Help with importing into a specific location in LR4 please

Started Feb 16, 2013 | Questions
davidevans1
Senior MemberPosts: 1,075
Like?
Help with importing into a specific location in LR4 please
Feb 16, 2013

I'm having problems importing to a specific location so need some help please.

I'm using a Sigma camera and this creates X3F files that Lightroom doesn't support. So I import these with the (awful) Sigma PhotoPro 5 software and am putting them in E:/My Pictures/SigmaDP2M/2013/2013.02.14 folder

I'm then batch creating TIFF copies and putting these copies in the same folder.

I'm then opening LR4 and importing from this folder. This then shows thumbnails for all the files - X3F without a photo and an unsupported message, and the TIFFs with a thumbnail. All are ticked. IS THERE A WAY I CAN JUST HAVE THE TIFF FILES TICKED, rather than having to manually until all the X3F files please?

Next I'm trying to choose the destination folder in LR4 that is exactly the same as the location folder, but LR4 insists on creating the sub folder within the 2013.02.14 folder of /2013/02-14 HOW DO I STOP THIS HAPPENING PLEASE? It seems to create a completely new set of files and the 02-14 folder properties shows 4GB size.

Thanks for help with these two questions.

-- hide signature --

David

ANSWER:
This question has not been answered yet.
richardplondon
Veteran MemberPosts: 8,400Gear list
Like?
Re: Help with importing into a specific location in LR4 please
In reply to davidevans1, Feb 16, 2013

LR does not (yet) have a method of filtering or sorting the images presented in its Import screen, by filetype (I think it would be a good idea, also by creation date, etc).

If you can generate your TIFF files with a filename that sorts differently, you can sort the Import screen by filename and at least group those together for easier selection.

If you don't want to manually highlight the thumbnails you wish to include, you would need to either create your TIFFs into a different folder in the first place, or else make use of your OS file browser's ability to sort images by creation date / filetype, to then separate them into different folders yourself - so that LR sees a folder with files of only one type.

The reason your files are being duplicated, is because you have got "Copy" selected at the top of the Import window. "Move" moves files without duplicating them, and "Add" simply imports them where they are.

The "destination" panel at the right hand side includes manual subfolder options at the top, and just below that, an "organize" selector which controls the auto-creation of subfolders by various rules (unless "into one folder" is selected). These only relate to "Move" and to "Copy" - and this is most helpful when bringing pictures into the computer in the first place, from camera card.

However, if you use the "Add" option then this entire "destination" panel is simply disabled. So if some image types are going to fail to import (for now, until LR does support them directly) then - presumably - there will be no adverse problem if LR has them highlighted anyway?

richardplondon's gear list:richardplondon's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-LX1 Pentax K-5 Sigma 10-20mm F4-5.6 EX DC HSM Pentax smc DA 21mm F3.2 AL Limited Pentax smc DA 70mm F2.4 AL Limited +7 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
suddie1215
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,809Gear list
Like?
In reply to davidevans1, Feb 16, 2013

davidevans1 wrote:

I'm using a Sigma camera and this creates X3F files that Lightroom doesn't support. So I import these with the (awful) Sigma PhotoPro 5 software and am putting them in E:/My Pictures/SigmaDP2M/2013/2013.02.14 folder

I'm then batch creating TIFF copies and putting these copies in the same folder.

I'm then opening LR4 and importing from this folder. This then shows thumbnails for all the files - X3F without a photo and an unsupported message, and the TIFFs with a thumbnail. All are ticked. IS THERE A WAY I CAN JUST HAVE THE TIFF FILES TICKED, rather than having to manually until all the X3F files please?

Which operating system are you using, Mac or Windows?  There's no way to sort and select by file type in Lightroom's Import dialog box but there are several work arounds.  The simplest would be to use your computer's file manager (Finder or Windows Explorer) to sort the files by file type, then make a continuguous selection of the TIFFs (by clicking on the first one, then holding down the SHIFT key and clicking on the last one), and drag and drop the entire selection to the Lightroom icon on the desktop or in the taskbar (Windows).  This will automatically invoke Lightroom with the Import dialog active and only the TIFFS will be ticked/checked.

Next I'm trying to choose the destination folder in LR4 that is exactly the same as the location folder, but LR4 insists on creating the sub folder within the 2013.02.14 folder of /2013/02-14 HOW DO I STOP THIS HAPPENING PLEASE? It seems to create a completely new set of files and the 02-14 folder properties shows 4GB size.

-- hide signature --

David

Are you using the Add option in the Import dialog box?  If you want to import files that are already in the desired location, use the Add function rather than Copy or Move.

suddie1215's gear list:suddie1215's gear list
Canon EOS-1D Mark III Canon EOS 5D Mark II Canon EOS-1D Mark IV Canon EOS M Canon EF 50mm f/1.4 USM +11 more
davidevans1
Like?
In reply to richardplondon, Feb 16, 2013

Thank you Richard ...again! I haven't the opportunity to get back on the computer until tomorrow, but will have a look and report back.

-- hide signature --

David

davidevans1
Like?
In reply to suddie1215, Feb 16, 2013

Suddie1215 - thank you. I'm using Windows 7. I'll have the opportunity to have another look at this tomorrow.

-- hide signature --

David

johnsong
Senior MemberPosts: 1,170
Like?
In reply to davidevans1, Feb 17, 2013

davidevans1 wrote:

From the import dialog box

From the tabs "Copy as DNG Copy Move Add" select ADD

This will solve your problem

-- hide signature --

David

goanna
Contributing MemberPosts: 621Gear list
Like?
In reply to davidevans1, Feb 17, 2013

As Richard says

Sorting the files into type makes selection easier. You can do shift select to select multiple files then click the check box do deselect or select multiple files with one click.

goanna's gear list:goanna's gear list
Sigma DP2 Quattro Canon EOS 5D Canon EOS 40D Canon EOS 7D Canon EF-S 15-85mm f/3.5-5.6 IS USM +9 more
richardplondon
Veteran MemberPosts: 8,400Gear list
Like?
unfortunately
In reply to goanna, Feb 17, 2013

Sorting the files into type makes selection easier.

The LR "Import" screen (surprisingly, IMO) does not provide that sorting option.

richardplondon's gear list:richardplondon's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-LX1 Pentax K-5 Sigma 10-20mm F4-5.6 EX DC HSM Pentax smc DA 21mm F3.2 AL Limited Pentax smc DA 70mm F2.4 AL Limited +7 more
goanna
Contributing MemberPosts: 621Gear list
Like?
Re: unfortunately
In reply to richardplondon, Feb 18, 2013

Richard

Right as usual

I have been sorting into media type and have not had the need to sort by file type.

I stupidly thought there was a sort by type option without checking.

Apologies to the OP.

goanna's gear list:goanna's gear list
Sigma DP2 Quattro Canon EOS 5D Canon EOS 40D Canon EOS 7D Canon EF-S 15-85mm f/3.5-5.6 IS USM +9 more
davidevans1
Like?
In reply to johnsong, Feb 18, 2013

johnsong wrote:

davidevans1 wrote:

From the import dialog box

From the tabs "Copy as DNG Copy Move Add" select ADD

This will solve your problem

-- hide signature --

David

'Copy as DNG' does solve the problem, very quickly, though they don't copy as DNG but still as TIFFs (which is OK). Thanks

-- hide signature --

David

davidevans1
Like?
Thanks
In reply to richardplondon, Feb 18, 2013

I've got this working as I want it now, and have taken your device and moved the TIFF files into a subfolder so they are separated at source.

Thanks

-- hide signature --

David

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads