Xrite ColorChecker Passport & Merrill images

Started Feb 18, 2013 | Discussions
PicOne
Veteran MemberPosts: 6,753
Like?
Xrite ColorChecker Passport & Merrill images
Feb 18, 2013

I didn't have any luck trying to use my ColorChecker passport to set color for DP2M files.  THought I'd trying with X3F->TIF->DNG, but couldn't get this to work.

Does anyone know of a tool like XRite software product that can be made to work with Jpegs or Tifs?  If not, is there a reason nobody has invented one yet?

-- hide signature --

'Everything in photography boils down to what's sharp and what's fuzzy.'
-Gaylord Herron

Sigma DP2
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
guzzibreva1
Contributing MemberPosts: 917
Like?
Re: Xrite ColorChecker Passport & Merrill images
In reply to PicOne, Feb 18, 2013

The only way I found to make the Passport work with my SD14 was to convert the X3F to DNG directly using ACR.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
DMillier
Forum ProPosts: 17,802
Like?
In reply to guzzibreva1, Feb 18, 2013

My SD9, SD14, DP1 all work with DNG profiles in LR just fine. The original image used to generate the profile has to be converted to DNG but once done, the profile can be applied to the X3f files direct.

-- hide signature --
PicOne
Like?
In reply to DMillier, Feb 18, 2013

DMillier wrote:

My SD9, SD14, DP1 all work with DNG profiles in LR just fine. The original image used to generate the profile has to be converted to DNG but once done, the profile can be applied to the X3f files direct.

Yes but I assume you converted the raw x3f to Dng not a tif.  Of course since PS doesn't support the Merrill raw files I had to export to tiff, then "convert" the tiff to dng.

-- hide signature --

martin

-CG-
-Gaylord Herron

DMillier
Forum ProPosts: 17,802
Like?
In reply to PicOne, Feb 18, 2013

I haven't used a Merrill. LR supports my older Sigmas. The procedure was simply to make a DNG of the colour checker image (I did several under different lighting) then generate the recipe file.

After that, I convert regular x3f files in LR and apply whatever profile looks best.

-- hide signature --
vfan
Forum MemberPosts: 53
Like?
In reply to PicOne, Feb 19, 2013

For Merrill of cameras, Maybe you can try the ACR Calibrator.

It is a script for Adobe Photoshop. Take Tiff of Colorchecker chart into ACR, and it will give you the best setting. But it's not good than Camera profiles editor.

D Cox
Senior MemberPosts: 8,028
Like?

PicOne wrote:

I didn't have any luck trying to use my ColorChecker passport to set color for DP2M files. THought I'd trying with X3F->TIF->DNG, but couldn't get this to work.

That would not work because the TIFF is not a raw format. You would have to go directly from X3F to DNG.

Does anyone know of a tool like XRite software product that can be made to work with Jpegs or Tifs? If not, is there a reason nobody has invented one yet?

In principle, one should be able to make a set of custom curves for use in Photoshop, based on the Color-Checker image.

The ACR calibrator script seems the nearest to this.

PicOne
Like?
In reply to D Cox, Feb 19, 2013

D Cox wrote:

PicOne wrote:

I didn't have any luck trying to use my ColorChecker passport to set color for DP2M files. THought I'd trying with X3F->TIF->DNG, but couldn't get this to work.

That would not work because the TIFF is not a raw format. You would have to go directly from X3F to DNG.

Yes, but I thought that by making the DNG from a TIF, maybe I could "fool" the software.

Does anyone know of a tool like XRite software product that can be made to work with Jpegs or Tifs? If not, is there a reason nobody has invented one yet?

In principle, one should be able to make a set of custom curves for use in Photoshop, based on the Color-Checker image.

I can tend to laziness; so nobody has created a software that does this automatically for non-Raw files?

The ACR calibrator script seems the nearest to this.

Maybe I'll try this. Is this built into PS or a download from elsewhere?   But if this is called "ACR", it sounds like it's meant for Raw files, if PS doesn't recognize my X3Fs, will this still work; and/or work with Tifs?

-- hide signature --

-Gaylord Herron

vfan
Forum MemberPosts: 53
Like?

You can find the AcrCalibrator in the link or others.

http://www.fors.net/chromoholics/

First, Check the box in ACR setting "Always open TIFF files with settings using Camera Raw"

Used SPP to output TIFF that has a ColorChecker Chart.

Load Tiff by Photoshop, then it will open in ACR. Open this into the Photoshop and run AcrCalibrator.

At last you get one picture that has some parameter in ACR.

exdeejjjaaaa
Veteran MemberPosts: 6,809Gear list
Like?
In reply to PicOne, Feb 20, 2013

if all you want is to get colors from SPP output to .tiff right (according to some proper rendering of a target, might be a synthetic image of the target) in Photoshop - study this script and modify it accordingly (for your target).
http://sail2ithaki.livejournal.com/142328.html

exdeejjjaaaa's gear list:exdeejjjaaaa's gear list
Olympus E-M1 Sony Alpha 7 Panasonic Lumix G 20mm F1.7 ASPH Panasonic Leica DG Macro-Elmarit 45mm F2.8 ASPH OIS Panasonic Lumix G 14mm F2.5 ASPH +23 more
johnyj
Junior MemberPosts: 31
Like?
In reply to PicOne, Mar 8, 2013

For DP2M, you might consider using X3change, if you could provide me with a colorchecker shot X3F file under sunlight, I will calculate the matrix for you

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads