E-5 vs K-5 ii Locked

Started Feb 17, 2013 | Discussions
This thread is locked.
DaveP E1
Regular MemberPosts: 118
E-5 vs K-5 ii
Feb 17, 2013

Give me a compelling reason to stick with Oly.  I have a once in a lifetime vacation coming up - Machu Picchu & Galapogos and will retire my trusty E-1 for something with IS and more reach.  The E-5 will require all new lenses, 12-60 & 50-200 ~$3300. The Pentax K-5 ii on the other hand has a nice walk-around 18-135mm (x1.5) f3.8 kit lens lens with supposed better IQ, dynamic range,  very high ISO  ~$1500.  With Oly possibly abandoning the semi-pro SLR market it seems like a no-brainer. Ruggedness/ weatherproofing/dependability is high on my list of attributes.  Can the K-5 ii comapre with the build quaility of the E-1.  For that matter, can even the E-5 compare?   
--
Dave P E1 14-54 FL50

Olympus E-1 Olympus E-5 Pentax K-5 II
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
chazguernsey
Junior MemberPosts: 31
Re: E-5 vs K-5 ii
In reply to DaveP E1, Feb 17, 2013

I have the E5 with 12-60 and Mk 1 50-200 as well as a couple of SHG lenses (150F2 and 90-250 F2.8), so I guess I am already in too deep LOL, but it sounds as though the Pentax would do the job your looking for it to do at half the price, so would be hard to justify paying the extra for the Olympus setup, unless you were thinking of leaving the brand anyway?

I have considered going FF but my investment in lenses holds me back, hoping that Oly will give us the body to justify staying with them.

Good luck with whatever you decide, I am sure either will do the job for you, and enjoy the mountains

-- hide signature --

Chaz

DaveP E1
In reply to chazguernsey, Feb 17, 2013

Thanks Chaz - one thought was to get the E-5 & 50-200 with E-1 14-54 as backup.  But I like to travel light -
--
Dave P E1 14-54 FL50

Rriley
Forum ProPosts: 21,846Gear list

DaveP E1 wrote:

Give me a compelling reason to stick with Oly. I have a once in a lifetime vacation coming up - Machu Picchu & Galapogos and will retire my trusty E-1 for something with IS and more reach. The E-5 will require all new lenses, 12-60 & 50-200 ~$3300. The Pentax K-5 ii on the other hand has a nice walk-around 18-135mm (x1.5) f3.8 kit lens lens with supposed better IQ, dynamic range, very high ISO ~$1500. With Oly possibly abandoning the semi-pro SLR market it seems like a no-brainer. Ruggedness/ weatherproofing/dependability is high on my list of attributes. Can the K-5 ii comapre with the build quaility of the E-1. For that matter, can even the E-5 compare?

I guess a lighter burden would make it all more pleasurable, I think myself I might have looked at OMD or some other breed of mirrorless. But in the case of OMD it would require more dedicated lenses to indulge in much 'advanced action' photography. Kinda makes it a similar investment/cost.

so maybe not the answer you were looking for, but for me OMD and a couple or three primes.

-- hide signature --

Dave P E1 14-54 FL50

-- hide signature --

Riley
any similarity to persons living or dead is coincidental and unintended
support 1022 Sunday Scapes'

Rriley's gear list:Rriley's gear list
Sigma DP2 Merrill Canon EOS 5D Olympus E-3 Olympus E-5 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH2 +1 more
alatchin
Contributing MemberPosts: 769Gear list

DaveP E1 wrote:

Give me a compelling reason to stick with Oly. I have a once in a lifetime vacation coming up - Machu Picchu & Galapogos and will retire my trusty E-1 for something with IS and more reach. The E-5 will require all new lenses, 12-60 & 50-200 ~$3300. The Pentax K-5 ii on the other hand has a nice walk-around 18-135mm (x1.5) f3.8 kit lens lens with supposed better IQ, dynamic range, very high ISO ~$1500. With Oly possibly abandoning the semi-pro SLR market it seems like a no-brainer. Ruggedness/ weatherproofing/dependability is high on my list of attributes. Can the K-5 ii comapre with the build quaility of the E-1. For that matter, can even the E-5 compare?
--
Dave P E1 14-54 FL50

To be honest, OMD all the way A simple 3 prime kit with the 17, 25 and 45 goes a long way, combined with the 40-150 which is going for $99 at the moment you would have a very versatile kit, with sharp fast primes at the wide end and a solid, small zoom for the long end.

Or, pick up a 12-60 and 50-200 used, they are going for nothing at the moment, you could probably get them both for about $1200... plus a used E-5 for around $1200... The E-5 will be a very nice jump on your current camera.

But I would go the OMD, especially for travel, it will be a revelation. Without the grip it is small, flexible and powerful... The lenses are great and if needed you can pop your existing lenses on it for a bit more flexibility, say for landscapes etc.

Here are a few with the OMD:

-- hide signature --

“You don’t take a photograph, you make it.” -Ansel Adams
blog.alatchinphotography(dot)com

alatchin's gear list:alatchin's gear list
Olympus E-3 Olympus PEN E-P2 Olympus PEN E-PL2 Olympus OM-D E-M5 Olympus PEN E-PL5 +20 more
Jolly Oly
Contributing MemberPosts: 978Gear list

DaveP E1 wrote:

--
Dave P E1 14-54 FL50

If your E-1 successor has to have a mirror, then I can't see a better APS-C body than the Pentax K-5(II). Just don't forget there is nothing like 12-60 and 50-200 Zuikos in Pentax world.

-- hide signature --
 Jolly Oly's gear list:Jolly Oly's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-GF2 Olympus OM-D E-M5 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 14-45mm F3.5-5.6 ASPH OIS Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 45mm 1:1.8 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 12mm 1:2 +5 more
erichK
Veteran MemberPosts: 4,040Gear list
Re: E-5 vs K-5 vs OM-D
In reply to alatchin, Feb 17, 2013

The Pentax K-5 certainly seemed to handle well when I tried it, and is reportedly a very capable. I stayed with Olympus because I liked the out-of-camera colours better, because I already had a decent set of lenses, and also the addictive convenience of the E-3's pivoting LCD. But I really appreciated the smaller size and weight of the Pentax.

You probably should try the OM-D. It has its quirks like too-small buttons, but is is so immensely capable, especially with its superb IS and also its - seldom particularly mentioned- its ability to show you the effects of exposure adjustments, as you make them.  This is really wonderful for such tricky shots as sunsets or for available light and night photography.

I actually like to use my OM-D it alongside my E-5, or in better light, my E-1. In my experience most FT lenses actually work really well with the adapter, especially the older, non-SWD ones and the ones that have firmware fixes like the 70-300 and the panaleica 25 f1.4  The 12f2, 45 f1.8 and 75 f 1.8 are really wonderful (the kit 12-50 is just okay, optically, but does do video well and have a very usable macro range).

It might be a good idea to really check out the very-capable-sounding Pentax wide range zoom against some of these alternatives.

(I guess I'm leaning strongly to Olympus again, but then you ask for such input)

-- hide signature --

erichK
saskatoon, canada
Photography is a small voice, at best, but sometimes one photograph, or a group of them, can lure our sense of awareness.
- W. Eugene Smith, Dec 30, 1918 to Oct 15, 1978.
http://erichk.zenfolio.com/
http://www.fototime.com/inv/7F3D846BCD301F3
underwater photos:
http://www.scubaboard.com/gallery/showgallery.php/cat/500/ppuser/5567

erichK's gear list:erichK's gear list
Olympus E-1 Olympus E-330 Olympus E-420 Olympus E-30 Olympus E-620 +22 more
DaveP E1
Re: E-5 vs K-5 vs OM-D
In reply to erichK, Feb 17, 2013

This is really in response to everyone, your points are well taken and I had not really considered the OMD as I'm skeptical about a new fangled non-optical viewfinder.  I think I should get my butt down to the camera store and check out these viewfinders - because thats what an SLR is all about - right?

and yes - these is nothing like the OLY zoom lens lineup.

-- hide signature --

Dave P E1 14-54 FL50

SirSeth
Veteran MemberPosts: 9,032Gear list
In reply to DaveP E1, Feb 18, 2013

When I went to the Galapagos I had my E-1, 11-22mm, and 50-200mm. It was nearly the prefect combination. You need a good wide angle and good telephoto. The 18-135mm Pentax is a great all round lens, but I don't think it's wide or long enough for the best of the Galapagos.

Here is one of my favorites with the 50-200mm:

Courting Friggit birds

If I were in your boots right now I would get one of the following:

Olympus OM-D and 12-50mm kit. Add the Panasonic 100-300mm. That would be about $1800. Maybe add the 9-18mm for another $600. That would be only after trying it out at a camera store to see if it feels like a fit for me. I personally find the EVF to have some advantages at times. Other times I prefer the OVF. The size of the kit would ease traveling weight imo.

Pentax K30 then I'd max out my budget on lenses. Maybe Pentax 18-135mm, Sigma 70-200mm f2.8, and Sigma 10-20mm. That would be about $2600 I guess. You lose weather sealing on the Sigmas. If you have the cash, the Pentax 12-24mm, 18-135mm, and 60-250mm, but that would run about $4000. Moving up to the K5ii would be great, but imo the K30 is one of the best values going and very capable if you don't need a vertical grip. Still has weather seals, 100% viewfinder, fast AF, high ISO and great DR.

E-5 + 11-22mm + 50-200mm SWD. I'd buy used for about $2500. That lens combo is hard to beat imo. The E-5 will spank the E-1 in so many ways and having an E-1 backup body when traveling would be great. Personally, I'd get the OM-D over this kit even though the lenses are better. I'm ready to expand my camera bag into mirrorless territory because I believe it's the future. I love my Zuiko lenses, but the E-5 will have hit very low used prices (like $600) for me to upgrade from my E-3 because DSLRs are not progressing and mirrorless is taking the field by storm. IMO, the best compromise is a new mirrorless camera and a good used DSLR because the new ones just aren't that much better than the old ones except for slight improvements to the sensor.

Then I'd buy a Olympus TG-1 or TG-2 if it's out. This would be my backup and snorkeling camera. Btw, the snorkeling in Galapagos is fantastic. Get a waterproof camera or video camera to take along. A good snorkel, mask, and flippers are mandatory imo.

Finally, you're lucky to be traveling to the "life list" destinations. Drink it in and have a great time.

Best,

Seth

-- hide signature --

What if the hokey pokey really is what it's all about?
--
wallygoots.smugmug.com
wallygoots.blogspot.com

SirSeth's gear list:SirSeth's gear list
Olympus E-1 Olympus E-3 Olympus PEN E-PL2 Olympus Zuiko Digital ED 50-200mm 1:2.8-3.5 SWD Olympus Zuiko Digital 11-22mm 1:2.8-3.5 +4 more
faith_ps
Senior MemberPosts: 1,102Gear list
Why not get OMD EM-5

DaveP E1 wrote:

--
Dave P E1 14-54 FL50

I would say that you get the Olympus OMD EM-5 kit + the mZD45mm f1.8. You can walk further distance and take more photos. Don't forget an extra battery.

Cheers,
Jakop

-- hide signature --

The saxophone is a very interesting machine, but I'm more interested in music.
Steve Lacy quotes

faith_ps's gear list:faith_ps's gear list
Ricoh GR Digital Sigma DP3 Merrill Leica X Vario Olympus Stylus 1 Canon EOS 5D Mark II +17 more
bofo777
Contributing MemberPosts: 625Gear list
It would be a no brainer

If I was going to take such an exciting trip it would be a no brainer---You would definitely want a lens that could do macro for all the exotic plant life and a telephoto for wildlife. Olympus 50mm macro which is very light in weight but is one of the great lenses made for macro, landscape and low light photography-- then I would buy Olympus 50-100 SWD for your wonderful telephoto pics. I would not hesitate to mate these two great lenses with the E-5 which in my estimation is one of the most under appreciated cameras around....But reading between the lines in your post it seems you already have made up your mind but you won't get any reaffirmation from me at least.....John

bofo777's gear list:bofo777's gear list
Olympus E-1 Olympus E-5 Olympus E-M1 Olympus Zuiko Digital ED 50mm 1:2.0 Macro Olympus Zuiko Digital ED 12-60mm 1:2.8-4.0 SWD +6 more
DaveP E1
In reply to SirSeth, Feb 18, 2013

Great advice but again, I need to try the OMD viewfider out, I wear glasses and that could also be an issue.  Yeah, the 11-22 -  this would be a good trip for that lens.  I was also looking for an underwater, and it would serve as backup of sorts. BTW - was recharging batteries an issue at the Galapagos?  
--
Dave P E1 14-54 FL50

DaveP E1
Re: It would be a no brainer
In reply to bofo777, Feb 18, 2013

Not at all, I was hoping people would play devils advocate.   
--
Dave P E1 14-54 FL50

daddyo
Veteran MemberPosts: 9,499Gear list
Dave...

Here is my suggestion.

A reconditioned OMD E-M5 with black 14-42mm kit lens directly from Olympus for $879.99. Add an m40-150mm for $199 and the HLD-6 Battery Grip set for $299 (it's worth it), and an Olympus WCON P-01 wide converter for $70 -- Total cost: $1,450.

With a small camera bag and lightweight tripod you won't know you are carrying anything.

The WCON on the 14-42mm gives you an 11mm field of view, and the 40-150mm can be used with the E-M5 Digital Teleconverter Function to give you a 300mm equivalent field of view.

Below are two sample images I've done. The first was using the WCON P-01 on my 14-42mm @ 14mm (11mm FOV), and the second image was done using the 40-150mm @ 150mm.

God Bless,

Greg

www.imagismphotos.com

www.mccroskery.zenfolio.com

www.pbase.com/daddyo

daddyo's gear list:daddyo's gear list
Olympus 12-40mm F2.8
daddyo
Veteran MemberPosts: 9,499Gear list
P.S. Dave...
In reply to daddyo, Feb 18, 2013

If you have the Budget, you might consider adding the Panasonic 12-35mm f/2.8 -- it is not cheap, but it performs great on the E-M5. Optically, it performs about as well as the Oly 12-60mm.

God Bless,

Greg

www.imagismphotos.com

www.mccroskery.zenfolio.com

www.pbase.com/daddyo

daddyo's gear list:daddyo's gear list
Olympus 12-40mm F2.8
Darrell500
Senior MemberPosts: 2,019Gear list
Re: Dave...

I was going to second the E5, 11-22 and 50-200 but disagree on the $2500 price as I think you could do this for about $2000, E5 $1000 used and both lenses have been going around $500 if you shop around especially the MK I version of the 50-200.

Considering what others have suggested I think I like Gregs suggestions best, I might add the macro adapter (olympus one) for the 14-42 to the mix.

Have a great time on your trip can't wait to see your photos.

-- hide signature --

"Don't Be Afraid To See What You See"
Darrell

Darrell500's gear list:Darrell500's gear list
Olympus E-500 Olympus E-520 Olympus E-5 Olympus PEN E-P3 Olympus Zuiko Digital ED 50mm 1:2.0 Macro +25 more
erichK
Veteran MemberPosts: 4,040Gear list
How are you travelling, and when?

And how old and fit are you ;-)?  The reason I ask is because the Galapagos really are right on the equator, and hot and dry, with a blazingly burning sun.   (Make sure you always protect all parts of your body from the sun, not just with sun-screen, but with clothing, whenever possible!)

Spurred by your Emai, and SirSeth's, I'm just now finally uploading the photos to my Zenfolio site.  From 8 years ago. My wife (Prof) Kathleen, daughter Ariel and I went in December 2005 and we went land-based.  That is, we flew to Quito, spent a couple of days there, and then flew to Santa Cruz, where we spent eight days in a modest but decent hotel in Porto Ayoro and alternately went on cruises to neighbouring islands and scuba diving (challenging!) for six of them, with Scuba Iguana, a very good and very ecologically responsible dive and tour operation.

Even the walk to and through Darwin Station can be exhausting, and the couple of klicks along the stone walk to Tortuga Beach are quite a hike.  A walk through the turtle farm is also pretty hot, and the long uphill walk at places like Bartolome is even more so.

You will want to carry as portable and ready-to-hand a camera kit as possible, both to save your own energy, and also to be able to keep up with any group (since the Galapagos is mostly one big nature park, most sites require a licensed guide).  I often found a second body - even when it was Ariel's little Canon S-70 to be a big help for times when I just did not want to lug - or scare people - with something bigger, and whenever I had the wrong lens on the E-1 for something that happened quickly.

SirSeth is right in pointing out that even though most of the animals are very approachable, 135/APS will not give you the reach that you need.  The 50-200 also proved ideal for me, by allowing decent

shots of these guys.  Even though they simply stayed where they were - 1 1/2 to 2 meters away,

moving any closer would really have been an imposition on their space.

Someone liked this one so much that they stole a 13x19 print of it from a recent photo show!

Blue-footed Boobys have to be seen to be believed!

A much more common bird, found there, too,

And forever flying overhead and squawking and bickering!

One big problem that I had with the E-1 was the limited dynamic range in an environment of blazing sun and harsh, dark shadows.  The Pentax K5 is apparently quite good here, but the OM-D's "see what you are getting" VF - and, evenmore,  its shadow/highlight functions - would have been a huge help in getting more and better pictures.

erichK
saskatoon, canada
Photography is a small voice, at best, but sometimes one photograph, or a group of them, can lure our sense of awareness.
- W. Eugene Smith, Dec 30, 1918 to Oct 15, 1978.
http://erichk.zenfolio.com/
http://www.fototime.com/inv/7F3D846BCD301F3
underwater photos:
http://www.scubaboard.com/gallery/showgallery.php/cat/500/ppuser/5567

erichK's gear list:erichK's gear list
Olympus E-1 Olympus E-330 Olympus E-420 Olympus E-30 Olympus E-620 +22 more
DaveP E1
Re: Dave...

All I can say is wow! Definitely will give the OMD a serious look.  Planning my trip to B&H Photo right now.

-- hide signature --

Dave P E1 14-54 FL50

DaveP E1
Re: How are you travelling, and when?
In reply to erichK, Feb 18, 2013

Trip is scheduled May 9 -  turned 65 yesterday - but I ski , swim, etc., but definitely could shed a few pounds.  My wife and I have just started an exercise regimen.  In addition to equatorial Galapagos some of the treks on the Machu Picchu leg can top 14,000'.

Nice work with the E-1 - nothing like a close up of a blue footed booby.

Just checked out the Olympus OMD site -  nice array of lenses - much more I think than when it first came out.

-- hide signature --

Dave P E1 14-54 FL50

boggis the cat
Veteran MemberPosts: 6,295Gear list
Either K5 or go the E-M5 / GH3 route

DaveP E1 wrote:

As you don't already have a big lens investment you should get more 'bang for the buck' from the Pentax kit (assuming that the lens you mention is at least fairly close to the ZD 12-60 in quality, and weather-sealed).

As already mentioned you could look at the E-M5 as a light-weight alternative -- it is fairly comparable to the K5 through to around ISO 3200-6400.  Few lenses are weather-sealed, however, and the Panasonic 12-35 f/2.8 and 35-100 f/2.8 are the fastest (aperture) zooms available and are expensive.  The 12-50 that can be bought with the E-M5 as a 'kit lens' is really a not too bad all-rounder (I use one), but fairly slow at the long end and has considerable distortion at 12 mm -- it is sealed, however.  The 12-42 and 40-150 (latest versions) are very good value, but are not weather-sealed -- I sold mine because I use the E-5 and 50-200 SWD for the telephoto end and the E-M5 with 12-50 (or the 45 f/1.8) for wide.  They can be found new for around US$100 each so you may wish to risk them as they are almost 'disposable' -- I doubt there is much risk of water getting into the E-M5 even though these lenses do not have mount o-rings.  A cheap 'plastic bag' solution for significant rain could be purchased or quickly made to fit.

Oh, and pick up some cheap after-market lens hoods -- particularly if you want something to attach a 'rain hood' to.

Also consider the Panasonic GH3 alongside the E-M5, particularly if you want to shoot video.  (The E-PL5 would also be worth considering but it is not weather-sealed, and has no built-in VF.)

Regardless of what you get, be sure to test it out thoroughly and I would suggest that you have a 'pocketable super-zoom' as a back-up in case things go wrong.  You may also consider some way of backing up shots taken each day (or more frequently) as insurance against disaster or possible theft -- a way of transferring the photos / video taken to high-capacity USB sticks may be a good solution.

boggis the cat's gear list:boggis the cat's gear list
Olympus E-5 Olympus E-M1 Olympus Zuiko Digital ED 12-60mm 1:2.8-4.0 SWD Olympus Zuiko Digital ED 50-200mm 1:2.8-3.5 SWD Olympus 12-40mm F2.8 +7 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads