V1 18.5mm Michigan Winter

Started Feb 18, 2013 | Discussions
MrPete
Regular MemberPosts: 136
Like?
V1 18.5mm Michigan Winter
Feb 18, 2013

Just started using this lens - here are two from today.  Shot raw and pp in PS6.  Sharpened a little. Tweaked exposure/contrast/highlights/shadows to my liking.  PS6 (actually current ACR) doesn't appear to have the 18.5mm lens parameters yet - but I did manually remove some purple fringe that appeared in the high contrast areas (primarily seen on dark tree branch edges).

Correct me if I"m wrong, but I don't believe the V1 corrects ANY lens issues when shooting raw.

I really like using the V1.  For my laid back shooting style, it focuses quickly and almost always hits the exposure in the ball park.  Feels good in my hands.  Thing I dislike the most is the forced image review after the shot!

For me, photography is fun.  Doesn't matter to me if the V1 doesn't have the best sensor, lenses, or whatever - I enjoy using it.  Going off to have some more fun!

Pete

Mona Lake in West Michigan

Michigan Winter Sky

Nikon 1 V1
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
iamthenewguy
Contributing MemberPosts: 771Gear list
Like?
Re: V1 18.5mm Michigan Winter
In reply to MrPete, Feb 18, 2013

You are correct, the V1 doesn't do any lens corrections in RAW. For that matter though, even if you shoot JPEG it doesn't correct for distortion. The V2, from what I've heard, does correct for distortion on JPEG's and the image review can be turned off. For me the lens correction thing isn't an issue and I just batch process auto-correct in CNX2 and I've learned to live with the auto image review.

Oh, and nice pictures!

iamthenewguy's gear list:iamthenewguy's gear list
Nikon 1 V2 Nikon 1 Nikkor VR 30-110mm f/3.8-5.6 Nikon 1 Nikkor 10mm f/2.8 Nikon 1 Nikkor 18.5mm f/1.8 Nikon 1 Nikkor VR 6.7-13mm f/3.5-5.6 +1 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
BandofBrothers
Forum MemberPosts: 85Gear list
Like?
In reply to iamthenewguy, Feb 18, 2013

Love the sharpness of the branches and the pics in general

Is lens correction something that I should be doing too in my software whilst post-processing? At the moment I just import my raw files into iPhoto on the mac....and don't really use any other software. Many thanks

BandofBrothers's gear list:BandofBrothers's gear list
Nikon 1 V1
MrPete
Regular MemberPosts: 136
Like?
In reply to BandofBrothers, Feb 19, 2013

Should you be doing lens correction in post processing? Difficult question to answer because of so many variables - some of them personal as opposed to equipment.

Lenses typically have distortion - wide angle lenses have "barrel distortion" while telephoto lenses have "pincushion" distortion. Vignetting often happens at large apertures like 1.4 or 1.8 - where the four corners darken. There are also chromatic aberrations where there can be color shadows (often purple fringes) seen in areas of high contrast like black lines against white areas. I had some purple fringing on the dark branches against the light sky. Other colors such as blue or red can also appear at times on some lenses in high contrast areas.

Most modern cameras can automatically reduce these distortions in the jpeg processing. More sophisticated cameras have menu options to turn these distortion corrections on or off. My Pentax K5 IIs can reduce these distortions automatically when shooting raw if I choose to turn this feature on. Typically though, automatic lens distortion correction when shooting raw has been rare. Panasonic started to use automatic lens distortion correction when shooting raw with their micro 4/3 cameras. This was controversial with some photographers who believe that raw files should be just that - RAW - with no software manipulation. But I digress

Adobe Camera Raw (ACR) - Adobe's raw converter software - also has many popular 'preset' lens profiles built in so automatic lens distortion correction can be done automatically if desired. When new lenses like the Nikon 18.5mm come out, Adobe (and Apple with Aperture) will update the program to include new lens profiles to handle distortion correction. I do not believe Adobe has updated for the Nikon 18.5mm yet.

I don't think iPhoto has built in lens distortion correction for raw files - for specific popular lenses. (but I may be wrong about that).

Personally, until I started to research lens performance and quality for future purchases - I didn't even know what lens distortions were!  In many ways, those were happy carefree days because if I didn't notice it - I wasn't bothered by it! But for me, post processing raw files has become a wonderful, intellectually stimulating, creative and challenging hobby that gives me hours of enjoyment - and hopefully some pride in turning average raw photo files into better or more creative art (at least in my eyes). I'll never have the talent to paint or draw - but I can express my personal creativity through processing pictures that I take. Digital photo processing has opened up a wonderful and creative world to many people - and you can spend a lifetime going deeper into it because these wonderful programs like ACR, Photoshop, and others - are in many ways limitless in in how they can manipulate a photo file.

So after all that - to answer your question directly, you shouldn't be correcting lens distortions in your post processing UNLESS YOU WANT TO!  In the end, it may be meaningless to you. Who knows - your creative mind may prefer the look of purple fringing on tree branches!

Pete

BandofBrothers wrote:

Love the sharpness of the branches and the pics in general

Is lens correction something that I should be doing too in my software whilst post-processing? At the moment I just import my raw files into iPhoto on the mac....and don't really use any other software. Many thanks

BandofBrothers
Forum MemberPosts: 85Gear list
Like?
In reply to MrPete, Feb 19, 2013

Thank you so much for the very informative reply to my question. Very helpful!!

BandofBrothers's gear list:BandofBrothers's gear list
Nikon 1 V1
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads