air travel questions

Started Feb 16, 2013 | Discussions
Charles Baxter
Contributing MemberPosts: 679Gear list
Like?
air travel questions
Feb 16, 2013

Any limit on batteries (number) that can be taken in carry on luggage, or problems with memory card erasure due to airport x-ray machines??.  I will be flying Alaska Airway from Dallas to Alaska this summer.  Would like to carry five or six batteries for E-30 in backpack which will go into overhead as well as one charger just in case checked bag gets separated from me.  Camera will be personal item in Lowepro case stored under seat  Thanks

-- hide signature --

slowbutsteady

Charles Baxter's gear list:Charles Baxter's gear list
Olympus E-30 Olympus Zuiko Digital ED 12-60mm 1:2.8-4.0 SWD Olympus Zuiko Digital ED 50-200mm 1:2.8-3.5 SWD Olympus Zuiko Digital 14-54mm 1:2.8-3.5 Sigma 105mm F2.8 EX DG Macro +5 more
Olympus E-30
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
minniev
Senior MemberPosts: 1,548
Like?
Re: air travel questions
In reply to Charles Baxter, Feb 16, 2013

I have never had any trouble taking batteries or chargers in checked or carry on luggage. I fly with my cameras about 8-10 times a year. No problem with memory cards either.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Charles Baxter
Contributing MemberPosts: 679Gear list
Like?
In reply to minniev, Feb 17, 2013

Thank you for your input.

-- hide signature --

slowbutsteady

Charles Baxter's gear list:Charles Baxter's gear list
Olympus E-30 Olympus Zuiko Digital ED 12-60mm 1:2.8-4.0 SWD Olympus Zuiko Digital ED 50-200mm 1:2.8-3.5 SWD Olympus Zuiko Digital 14-54mm 1:2.8-3.5 Sigma 105mm F2.8 EX DG Macro +5 more
Craig from Nevada
Contributing MemberPosts: 637Gear list
Like?
In reply to Charles Baxter, Feb 17, 2013

I have never had a problem with electronic gear.  The X-ray machines and such are not a problem and the personnel that man them know what they are looking at.

The biggest problem I have when traveling is with my scuba regulator.  Causes all kinds of confusion in airports not near scuba resorts.

TheSquid
Regular MemberPosts: 214
Like?

I traveled a year ago with 2 E30 batteries and 1 E620 battery in the camera bag with a bunch of AA's.....no questions asked.  Just remember, when you get to the screening area, you're going to need to pull all electronics out and put in a bin...so pack them accordingly.  Batteries and other items get to stay in your pack.

elbows2
Regular MemberPosts: 367
Like?
In reply to TheSquid, Feb 17, 2013

IIRC, a while ago there were some new requirements regarding lithium batteries -- they had to be installed in a device (e.g., camera), in original packaging, or in protective cases (e.g., plastic battery trays). The idea was to prevent contact points on two lithium batteries from coming contact with each other because this posed a fire hazard.

Not sure if this requirement still exists or is being enforced, but it is one reason I wish Oly provided the same kind of plastic tray for the BLN-1 battery as they do for the BLM-5.

John

-- hide signature --

Everything I need to know I learned at the rink: Keep your head up, your knees bent & your stick on the ice. http://www.jlhemingwayphotos.com

skysurfer5
Regular MemberPosts: 357Gear list
Like?

Charles…

In 2010, my wife and I flew Alaska Air, Fresno-Seattle-Juneau and back, for a small ship cruise for our 30th anniversary.  I had my E-1, three BLM-1s with charger, one battery for the HLD-1 with charger, some lenses, and an ST-6020 with two batteries, all in my LowePro Flipside 300.  TSA didn't bat an eye.  BTW, the Flipside is an ideal air travel bag because it's narrow enough to sit under the seat in front of you and still leave room for your feet.

Now, when my wife, son, and I flew Fresno-Salt Lake City-Idaho Falls and back  in 2008 for a week in Yellowstone, my son's backpack full of portable ham radio equipment earned him a full inspection.

Fred

-- hide signature --

'Is it the only lesson of history that mankind is unteachable?' …Winston S. Churchill

skysurfer5's gear list:skysurfer5's gear list
Olympus E-5
Jay Jenner
Contributing MemberPosts: 661Gear list
Like?
In reply to skysurfer5, Feb 18, 2013

The only time I have ever been questioned about whether I have extra batteries was last month in Hong Kong on the way to Sydney, then again at Sydney flying back to HKG. This was with Cathay Pacific. However on the other leg of the trip, BA HKG to LHR it was not mentioned.

I just read an article somewhere about a fire that started on a couple of Boeing 787 s that was allegedly caused by Li-ion batteries as part of the operational gear of the plane, and Boeing have decided to replace all these for NiCads. I guess that some airlines are a bit more twitchy about this kind of thing than others.

It does however make sense to carry spare batteries properly. I always use the little plastic backplates for my Oly batteries.

Jay Jenner's gear list:Jay Jenner's gear list
Fujifilm X10 Olympus E-M1 Olympus OM-D E-M10 Olympus 12-40mm F2.8 Olympus 40-150mm F2.8 Pro
also el
Regular MemberPosts: 312
Like?
In reply to Charles Baxter, Feb 18, 2013

i believe the tsa has a webpage somewhere that spells it all out.   i printed it out to carry with me in case there were any problems going through security.    maybe more relaxed now but basically what elbow mentioned.   keep spares in original packaging if possible and black electrical tape over the contacts area for those not in packaging.   never was a problem but didn't want to have to leave any battery packs at the security check point.

and unless you plan to be on trail backpacking for more than a day or two at a time,  pick up a voltage inverter for the car so you can keep everything charged up while driving.

have fun.

CJackJr
Contributing MemberPosts: 908Gear list
Like?
TSA Guidelines
In reply to Charles Baxter, Feb 18, 2013

Here's a link to the TSA website with specific guidelines for batteries ...

http://www.tsa.gov/traveler-information/safe-travel-batteries-and-devices

I have made numerous trips with my camera equipment, typically one or two bodies, a few lenses, and two or three batteries. I have it all packed in my camera case along with my notepad and have never been required to unpack it. I just put the camera bag in one of the bins and run it through the x-ray machine.

The only time I've had to open it was when a polarizing filter gave an odd result on the machine. They just needed to see what it was and had no problems.

Regards, Conrad

CJackJr's gear list:CJackJr's gear list
Olympus E-1 Olympus E-520 Olympus E-600 Olympus Zuiko Digital ED 50mm 1:2.0 Macro Olympus Zuiko Digital ED 14-42mm 1:3.5-5.6 +4 more
Kenneth Sloan
Regular MemberPosts: 384
Like?
In reply to Charles Baxter, Feb 19, 2013

Charles Baxter wrote:

Any limit on batteries (number) that can be taken in carry on luggage, or problems with memory card erasure due to airport x-ray machines??. I will be flying Alaska Airway from Dallas to Alaska this summer. Would like to carry five or six batteries for E-30 in backpack which will go into overhead as well as one charger just in case checked bag gets separated from me. Camera will be personal item in Lowepro case stored under seat Thanks

-- hide signature --

slowbutsteady

My understanding is that the major concern is lithium batteries in CHECKED baggage.

Carry-on is no problem.

That said - I fly 10-20 times a year, always with at least 2 cameras and associated batteries and chargers, and have never been questioned.  I used to routinely check my camera gear.  Now I usually hand-carry it (because I found an excellent bag that does everything I need.

I have been asked to remove cameras in some European airports, but never on a domestic flight.

Now that I've said that...I fully expect a full search on my next flight...oh well.

-- hide signature --

-Kenneth Sloan

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads