Lightroom 4?

Started Feb 17, 2013 | Discussions
katman68
Regular MemberPosts: 480
Like?
Lightroom 4?
Feb 17, 2013

I just had a generous friend I sometimes shoot with give me a new copy of LR4 this wk(!), and wondered if some of my Canon friends here would mind making any recommendations as to the best way to quickly get up to speed? Are there tutorials/sites you find better out there for this?

I'm very anxious to start using all its impressive features, but it looks drastically different and a bit intimidating vs the Photoshop Elements 8 I've been using the last 2+ years! I'm also curious to see its capability handling 7D images specifically vs the ACR in Elements, and if it has a profile for my new Tokina 12-24 DXII to correct CA etc if needed. And my other lenses(EF 28-70L, EF 70-200f4L IS/1.4X Extender II, EF 100 macro USM).

Thanks in advance - greatly appreciated!

Mark

Canon EOS 7D
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Bangers and Mash
Senior MemberPosts: 1,089Gear list
Like?
Re: Lightroom 4?
In reply to katman68, Feb 17, 2013

katman68 wrote:

I just had a generous friend I sometimes shoot with give me a new copy of LR4 this wk(!), and wondered if some of my Canon friends here would mind making any recommendations as to the best way to quickly get up to speed? Are there tutorials/sites you find better out there for this?

I'm very anxious to start using all its impressive features, but it looks drastically different and a bit intimidating vs the Photoshop Elements 8 I've been using the last 2+ years! I'm also curious to see its capability handling 7D images specifically vs the ACR in Elements, and if it has a profile for my new Tokina 12-24 DXII to correct CA etc if needed. And my other lenses(EF 28-70L, EF 70-200f4L IS/1.4X Extender II, EF 100 macro USM).

Thanks in advance - greatly appreciated!

Mark

Not long ago I purchased a tutorial from www.video2brain.com regarding LR4. Awesome is probably the best way to describe it. The instructors they use are not only very knowledgeable, but they have a talent in getting instruction across. A course can be great, but if the instructor can't impart knowledge to the student, then it is a waste of time. Check them out. Their customer service run by a lady named Ann is wonderful. Tell them Wayne sent you. One of the best ways to learn this incredible program.

Cheers

Wayne

PS. I also use Elements 10, but LR4 is much better for the initial work process. When done you can transfer your image over to Elements if you choose to do so. I hope all of this helps.

-- hide signature --

"Every day the world turns over on someone who was just sitting on top of it."

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
TTMartin
Veteran MemberPosts: 6,605Gear list
Like?

Here's a link to the official Adobe Lightroom Youtube page.

I'd start there.

Included there is the Getting Started with Lightroom 4 playlist as well as numerous other playlists and tutorials.

TTMartin's gear list:TTMartin's gear list
Canon PowerShot S100 (2000) Canon PowerShot SD1000 Canon EOS 40D Canon EOS 400D Canon EOS 7D +24 more
ESfishdoc
Senior MemberPosts: 1,457
Like?

I've got a great tip... but it will cost you 25 dollars.

The good news is... it will be the some of the best bang for your buck in photography.

Get a months worth of Kelby Training... start with Matt.

http://kelbytraining.com/author/mattk/

Everything you need and more is right there....

Richard

TStott
Forum MemberPosts: 71Gear list
Like?
In reply to ESfishdoc, Feb 18, 2013

First things first, stop shooting JPEG and shoot RAW.  RAW images have a tremendous amount more information in them and you can use that info with Lightroom to really unlock the potential of your photographs.  Once you're done edits you can export them to JPEG and if you're really concerned with space you can delete the Digital Negatives (DNG/RAW) images.  Some would chastise me for saying that, especially when you can buy a 1TB drive for $100.

Youtube is great, there are many tutorials but I'd take another route to further understand workflow and how to tune your pictures to reflect what you saw.  Pick up Martin Evening's book "The Adobe Photoshop Lightroom 4 book".  It goes into the finer details and explains all the various areas like when to use saturation versus vibrance.

You're going to love Lightroom!

TStott's gear list:TStott's gear list
Canon EOS 60D Canon EF 50mm f/1.8 II Canon EF-S 10-22mm f/3.5-4.5 USM Canon EF-S 15-85mm f/3.5-5.6 IS USM Tamron SP 70-300mm F/4-5.6 Di VC USD +6 more
Sailor Blue
Senior MemberPosts: 6,794Gear list
Like?
In reply to katman68, Feb 18, 2013

Lightroom's Develop module is an easier to use version of ACR.  If you didn't find the lens profile in the latest version of ACR then you won't find it in Lightroom, but there is a solution.  Adobe gives away a couple of programs for lens profiles.  One is the Adobe Lens Profile Downloader that will look for user generated lens profiles.  The second is Adobe Lens Profile Creator that will let you create a lens profile.  If you do that for a lens that isn't supported it would be nice of you to make it available for others.

http://www.adobe.com/support/downloads/detail.jsp?ftpID=5492

http://www.adobe.com/support/downloads/product.jsp?product=193&platform=Windows

Before you start using Lightroom you should realize that it is first and foremost a database for images.  Study how and then set up your own system of storing images and setting up your own database in Lightroom.  Not only do you want to set up the database to reflect your data storage scheme you want to include a system of keywords to make sorting and finding your images easier.  There are different ways of doing this so don't jump in until you are sure how you want to set up your data base.

The Adobe LR4 tutorial is a good way to start but here are some more references.

Martin Evening - The Lightroom catalog: Digital Photography Review

Martin Evening - Lightroom Photo Import: Digital Photography Review

B&H - Tim Grey - Adobe Lightroom 4 - YouTube

B&H - Jared Platt - The Ultimate Lightroom 4 Experience - YouTube

B&H - Tim Cooper - Adobe Lightroom: The Library Module, Order from Chaos - YouTube

B&H - Tim Grey - Organizing Photos with Adobe Lightroom - YouTube

B&H - Scott Kelby & Matt Kloskoski - Quick Tips and Tricks with Adobe Lightroom 4 - YouTube

This reference almost goes too far unless you are a professional with hundreds of thousands of images but cut it down and it makes sense.

Scott Kelby Guest Blog - Seth Resnick - Lightroom Keywording in the Library Module

In addition to the Lightroom 4 video tutorials from Matt Kloskowski on KelbyTraining.com these are good tutorials.

Luminous Landscape - Jeff Schewe and Michael Reichmann - Advanced Guide + New User's Introduction to Lightroom 4

Luminous Landscape-Michael Reichmann & Seth Resnick-Assets Managment-Where the #%! are my Pictures

-- hide signature --

Living and loving it in Bangkok, Thailand. Canon 7D - See the gear list for the rest.

Sailor Blue's gear list:Sailor Blue's gear list
Canon EOS 7D +10 more
Jeff Peterman
Forum ProPosts: 10,564Gear list
Like?
In reply to TStott, Feb 18, 2013

"especially when you can buy a 1TB drive for $100"

You can buy a 2 TB drive for that - and a 3 TB for not much more. Keep the RAW files, as you never know when you may want to reprocess an image (especially if better tools become available).

-- hide signature --

Jeff Peterman, Moderator 7D and Phone/Tablet forums.
Not a staff member, or paid employee, of DPReview.
Any insults, implied anger, bad grammar and bad spelling, are entirely unintentionalal. Sorry.
www.pbase.com/jeffp25
www.jeffp25.smugmug.com

Jeff Peterman's gear list:Jeff Peterman's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ40 Canon PowerShot S110 Canon EOS 7D Canon EF-S 10-22mm f/3.5-4.5 USM Canon EF-S 17-55mm f/2.8 IS USM +16 more
katman68
Regular MemberPosts: 480
Like?
In reply to Sailor Blue, Feb 18, 2013

WOW - thanks so very much for all these helpful suggestions!!! It's given me plenty to get busy & start learning.

Lightroom sure has ALOT of capability. It definitely caters to impressive organizational features, to the point I can see getting bogged down there until figuring how best to set that up. The editing ability w/photos leaves my Elements to shame also. It could actually make working w/photos fun once I get the hang of it.

I took a look at some of the "official" Adobe YouTube videos, she does a great job & is very helpful. I do think pausing & working thru her examples before continuing will help get the most out of them. I also plan to get that suggested book soon(I noticed B & H is including a Kelby pgm with LR, but unfortunately mine came from Staples minus it). I must be old school, to me books are so helpful for learning something like complex software. Very annoying they don't at least include one on the basics to get started(we all know their main reasoning isn't to save trees).

@ TScott, I always shoot RAW + jpeg almost since getting my first 7D in 2010. Not sure what makes you assume I don't. My rule is, if it is a good shot(3 stars or better by my rating) & the RAW could improve the exposure I NEVER delete RAWS. Most of the time, I rarely delete them unless it's a bad shot or plan to not even keep the jpeg. The Adobe videos are actually more specific than you seem to realize based on the first two I watched.

I'll definitely check out those last links too. Surely there are profiles available for my lenses.

Thanks again!

Mark

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads