Do any MX-1 owners have any comparison shots they've taken with other premium compacts?

Started Feb 16, 2013 | Discussions
2eyesee
Senior MemberPosts: 1,586
Like?
Do any MX-1 owners have any comparison shots they've taken with other premium compacts?
Feb 16, 2013

I'm very interested in the MX-1 and like what I see so far, but I haven't seen any direct photo comparisons with other premium compact camera.

Is any owner of this camera in a position to upload some comparison shots of the MX-1 and one of the current crop of premium compacts - Canon G15, Panasonic LX7, Olympus XZ-2 etc? Or even the previous generation (G12, LX5, XZ1).

I'm particularly interested in high ISO (e.g. 1600) - full resolution (or 100% crops).

I'm probably being optimistic in asking this as I expect you're all out enjoying what looks like a great new camera! 

Canon PowerShot G15 Olympus XZ-1 Panasonic Lumix DMC-LX5 Panasonic Lumix DMC-LX7 Pentax MX-1
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
photocat2007
Regular MemberPosts: 405Gear list
Like?
Re: Do any MX-1 owners have any comparison shots they've taken with other premium compacts?
In reply to 2eyesee, Feb 16, 2013

Well sadly I cannot give any direct comparisons as when I turned on my Oly XZ-1 today, it died.  (What timing!).  Of course it is passed the warranty as I bought in June 2011 but let's just say this is the first camera I've had just die on me so I'm not feeling the love with the quality.  I also could never warm up to the Oly menu though when used in RAW it produced very nice results.

I'm never a first adopter either so me getting the MX-1 now is a bit unusual for me and best decision I've made in a long time.  LOVE the handling and menus.  So incredibly easy to use and so far love the quality of the photos though granted haven't had much time to play with it under various conditions.

I've uploaded a few shots, nothing special.  All were shot in RAW.  The two close up flowers had minimal processing (one filter applied either in LR or Nik) the other with all the flowers had no processing at all, just a conversion to jpeg and compressed.





 photocat2007's gear list:photocat2007's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-LF1 Pentax K-5 Fujifilm X-A1
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
marike6
Senior MemberPosts: 5,070Gear list
Like?
Re: Do any MX-1 owners have any comparison shots they've taken with other premium compacts?
In reply to 2eyesee, Feb 17, 2013

2eyesee wrote:

I'm very interested in the MX-1 and like what I see so far, but I haven't seen any direct photo comparisons with other premium compact camera.

Is any owner of this camera in a position to upload some comparison shots of the MX-1 and one of the current crop of premium compacts - Canon G15, Panasonic LX7, Olympus XZ-2 etc? Or even the previous generation (G12, LX5, XZ1).

I'm particularly interested in high ISO (e.g. 1600) - full resolution (or 100% crops).

I'm probably being optimistic in asking this as I expect you're all out enjoying what looks like a great new camera!

Don't have the MX-1 yet, but an extremely interested in this camera as the shots I have seen look extremely sharp, with good detail.  The only thing keeping my from buying the MX-1 right now is the X20, which I'm expecting in a couple of weeks.

Anyway, some samples are starting to appear on Flickr, and there are now some full size images.  Even though they are JPEGs, they look really good.

MX-1 set on Flickr

http://www.flickr.com/photos/hadogumu/sets/72157632704451760/with/8450175215/

The image of the red chinese lantern show that they lens is fantastic.  The sensor is likely the same as 12 mp Sony sensor that is in the Olympus XZ-2 and Nikon P7700, as colors look similar.

As far as RAWs, there are some full-sized RAWs online, but I haven't found a converter that works with them as of yet, but haven't tried SilkyPix, which Pentax usually bundles with their cameras, if I'm remembering correctly.

Nicer images here, same great IQ (See link below).

http://www.quesabesde.com/noticias/pentax-mx-1-analisis-fotos-video,1_9433

Finally, PhotographyBlog has some full-size JPEGs.  Quality looks great, but cloudy weather, dull photos. See what you think (See link below).

http://www.photographyblog.com/previews/pentax_mx1_photos/

I really want this camera, but two high end compacts, plus a Nikon V1 might be overkill.  

Regards, Markus

 marike6's gear list:marike6's gear list
Nikon Coolpix P330 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH2 Nikon D800 Fujifilm X-E1 Panasonic Lumix G 20mm F1.7 ASPH +7 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
2eyesee
Senior MemberPosts: 1,586
Like?
Re: Do any MX-1 owners have any comparison shots they've taken with other premium compacts?
In reply to marike6, Feb 17, 2013

marike6 wrote:

Don't have the MX-1 yet, but an extremely interested in this camera as the shots I have seen look extremely sharp, with good detail. The only thing keeping my from buying the MX-1 right now is the X20, which I'm expecting in a couple of weeks.

Anyway, some samples are starting to appear on Flickr, and there are now some full size images. Even though they are JPEGs, they look really good.

MX-1 set on Flickr

http://www.flickr.com/photos/hadogumu/sets/72157632704451760/with/8450175215/

The image of the red chinese lantern show that they lens is fantastic. The sensor is likely the same as 12 mp Sony sensor that is in the Olympus XZ-2 and Nikon P7700, as colors look similar.

As far as RAWs, there are some full-sized RAWs online, but I haven't found a converter that works with them as of yet, but haven't tried SilkyPix, which Pentax usually bundles with their cameras, if I'm remembering correctly.

Nicer images here, same great IQ (See link below).

http://www.quesabesde.com/noticias/pentax-mx-1-analisis-fotos-video,1_9433

Finally, PhotographyBlog has some full-size JPEGs. Quality looks great, but cloudy weather, dull photos. See what you think (See link below).

http://www.photographyblog.com/previews/pentax_mx1_photos/

I really want this camera, but two high end compacts, plus a Nikon V1 might be overkill.

Regards, Markus

Thanks, Markus. And thanks for drawing my attention to this camera after I was set on a decision between the G15 and LX7 (after being disappointed with my RX100 and selling it).

I would normally have never given Pentax a second look, but the MX-1 might just beat the G15 in the IQ department - plus offer some additional features that are important to me (articulating LCD, 30p full HD video vs 24p on the G15).

I don't really care about a hotshoe and viewfinder. The only thing I find a bit disappointing is that you can't swivel the flash up to bounce it.

I've been having a look at those links and like what I see. ISO 1600 seems very useable with some noise-reduction software.

Obviously the MX-1 will be no match for the RX100 with its larger sensor at wide angles, but at the tele end the MX-1 will have a 2 stop advantage which will easily make up for that. And without the mushy corners of the RX100!

One thing I did notice though is a lot of purple fringing (just look at the branches in this shot  to see what I mean). But it very easily taken care of on something like Lightroom.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
jimr
Forum ProPosts: 11,211
Like?
Is Their An Easy Reliable Solution To The Blue Cast
In reply to 2eyesee, Feb 17, 2013

That some have reported or do you just hope that Pentax will provide a firmware solution if enough owners make them aware of the possible AWB issue?

Has anyone contacted Pentax about this?

Overall very nice images!

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
marike6
Senior MemberPosts: 5,070Gear list
Like?
Re: Do any MX-1 owners have any comparison shots they've taken with other premium compacts?
In reply to 2eyesee, Feb 17, 2013

2eyesee wrote:

marike6 wrote:

Don't have the MX-1 yet, but an extremely interested in this camera as the shots I have seen look extremely sharp, with good detail. The only thing keeping my from buying the MX-1 right now is the X20, which I'm expecting in a couple of weeks.

Anyway, some samples are starting to appear on Flickr, and there are now some full size images. Even though they are JPEGs, they look really good.

MX-1 set on Flickr

http://www.flickr.com/photos/hadogumu/sets/72157632704451760/with/8450175215/

The image of the red chinese lantern show that they lens is fantastic. The sensor is likely the same as 12 mp Sony sensor that is in the Olympus XZ-2 and Nikon P7700, as colors look similar.

As far as RAWs, there are some full-sized RAWs online, but I haven't found a converter that works with them as of yet, but haven't tried SilkyPix, which Pentax usually bundles with their cameras, if I'm remembering correctly.

Nicer images here, same great IQ (See link below).

http://www.quesabesde.com/noticias/pentax-mx-1-analisis-fotos-video,1_9433

Finally, PhotographyBlog has some full-size JPEGs. Quality looks great, but cloudy weather, dull photos. See what you think (See link below).

http://www.photographyblog.com/previews/pentax_mx1_photos/

I really want this camera, but two high end compacts, plus a Nikon V1 might be overkill.

Regards, Markus

Thanks, Markus. And thanks for drawing my attention to this camera after I was set on a decision between the G15 and LX7 (after being disappointed with my RX100 and selling it).

I would normally have never given Pentax a second look, but the MX-1 might just beat the G15 in the IQ department - plus offer some additional features that are important to me (articulating LCD, 30p full HD video vs 24p on the G15).

I don't really care about a hotshoe and viewfinder. The only thing I find a bit disappointing is that you can't swivel the flash up to bounce it.

It look like you can bounce the flash, as that seems to be what this user is doing.

As far as the LX7, I have own that camera, and like it, but was a bit disappointed by the tendency to easily blow out highlights. In other words, the LX7 seems to have the same poor DR as the GH2 that I have. This is one of the criticisms of the FZ200 in the DPR review as well (poor DR).

I have downloaded a ton of G15 images from around the web, and they look good, but honestly the full-sized images I posted above (I have downloaded them and compared them with the other cameras like the G15) look better. And I haven't really found a G15 image that has knocked by socks off (but I'm sure there are some good ones) But like the XZ-1/XZ-2, the lens on the MX-1 seems to be a cracking good lens.

I've been having a look at those links and like what I see. ISO 1600 seems very useable with some noise-reduction software.

Obviously the MX-1 will be no match for the RX100 with its larger sensor at wide angles, but at the tele end the MX-1 will have a 2 stop advantage which will easily make up for that. And without the mushy corners of the RX100!

I sold my RX100 after 4 weeks. IQ was very good, as was video quality but I just did not like shooting with it. It really feels like a P&S and not in a good way. And the lack of a good macro mode and the soft f1.8 up close really made the camera not so much fun, IMHO.

One thing I did notice though is a lot of purple fringing (just look at the branches in this shot to see what I mean). But it very easily taken care of on something like Lightroom.

Even some of the best lenses will show CA in high contrast scene like you posted, but I wouldn't worry about it. Shoot in RAW and correct in LR for the rare cases that CAs do show up. But my experience with the XZ-1 is that 28-112 f1.8-2.5 lens is one of the best ever on a compact. That thing is spot on sharp. And word is the MX-1 has the exact same lens.

Like in this MX-1 image from the Spanish website that I linked to above. The rope is extremely sharp. This kind of crispness is the first thing I noticed about all the MX-1 samples (I'm hoping the X20 I pre-ordered looks as sharp).

Pentax MX-1 sample

 marike6's gear list:marike6's gear list
Nikon Coolpix P330 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH2 Nikon D800 Fujifilm X-E1 Panasonic Lumix G 20mm F1.7 ASPH +7 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Rob13
Senior MemberPosts: 1,116Gear list
Like?
Re: Marike6: Do any MX-1 owners have any comparison shots they've taken with other premium compacts?
In reply to marike6, Feb 17, 2013

marike6 wrote:

It look like you can bounce the flash, as that seems to be what this user is doing.

Hi Marike6,

I went down to check out the MX-1 today.  Nice solid piece of metal.  Definitely, a tad on the "not light" side.  FWIW, I popped the flash and it definitely does not bounce.  Hope that is not a deal breaker for you.

Here in HK, the price is around ~US$455 if you walk around a bit, otherwise its ~US$510.  Price includes a lesser branded name 8 Gb SD card, clear plastic film LCD protector, and a throw-away tripod.

I'm still thinking about it, but my XZ-1 is still performing well, so its rather a tough decision, and perhaps I'll wait for the MX-2 when my XZ-1 starts getting long-in-the-tooth, say 2 more years from now.

Good luck!

-- hide signature --

--

Best,
Rob
------------------------------------
R3A M7 M9 X-Pro1 E-M5 X100 DP2

 Rob13's gear list:Rob13's gear list
Fujifilm X-E2 Samsung Galaxy S4 Sony Xperia ZR
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Greynerd
Senior MemberPosts: 3,668
Like?
Re: Do any MX-1 owners have any comparison shots they've taken with other premium compacts?
In reply to marike6, Feb 17, 2013

Why is your camera model shown as Ricoh only whereas others are Pentax Ricoh. Is the branding being shifted on the compacts to Ricoh?

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
marike6
Senior MemberPosts: 5,070Gear list
Like?
Re: Do any MX-1 owners have any comparison shots they've taken with other premium compacts?
In reply to Greynerd, Feb 17, 2013

Greynerd wrote:

Why is your camera model shown as Ricoh only whereas others are Pentax Ricoh. Is the branding being shifted on the compacts to Ricoh?

The MX-1 firmware causes it to be detected by Flickr as "Pentax Ricoh IMAGING Pentax MX-1" which AFAIK, is the official name of Pentax now that Ricoh has purchased them.

By the way, it's not my MX-1.  I don't have one yet, but if I keep seeing nice IQ like in MX-1 sample images from around the web, I'll have no choice but to buy one.

 marike6's gear list:marike6's gear list
Nikon Coolpix P330 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH2 Nikon D800 Fujifilm X-E1 Panasonic Lumix G 20mm F1.7 ASPH +7 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Greynerd
Senior MemberPosts: 3,668
Like?
Re: Do any MX-1 owners have any comparison shots they've taken with other premium compacts?
In reply to marike6, Feb 17, 2013

marike6 wrote:

Greynerd wrote:

Why is your camera model shown as Ricoh only whereas others are Pentax Ricoh. Is the branding being shifted on the compacts to Ricoh?

The MX-1 firmware causes it to be detected by Flickr as "Pentax Ricoh IMAGING Pentax MX-1" which AFAIK, is the official name of Pentax now that Ricoh has purchased them.

By the way, it's not my MX-1. I don't have one yet, but if I keep seeing nice IQ like in MX-1 sample images from around the web, I'll have no choice but to buy one.

Sorry I did not read it properly. The reaction here seems a bit more positive than for the XZ-2 which is getting a bit hammered for focusing problems. It looks like Pentax have got the fundamentals right. By keeping it simple hopefully they can shave the price so it could be very competitive.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
2eyesee
Senior MemberPosts: 1,586
Like?
Re: Do any MX-1 owners have any comparison shots they've taken with other premium compacts?
In reply to marike6, Feb 18, 2013

marike6 wrote:

It look like you can bounce the flash, as that seems to be what this user is doing.

In the The Camera Store TV video review they confirm that you can't bounce the flash. But I'm sure I could apply some of the home-grown solutions I've seen in various threads that make use of something reflective (like foil) to bounce it.

I sold my RX100 after 4 weeks. IQ was very good, as was video quality but I just did not like shooting with it. It really feels like a P&S and not in a good way. And the lack of a good macro mode and the soft f1.8 up close really made the camera not so much fun, IMHO.

Well I got to 6 weeks before my RX100 started irritating me so much that I sold it. I just didn't find it a well balanced package. IQ was great in the middle but very soft in the corners. Image stabilisation was very poor. And while the lens was fast at f/1.8 wide open it closed down to f/4.9 at full tele - that 3 stops. So every time I took a photo zooming in on something I kept having to consider whether I'd be better off going at a wider angle and either stepping forward or cropping so I could take advantage of a wider aperture. With the MX-1 you don't need to worry about that as there's only a 1 stop difference across the entire focal range.

Like you I'm looking forward to the Fuji X20, but even if it does beat the MX-1 for IQ the MX-1 may still a better buy for me. I really appreciate a tilting LCD, and the X20 is going to be quite a bit more expensive than the MX-1. I guess the final decision for me will be on just how close the MX-1 is to the X20 in the IQ department.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads