SX50 HS Panoramic

Started Feb 18, 2013 | Discussions
saycheese
Regular MemberPosts: 349Gear list
Like?
SX50 HS Panoramic
Feb 18, 2013

Took my SX50 for a walk with my trusty manfrotto tripod and 135 images and 55 minutes later I had enough images to hopefully create the panoramic I attempted and was unhappy with at the same location a week previously. There are a couple of small errors, one image from 135 is focused on the wrong spot aaargh! Let's see who finds it first.

EXIF   (for those who like to see)    
   Model                   Canon PowerShot SX50 HS
   Date/time               17/02/2013 15:32:43
   Exposure time           1/200 s
   F-number                f/5.6
   ISO speed ratings       ISO 80
   Exposure bias value     0.00 eV
   Metering mode           Center weighted average
   Focal length            33.805 mm
   Custom Rendered         Normal process
   Exposure mode           Manual exposure
   White balance           Manual white balance

Anyways, I am really pleased with the finished image and have uploaded to one of my sites, please follow the link below if panoramic images interest you.

Frodsham Panoramic 17 Feb 2013

-- hide signature --

Julian
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Canon SX50, Olympus C5050z, Batteries, Lens Cloth, Neckstrap, polo mints, bus money.

saycheese's gear list:saycheese's gear list
Olympus Stylus 790 SW Olympus C-5050 Zoom Canon PowerShot SX50 HS
Augustin Man
Senior MemberPosts: 2,941Gear list
Like?
Re: SX50 HS Panoramic
In reply to saycheese, Feb 18, 2013

That is very, very impressive, thank you for sharing!

I tried to find out the unfocused patch and also found one at some one and a half marker size distance from the bottom and some three and a half markers size from the left margin: there are some branches in the foreground that suddenly lose focus; in the background there is a white car parked near a house entrance at the left of the building... I don't know how to point it better

Happy shooting,

Augustin

Augustin Man's gear list:Augustin Man's gear list
Olympus SP-810 UZ Nikon Coolpix P510 Canon PowerShot SX50 HS
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Digital Shutterbug
Senior MemberPosts: 1,638Gear list
Like?

GREAT shot(s). Even the moving traffic looks really good. What software did you use to do the stitching? Did you start with JPG images? Obviously a pretty high powered computer to handle this large file. Thanks for sharing this terrific image.

Steve

MarioV
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,348Gear list
Like?

Incredible!  This puts Gigapan to shame.

Spectacular work.  I think you should be paid to travel the world and do this everywhere.

MarioV's gear list:MarioV's gear list
Canon PowerShot SX50 HS Nikon D5200 Sigma 17-50mm F2.8 EX DC OS HSM Sigma 18-250mm F3.5-6.3 DC Macro OS HSM Tamron SP 90mm F2.8 Di VC USD 1:1 Macro
saycheese
Like?
In reply to Digital Shutterbug, Feb 18, 2013

Digital Shutterbug wrote:

GREAT shot(s). Even the moving traffic looks really good. What software did you use to do the stitching? Did you start with JPG images? Obviously a pretty high powered computer to handle this large file. Thanks for sharing this terrific image.

Steve

I used CS6 and exported the file as zoomify. It is approx 50% of the original size at time of export, the original is 69128x7866 it was approx 26-28 frames across and 5 rows. I used manual exposure as I have been rather disappointed with canon's in-camera stitch function, not least because you get such little control of the final image. I locked the tripod vertically (It took a long time to get the tripod level before starting (this is most important!)). I took the images in live view by just fixing onto something in the right hand side of the image and panning the camera. Hence 26 to 28 images, some rows had more going on so I was able to have smaller laps.

I moved the focus flexizone, especially around the bushes, but the one on the basketball court beat me, I thought I had been careful to focus through the branches each time. I couldn't lock the focus as the distance changed with each shot. I used a remote trigger to cut down on vibration as much as possible, there was a bit of breeze up there so this proved difficult at times.

>>One hint I took from pros which really worked well: At the beginning of row 1 I put 1 finger up in front of the lens and shot a frame of my finger, and another single digit at the end of the pan. At row 2 I used 2 fingers, then 3 fingers and so on. This was amazingly useful back home when I needed to sort the images. <<

I stitched the images row by row rather than just throwing 135 images at photoshop and going to bed. Subsequently, I have discovered there must be a cut off with image size and photoshop, as it would only allow me to save the full sized stitched images in PSB (large document format) or tif, but a tif that is not compatible with any other software I have other than windows photo viewer. A full sized jpg would have been nice, alas.

http://fitforthebride.co.uk/Frodsham.html

-- hide signature --

Julian
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Canon SX50, Olympus C5050z, Batteries, Lens Cloth, Neckstrap, polo mints, bus money.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v708/Shipswoofy/x%20forum%20icons%20x/Tipper_on_Top_Cat.jpg

VisionLight
Senior MemberPosts: 2,285Gear list
Like?

Great tutorial, Julian. That image took a lot of effort and your workflow comments are very much appreciated.

Vision

VisionLight's gear list:VisionLight's gear list
Canon PowerShot S100 Canon PowerShot SX40 HS Canon PowerShot SX50 HS Canon EOS 5D Canon EF 100-400mm f/4.5-5.6L IS USM +4 more
saycheese
Like?
In reply to Digital Shutterbug, Feb 18, 2013

Steve

I considered RAW, but to be honest, the extra time extracting each RAW image would have been excruciating and I was quite happy with Canon's superfine Large JPEG images. The fully stitched image is a whopping 1.4GB I can't afford the disk space to also keep the RAW negatives.

I have some RAWs from the previous week and to be honest I struggled to make them better than Canon's JPEGs.

-- hide signature --

Julian

Digital Shutterbug
Senior MemberPosts: 1,638Gear list
Like?

saycheese wrote:

Steve

I used CS6 and exported the file as zoomify. It is approx 50% of the original size at time of export, the original is 69128x7866 it was approx 26-28 frames across and 5 rows. I used manual exposure as I have been rather disappointed with canon's in-camera stitch function, not least because you get such little control of the final image. I locked the tripod vertically (It took a long time to get the tripod level before starting (this is most important!)). I took the images in live view by just fixing onto something in the right hand side of the image and panning the camera. Hence 26 to 28 images, some rows had more going on so I was able to have smaller laps.

I moved the focus flexizone, especially around the bushes, but the one on the basketball court beat me, I thought I had been careful to focus through the branches each time. I couldn't lock the focus as the distance changed with each shot. I used a remote trigger to cut down on vibration as much as possible, there was a bit of breeze up there so this proved difficult at times.

>>One hint I took from pros which really worked well: At the beginning of row 1 I put 1 finger up in front of the lens and shot a frame of my finger, and another single digit at the end of the pan. At row 2 I used 2 fingers, then 3 fingers and so on. This was amazingly useful back home when I needed to sort the images. <<

I stitched the images row by row rather than just throwing 135 images at photoshop and going to bed. Subsequently, I have discovered there must be a cut off with image size and photoshop, as it would only allow me to save the full sized stitched images in PSB (large document format) or tif, but a tif that is not compatible with any other software I have other than windows photo viewer. A full sized jpg would have been nice, alas.

http://fitforthebride.co.uk/Frodsham.html

Julian
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v708/Shipswoofy/x%20forum%20icons%20x/Tipper_on_Top_Cat.jpg

Julian,

Thank you so much for the detailed description of your process. I have never attempted more than one row panoramas. I don't know if I have the patience to do the processing. I am really impressed with your work. I'm not surprised that you used JPG's. Raw files would have been so huge. Thanks again for the extra details.

Steve

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads