Hoya EVO vs Hoya HD vs B+W MRC?

Started Feb 19, 2013 | Questions
Tony_J
Junior MemberPosts: 36
Like?
Hoya EVO vs Hoya HD vs B+W MRC?
Feb 19, 2013

I am looking for a high-quality UV filter, mainly for protection against scratches, dust, and cleaning marks, which a lens hood would be useless against. For me, I would like the filter to have the following properties, in decreasing order of importance:

1. Minimal decrease in sharpness
  2. Minimal increase in flare
  3. Low cost
  4. Easy to clean
  5. Hard to shatter

I have heard that all three are among the best, and have coatings that are supposed to be flare- and stain-resistant. If you have any of the three, could you comment on how they rate against my criteria?

ANSWER:
This question has not been answered yet.
nkistrup
Senior MemberPosts: 1,138Gear list
Like?
Re: Hoya EVO vs Hoya HD vs B+W MRC?
In reply to Tony_J, Feb 19, 2013

If cost is a consideration, STAY AWAY from B+W.  Love my 72 mm circular polarizing filter, but hesitated for a month because of the cost.

Since you are looking polarizing filters, do you have decent tripod or monopod?  The filter will knock you down a few stops.

Niels

nkistrup's gear list:nkistrup's gear list
Canon PowerShot G12 Olympus XZ-1 Nikon D7100 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 17-55mm f/2.8G ED-IF Carl Zeiss Makro-Planar T* 2/100 +1 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Tony_J
Like?
In reply to nkistrup, Feb 20, 2013

I am actually looking for a UV filter, not a CPL. I just accidentally broke my Hoya UV(C), so 1) I'm really glad I had a filter on my lens on the first place; 2) I would like a stronger filter this time.

(For CPL, I'm using a cheapo uncoated Hoya Slim, which according to http://camera-filters.biz/pl_filters/color_tone.html has great performance for the price, especially in lack of a color cast. And yes, I do have a tripod.)

Also, speaking of cost, the B+W is actually the cheapest, available for $30. The Hoya HD goes for $35, and the Hoya EVO goes for $55. However, I've seen spectrophotometer tests on the Internet that show Hoya filters tend to outperform B+W in transmittance and reflectance, though the B+W seem to have better build quality. I've never been able to find any tests on reduction of lens sharpness, though, which I am the most concerned about. If you have those filters, could you test the effect of them on sharpness?

nkistrup
Senior MemberPosts: 1,138Gear list
Like?
In reply to Tony_J, Feb 20, 2013

$30?  No way: 72 mm filter

nkistrup's gear list:nkistrup's gear list
Canon PowerShot G12 Olympus XZ-1 Nikon D7100 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 17-55mm f/2.8G ED-IF Carl Zeiss Makro-Planar T* 2/100 +1 more
Tony_J
Like?
In reply to nkistrup, Feb 20, 2013

Sorry, I forgot to mention I have a 52mm filter thread.

Kuppenbender
Senior MemberPosts: 1,831Gear list
Like?
Why UV?
In reply to Tony_J, Feb 20, 2013

I you want a filter for protection, I would imagine a 'clear' protective filter such as B+W 007 MRC would be more suitable.

I like B+W. I'm a bit old fashioned and like to see 'Made in Germany' somewhere on my camerasĀ 

Kuppenbender's gear list:Kuppenbender's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX1 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 14-45mm F3.5-5.6 ASPH OIS Panasonic Lumix G Vario 45-200mm F4-5.6 OIS +1 more
Phillip Tornero
Contributing MemberPosts: 599Gear list
Like?
Re: Why UV?
In reply to Kuppenbender, Feb 23, 2013

Here is  another you might consider that test have shown is good bang for the buck. It is the Marumi filter brand. give them a look before you decide for certain.

Phillip Tornero's gear list:Phillip Tornero's gear list
Sigma 30mm F1.4 DC HSM Canon Pixma Pro9000 Mark II
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads