Epson 3880 Driver vs. On-Printer paper settings.

Started Feb 20, 2013 | Discussions
JerryG1
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,227
Like?
Epson 3880 Driver vs. On-Printer paper settings.
Feb 20, 2013

Feeling  a little foolish for not looking into this earlier.  I have my Epson 3880 about  a year, getting mostly good results, but now am wondering if I've actually been using the paper settings I think I'm using.

I print from Lightroom, occasionally from Photoshop, and control the printer through the Epson driver--never made print settings directly on the printer.  Recently, I  noticed that my printer LCD displayed "Paper No.1" of the  "CUSTOM PAPER" group. Exploring that a bit revealed 11 options mysteriously  labeled "Standard" and "Paper No.1" through "Paper No.10".  These options specify things like platen gap, drying time, and other details --  details I usually select as a group by simply choosing a paper type in the driver.

So my first question is  why and when would anyone use these on-printer options instead of doing it through the driver?

Secondly, which prevails, driver or on-printer choices?  I don't see options to disable driver settings on the printer, or to disable printer settings in the driver.

Finally, does the LCD of the on-board controller possibly show my current and previous driver paper-selections, or were they factory programmed?  I'm wondering because I never entered all those Paper No.1, etc. values at the printer, and I never intentionally selected Paper No.1.

Incidentally, I changed the "Paper No.1" selection to "Standard" from the CUSTOM PAPER group, since that was devoid of preset values.

Running Windows 7, if that matters.

Appreciate comments from Epson users.

Thanks

-- hide signature --

JerryG
My galleries at:
http://www.pbase.com/jerryg1

Hugowolf
Forum ProPosts: 11,168
Like?
Re: Epson 3880 Driver vs. On-Printer paper settings.
In reply to JerryG1, Feb 21, 2013

I have never had enough time to spend looking at he undocumented features of the front panel. At some point, I think through the custom settings or custom media types of the driver’s dialog, get those settings to appear on the front panel. So for instance I have a setting (and media type) called Canson Rag, which I use for Canson Rag Photographique 310 g/m². When I choose that custom setting (or it could be custom media type), that wording appears on the front panel as the paper type when I am printing with that paper.

I recently moved studios, and build a new computer and in doing so went from Vista to Win 7, and I am not seeing that displayed on the front panel anymore – although the only thing I really look for on the front panel are the matte/photo and error messages, so it may be there.

The vagaries of Japanese software always amaze my western mind.

I also run an Epson 9890. A 44 inch model which I think postdates the 3880. There is far less communication between the software and the firmware than there is with the 3880. All I have with that are ten custom paper types, numbered 1 through 10. I have to keep a sheet next to the printer which listed the number and its corresponding paper name that I set in the driver’s dialog.

Both printers are from about the same time period and use the same inkset, but ICC paper profiles are not interchangeable. The 3880 has a nice utility that monitors ink usage by cartridge to the nearest 0.01 ml for each print job. It keeps a permanent log which you can export as a CSV file for analysis in a spreadsheet program (really useful for costing). The much more ‘professional’ wider format printers don’t have this.

Other things about the wider printer make more sense. When you select matte and have photo paper set, it actually asked you if you really want to make a PK/MK switch, With the 3880, if you do this accidently, there is no way to stop it – you can even unplug the printer, and it will continue with the switch. Same goes for wrong paper type, if I set a paper type in the printer’s dialog and have a different paper in the printer, it will ask for confirmation.

If you want to mess with custom settings on the front panel and via software (not just the driver dialog in play here but also the ‘remote panel software’), I would be real happy to applaud you publicly – it might only take a couple of seven hour days.

Brian A

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
JerryG1
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,227
Like?
In reply to Hugowolf, Feb 21, 2013

Hugowolf wrote:

I have never had enough time to spend looking at he undocumented features of the front panel. At some point, I think through the custom settings or custom media types of the driver’s dialog, get those settings to appear on the front panel. So for instance I have a setting (and media type) called Canson Rag, which I use for Canson Rag Photographique 310 g/m². When I choose that custom setting (or it could be custom media type), that wording appears on the front panel as the paper type when I am printing with that paper.

. ..

If you want to mess with custom settings on the front panel and via software (not just the driver dialog in play here but also the ‘remote panel software’), I would be real happy to applaud you publicly – it might only take a couple of seven hour days.

Brian A

Thanks for your response Brian. That, and a conversation this morning with a tech at the Epson USA "pro" support center makes me feel that I'm not alone in being mystified by the Epson driver/control panel logic.

Basically, I asked the tech the same three questions I asked in my original post. In each case he managed to answer a different question than the one I asked. I was about to conclude that I had accidentally reached some politician's office, when on the second asking he gave me a straight answer to "which prevails, driver or control panel?"

"Driver" was the answer this time. "Always use the driver. Don't use the control panel to make paper settings."

I guess, like me, Epson USA has not much documentation on that printer control interface. If they don't know much about it, and I don't need it. I think I'll forget about it.

Strange, that whole episode.

PS I don't mean to knock Epson support. On the whole they have been more accessible and helpful than most, in my experience. I suspect my issue reflects the kind of product-knowledge gap that sometimes happens when manufacturer and support are half-a-world apart.

-- hide signature --

JerryG
My galleries at:
http://www.pbase.com/jerryg1

Hugowolf
Forum ProPosts: 11,168
Like?
In reply to JerryG1, Feb 21, 2013

JerryG1 wrote:

Hugowolf wrote:

. ..

Brian A

Thanks for your response Brian. ...

Sorry about the typographical, syntactical, and grammatical errors. English isn’t a second language for me. I am actually a polyglot: I do both English and American – but I do neither well at a keyboard and can’t proof read my own stuff. You seem to have translated well enough.

Brian A

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads