Tamron 70-200 f/2.8 VC vs. Canon 70-200 f/2.8 (no IS)

Started Feb 19, 2013 | Discussions
PK8
PK8
New MemberPosts: 4
Like?
Tamron 70-200 f/2.8 VC vs. Canon 70-200 f/2.8 (no IS)
Feb 19, 2013

Using a Canon T4i to shoot my kids' sports and other events (basketball, football, concerts and plays) and for general/everyday purposes. Photos are for personal (not professional) use, but I would like reasonably high quality. Of course, low light performance is important for my use, which is why I'd like to go to an f/2.8 (currently using Canon's new 18-135 STM and its "standard" 55-250).

Better to go with the new Tamron with VC (which I understand has much faster AF than its prior version) or the Canon without IS?

Both cost nearly the same (approx. $1,400). I do not use a tripod for basketball, but I do at least sometimes for football and concerts. Many people suggest that IS is not needed for action photography. How much would the non-IS Canon struggle in non-action settings (concerts and plays) if not a tripod? Would love Canon's newer version with IS, but not sure I can justify the $2,200-$2,500 price tag.

Posted this question in another section of the forum, but thought this section might be more appropriate.

Thanks!!!

Canon EF 70-200mm f/2.8L USM Canon EOS 650D (EOS Rebel T4i / EOS Kiss X6i) Tamron SP 70-200mm F/2.8 Di VC USD
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
William DIllard
Senior MemberPosts: 2,462Gear list
Like?
Re: Tamron 70-200 f/2.8 VC vs. Canon 70-200 f/2.8 (no IS)
In reply to PK8, Feb 20, 2013

PK8 wrote:

Using a Canon T4i to shoot my kids' sports and other events (basketball, football, concerts and plays) and for general/everyday purposes. Photos are for personal (not professional) use, but I would like reasonably high quality. Of course, low light performance is important for my use, which is why I'd like to go to an f/2.8 (currently using Canon's new 18-135 STM and its "standard" 55-250).

Better to go with the new Tamron with VC (which I understand has much faster AF than its prior version) or the Canon without IS?

Both cost nearly the same (approx. $1,400). I do not use a tripod for basketball, but I do at least sometimes for football and concerts. Many people suggest that IS is not needed for action photography. How much would the non-IS Canon struggle in non-action settings (concerts and plays) if not a tripod? Would love Canon's newer version with IS, but not sure I can justify the $2,200-$2,500 price tag.

Posted this question in another section of the forum, but thought this section might be more appropriate.

Thanks!!!

I think the Tamron is a much better lens. It has IS, it is sharp and has great bokeh (9 blades) !

William DIllard's gear list:William DIllard's gear list
Tokina AF-X Pro 16-50mm f/2.8 DX
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
OhioBob
Regular MemberPosts: 300Gear list
Like?
In reply to William DIllard, Feb 20, 2013

I would go for the Tamron with VS over the non IS Canon. When you do plays and concerts it hard to use a mono pod when your in the audience. I shoot a recital and used ISO 3200-5000 and was only getting SS of 1/50. This is not even fast enough for musician as they play they still tend to move hands and heads and most shoots did not come out because of motion blurr.

I was using the canon 70-200 IS for that. I had the older Tamron and it was sharp but to slow  to focus for sports. The new one sounds much better from what I have read.

OhioBob's gear list:OhioBob's gear list
Canon EOS 7D Canon EF 50mm f/1.8 II Canon EF 85mm f/1.8 USM Canon EF-S 17-55mm f/2.8 IS USM Canon EF 100-400mm f/4.5-5.6L IS USM +6 more
Telhma
Regular MemberPosts: 377
Like?
In reply to OhioBob, Feb 20, 2013

I asked a little bit the same question little time before, they told me to get no tamron, because it was a piece of noise. but i can not tell if that is true.

PK8
PK8
New MemberPosts: 4
Like?
In reply to PK8, Feb 22, 2013

Thanks for the advice! I'm strongly leaning toward the Tamron.

Like I said, I'd love to buy the Canon 70-200 II with IS. In a bubble, the price difference between the Tamron and the Canon with IS doesn't seem that huge. But, when looking at the numbers from a $0 starting point, $1,400-1,500 is a lot more palatable than $2,200+ (at least as a budding hobbyist, rather than a pro). That said, based on reviews, it sounds like the Tamron's IQ, build quality and performance are not far behind the Canon II IS.

Thanks again for the advice. Others, please feel free to chime in!

ViV
ViV
New MemberPosts: 7Gear list
Like?
In reply to PK8, Feb 26, 2013

I agree with previous posting.  Have a look at the DxO Mark ranking (www.dxomark.com).  I suggest that you take following menu: Lenses > Camera Lens Ratings.  Then, on the right hand side, choose your camera model (eg Canon EOS 7D) and filter by type (zoom).  You'll then see that the Tamron 70-200 f/2.8 SP VC USD come in 3rd position just before the Canon 70-200 f/2.8 L IS USM II.

I know that they are plenty of discussions on the web about lens quality: should we take as reference the charts and defined targets in lab shots (qualitative but unreal), or actual pictures (real but subjective)???

With the former, at least for those of you who are mostly advanced amateurs, you can get some lab comparison in exactly the same conditions for given lenses.  I personally prefer using such website and then look what fits my coin purse...

Now, for those of you who don't care about spending more bucks, or like walking around with a white one, go for the Canon!

ViV's gear list:ViV's gear list
Canon EOS 400D Canon EOS 60D Tamron SP 70-300mm F/4-5.6 Di VC USD Sigma 17-70mm F2.8-4 DC Macro OS HSM
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads