Epson 3800 - Mac OSX Mountain Lion - LFP Remote Panel Inaccessible

Started Feb 15, 2013 | Questions
wetsignal
New MemberPosts: 15
Like?
Epson 3800 - Mac OSX Mountain Lion - LFP Remote Panel Inaccessible
Feb 15, 2013

Hello. I took a look around the forum but could not find the answer. I recently switched from Windows XP to Mac OSX ML (in order to avoid Win 8) and everything has gone rather smoothly except that I have discovered that I cannot access the Epson Remote Panel for my Epson 3800 printer. You know how in Windows while printing, you get the option to go into the printer panel to make any adjustments before initializing the print process? I can't figure out how to do that. And when I go into System Preferences - Print and Scan - and open the print utility, the Remote Panel is listed there but is greyed out (pic). This is driving me crazy! How do I access the detailed configuration of the printer in OSX ML? Thanks for any help.

Jason.

ANSWER:
This question has not been answered yet.
wetsignal
Like?
Re: Epson 3800 - Mac OSX Mountain Lion - LFP Remote Panel Inaccessible
In reply to wetsignal, Feb 15, 2013

And...if for some reason the Remote Panel is no longer available, how the heck do I access the finer controls for the printer (you know, all the important stuff)?

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Howard Moftich
Veteran MemberPosts: 5,625
Like?

All that is available via the normal printer driver.  When you hit 'Print' in Photoshop or whatever, you will (eventually) be dumped into the printer driver where you can set whatever you want.  I've used a 3800 w/ a Mac for 3+ years and have not had any problem.

wetsignal
Like?
In reply to Howard Moftich, Feb 15, 2013

It is starting to sound like the answer is "no" to the issue of Remote Panel compatibility. I am having no problem printing per se, but I cannot access the plethora of printer controls that used to be accessible via Remote Panel--paper type, printing speed, quality/dpi, turn off printer color management (a biggie). I have never used the top lcd panel for these functions but hopefully they are available there, no? Time to find that manual. Below shows me trying to print in Photoshop. You can see there is no such functionality in the stock OSX print details dialog.

Howard Moftich
Like?

click on the pulldown that has the word 'Layout' and look Print Settings and the others.

wetsignal
Like?
In reply to Howard Moftich, Feb 15, 2013

Holy crap! Thank you! I would never have thought all of that would be listed under "layout," which to me seems like a rather vague name for that pulldown. One follow up question: how do I set the defaults for these settings (like the fact that I always print matte and I don't want the printer switching inks, wasting them)? Must I do it through the lcd panel or is there another tab somewhere that lets me access these same settings in a way that saves my preferences as the default? Or maybe OSX simply remembers the last used setting (which wasn't the case in Win XP).

wetsignal
Like?

And the fine art paper options are greyed out (velvet, etc.), why? How do I get them back? I use Hahnemuhle Photo Rag Bright White and need the Velvet Fine Art paper type in order to print.

Howard Moftich
Like?

Just setup everything as you want and then under 'Presets' you'll see an option to use the current settings as a new preset.  I don't recall if there is a 'use the current settings as teh default' button hidden somewhere.  The choice of PK or MK is driven by the paper choice (and also the paper path (which is selected in the paper SIZE menu).  What that means is that it's about impossible to choose MK ink for Premium Lustre or any paper that uses that as it's media type etc etc.

Howard Moftich
Like?

In the Paper Setup menu, make sure you select 'Rear Feed' or whatever they call it. If you pick the autofeeder (or whatever they call it), most of the Fine Art papers go grey. Epson doesn't want you to use the autofeeder for those papers.

wetsignal wrote:

And the fine art paper options are greyed out (velvet, etc.), why? How do I get them back? I use Hahnemuhle Photo Rag Bright White and need the Velvet Fine Art paper type in order to print.

wetsignal
Like?
In reply to Howard Moftich, Feb 16, 2013

In the print settings dialog, "Sheet Feeder" is preselected without any drop down menu and I cannot find anywhere else to change paper type/feeder. I understand about paper types, inks and what paper goes in which feeder. It's the Mac way of selecting these options I cannot figure out. Your help is greatly appreciated.

Howard Moftich
Like?
In reply to wetsignal, Feb 16, 2013

Go to Paper Size and then select the size.  There should be a -> arrow on the right which gives access to other paper paths (ie. Manual - Rear).  Once that is done, you will be able to select VFA or whatever FA paper you want.

wetsignal
Like?
In reply to Howard Moftich, Feb 16, 2013

Geez, they don't make it obvious do they? I don't know if you have any windows experience, but all of this was far easier in XP. Luckily, OSX is far superior in every other way so it's worth the trouble. Thank you for all your help, you have saved me hours, maybe days of frustration.

Howard Moftich
Like?
In reply to wetsignal, Feb 16, 2013

Yea, not too obvious.  The 'all the FA papers are greyed out' question baffles most new users.  Epson really does not make any sort indication about it.  Just experience and trial/error.

wetsignal
Like?
In reply to Howard Moftich, Feb 26, 2013

Hi, I am having another problem with getting the rear feed (fine art papers) option to be not greyed out. "Destination Paper Size" is greyed out unless the "Scale to fit paper size" box is checked. And I have to get into that dropdown in order to select rear feed under the given paper size. Am I missing something?...Probably, but I cannot figure it out. I want to print the exact size I specify in Photoshop, not simply scale to whatever paper size I am using. Thanks again for any help.

wetsignal
Like?
In reply to wetsignal, Feb 26, 2013

So, it appears after some testing that the "scale to fit paper" setting is ignored at print stage, which is good. However, another question. Under "Color Matching" Colorsync is selected and greyed out. And under "Print Settings > "Advanced Color Settings" the "Appropriate Colorsync Profile" is not the one I am using (it's for the paper I chose in paper handling--Velvet Fine Art, but I am using Hahnemuhle Photo Rag which requires the Velvet paper handling method). I am confused as to what color profile is being used or even what the heck is happening to the color. The prints look ok, but I am not confident that my settings are being used if you know what I mean. Maybe I have no concept of what exactly Colorsync is or does?

Howard Moftich
Like?
In reply to wetsignal, Feb 26, 2013

The printer driver will *ONLY* know about Epson papers so that is why 3rd party papers like what you're using have to be equated to something in the Epson family (VFA in your specific case).  The color is handled separately (via the color profile) from the 'media' (which controls things like ink density, head timing/delay, preferred paths, etc).  So, yea, when I'm using a certain Canson paper, I'm specifying the Canson profile in Photoshop/LR but when I'm *FINALLY* in the printer driver and it's asking about 'media', I have to select Epson Premium Semi-Gloss.  It's weird and unsettling but it's the right way.

wetsignal
Like?
In reply to Howard Moftich, Feb 26, 2013

OK, I get it. In XP I was used to selecting Velvet *media type* when printing Photo Rag for the reasons of proper paper handling, but when I saw "Pro38 VFAP" selected as *appropriate colorsync profile* it made me nervous. From what it sounds like that fear was unfounded. Thanks, and I hope to bother you no further.

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads