New Nex 3N

Started Feb 20, 2013 | Discussions
Astrophotographer 10
Senior MemberPosts: 4,605Gear list
Like?
New Nex 3N
Feb 20, 2013

I read the release info on DPreview. I did not see them mention a price.

Does anyone know the price of this camera?

Greg.

D Cox
Senior MemberPosts: 7,029
Like?
Re: New Nex 3N
In reply to Astrophotographer 10, Feb 20, 2013

Astrophotographer 10 wrote:

Greg.

There is no single price, it will vary in different countries and from different dealers. But it will be close to the previous NEX 3s.

This is the entry model and it must be priced accordingly. I envy anyone who starts out in photography with one of these.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Kashmir442
Regular MemberPosts: 174
Like?
In reply to D Cox, Feb 20, 2013

D Cox wrote:

Astrophotographer 10 wrote:

Greg.

There is no single price, it will vary in different countries and from different dealers. But it will be close to the previous NEX 3s.

This is the entry model and it must be priced accordingly. I envy anyone who starts out in photography with one of these.

With the old sensor (same as F3 / 5N), old LCD screen, no accessory port, no wireless, etc. I'll bet they are trying to keep this the costs way down on this one. This will give more separation from the 5 series, and I'd guess Sony is hoping to scoop up lots of low-end point-and-shoot upgraders. They'd hope that some portion of people that buy in cheap will pick up an extra lens or two and then hey - it makes sense to step up to a 5 or 6 series next because you've already got some lenses.

If I didn't already have the RX100, I'd maybe think about this one with the 16-50 pancake as my carry-in-the-work-bag-everyday camera.

Sonyshine
Senior MemberPosts: 4,479Gear list
Like?
In reply to Kashmir442, Feb 20, 2013

It will have to be about £300 - £350 UK price with a kit lens I would think.

Sonyshine's gear list:Sonyshine's gear list
Nikon 1 V1 Fujifilm X-E1 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-300mm f/4.5-5.6G VR Nikon AF-S DX Micro Nikkor 40mm F2.8 Nikon 1 Nikkor VR 10-30mm f/3.5-5.6 +6 more
Kalabalik
Junior MemberPosts: 27Gear list
Like?
In reply to Sonyshine, Feb 20, 2013

Sonyshine wrote:

That sounds a little too good to be true. The 16-50 PZ alone costs £300.

Kalabalik's gear list:Kalabalik's gear list
Sony Alpha NEX-5N Sony E 35mm F1.8 OSS
Sonyshine
Like?
In reply to Kalabalik, Feb 20, 2013

Well I bought my NEXF3 with the kit lens for £299 PLUS £50 cashback which netts down to £249....and this is its replacement?

Nikon 1 V1 Fujifilm X-E1 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-300mm f/4.5-5.6G VR Nikon AF-S DX Micro Nikkor 40mm F2.8 Nikon 1 Nikkor VR 10-30mm f/3.5-5.6 +6 more
Helen
Senior MemberPosts: 2,864
Like?

Be  be Kalabalik wrote:

Sonyshine wrote:

One UK site says £400, which is pretty impressive as it's supposed to include the 16-50.  The camera looks attractively styled and compact, but I note the loss of the accessory port (so the F3 turns out to be is unique among the 3's in being able to use the accessory EVF), whilst the limited downward tilt of the F3's LCD has been replaced by no downward tilt at all.

Sonyshine
Like?
In reply to Helen, Feb 20, 2013

The downward screen tilt does not matter, if its like the NEXF3 you just turn the camera upside down and the screen picture rotates so that overhead shooting works perfectly - something a lot of reviewers did not pick up on! You kinda have to hold it and use it to fully understand!

If its being launched at £400 then it will soon be at £350 - about right! 

isvana
Regular MemberPosts: 203Gear list
Like?
Re: New Nex 3N = downspecced

This is more of a NEX-2 with its poorer resolution display (and aforementioned loss of the accessory port). I see the continuous shutter speed is reduced too. Probably the poorer screen is the most significant part, although not being able to add system components (EVF, better flash) almost delegates this to NEX-1 status!

isvana's gear list:isvana's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-ZS3 Panasonic Lumix DMC-TS3 Sony Alpha NEX-6
D Cox
Senior MemberPosts: 7,029
Like?
In reply to isvana, Feb 20, 2013

isvana wrote:

This is more of a NEX-2 with its poorer resolution display (and aforementioned loss of the accessory port). I see the continuous shutter speed is reduced too. Probably the poorer screen is the most significant part, although not being able to add system components (EVF, better flash) almost delegates this to NEX-1 status!

It's the entry model. It isn't aimed at DPReview readers.

My first (film) camera had interchangeable lenses, an extension tube, and a flash sync socket, but no focussing aid at all (you had to measure or guess the distance), a plain optical viewfinder, no light meter (but the film came with a useful leaflet suggesting exposures for Cloudy Bright etc).

Even so, I managed to shoot correctly exposed and in-focus colour slides, after some practice with B&W negs.

Many people started on plastic Russian cameras with similar specs.

Anyone who starts on a Sony 3N has a vastly better camera and is almost guaranteed technically excellent photos from the first day.

BubbaHotepUK
Regular MemberPosts: 410Gear list
Like?

Kalabalik wrote:

Sonyshine wrote:

If it does hit the £350 mark, it's almost a no-brainer to buy if you want the PZ 16-50 for an existing NEX. You get the spare battery & body for next to no extra cost

BubbaHotepUK's gear list:BubbaHotepUK's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ200 Sony Alpha NEX-7 Canon EOS 70D Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX7 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GM1
zygh
Senior MemberPosts: 1,798Gear list
Like?
In reply to Astrophotographer 10, Feb 20, 2013

probably around 500 euros in merkel-reich (formely known as the eu)...

zygh's gear list:zygh's gear list
Nikon D40 NEX5R Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6G VR Sony E 18-55mm F3.5-5.6 OSS Sony E 16mm F2.8 Pancake +2 more
Sonyshine
Like?
In reply to zygh, Feb 20, 2013

£399 at WEX with the 16-50 lens.....so that will be £350 soon ! 

zygh
Senior MemberPosts: 1,798Gear list
Like?

Sonyshine wrote:

£399 at WEX with the 16-50 lens.....so that will be £350 soon !

yup, seems a bit cheaper in englistan...

zygh's gear list:zygh's gear list
Nikon D40 NEX5R Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6G VR Sony E 18-55mm F3.5-5.6 OSS Sony E 16mm F2.8 Pancake +2 more
Helen
Senior MemberPosts: 2,864
Like?
In reply to Sonyshine, Feb 21, 2013

Sonyshine wrote:

The downward screen tilt does not matter, if its like the NEXF3 you just turn the camera upside down and the screen picture rotates so that overhead shooting works perfectly - something a lot of reviewers did not pick up on! You kinda have to hold it and use it to fully understand!

Good point! Though I find using a camera upside down a bit awkward, personally - but maybe my coordination is poor. Also, when I was using my briefly-owned NEX-6 (nice camera) upside down for a completely separate reason (actually, to work out whether some one-sided softness to the results was a problem with its particular 16-50 lens or just an artefact due to the subject/shooting conditions) it caused the shutter to malfunction, to my surprise, giving partially cropped images. The issue only occurred whilst it was upside down, but it's made me cautious about inverting modern cameras with focal plane shutters, just in case, as it was clearly stressing the shutter function!

I do think it's a shame that the resolution of the 3N's LCD has been downgraded as well - something I hadn't spotted initially when I scanned the specs. The price, size and styling are impressive (at least from my point of view), but some of the downgrades seem a shame - though Sony is apparently trying to more clearly differentiate its models in the NEX family, which is probably sensible.

If its being launched at £400 then it will soon be at £350 - about right!

True. The F3 was massively overpriced in the UK on its launch (over £500, more than the then-current 5N) though it did of course fall a lot, and very rapidly (as did the 5R, though the fall on the 6 has been a lot slower and not so far).

spacemn
Contributing MemberPosts: 831
Like?
In reply to Astrophotographer 10, Feb 21, 2013

It's a tempting little piece:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ut7RnW2KUvs

Build and materials seem nicer than the NEX-6. Quite impressive.

The only niggle I have is that the screen res is downgraded. Big let down!

If the rumor holds, $500 including the 1650PZ, then it is very tempting. The NEX-7 and the 3N could make for a nice set ;P

Ian Cockram
New MemberPosts: 6
Like?
In reply to Kashmir442, Feb 23, 2013

Kashmir442 wrote:

If I didn't already have the RX100, I'd maybe think about this one with the 16-50 pancake as my carry-in-the-work-bag-everyday camera.

My RX100 was recently stolen and much as you suggested above, my dilemma is to either replace with the same or wait for the 3N. I have no experience with NEX cameras. Which do you think is likely to produce the best picture quality? Cheers

joun
Junior MemberPosts: 37
Like?
In reply to Astrophotographer 10, Feb 23, 2013

I was tempted to buy the 5R body only but am tempted by this if it hits the shops before March 16th (going on holiday and need a travel camera)

WIFI? RAW? Video capabilities vs 5R? Possible to use off camera flash?

WillMc
Regular MemberPosts: 120Gear list
Like?
In reply to joun, Feb 24, 2013

I think you might still want to look at the F3. It's pretty cheap now, and it's got a lot to recommend it.

WillMc's gear list:WillMc's gear list
Sony E 18-55mm F3.5-5.6 OSS Sony E 55-210mm F4.5-6.3 OSS +1 more
sergerez
Regular MemberPosts: 189
Like?
In reply to D Cox, Feb 24, 2013

D Cox wrote:

isvana wrote:

It's the entry model. It isn't aimed at DPReview readers.

My first (film) camera had interchangeable lenses, an extension tube, and a flash sync socket, but no focussing aid at all (you had to measure or guess the distance), a plain optical viewfinder, no light meter (but the film came with a useful leaflet suggesting exposures for Cloudy Bright etc).

Even so, I managed to shoot correctly exposed and in-focus colour slides, after some practice with B&W negs.

Many people started on plastic Russian cameras with similar specs.

Anyone who starts on a Sony 3N has a vastly better camera and is almost guaranteed technically excellent photos from the first day.

Just curious: which 'plastic Russian cameras' in particular you're referring to: all Zenit, FED, Zorkiy series were metal, quite heavy bodies. Unless you're talking about some toy cameras, which I don't even recall. No offence here.

Regards,

Serge

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads