Why is the new 50/1.4 three times more expensive than the old one?

Started Feb 20, 2013 | Discussions
dpyy
Contributing MemberPosts: 799
Like?
Why is the new 50/1.4 three times more expensive than the old one?
Feb 20, 2013

Why is the new 50/1.4 three times more expensive than the old one? What's the difference? Just paid for CZ badge?

headfirst
Contributing MemberPosts: 584Gear list
Like?
Re: Why is the new 35/1.4 three times more expensive than the old one?
In reply to dpyy, Feb 20, 2013

what new 35/1.4?

If you meant 50/1.4 then it's a 30 year newer design with R&D costs at 201x prices not 198x ones (in fact the development costs on the old one will have been recovered/written off years ago), it's SSM & yes, Zeiss licencing costs. & they won't be anticipating selling as many so R&D has to be recovered on a smaller no. of lenses.

headfirst's gear list:headfirst's gear list
Konica Minolta Maxxum 7D Sony Alpha DSLR-A200 Sony Alpha DSLR-A700 Sony Alpha DSLR-A580 Sony SLT-A77 +7 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
dpyy
Contributing MemberPosts: 799
Like?
In reply to headfirst, Feb 20, 2013

headfirst wrote:

what new 35/1.4?

If you meant 50/1.4 then it's a 30 year newer design with R&D costs at 201x prices not 198x ones (in fact the development costs on the old one will have been recovered/written off years ago), it's SSM & yes, Zeiss licencing costs. & they won't be anticipating selling as many so R&D has to be recovered on a smaller no. of lenses.

sorry I meant 50/1.4. So basically pay to upgrade to SSM?

headfirst
Like?

well, I imagine that IQ is also going to be noticeably better.

Konica Minolta Maxxum 7D Sony Alpha DSLR-A200 Sony Alpha DSLR-A700 Sony Alpha DSLR-A580 Sony SLT-A77 +7 more
cs hauser
Contributing MemberPosts: 660
Like?

dpyy wrote:

headfirst wrote:

what new 35/1.4?

Do you honestly believe that the AF motor is the only difference between a 30-year old Minolta design and a brand new Zeiss design?

RandyPD
Regular MemberPosts: 250
Like?

Well basically, it has better glass, better coatings, better AF motor. Zeiss lenses were never cheap and they retain their value over time. As far as value is concerned, is it that much better for the money you pay? The perception of 'value' is very subjective, some people would pay a lot for a smidgen of improvement and some won't.

alphacam
Contributing MemberPosts: 949Gear list
Like?
Re: Why is the new 50/1.4 three times more expensive than the old one?

Planar type.  Also 2 aspheric elements/glass for clean pictures.

alphacam's gear list:alphacam's gear list
Sony SLT-A99 Adobe Photoshop CS6
headfirst
Like?
In reply to alphacam, Feb 20, 2013

& weatherproof

tnagy
Regular MemberPosts: 104Gear list
Like?
In reply to headfirst, Feb 20, 2013

& takes pictures without a body

tnagy's gear list:tnagy's gear list
Sony SLT-A99 Sigma 10-20mm F4-5.6 EX DC HSM Tamron SP AF 90mm F/2.8 Di Macro Tamron SP 70-300mm F/4-5.6 Di VC USD Adobe Photoshop Lightroom 5 +5 more
Tom2572
Contributing MemberPosts: 954
Like?
In reply to cs hauser, Feb 20, 2013

cs hauser wrote:

dpyy wrote:

headfirst wrote:

what new 35/1.4?

Do you honestly believe that the AF motor is the only difference between a 30-year old Minolta design and a brand new Zeiss design?

Planar is a brand new lens design?

Nordstjernen
Veteran MemberPosts: 6,104Gear list
Like?

dpyy wrote:

Why is the new 50/1.4 three times more expensive than the old one? What's the difference? Just paid for CZ badge?

- Much more expensive glass to optimize optical performance

- SSM drive, silent and fast internal focusing system

- Much higher build quality

- The small blue Zeiss logo also adds cost

Nordstjernen's gear list:Nordstjernen's gear list
Sony SLT-A99 Sony Alpha 7
moimoi
Senior MemberPosts: 2,691Gear list
Like?

I would be interested in comparing the optical performance of this lens with the sigma version at f/1.4. Not sure the zeiss version is worth the price?

Stv
Stv
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,493Gear list
Like?
Quite simple, really............
In reply to moimoi, Feb 20, 2013

It's a three way cash grab with many fingers in the profit pie.

100% markup to Carl Zeiss for design/license

100% markup for sub-contractor manufacturer/assembler

100% markup for SONY the marketer/seller

........ and a pittance for the retailer, I'm sure.

Stv

-- hide signature --

Simplify_balancE_eXclude
http://stv.smugmug.com/

lross
Junior MemberPosts: 44
Like?

Maybe it good image quality compared to the old one.    I think the old one was junk.  I had the old Sony 50mm F1.4 and it was very soft wide open compared to the sigma.   So I sold it and kept the Sigma.

Nordstjernen
Veteran MemberPosts: 6,104Gear list
Like?
In reply to lross, Feb 20, 2013

lross wrote:

Maybe it good image quality compared to the old one. I think the old one was junk. I had the old Sony 50mm F1.4 and it was very soft wide open compared to the sigma. So I sold it and kept the Sigma.

Wide open softer than Sigma, and not the same smooth bokeh. But stopped down, better than the Sigma. The Minolta/Sony was a very good 50 mm bright prime when it came.

The question is: Do you use your 50 mm wide open (Sigma) or stopped down (Sony)?

Hope the Zeiss is great at all apertures, since I really like this focal length and the aperture blades on my Sony 50 mm f:1.4 is stuck forever. Would be great with faster focus and SSM too, and I think all Zeiss lenses are built for long time everyday use.

Nordstjernen's gear list:Nordstjernen's gear list
Sony SLT-A99 Sony Alpha 7
yakkosmurf
Senior MemberPosts: 2,052Gear list
Like?

We only know one part of the value equation at this point. The price justification has to wait until we see how it performs. If it performs similar to the Zeiss 85 and 135 lenses, then it will be worth considering. The trade offs of the Sony and Sigma lenses had me waiting to get a 50mm prime. If the new lens is sharp all the way around, it will be on my list.

yakkosmurf's gear list:yakkosmurf's gear list
Sony Alpha DSLR-A850 Sony 16-35mm F2.8 ZA SSM Carl Zeiss Vario-Sonnar T* Sony 24-70mm F2.8 ZA SSM Carl Zeiss Vario-Sonnar T* Sony 70-400mm F4-5.6 G SSM Sony 135mm F1.8 ZA Carl Zeiss Sonnar T* +7 more
tqlla
Senior MemberPosts: 1,364Gear list
Like?
In reply to Tom2572, Feb 20, 2013

Tom2572 wrote:

cs hauser wrote:

dpyy wrote:

headfirst wrote:

what new 35/1.4?

Planar is a brand new lens design?

Were there 50mm Zeiss Planar SSM lenses in the past?

tqlla's gear list:tqlla's gear list
Sony Alpha DSLR-A850 Sony SLT-A77 Sony Alpha NEX-6 Sony Alpha NEX-3N Sony 50mm F1.4 +11 more
Andrew53
Regular MemberPosts: 263Gear list
Like?
In reply to tqlla, Feb 20, 2013

Zeiss Planar f1.4 for Canon and Nikon is soft wide open with harsh bokeh. At f2.8 it is very sharp and the bokeh is OK.

Zeiss Makro Planar f2.0 is sharp wide open and bokeh is pretty nice.

Andrew53's gear list:Andrew53's gear list
Fujifilm FinePix X100 Sony RX100 Fujifilm X100S Canon EOS 5D Mark II Leica M9 +65 more
moimoi
Senior MemberPosts: 2,691Gear list
Like?
In reply to Nordstjernen, Feb 20, 2013

Nordstjernen wrote:

lross wrote:

Maybe it good image quality compared to the old one. I think the old one was junk. I had the old Sony 50mm F1.4 and it was very soft wide open compared to the sigma. So I sold it and kept the Sigma.

Wide open softer than Sigma, and not the same smooth bokeh. But stopped down, better than the Sigma. The Minolta/Sony was a very good 50 mm bright prime when it came.

I think using a 50 mm f/1.4 at f/5.6 makes little sense to me, specially since I can get fantastic results with the 24-70 at f/5.6.  To me, if one seeks a f/1.4 lens, 95% should be taken at f/1.4-2.

The question is: Do you use your 50 mm wide open (Sigma) or stopped down (Sony)?

Hope the Zeiss is great at all apertures, since I really like this focal length and the aperture blades on my Sony 50 mm f:1.4 is stuck forever. Would be great with faster focus and SSM too, and I think all Zeiss lenses are built for long time everyday use.

-- hide signature --

All harsh, impolite and/or unreasonable replies will be simply ignored.
Measurebators are out of my world, photography is not about babbling behind a computer... but rather being out of your home, shoot and share photographs with other people. Shoot and Share...Thanks.

nemist
Regular MemberPosts: 331
Like?
In reply to moimoi, Feb 20, 2013

I think Sony is doing themselves a disservice here--the 85 and 135 and 24 CZ are all priced well according to similar lenses in other camps. A 50 1.4 lens is not that terriblely expensive to make, so charging this much seems excessive.  Nikon, Sigma, Canon all offer decent 50s for under $500. If Sony wants to charge this much, it better be a legendary performer wide open.

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads