Quick pool, em-5 or gh-3

Started Feb 20, 2013 | Discussions
CedricL1984
Junior MemberPosts: 30Gear list
Like?
Quick pool, em-5 or gh-3
Feb 20, 2013

Just go with your heart and had 1-3 reasons why like: the gh3 has a better grip!

thanks all

CedricL1984's gear list:CedricL1984's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-G5 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 14-45mm F3.5-5.6 ASPH OIS Panasonic Leica Summilux DG 25mm F1.4 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 45mm 1:1.8 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 40-150mm 1:4-5.6 +4 more
Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH3
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Bob Tullis
Forum ProPosts: 26,555Gear list
Like?
Re: Quick pool, em-5 or gh-3
In reply to CedricL1984, Feb 20, 2013

CedricL1984 wrote:

Just go with your heart and had 1-3 reasons why like: the gh3 has a better grip!

Well, since you put it that way:

The other one, because it's not.

[splash!]

-- hide signature --

...Bob, NYC
http://www.bobtullis.com
"Well, sometimes the magic works. . . Sometimes, it doesn't." - Little Big Man

Bob Tullis's gear list:Bob Tullis's gear list
Olympus E-M1 Rokinon 7.5mm 1:3.5 UMC Fisheye CS Voigtlander Nokton 17.5mm F0.95 Aspherical Olympus 12-40mm F2.8 Olympus M.Zuiko ED 75-300mm 1:4.8-6.7 II +18 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
BrentR
Senior MemberPosts: 1,397
Like?

CedricL1984 wrote:

thanks allI

I like the E-M5 because it pushes Panasonic to do better. I like the GH3 because it pushes Olympus to do better.

Both great cameras. I really like the Olympus jpegs. I really like the GH3 video capability. I think I need both.... (I have an E-M5 but don't think it's better or worse than the GH3, just different attributes.)

Regards,

Brent

ryan2007
Veteran MemberPosts: 8,537Gear list
Like?

CedricL1984 wrote:

thanks all

It depends if you are starting from scratch like this is the first MFTs camera.  What prior photography experience you have. If you are already a MFTs user are you switching Manufactures or just upgrading.

without some background all the answers are potentially biased.

baxters
Veteran MemberPosts: 4,099Gear list
Like?

My heart says the GH3 is a fat fat water rat. Go away GH3. I have the EM5 but it's ugly too.

baxters's gear list:baxters's gear list
Olympus Body Cap Lens 15mm F8.0
lambert4
Senior MemberPosts: 1,242Gear list
Like?
Aside from lens compatibility they are totally different beasts ergonomicly...

I love the feel and look of the EM5 over the GH3 I would like some of the wi-fi technology of the GH3 on my EM5 but couldn't give up the slightly svelte shape, and inconspicuous nature of the design.  Often mistake for a film  body or a less serious camera and leaves folks at ease when I am using it.  That being said the menus on the Panasonics always seem simpler from my recollection with my older GH1 and GF1 but after a day or so the Oly becomes second nature.  The ability to invert the LCD screen for protection was appreciated but the further articulations I haven't missed nearly as much as I thought I would.

i think it all comes down to handling and individual preference if you are starting from scratch, if you have a few lens w/o IS then the Oly IBIS is amazing and a big consideration in making shaky photogs seem calm and collected.

Gotta get out and try each both seem to be great strides forward from respective companies, and worthy a competition to drive the m4/3 technology forward.

-- hide signature --

Here's to learning something new everyday, and remembering it the next.

lambert4's gear list:lambert4's gear list
Olympus OM-D E-M5
BingoCharlie
Contributing MemberPosts: 849
Like?
Re: Aside from lens compatibility they are totally different beasts ergonomicly...
In reply to lambert4, Feb 20, 2013

E-M5 stabilizes all lenses.  GH3 stabilizes none.

Inkheart
Regular MemberPosts: 334Gear list
Like?

The E-M5, because I got one.

-- hide signature --

Inkheart

Inkheart's gear list:Inkheart's gear list
Fujifilm FinePix HS20 EXR Olympus OM-D E-M5 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 45mm 1:1.8 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 12-50mm 1:3.5-6.3 EZ
jjholmes
Senior MemberPosts: 2,767
Like?

I like the thought of the GH3, but it appear to be quite large and the EM5 is the perfect size for me.  I know some may say that it is too small and to get a decent grip you have to add "pieces", but the modular nature (to add) is what I think makes the EM5 great.

Also, I am primarily a stills shooter and the video portion is not as important to me although in the future I may expand so that would make the GH3 quite enticing.

Lastly, the IBIS system in the EM5 is quite amazing and works so well with my favorite lenses from Oly, 45 and 75.

rrr_hhh
Veteran MemberPosts: 5,919Gear list
Like?
Re: Quick pool : em-5 for me

I prefer the E-M5 :

• the GH3 is too big
  • the Olympus user interface (menus, SCP, customizable buttons etc.) suits me better
  • the E-M5 has a remarkable IBIS
  • the GH3 lacks soul compared to the E-M5
  • the E-M5 had the best sensor when I got it 6 months ago and the GH3 doesn't offer more for still shooters.
-- hide signature --

rrr_hhh

razorfish
Regular MemberPosts: 342Gear list
Like?
This one is easy...

For video and stills: GH3

Stills only: E-M5

Art_P
Veteran MemberPosts: 9,089Gear list
Like?
E-M5 because...

it's the one I have

The optional grip is just right, and removable for when I want smaller

IBIS

Where was the GH-3 last May?

But if video was important to me, I'd probably look more closely at the Panny.

btw, I came from the E-520, and when thinking about upgrading, I was looking for something smaller, with a removable grip.  A swivel screen might have been nice but the tilt screen is fine.  Basically, the E-M5 ticked off all my 'want' boxes, and came out right when my E-520 was stolen.  I didn't want a camera w less grip (PEN) larger size (E-30/E-5) I wanted IBIS (no Panasonic) I wanted improved sensor and control dials... And it had to work w the few 4/3 lenses I had left.   Really, what choice did I have at the time?

-- hide signature --

Art P
"I am a creature of contrast,
of light and shadow.
I live where the two play together,
I thrive on the conflict"

Art_P's gear list:Art_P's gear list
Olympus OM-D E-M5 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 40-150mm 1:4-5.6 R Panasonic Lumix G 14mm F2.5 ASPH Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 45mm 1:1.8 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 9-18mm 1:4.0-5.6 +2 more
Alumna Gorp
Senior MemberPosts: 1,531Gear list
Like?
In reply to rrr_hhh, Feb 20, 2013

I went with the OMD, the older Panasonic GH2 seemed dated and the GH3 was not available.

But I like both, my reasons.

OMD

Ibis, small neat size, handling.

GH3

Almost DSLR size, probably best with the larger lenses, the nobs and buttons, its video.

Alumna Gorp's gear list:Alumna Gorp's gear list
Fujifilm X10 Olympus OM-D E-M5 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GF2 Panasonic Lumix DMC-G2 Panasonic Lumix G 14mm F2.5 ASPH +4 more
vincent filomena
Veteran MemberPosts: 5,106Gear list
Like?
The Magical One:

The Magical EPL5: It's half the price, and ONE point higher on DXO !

Vjim 

vincent filomena's gear list:vincent filomena's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-LF1 Panasonic Lumix DMC-G5 Olympus PEN E-PL5 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 60mm 1:2.8 Macro Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 45mm 1:1.8 +1 more
Mark B UK
Contributing MemberPosts: 965Gear list
Like?
In reply to rrr_hhh, Feb 20, 2013

rrr_hhh wrote:

I prefer the E-M5 :

• the GH3 is too big
  • the Olympus user interface (menus, SCP, customizable buttons etc.) suits me better
  • the E-M5 has a remarkable IBIS
  • the GH3 lacks soul compared to the E-M5
  • the E-M5 had the best sensor when I got it 6 months ago and the GH3 doesn't offer more for still shooters.
-- hide signature --

rrr_hhh

I agree with all these points. For a keen video shooter, the GH-3 is possibly the best camera money can buy. Otherwise, I thnk the case for preferring the E-M5 is compelling.

In particular, a point hat shines through as a result of regular use is the intuitiveness and flexibility of the two control dials - one on the front of the right-hand side, the other on the back. Pretty much everything that matters can be driven from those dials - increasing or decreasing the exposure, changing the relationship between shutter speed and aperture, shifting the focus area - all with the camera to the eye.

Another feature I like is the EVF's ability to indicate areas likely to be burned out or lost in shadow. Combine that with setting one of the dials to control exposure compensation and there's no need to live with clipped highlights or blocked shadows.

But above all I like the fact that it's so small. When pared with high-performance Zuiko primes - which are, of course, stabilised only on Oly bodies - you have a small, light, metal-bodied, enthusiast system that reminds me of (hopefully this won't sound too sacreligious) my old Leica film camera.

Mark B UK's gear list:Mark B UK's gear list
Olympus OM-D E-M5 Panasonic 12-35mm F2.8 Panasonic Lumix G X Vario 35-100mm F2.8 OIS Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 12mm 1:2 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 60mm 1:2.8 Macro
Franz Weber
Regular MemberPosts: 299Gear list
Like?
This would be perfect!

I want the GH3 guts in a G5 sized and shaped body plus the EM-5 IBIS system and JPEG colours. Top this with a multi aspect ratio sensor ala GH2, but with modern sensor technic.

If I could have this cam, I call it the Panalympus OMG-H53, I would never buy another camera anymore.

-- hide signature --

allways look on the bright side of live!

Franz Weber's gear list:Franz Weber's gear list
Olympus Stylus 1 Panasonic Lumix DMC-G6
Len_Gee
Veteran MemberPosts: 7,459Gear list
Like?

CedricL1984 wrote:

thanks all

My three reasons:

If I were going on a cruise, my choice would be a silver OMD EM5 with kit lens.

Why? Because I would not need to worry if water splashed on it from the pool.

And the silver body reflects heat and stays cooler than a black one.

Len_Gee's gear list:Len_Gee's gear list
Sony RX100 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX1 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 7-14mm F4 ASPH Panasonic Lumix G Vario 45-200mm F4-5.6 OIS Panasonic Leica Summilux DG 25mm F1.4
texinwien
Senior MemberPosts: 2,650Gear list
Like?
E-M5 for the size

GH3 looks like a very nice camera, but I switched to m43 for the smaller size. I was shopping first and foremost for a smaller camera (than my ASP-C DSLR) that I would feel comfortable carrying everywhere.

The other requirement I had was excellent image quality.

The E-M5 offers both of those things, plus a number of things that weren't on my list, but that I've learned to appreciate - weather-proofing, tough metal body, the stinkin' sexy shape, amazing IBIS that works with all lenses.

I'm not a big video shooter, and I find the E-M5 is perfect for my video needs. Here are the two rules for good video:

1. Shoot 1280x720 for camcorder videos (videos of family, parties, stuff that you want to save memories of, but where you aren't planning to create ART)

2. Shoot HD Motion JPEG if you want to make ART

The problems with 'muddiness' during fast movement crop up when you're shooting Full HD (1920x1080) MPGs. If you switch to 1280x720 for standard videos, the muddiness disappears.

Same with the HD Motion JPEG - this is higher quality than the Full HD 1920x1080 videos, but it also gets rid of the muddiness.

And that's it - the E-M5 is the bar-none best camera I have ever owned, for my needs. I take it with me every time I leave the house, and have taken almost 13,000 photos in the just under 10 months that I've had it. Lovin' every minute of it...

tex

texinwien's gear list:texinwien's gear list
Canon EOS 300D Olympus OM-D E-M5 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 12-50mm 1:3.5-6.3 EZ Panasonic Lumix G 20mm F1.7 ASPH Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 45mm 1:1.8 +14 more
paul cool
Regular MemberPosts: 238Gear list
Like?
Re: E-M5 for the size
In reply to texinwien, Feb 20, 2013

Gh3 for battery life,wi-fi ,build quality,fully articulated lcd screen,intervalometer,function buttons ,video quality /hardware,built in flash ,handles better,electronic shutter.

paul cool's gear list:paul cool's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH4
tgutgu
Senior MemberPosts: 3,224Gear list
Like?
E-M5

Pro E-M5:

IBIS, size, view finder, modularity

Con E-M5

ergonomics

Pro GH3

ergonomics

con GH3

bulk, bad view finder

-- hide signature --

Thomas

tgutgu's gear list:tgutgu's gear list
Olympus OM-D E-M5 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH2 Olympus E-M1 Panasonic Leica DG Macro-Elmarit 45mm F2.8 ASPH OIS Panasonic 12-35mm F2.8 +17 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads