SEL50 lens , something inside loose..?

Started Feb 14, 2013 | Questions
Shop cameras & lenses ▾
geminihc Regular Member • Posts: 111
SEL50 lens , something inside loose..?

i just got a used SEL50 lens and when i wiggle it, i hear something inside the lens that seems to move around and make some sounds like something is loose. is this normal ?

ANSWER:
This question has not been answered yet.
Brian Caslis
Brian Caslis Senior Member • Posts: 2,927
Re: SEL50 lens , something inside loose..?

Which way do you move it? If I shake lightly side to side I don't hear anything but if I shake lightly back and forth (along the axis of the lens) I do hear a small noise. If that is what you are hearing I would say it's normal. I've been using this lens for a few weeks with no problems.

Brian Caslis's gear list:Brian Caslis's gear list
Fujifilm X-Pro2 Fujifilm XF 60mm F2.4 R Macro Fujifilm XF 35mm F2 R WR Epson Stylus Pro 3880
geminihc OP Regular Member • Posts: 111

it rattles a little bit when shake it side to side. it rattles louder if i shake it up and down (long side).

fucntion wise, it does seem to be fine although i find it focuses about 0.5 to 1 second slower than the SEL1855 kit lens at the long end (~50mm)

Brian Caslis
Brian Caslis Senior Member • Posts: 2,927

The SEL50 does focus slower than the kit lens. Sounds to me like your lens is fine.

Brian Caslis's gear list:Brian Caslis's gear list
Fujifilm X-Pro2 Fujifilm XF 60mm F2.4 R Macro Fujifilm XF 35mm F2 R WR Epson Stylus Pro 3880
doinksdoinks New Member • Posts: 18

No rattling for my 50mm. Have your lens checked in the service center

doinksdoinks's gear list:doinksdoinks's gear list
Sony Alpha NEX-6 Sony E 50mm F1.8 OSS Sony E 16-50mm F3.5-5.6 PZ OSS
muncungliar
muncungliar New Member • Posts: 19

geminihc wrote:

i just got a used SEL50 lens and when i wiggle it, i hear something inside the lens that seems to move around and make some sounds like something is loose. is this normal ?

SEL 50mm is an OSS (optical steady-shot) lens so I believe the sound comes from the OSS component inside the lens. So it is normal

I never tried to wiggle and hear the sound on my 55-210mm lens which have OSS too, but I had a Canon EF-S lens with IS (image stabilization, equal to OSS in Sony) and have the same behaviour when it was wiggled.

Hope this help.

muncungliar's gear list:muncungliar's gear list
Sony Alpha NEX-6 Sony E 55-210mm F4.5-6.3 OSS Sony E 16-50mm F3.5-5.6 PZ OSS +1 more
aap292 Regular Member • Posts: 146

If you live near a Sony store or place that has the 50mm maybe just try to see the lens and see if it has the same noise.

I can hear something tiny moving in mine and the same in the 18-55 but that sound is really quiet.

Kiichiro Contributing Member • Posts: 515

geminihc wrote:

Never noticed this before until last night when shooting late at night. I heard rattling when I was shooting at a certain angle but no rattling when the camera is flat.  After a couple of tests I found out its the rings for the camera strips that was making the rattling sound when it rub against the camera body.

Kiichiro's gear list:Kiichiro's gear list
Sony Cyber-shot DSC-TX20 Fujifilm X70 Sony Alpha 7 II Sony 35mm F1.4 G Sony FE 70-200 F4
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads