SEL50 lens , something inside loose..?

Started Feb 14, 2013 | Questions
geminihc
Forum MemberPosts: 97
Like?
SEL50 lens , something inside loose..?
Feb 14, 2013

i just got a used SEL50 lens and when i wiggle it, i hear something inside the lens that seems to move around and make some sounds like something is loose. is this normal ?

ANSWER:
This question has not been answered yet.
Brian Caslis
Senior MemberPosts: 2,844Gear list
Like?
Re: SEL50 lens , something inside loose..?
In reply to geminihc, Feb 14, 2013

Which way do you move it? If I shake lightly side to side I don't hear anything but if I shake lightly back and forth (along the axis of the lens) I do hear a small noise. If that is what you are hearing I would say it's normal. I've been using this lens for a few weeks with no problems.

Brian Caslis's gear list:Brian Caslis's gear list
Fujifilm X-T1 Fujifilm XF 35mm F1.4 R Fujifilm XF 60mm F2.4 R Macro Fujifilm XF 14mm F2.8 R Fujifilm XF 18-55mm F2.8-4 R LM OIS +4 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
geminihc
Forum MemberPosts: 97
Like?
In reply to Brian Caslis, Feb 14, 2013

it rattles a little bit when shake it side to side. it rattles louder if i shake it up and down (long side).

fucntion wise, it does seem to be fine although i find it focuses about 0.5 to 1 second slower than the SEL1855 kit lens at the long end (~50mm)

Brian Caslis
Senior MemberPosts: 2,844Gear list
Like?
In reply to geminihc, Feb 14, 2013

The SEL50 does focus slower than the kit lens. Sounds to me like your lens is fine.

Brian Caslis's gear list:Brian Caslis's gear list
Fujifilm X-T1 Fujifilm XF 35mm F1.4 R Fujifilm XF 60mm F2.4 R Macro Fujifilm XF 14mm F2.8 R Fujifilm XF 18-55mm F2.8-4 R LM OIS +4 more
doinksdoinks
New MemberPosts: 18Gear list
Like?
In reply to geminihc, Feb 15, 2013

No rattling for my 50mm. Have your lens checked in the service center

doinksdoinks's gear list:doinksdoinks's gear list
Sony Alpha NEX-6 Sony E 50mm F1.8 OSS Sony E 16-50mm F3.5-5.6 PZ OSS
muncungliar
New MemberPosts: 19Gear list
Like?
In reply to geminihc, Feb 15, 2013

geminihc wrote:

i just got a used SEL50 lens and when i wiggle it, i hear something inside the lens that seems to move around and make some sounds like something is loose. is this normal ?

SEL 50mm is an OSS (optical steady-shot) lens so I believe the sound comes from the OSS component inside the lens. So it is normal

I never tried to wiggle and hear the sound on my 55-210mm lens which have OSS too, but I had a Canon EF-S lens with IS (image stabilization, equal to OSS in Sony) and have the same behaviour when it was wiggled.

Hope this help.

muncungliar's gear list:muncungliar's gear list
Sony Alpha NEX-6 Sony E 55-210mm F4.5-6.3 OSS Sony E 16-50mm F3.5-5.6 PZ OSS +1 more
aap292
Regular MemberPosts: 131
Like?
In reply to muncungliar, Feb 15, 2013

If you live near a Sony store or place that has the 50mm maybe just try to see the lens and see if it has the same noise.

I can hear something tiny moving in mine and the same in the 18-55 but that sound is really quiet.

Kiichiro
Regular MemberPosts: 473Gear list
Like?
In reply to geminihc, Feb 18, 2013

geminihc wrote:

Never noticed this before until last night when shooting late at night. I heard rattling when I was shooting at a certain angle but no rattling when the camera is flat.  After a couple of tests I found out its the rings for the camera strips that was making the rattling sound when it rub against the camera body.

Kiichiro's gear list:Kiichiro's gear list
Sony Alpha 7 Sony FE 55mm F1.8 Sony Cyber-shot DSC-TX20 RX100 III Sony 24-70mm F2.8 ZA SSM Carl Zeiss Vario-Sonnar T* +2 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads