Going on Safari - but which camera XS-1 or Nikon D700?

Started Feb 15, 2013 | Discussions
2nd degree
Regular MemberPosts: 106Gear list
Like?
Going on Safari - but which camera XS-1 or Nikon D700?
Feb 15, 2013

Hi All,

After some advice here.  Lucky enough to be going to Kenya (Tsavo East) later this year.  I currently shoot with a D700 and have the Nikon 70-200 f2.8 and a 1.7 TC.

Naturally I'm reluctant to take this combo with me for a few reasons:

1.  Don't really want to be swapping lenses when I need wider shots (dust and inconvenience)

2.  Risk of damage/theft.

3.  Weight

I have thought about the XS-1 as viable alternative but wondering if I may feel frustrated by it compared to the D700.

Naturally the focal length and IQ of the larger sensor appeal to me but the last hybrid camera I used was the Fuji Z602 (a great camera at the time) which I appreciate was some years ago!

My main concerns are the EVF and lag I suppose.  Would love to go along to Jessops and try one out but alas thats no longer possible!!!    Do you guys reckon the XS-1 would be a good choice fo Safari?

Thanks

Alan

2nd degree's gear list:2nd degree's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-ZS7 Nikon D80 Nikon D700 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 18-70mm f/3.5-4.5G ED-IF Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-70mm f/2.8G ED +4 more
Nikon D700
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
jcmarfilph
Senior MemberPosts: 7,592Gear list
Like?
Re: Going on Safari - but which camera XS-1 or Nikon D700?
In reply to 2nd degree, Feb 15, 2013

2nd degree wrote:

Hi All,

After some advice here. Lucky enough to be going to Kenya (Tsavo East) later this year. I currently shoot with a D700 and have the Nikon 70-200 f2.8 and a 1.7 TC.

1. Don't really want to be swapping lenses when I need wider shots (dust and inconvenience)

2. Risk of damage/theft.

3. Weight

I have thought about the XS-1 as viable alternative but wondering if I may feel frustrated by it compared to the D700.

Naturally the focal length and IQ of the larger sensor appeal to me but the last hybrid camera I used was the Fuji Z602 (a great camera at the time) which I appreciate was some years ago!

My main concerns are the EVF and lag I suppose. Would love to go along to Jessops and try one out but alas thats no longer possible!!! Do you guys reckon the XS-1 would be a good choice fo Safari?

Thanks

Alan

Yes it will. Just make sure you shoot in RAW+JPEG, continuous shot mode (5fps) so you can track the moving critters while you are pressing the shutter button. Make sure to bring a backup camera (compact travelzoom like F800exr or Canon or Pana equivalent) though coz Safari is Safari and you wouldn't want to end up with no picture at all. Good luck and share pictures.

-=[ Joms ]=-

jcmarfilph's gear list:jcmarfilph's gear list
Fujifilm X20 Fujifilm FinePix HS50 EXR +1 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
DS21
Senior MemberPosts: 1,627Gear list
Like?

2nd degree wrote:

Hi All,

After some advice here. Lucky enough to be going to Kenya (Tsavo East) later this year. I currently shoot with a D700 and have the Nikon 70-200 f2.8 and a 1.7 TC.

1. Don't really want to be swapping lenses when I need wider shots (dust and inconvenience)

2. Risk of damage/theft.

3. Weight

My main concerns are the EVF and lag I suppose. Would love to go along to Jessops and try one out but alas thats no longer possible!!! Do you guys reckon the XS-1 would be a good choice fo Safari?

Thanks

Alan

EVF is quite good, but if often freezes up during focusing, so you can't follow the moving target while the camera is acquiring focus. It's best to try it before the trip to see if this will be a problem. Also, keep in mind that for best results from this camera it has to be used in a 6 MP mode (characteristics of a EXR sensor used), so there is not much room for cropping. It would be probably best to get D3200 or D5200 and 18-200 VR (or Sigma 18-250 HSM OS macro) to get the best possible quality without lens swaps (with some cropping of course). No super-zoom bridge camera will be good enough if you are used to D700 and 70-200 2.8.

DS21's gear list:DS21's gear list
Fujifilm FinePix F11 Zoom Fujifilm FinePix F30 Zoom Fujifilm FinePix F31fd Fujifilm FinePix F100fd Fujifilm FinePix S6000fd +9 more
marike6
Senior MemberPosts: 5,070Gear list
Like?
D700 for sure....
In reply to DS21, Feb 15, 2013

DS21 wrote:

2nd degree wrote:

Hi All,

2. Risk of damage/theft.

3. Weight

Thanks

Alan

It would be probably best to get D3200 or D5200 and 18-200 VR (or Sigma 18-250 HSM OS macro) to get the best possible quality without lens swaps (with some cropping of course). No super-zoom bridge camera will be good enough if you are used to D700 and 70-200 2.8.

Totally agree with DS21 about the D700/70-200 2.8. IQ of the X-S1 is quite good, but it's not on the same level as the D700. If you are concerned about swapping lenses, why not just rent a Nikon 28-300? It's won't be as sharp as your 70-200 2.8, but it's a whole lot smaller and lighter.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/729950-USA/Nikon_2191_AF_S_NIKKOR_28_300mm_f_3_5_5_6G.html

But a safari is often a once in a lifetime trip, so personally, I'd want the best possible images. You might consider bringing along a mega zoom compact or bridge as a backup, but for the majority of your images, I should think you'd want to the camera with the best possible IQ.

If you are worried about your D700, you could rent another DSLR but depending on the model, that could get expensive.

You could also think about buying or renting a Nikon 70-300 VR, which is one of the better 70-300s available. But as you said, in dusty environments, switching lenses too frequently is not the best idea. But I wouldn't let some idea that it will there will be dust blowing every which way all of the time. Conditions may be quite a bit better than that, so you may be preparing for a worst case scenario unnecessarily.

Still, it's good to be prepared, but if I were going on such an wonderful trip that's sure to be filled with great photo ops, I wouldn't think of leaving my D800 at home. No way.

marike6's gear list:marike6's gear list
Nikon Coolpix P330 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH2 Nikon D800 Fujifilm X-E1 Panasonic Lumix G 20mm F1.7 ASPH +7 more
LTZ470
Forum ProPosts: 10,448
Like?
Re: EM5 for sure....
In reply to marike6, Feb 15, 2013

EM5 Panasonic 100-300 and Oly 12mm f/2...I would have to carry the 75mm f/1.8 as well, just couldn't leave it behind...

I take 2000 to 5000 USD cameras and equipment with me to Nigeria often...never had any issues...yet...

Read the Maneaters of Tsavo years ago...what a great read...

-- hide signature --

--Really there is a God...and He loves you..
FlickR Photostream:
www.flickr.com/photos/46756347@N08/
Mr Ichiro Kitao, I support the call to upgrade the FZ50.
I will not only buy one but two no questions asked...

papillon_65
Forum ProPosts: 18,140Gear list
Like?

2nd degree wrote:

Hi All,

2. Risk of damage/theft.

3. Weight

Thanks

Alan

Personally I'd be quite happy to shoot a Safari with the X-S1, it's made for it, great range and great IQ with loads of versatility. Interestingly the Fuji samples were taken by a Pro on Safari . I think the X-S1 definitely has good enough image quality, the quality images will be down to you, enjoy your trip whatever you choose.

-- hide signature --

For the person who is good with a hammer, everything in life tends to look like a nail.....
Tony
http://the-random-photographer.blogspot.com/

papillon_65's gear list:papillon_65's gear list
Sigma DP1 Merrill Sigma DP2 Merrill Fujifilm XF1 Sigma DP3 Merrill Fujifilm X-T1 +3 more
Robert Garcia NYC
Contributing MemberPosts: 988Gear list
Like?
In reply to papillon_65, Feb 15, 2013

bring something small in case you gotta run : )

marike6
Like?
Why one earth...
In reply to LTZ470, Feb 15, 2013

LTZ470 wrote:

EM5 Panasonic 100-300 and Oly 12mm f/2...I would have to carry the 75mm f/1.8 as well, just couldn't leave it behind...

Why would you bring an EM-5 which has extremely poor AF Tracking abilities and a mediocre Panasonic 100-300 zoom that's soft at 300mm? That's makes about as much sense as going out and buying an X-S1 when you already own a far superior camera in the D700.

If you are were shooting static subjects, or taking travel photos that would be one thing, but none of the m43 cameras are any good at AF Tracking. So bringing one in favor of a camera that has awesome PDAF, and better IQ on a once in a lifetime photo trip is a poor idea. If it's reach the OP needs, all he has to do is rent or buy a proper telephoto meant for professional use.

And do you even have any idea what an amazing lens the AF-S Nikon 70-200 2.8 is?  This is a professional grade telephoto zoom, the standard lens for ALL photojournalists. It takes all Nikon TCs, and will provide significantly better IQ than a soft, low-contrast consumer Pany 100-300 zoom.  AND he already owns it.

If I were going, I'd take the D700 (actually my D800) and possibly a D7000 which will give you a bit more reach due to the crop sensor. All three of these cameras will give you far better IQ than an EM5, much better low-light performance, better DR, and richer, better looking colors.

The EM-5 is not a bad camera.  I wouldn't bring it as my only camera on a photo safari.

Nikon Coolpix P330 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH2 Nikon D800 Fujifilm X-E1 Panasonic Lumix G 20mm F1.7 ASPH +7 more
2nd degree
Like?
In reply to Robert Garcia NYC, Feb 15, 2013

Thanks for the help (I think  )

No easy answer here!  I have a D80 at my disposal which gives me the 1.5x crop factor too, but I wouldn't fancy using it above ISO800 (guess that's unlikely as light levels should be okay).  Also it's nowhere near as nice as the D700 to use, plus I'm worried about the 70-200mm lens value wise.

Not sure I want to make another lens purchase either, because I'd never use it once I got home.

Got a Panasonic TZ10 as backup which is okay for snapshots.

Jeez, I just don't know what to do.  I am still drawn to the convenience of the XS-1.  Think I'll see if I can track a nearby store down that has one in stock.

Alternatively I just take the D700 and lens(es) and make sure it's all insured.  (Is covered on my household but would need to check for abroad).

Panasonic Lumix DMC-ZS7 Nikon D80 Nikon D700 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 18-70mm f/3.5-4.5G ED-IF Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-70mm f/2.8G ED +4 more
papillon_65
Like?
Re: EM5 for sure....
In reply to marike6, Feb 15, 2013

marike6 wrote:

LTZ470 wrote:

Why would you bring an EM-5 which has extremely poor AF Tracking abilities and a mediocre Panasonic 100-300 zoom that's soft at 300mm? That's makes about as much sense as going out and buying an X-S1 when you already have a far superior camera in the D700.

Why on earth would you need C-AF for subjects that often stand still in the savannah? The E-M5 auto-focusing can easily handle moving objects as well. C-AF is not a pre-requisite for shooting moving subjects, especially large animals which are easy to capture using S-AF on any camera.

If you are were shooting static subjects, or taking travel photos that would be one thing, but none of the m43 cameras are any good at AF Tracking. So bringing one in favor of a camera that has awesome PDAF, and better IQ on a once in a lifetime photo trip is a poor idea. If it's reach the OP needs, all he has to do is rent or buy a proper telephoto meant for professional use.

You don't need the best gear to get the best photo's. A camera like the E-M5 or X-S1 will get you stunning photo's if you know how to use them. Not having to change lenses in a dusty environment is a massive plus, as is not having to cart around heavy and expensive gear. Of course some people will take bland shots whatever gear they have so it doesn't really matter either way.

If I were going, I'd take the D700 (or my D800) and possibly a D7000 which will give you a bit more reach due to the crop sensor. All three of these cameras will give you far better IQ than an EM5, much better low-light performance, and richer, better looking colors.

Quality images are far more important than "IQ" and that's purely down to the photographer.

-- hide signature --

For the person who is good with a hammer, everything in life tends to look like a nail.....
Tony

Sigma DP1 Merrill Sigma DP2 Merrill Fujifilm XF1 Sigma DP3 Merrill Fujifilm X-T1 +3 more
papillon_65
Like?

2nd degree wrote:

Thanks for the help (I think )

No easy answer here! I have a D80 at my disposal which gives me the 1.5x crop factor too, but I wouldn't fancy using it above ISO800 (guess that's unlikely as light levels should be okay). Also it's nowhere near as nice as the D700 to use, plus I'm worried about the 70-200mm lens value wise.

Not sure I want to make another lens purchase either, because I'd never use it once I got home.

Jeez, I just don't know what to do. I am still drawn to the convenience of the XS-1. Think I'll see if I can track a nearby store down that has one in stock.

Go and try one, they really are very good, my normal camera is an E-M5 but I'll quite happily use the X-S1 for anything and everything.

Alternatively I just take the D700 and lens(es) and make sure it's all insured. (Is covered on my household but would need to check for abroad).

-- hide signature --

Tony

marike6
Like?

2nd degree wrote:

No easy answer here! I have a D80 at my disposal which gives me the 1.5x crop factor too, but I wouldn't fancy using it above ISO800 (guess that's unlikely as light levels should be okay). Also it's nowhere near as nice as the D700 to use, plus I'm worried about the 70-200mm lens value wise.

Jeez, I just don't know what to do. I am still drawn to the convenience of the XS-1. Think I'll see if I can track a nearby store down that has one in stock.

Alternatively I just take the D700 and lens(es) and make sure it's all insured. (Is covered on my household but would need to check for abroad).

You could rent or buy a refurbished D7000, which is an extremely fast camera, with great DR, high ISO (not nearly as good as the D700, but great for an APS-C camera) and beautiful colors.  It's silly to buy new gear when you already have such superb equipment.

If there is a guide or if you booked the trip through a travel agent you might ask about your safety concerns.  It's possible you are worrying for nothing.

I've seen some good images with the X-S1, but I would worry about AF performance.  And an X-S1 is not exactly cheap.  You could probably rent a D7000 and 70-300 VR for half the price of the X-S1 and you'll get far better, more salable images.

Whatever you do, make sure you bring a wide angle lens and tripod so you can make some long exposure, sunset or landscape type images.

I think ultimately if you leave your D700 at home you may regret it.  A camera like that is meant to be used.  Can't wait to see your images when you return.  Good luck.  Markus

Danielepaolo
Senior MemberPosts: 4,274
Like?

D700 and quality compact but if you are the type to fret over your equipment then get the XS-1. Make sure you give yourself plenty of time to accustomise yourself with the camera and that you are hapy with the output.

-- hide signature --

Apologies if my lack of photographic knowledge is catching.

painterdude
Senior MemberPosts: 2,785Gear list
Like?

Take your 700 and buy a 3200 or preferably a D5200. Put a wide angle zoom - say a 24-70 on the 5200 and keep the zoom on your 700 or visa versa.Your choice.

If you want to have the best IQ do not rely on a bridge. Its a bit more work to shoot two DSLRs..but after long experience ..its worth doing. I shoot a D90 and a D800E in combo. No lens chages ..just quick camera swops.

I also carry my Fuji 770 for the odd macro shot .

enjoy..

g

painterdude's gear list:painterdude's gear list
Fujifilm FinePix F770EXR Nikon D90 Nikon D800E
Wellington100
Veteran MemberPosts: 6,051Gear list
Like?

2nd degree wrote:

There is a particular problem with safaris and that is that the animals are usually quite far away. One way or another this will create problems. If you take the F700, the 12mp output coupled with the 200mm lens will mean that the animals will be small in the image and not much cropping can be done.

The 600mm Fuji lens takes you that much closer but obviously you lose the low light capability and instant focusing of the FF. At the end of the day the purpose of a safari is to see the game so I think that the benefits of the Fuji may outweigh the benefits of the Nikon in this instance.

Make sure you check the lens on the Fuji for droop before you take it out of the store.

Another possibility if it is available in time for your safari is the new HS50, with faster focus, an even longer lens and better low light capability than the HS30, it may be the dream budget safari and birding option.

-- hide signature --

S100fs, S6500, S5, F300, D40, EX1, EPM1

papillon_65
Like?
One other thing I forgot...

the X-S1 has a rather nifty panorama sweep capability. 120 or 360 degrees, you can even do it in portrait orientation mode to make the image taller. This is really handy and would be great for some sweeping vista shots, just saying....

-- hide signature --

Tony

labe
labe MOD
Senior MemberPosts: 2,826Gear list
Like?

Well i`ve used a E620 with 70-300mm , then used an HS10. I now use the X-S1 as my one for all soloution.

Take a look here.  http://www.safari-guide.co.uk/

Yes your D700 with 70-200 would be better, but if you are reluctant to take it the X-S1 will do the job.

Cheers Paul UK

-- hide signature --

new to technology,always learning

labe's gear list:labe's gear list
Fujifilm FinePix IS-1 Fujifilm FinePix HS50 EXR Fujifilm FinePix S5 Pro Sony Alpha NEX-3 Nikon D610 +1 more
2nd degree
Like?
In reply to Wellington100, Feb 15, 2013

My initial concerns were over reach.  An APS-C would be equivalent to about 500mm though (200x 1.7 TC x crop factor).

2nd degree
Like?
In reply to labe, Feb 15, 2013

Thanks for the info Paul.

Do you think 340mm is enough reach?

labe
labe MOD
Senior MemberPosts: 2,826Gear list
Like?

That depends more on the guides on the reserve and how wet or dry it is.

Heres a E620 shot at 300mm (600mm equiv)

-- hide signature --

new to technology,always learning

labe's gear list:labe's gear list
Fujifilm FinePix IS-1 Fujifilm FinePix HS50 EXR Fujifilm FinePix S5 Pro Sony Alpha NEX-3 Nikon D610 +1 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads