Veteran MemberPosts: 3,064Gear list
Like?
Amazing pic Reilly!nt
In reply to Reilly Diefenbach, Feb 19, 2013
-- hide signature --

Ray Soares
See my pictures at www.pbase.com/raysoares

Ray Soares's gear list:Ray Soares's gear list
Nikon D7000 Nikon D4 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR II Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24mm f/1.4G ED Nikon AF-S Nikkor 85mm f/1.4G +1 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Reilly Diefenbach
Senior MemberPosts: 8,394Gear list
Like?
Re: Amazing pic Reilly!nt
In reply to Ray Soares, Feb 20, 2013

Obrigado, mestre!

VittoDigital
Contributing MemberPosts: 773
Like?
Blue moon and Peiterkofel
In reply to Bob in Baltimore, Feb 20, 2013

Not sure it meets the rules as in the original pic the moon was out the upper side of the frame and I've moved it down just over the mountain. Please let me know.

Cheers

Vitto

-- hide signature --

Lol, I need an upgrade, my Nikon D6x is a too limited gear!

MarioV
Veteran MemberPosts: 4,183Gear list
Like?
Re: Blue moon and Peiterkofel
In reply to VittoDigital, Feb 20, 2013

VittoDigital wrote:

Not sure it meets the rules as in the original pic the moon was out the upper side of the frame and I've moved it down just over the mountain. Please let me know.

Cheers

Vitto

-- hide signature --

I certainly dont care. I love it!

Besides, who'd even know

MarioV's gear list:MarioV's gear list
Canon PowerShot SX50 HS Nikon D5200 Sigma 8-16mm F4.5-5.6 DC HSM Sigma 17-50mm F2.8 EX DC OS HSM Tamron SP 90mm F2.8 Di VC USD 1:1 Macro
VittoDigital
Like?
In reply to MarioV, Feb 20, 2013

MarioV wrote:

VittoDigital wrote:

Cheers

Vitto

-- hide signature --

I certainly dont care. I love it!

Besides, who'd even know

Thanks for your kind words, Mario.

The problem is I know (and, now everybody else )

Cheers

Vitto

-- hide signature --

draacor
Contributing MemberPosts: 993Gear list
Like?
Pennybacker Bridge

Took this shot using 3 images in PP.  Used both Lightroom and Photomatix to get it to where I wanted.  This is the Pennybacker Bridge in Austin, Texas.  Nearly killed myself getting to this spot as you have to hike it.  There is a sheer drop off on the left with nothing to hold onto and dragging camera gear up it was probably not the smartest.  At least it was a full moon

Second shot i just want to share, not to enter but thought it was a fun one. 

-- hide signature --

D7000
50mm 1.8D
18-105mm
55-200mm
10-24mm
http://www.flickr.com/photos/finalimpact

draacor's gear list:draacor's gear list
Nikon D800 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 50mm f/1.4G Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-300mm f/4.5-5.6G VR Nikon AF-S Micro-Nikkor 105mm f/2.8G IF-ED VR
Joking5065
Forum MemberPosts: 97
Like?
Re: *********Challenge 162- The Moon in the Landscape ***********

Taken at Chesterfield, ID ghost town, 11-15-2008

Bob in Baltimore
Regular MemberPosts: 439Gear list
Like?
In reply to VittoDigital, Feb 21, 2013

Hi Vitto.

Well, it is a great picture! Does it meet the requirements? The idea is that it should be what you could see if you were there. A few seconds (maybe even a minute) is reasonable in that such motion is imperceptible to the eye, the lighting conditions themselves have not changed significantly, and it takes some time for the camera to accomplish what the eye can do almost instantaneously ... adapt to the enormous dynamic range of the scene. This stretches the conditions too far.

So, it doesn't make it. Sorry. Thank you for calling out the conditions.

Part of a good technical and artistic challenge is to deal with the restrictions. That is what helps is grow as artists and technicians. Wonderful pictures can be made with different rules, including moving the Moon to a place where it was not, but would have looked great if it had been. But, that is not this particular challenge.

Bob

VittoDigital wrote:

Cheers

Vitto

-- hide signature --

-- hide signature --

Bob in Baltimore

Bob in Baltimore's gear list:Bob in Baltimore's gear list
Nikon D610 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-300mm f/4.5-5.6G VR Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-85mm F3.5-4.5G ED VR
VittoDigital
Like?
In reply to Bob in Baltimore, Feb 21, 2013

Bob in Baltimore wrote:

Hi Vitto.

Well, it is a great picture! Does it meet the requirements? The idea is that it should be what you could see if you were there. A few seconds (maybe even a minute) is reasonable in that such motion is imperceptible to the eye, the lighting conditions themselves have not changed significantly, and it takes some time for the camera to accomplish what the eye can do almost instantaneously ... adapt to the enormous dynamic range of the scene. This stretches the conditions too far.

So, it doesn't make it. Sorry. Thank you for calling out the conditions.

Part of a good technical and artistic challenge is to deal with the restrictions. That is what helps is grow as artists and technicians. Wonderful pictures can be made with different rules, including moving the Moon to a place where it was not, but would have looked great if it had been. But, that is not this particular challenge.

Bob

VittoDigital wrote:

-- hide signature --

Bob in Baltimore

Hi Bob,

thanks for your detailed explanation, I've got your point.

If it stops snowing I'll go out looking for something suitable for your nice Challenge.

Cheers

Vitto

-- hide signature --

sukotin
Contributing MemberPosts: 564
Like?
Soul gate
In reply to Bob in Baltimore, Feb 22, 2013
Greg Norrell
Contributing MemberPosts: 851Gear list
Like?
Full Moon Over Bryce Canyon
In reply to Bob in Baltimore, Feb 24, 2013

Image was done as an HDR composite due to the high dynamic range. Shot with D800E and 24-70mm at 55mm and f/9.  PP included filters in Color Efex Pro.

Greg Norrell's gear list:Greg Norrell's gear list
Nikon D800E
rb0321
Contributing MemberPosts: 727Gear list
Like?
Moon with the context of Jupiter, or, Jupiter with the context of the moon
In reply to Bob in Baltimore, Feb 24, 2013

Taken with the V1 and 70-300 VR on Jan 21st when they were near each other. Minimal pp in LR4.3 - obviously some cropping, adjusted levels slightly, +15 on the luminance noise reduction slider, and although there wasn't much, clicked remove chromatic aberration.

rb0321's gear list:rb0321's gear list
Nikon D5000 Nikon D7000 Nikon 1 V1 Nikon D750 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 16-85mm f/3.5-5.6G ED VR +5 more
Chris D7k
Junior MemberPosts: 44Gear list
Like?
In reply to Bob in Baltimore, Feb 25, 2013

This is a shot I took during a full moon last summer. I think I was using my Tokina 11-16

Chris D7k's gear list:Chris D7k's gear list
Nikon D7000 Nikon D810 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 14-24mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-70mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF-S Nikkor 85mm f/1.8G +2 more
Bob in Baltimore
Regular MemberPosts: 439Gear list
Like?
Re: *********Challenge 162- Ends in One Week ... on March 4 ***********
In reply to Bob in Baltimore, Feb 27, 2013

Heads up! This challenge ends in just under one week on Monday March 4, 2013 at the exact time the Moon reaches third quarter. ;=) That would be March 4 at 2153 UT (Monday at 4:53 PM in the Eastern US). If you are time zone challenged, forgiveness will be available.

The entries so far have included many shots that I would never have thought of when I defined the contest. That is great! This is a very creative group of photographers. One of the challenges of art is to respond to restrictions in a creative way, and you have done so.

I decided not to comment on the shots as they come in, as some have recently done. While that gives some nice feedback, I thought it might restrict the ideas that folks decide to submit. I have to admit that my bias is towards photos that do not blow the Moon out, but there are several examples where really great images resulted from the willingness to do that. I was also tickled that one person indicated that the context for their shot was Jupiter. And there was humor as well. Keep it up!

Last night almost 150 people showed up at the Netherlands Carillon, near the Iwo Jima Memorial in Arlington, Virginia, USA, to photograph the full Moon rising above the Lincoln Memorial, the Washington Monument, and the U.S Capitol. Hopefully some of those pictures will show up here. (I advertised the opportunity among those within earshot.)

Keep 'em coming!

-- hide signature --

Bob in Baltimore

Bob in Baltimore's gear list:Bob in Baltimore's gear list
Nikon D610 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-300mm f/4.5-5.6G VR Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-85mm F3.5-4.5G ED VR
David A. Hamments
Senior MemberPosts: 1,315Gear list
Like?
Moon Over Bunbury, WA
In reply to Bob in Baltimore, Feb 28, 2013

Cheers,
D. Hamments

David A. Hamments's gear list:David A. Hamments's gear list
Nikon 1 V2 Nikon D7100 Nikon D750 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 16-85mm f/3.5-5.6G ED VR Nikon AF-S Nikkor 300mm f/4D ED-IF +17 more
Aborigene
Regular MemberPosts: 185
Like?
over the moon

Duskbat
Regular MemberPosts: 223Gear list
Like?
Moonrise over Florida

The Moonrise over Florida.  The moon comes out to visit as everyone in the land goes to sleep.

I havnt tried many shots like this.  I hope it is liked.  I put my camera on my patio and used 2sec. timer.  The motion of the clouds is nice and there is a airplane in the shot too. 

Taken near Destin Florida around 8:30 PM CST Feb 26 3013

Duskbat's gear list:Duskbat's gear list
Canon PowerShot S120 Sony Alpha NEX-5N Sony Alpha NEX-6 Apple iPhone 5s
Gibbosa
Forum MemberPosts: 97Gear list
Like?

Moonrise, Leisure Isle beacon, Knysna, South Africa

This is the big beacon that aligns with a much smaller white one about 1km away on Knysna's Eastern Head. Get them in line, and you come through the channel safely, into the Knysna Lagoon. (An estuary, of course, but we call it a lagoon hereabouts.) Get them out of line and you're on the rocks.

Tripod, D7000, Nikon 70-200 f2.8 VR II, mirror up, remote - and the trick, as you all know is to choose which bits to get in focus. I've used LR 4 to take the moon exposure down a fraction, added some sharpening and cropped. Oh - and pushed the beacon light up - also a fraction. It flashes - so you have to time the remote!

RomanJohnston
Forum ProPosts: 18,523Gear list
Like?
Slam Dunk...

We had an eclipse and I wanted to go out shooting but had to stay home (apartment complex at the time)

I took my long lens out and put it on a tripod and placed the moon right over one of the basketball hoops. It was my 70-200 so I had to be a little inventive as the DOF was not achievable based on the space allotted. So this ended up being a blend of 2 pictures to get the moon sharp.

Other than that…this is what the naked eye (which has no DOF problems….lol) would have seen from that angle.

Good luck all….some very nice entries here ….nice job folks!!!

Roman

-- hide signature --

The most beautiful thing we can experience is the mysterious; It is the source of all true art and science.
~ Albert Einstein
http://www.commercialfineart.com/
http://www.pbase.com/romansphotos/

Shogun Fantastico
New MemberPosts: 3
Like?
Levitation
In reply to Bob in Baltimore, Mar 1, 2013

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads