Fujifilm XM-1?

Started Feb 20, 2013 | Discussions
Pelex
Regular MemberPosts: 121
Like?
Fujifilm XM-1?
Feb 20, 2013

Just when you think Fuji has all the bases covered with the X lineup (short of FF), this rumor pops up.

Wasn't there some speculation awhile back about a "budget" model positioned between

the X10 - X100?  Or was it between the XF1 - X10?  Would it have the X-Trans?..fixed or zoom lens?

I have my heart set on the X100S, but was curious if anyone else has heard of this?

Fujifilm X10 Fujifilm X100S
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
hellocrowley
Senior MemberPosts: 1,171
Like?
Re: Fujifilm XM-1?
In reply to Pelex, Feb 20, 2013

Probably in the vein of Nex5n: no viewfinder, smaller body and less controls. That is if it exists.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
nawknai
Contributing MemberPosts: 943Gear list
Like?

I'm a long-time Apple user (not a fanboy, mind you), but I hope Fuji follows Apple's creed of not (intentionally) making a crappy product just for the sake of offering products at all price points.
So far, Fuji hasn't succumb to making cheap, bad lenses, and I hope they continue this with their camera line.

Offering a "budget" X-E1 would probably mean that there's no OVF or EVF, so you'd have just the rear LCD to compose with. I always felt that Fuji was selling products blessed with both ​form ​and​ function, not just a retro form for the sake of having it (e.g. the early Olympus m4/3 offerings). Imagine having such great manual controls on a camera that you're holding in front of you at arms length!!

Besides, why follow a bad recipe used by other manufacturers? Creating pared-down products always feels like a race to the bottom, and I don't see many manufacturers increase their success by offering more cheap crap than their competitors. Long term, these companies fade (e.g. Acer and their netbooks = short term success, long term invisibility).

They're low profit margin products offered by the manufacturers, it doesn't help their brand image (no pun intended), and when you're talking about the camera industry, these customers are the ones who stick with the kit lens and never buy a 2nd lens, so there's little motivation for a manufacturer to increase their marketshare and lens sales by increasing their share of the camera market by moving cheap cameras.

nawknai's gear list:nawknai's gear list
Fujifilm FinePix X100 Fujifilm X-Pro1 +1 more
straylightrun
Contributing MemberPosts: 883Gear list
Like?
In reply to nawknai, Feb 20, 2013

nawknai wrote:

I'm a long-time Apple user (not a fanboy, mind you), but I hope Fuji follows Apple's creed of not (intentionally) making a crappy product just for the sake of offering products at all price points.
So far, Fuji hasn't succumb to making cheap, bad lenses, and I hope they continue this with their camera line.

Offering a "budget" X-E1 would probably mean that there's no OVF or EVF, so you'd have just the rear LCD to compose with. I always felt that Fuji was selling products blessed with both ​form ​and​ function, not just a retro form for the sake of having it (e.g. the early Olympus m4/3 offerings). Imagine having such great manual controls on a camera that you're holding in front of you at arms length!!

Besides, why follow a bad recipe used by other manufacturers? Creating pared-down products always feels like a race to the bottom, and I don't see many manufacturers increase their success by offering more cheap crap than their competitors. Long term, these companies fade (e.g. Acer and their netbooks = short term success, long term invisibility).

They're low profit margin products offered by the manufacturers, it doesn't help their brand image (no pun intended), and when you're talking about the camera industry, these customers are the ones who stick with the kit lens and never buy a 2nd lens, so there's little motivation for a manufacturer to increase their marketshare and lens sales by increasing their share of the camera market by moving cheap cameras.

So what you're pretty much saying is:

"I have no need for this type of camera with no EVF, cheap build and less manual control features at a cheaper price point. Therefore no one else must have a need for this camera and Fujifilm should not make such a camera because they won't make much profit based on my opinion that netbooks are similar to mirrorless cameras (ignoring the fact they are a completely different product and also ignoring the success of Sony and Panasonic's basic entry level mirrorless cameras in Asia) because I know what is best for a big company like Fujifilm and they should not expand as a company because it conflicts with my personal preferences on how a camera should properly function."

straylightrun's gear list:straylightrun's gear list
Sony Alpha 7S Sony E 16mm F2.8 Pancake Sony 50mm F1.4 Sony 85mm F2.8 SAM Sony E PZ 18-200mm F3.5-6.3 OSS +6 more
miro3
Senior MemberPosts: 1,829
Like?

Pelex wrote:

Just when you think Fuji has all the bases covered with the X lineup (short of FF), this rumor pops up.

Wasn't there some speculation awhile back about a "budget" model positioned between

the X10 - X100? Or was it between the XF1 - X10? Would it have the X-Trans?..fixed or zoom lens?

I have my heart set on the X100S, but was curious if anyone else has heard of this?

As you are saying, this is all speculation for now, and there is no point to discuss it until Fuji announces the model.

nicolaru
Regular MemberPosts: 134
Like?

How about an X-E1 with M-mount?

George Paulides
Contributing MemberPosts: 903
Like?
In reply to nicolaru, Feb 20, 2013

nicolaru wrote:

How about an X-E1 with M-mount?

Why would they do that?

nicolaru
Regular MemberPosts: 134
Like?
In reply to George Paulides, Feb 20, 2013

Same reason they made an M-mount adapter...to tap into the M-mount market. Plus I did not say they will make it, it was more of a question. I have doubts they would make one. Would steal sales from Fuji lens.

zbone
New MemberPosts: 19
Like?

If there is an adapter for existing range why would they produce another body with M-mount? What gives?

I don't get it.

tazmac
Regular MemberPosts: 360Gear list
Like?
Nippon Magazine published their guess...
George Paulides
Contributing MemberPosts: 903
Like?

nicolaru wrote:

Same reason they made an M-mount adapter...to tap into the M-mount market. Plus I did not say they will make it, it was more of a question. I have doubts they would make one. Would steal sales from Fuji lens.

It will not happen. You already know the reason why.

Schnurri
Junior MemberPosts: 30Gear list
Like?
Re: Nippon Magazine published their guess...
In reply to tazmac, Feb 20, 2013

tazmac wrote:

http://www.fujirumors.com/nippon-magazine-speculation-three-new-x-cameras-to-come-in-2013/

Great! I wanted to buy an X-E1 by the end of June at the latest because I'll be on vacation at the end of July. Now what do I do?

Schnurri's gear list:Schnurri's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ3 Fujifilm X-E1
mngsmt
Regular MemberPosts: 293
Like?
In reply to Schnurri, Feb 20, 2013

Schnurri wrote:

Great! I wanted to buy an X-E1 by the end of June at the latest because I'll be on vacation at the end of July. Now what do I do?

Buy now, enjoy your camera and forget about rumors. You can still update next year if the rumor turns out to be true and you really think it's worth it. By then you will have taken thousands of photos with a very nice camera.

Mr Sincere
Regular MemberPosts: 316Gear list
Like?
In reply to Schnurri, Feb 20, 2013

Schnurri wrote:

Do what I did:  Buy it used directly from Amazon.com for $1061.    If a new one does come out soon, you can turn around and eBay it for not a whole lot less than you paid (actually, currently, I could eBay the body and lens for more than I paid).

Mr Sincere's gear list:Mr Sincere's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-LX7 G1 X II Nikon D90 Olympus OM-D E-M5 Nikon AF Nikkor 28mm f/2.8D +4 more
nawknai
Contributing MemberPosts: 943Gear list
Like?
In reply to straylightrun, Feb 20, 2013

straylightrun wrote:

nawknai wrote:

So what you're pretty much saying is:

"I have no need for this type of camera with no EVF, cheap build and less manual control features at a cheaper price point. Therefore no one else must have a need for this camera and Fujifilm should not make such a camera because they won't make much profit based on my opinion that netbooks are similar to mirrorless cameras (ignoring the fact they are a completely different product and also ignoring the success of Sony and Panasonic's basic entry level mirrorless cameras in Asia) because I know what is best for a big company like Fujifilm and they should not expand as a company because it conflicts with my personal preferences on how a camera should properly function."

No, what I said was that I don't think Fuji should build cheap crap for the sake of competing with other companies who are selling cheap crap.  It doesn't help them sell lenses, it doesn't help their brand, and profit margins are low.

I think the "low" end is covered with the X20 or XF cameras.  I wouldn't mind seeing an EVF/OVF/hybridVF free camera, as long as it wasn't crap, and that means a "budget" camera would still be ~$800-900.    If it was less, I don't see how they could avoid swimming in the shallow end of the pool.

nawknai's gear list:nawknai's gear list
Fujifilm FinePix X100 Fujifilm X-Pro1 +1 more
Imagefoundry
Regular MemberPosts: 269
Like?

correct me if I am wrong but:

Fuji X100 and XPro1 systems seem to be positioned to be a premium brand with retro looks. Even the retro look and manual controls are used to reinforce the premium aspect.

Within this scheme there's just no room for anything "budget". I would even venture and state that XE1 release was a mistake, from brand recognition/coherence point of view. Ok, we already know that Fuji marketing dept. is not a sharpest pencil in the set but going even more budget than XE1 is pretty incomprehensible to me.

Buhl213
Regular MemberPosts: 161Gear list
Like?
In reply to tazmac, Feb 20, 2013

tazmac wrote:

http://www.fujirumors.com/nippon-magazine-speculation-three-new-x-cameras-to-come-in-2013/

If anything, the dates are interesting - E1/Pro1 are bound to come in a new iteration, and the M is unspecified. But the dates are of little interest until factual.

To me, the most interesting about the rumour is that it does not incorporate an X-S2

wchutt
Senior MemberPosts: 1,252Gear list
Like?
In reply to Pelex, Feb 21, 2013

Of course M stands for  monochrome only. I thought everybody knew this.

This is a B&W only camera that has twice the signal to noise ratio of the XE and XP1 cameras because there is no color filter array or IR filter to attenuate the light before it reaches the sensor sites. Imagine ISO 1600 looking as clean and detailed as ISO 400. The dynamic range and B&W tonality will be mind blowing. Order yours early because the demand will go through the roof.

wchutt's gear list:wchutt's gear list
Fujifilm X-Pro1 Fujifilm X-T1 Fujifilm XF 18mm F2 R Fujifilm XF 35mm F1.4 R Fujifilm XF 14mm F2.8 R +20 more
Imagefoundry
Regular MemberPosts: 269
Like?
In reply to wchutt, Feb 21, 2013

won't that be nice! I'll trade the xpro1 for a monochrome version like in a heartbeat. Well, a guy can dream, right?

ci-lee
Junior MemberPosts: 26
Like?
In reply to Pelex, Mar 4, 2013

I'm of the mindset that it would be an entry level ILC as well. Tho I hope it would have the following:
- same X-Trans II/EXR II setup like the X100s. Would be very surprised if a sensor between the 2/3" and APS-C were developed tho I wouldn't mind a slightly downsized sensor if it used the same mount as the rest of the system and the body were sized like an X10/20...
- body style ala X10/20. I own an XP1 & soon to be X20 (formerly X10) and while I enjoy the retro control, I do like the mode dial layout as well (C1 & C2 are great!!). Just add an extra command dial on the front of the camera (not like the X10/20 rear sub-dial) and control of aperture and shutter is still breeze. One nit pick I have with the hard dials of the XP/XE/X100 is the need to use secondary controls for 1/3 stop increments...
- Add-on EVF with flash pass-thru or built in flash like X100 (to wirelessly control my EF-X20!)
- same build quality as the rest of the X-series..don't dilute the theme of the line with plasticky toys, we're fans BECAUSE of the overall package not just IQ and looks!
- wouldn't mind a tilt-screen...having an X-P/E on a hand strap to use with VF and a secondary body on a shoulder strap with a tilt screen for off-the-hip street shooting = awesome!! I would have the upcoming 56mm on my XP and the 14mm or CZ 12mm on the hip camera. Street shooters dream 
- price it @ $699/body or $849/kit ($249 for the EVF??) and that would bring a whole new demographic to the X-Series...and for us loyal existing ILC customers, a 2nd or 3rd Fuji body!!

-- hide signature --

ci-lee

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads