Contributing MemberPosts: 585Gear list
Like?
From the Olympus Website--A little better translation than DPReview
Feb 14, 2013

http://www.olympus-global.com/en/common/pdf/nr130213e.pdf

News Release

February 13, 2013

Notice Regarding Media Reports about Olympus

Some reporting agencies released reports that Olympus (the “Company”) is considering a drastic reduction of, or withdrawal from digital single-lens reflex cameras, however there is absolutely no truth to those reports.

In addition to strengthening of offering of mirrorless interchangeable-les cameras in the future, the company will continue to offer digital single-lens reflex cameras as in the past without any changes.

End.

GBC
GBC
Contributing MemberPosts: 713
Like?
Re: From the Olympus Website--A little better translation than DPReview
In reply to Craig from Nevada, Feb 14, 2013

It says "continue" not "new".

That obviously means four thirds is dead and there will be no new DSLRs. Read the obvious truth between the lines people.

/Sarcasm

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
highyoyo
Regular MemberPosts: 126
Like?

"...will continue to offer digital single-lens reflex cameras as in the past without any changes."

So I guess the E-5 will be around for quite a while...

Roger Engelken
Senior MemberPosts: 2,720Gear list
Like?

Thank you for sharing, that is certainly a better constructed read.

Roger Engelken's gear list:Roger Engelken's gear list
Olympus TG-830 iHS Olympus E-1 Olympus E-420 Olympus E-30 Olympus E-620 +22 more
John Byrne
Veteran MemberPosts: 6,740
Like?
Re: Doubting Thomas' or Skeptics ---

call it as you will, but being one to always look at the positive I see no difference in the Oly announcement to a car manufacturer stating they wil continue to produce cars with V8 motors.  Who in their right mind could interpret such a statement as meaning they will always come in the same package as previous models or with the same features.

Give us a break.

Cheers,

JB

boggis the cat
Veteran MemberPosts: 6,267Gear list
Like?
DSLR
In reply to John Byrne, Feb 15, 2013

John Byrne wrote:

call it as you will, but being one to always look at the positive I see no difference in the Oly announcement to a car manufacturer stating they wil continue to produce cars with V8 motors. Who in their right mind could interpret such a statement as meaning they will always come in the same package as previous models or with the same features.

Give us a break.

"Digital single lens reflex" is clearly not a mirrorless camera.  Olympus seem to be saying that they will continue to produce updates to at least the E-x line.

Eventually they need to figure out whether to revive standard FT (a lot of drawbacks there) or try to move the "One beautiful system" from aspiration to reality.

(I would guess that they can get PDAF working now, but that it isn't even close to being good enough compared to the dedicated system in DSLRs.  That is the performance issue that will hold back 'merging' the standard FT system with Micro FT.)

boggis the cat's gear list:boggis the cat's gear list
Olympus E-5 Olympus E-M1 Olympus Zuiko Digital ED 12-60mm 1:2.8-4.0 SWD Olympus Zuiko Digital ED 50-200mm 1:2.8-3.5 SWD Olympus 12-40mm F2.8 +10 more
Denjw
Senior MemberPosts: 2,406Gear list
Like?
Re: Doubting Thomas' or Skeptics ---

Agree with this comment.

I interpret " the company will continue to offer digital single-lens reflex cameras as in the past without any changes" to mean they will continue their DSLR business division without change. That is the DSLR division will remain a distinct part of their business.

Others may read it differently but I remain optimistic Olympus will produce an innovative DSLR body within the next 12 months.

Dennis

-- hide signature --
 Denjw's gear list:Denjw's gear list
Olympus E-300 Olympus E-30 Olympus E-5 Olympus E-M1 Olympus Zuiko Digital ED 50mm 1:2.0 Macro +10 more
boggis the cat
Veteran MemberPosts: 6,267Gear list
Like?
Double post /nt

no text

boggis the cat's gear list:boggis the cat's gear list
Olympus E-5 Olympus E-M1 Olympus Zuiko Digital ED 12-60mm 1:2.8-4.0 SWD Olympus Zuiko Digital ED 50-200mm 1:2.8-3.5 SWD Olympus 12-40mm F2.8 +10 more
CharlesB58
Veteran MemberPosts: 6,282
Like?
THIS JUST IN!!!
In reply to Craig from Nevada, Feb 15, 2013

Non-Olympus users, together with a few select Olympus owners, continue to take photos.

Details at 11...

-- hide signature --

Some people operate cameras. Others use them to create images. There is a difference.
http://ikkens.zenfolio.com/
http://sarob-w.deviantart.com/

Darrell500
Senior MemberPosts: 1,930Gear list
Like?
Thanks for the link

It's almost like there are some that were hoping Olympus wouldn't make another DSLR what are they afraid of? I think many sold off there 43 gear thinking they were cutting a fat hog getting out before the death of the system. Now many are shooting Canon or Nikon and finding out that they miss their Olympus glass plus we will soon have a nice sensor to go with all those great lenses. The m43 people seem to fear that Olympus attention to 43 will diminish in some way their ability to support the micro system.

What I think people need to realize is that Olympus went through some tough times with limited resources so of course they concentrated on keeping their lead in m43. If Olympus is able at some point to pull these two systems together it could be very tempting to the dual system shooters.

-- hide signature --

"Don't Be Afraid To See What You See"
Darrell

Darrell500's gear list:Darrell500's gear list
Olympus Stylus 1030 SW Olympus E-500 Olympus E-520 Olympus E-5 Olympus Zuiko Digital ED 50mm 1:2.0 Macro +27 more
Craig from Nevada
Contributing MemberPosts: 585Gear list
Like?
Re: Thanks for the link
In reply to Darrell500, Feb 15, 2013

Darrell500 wrote:

What I think people need to realize is that Olympus went through some tough times with limited resources so of course they concentrated on keeping their lead in m43. If Olympus is able at some point to pull these two systems together it could be very tempting to the dual system shooters.

The tough times are still on at Olympus. The losses at imaging are growing.  This usually brings a shake up.  Point and shoot is history.  The translated statement from Olympus speaks for itself.  I am not sure if anyone knows at Olympus, except the top people, what will happen beyond this. Something is driving the deteriorating numbers.  I doubt if it is DSLR, but it isn't a big profit center either.

Darrell500
Senior MemberPosts: 1,930Gear list
Like?

I agree with what you said but will add that things are pretty rough right now for most Japanese electronics manufacturers. I guess I could reasonably say things are pretty depressed worldwide for the matter so Olympus isn't alone in this regard.

-- hide signature --

Darrell

Darrell500's gear list:Darrell500's gear list
Olympus Stylus 1030 SW Olympus E-500 Olympus E-520 Olympus E-5 Olympus Zuiko Digital ED 50mm 1:2.0 Macro +27 more
CharlesB58
Veteran MemberPosts: 6,282
Like?
In reply to Darrell500, Feb 15, 2013

Darrell500 wrote:

It's almost like there are some that were hoping Olympus wouldn't make another DSLR what are they afraid of? I think many sold off there 43 gear thinking they were cutting a fat hog getting out before the death of the system. Now many are shooting Canon or Nikon and finding out that they miss their Olympus glass plus we will soon have a nice sensor to go with all those great lenses. The m43 people seem to fear that Olympus attention to 43 will diminish in some way their ability to support the micro system.

-- hide signature --

Darrell

Darrell, for some I don't even think the issue is really the performance of the gear. It's simply that some people have a vicarious attachment to what the gear symbolizes. Olympus gear supposedly conveys a message of "I'm not joining the CaNikon pack. I choose a more original path. My glass is better than yours. I stand out in the crowd of people using CaNikon".

With this mentality, the actual performance of the gear is likely less important than the nameplate on the camera.

-- hide signature --

Some people operate cameras. Others use them to create images. There is a difference.
http://ikkens.zenfolio.com/
http://sarob-w.deviantart.com/

John King
Forum ProPosts: 12,788Gear list
Like?
Re: DSLR
In reply to boggis the cat, Feb 15, 2013

Gidday Cat & JB

boggis the cat wrote:

John Byrne wrote:

call it as you will, but being one to always look at the positive I see no difference in the Oly announcement to a car manufacturer stating they wil continue to produce cars with V8 motors. Who in their right mind could interpret such a statement as meaning they will always come in the same package as previous models or with the same features.

Give us a break.

"Digital single lens reflex" is clearly not a mirrorless camera. Olympus seem to be saying that they will continue to produce updates to at least the E-x line.

My reading of Mr Terada's statement is that Olympus is going to continue with both entry level and high end dSLRs (at the very least). That much is very clear. As I have said elsewhere, the "middle camera" - E-30 replacement - is the easiest and cheapest to make, and therefore the biggest money spinner. Almost all parts can be selected from the parts bins of the entry level and high end camera (as was the E-30 ...  ).

They already have a good body (the current E-30 ... ); they have the OVF (current one is excellent, IMHO); all they really need is the new sensor, or an improved version of it, and the supporting electronics and f/w. All of this latter stuff has to be developed for the entry level camera and high end camera anyway.

Eventually they need to figure out whether to revive standard FT (a lot of drawbacks there) or try to move the "One beautiful system" from aspiration to reality.

Not really. Just overcome the faults that arose out of their flawed contract with Panasonic that appears to have locked Olympus into using whatever discarded sensors Panasonic would let them use. The old Olympus board, or most of them, have gone.

Many companies have this kind of downturn in their fortunes and survive to prosper again. One should not forget that Olympus basically owns the medical operating endoscope market, and has a huge share of other medical imaging markets.

(I would guess that they can get PDAF working now, but that it isn't even close to being good enough compared to the dedicated system in DSLRs. That is the performance issue that will hold back 'merging' the standard FT system with Micro FT.)

My view as well. I suspect that the new management at Olympus has concluded that the combined difficulties of getting the HG/SHG lenses to work well on such patently ridiculous bodies (for such large lenses); and the problems that the µFT cameras have with focusing even CDAF enabled FT lenses, is much more difficult than they thought when the board was comprised of a bunch of crooks.

The old board seemed more interested in their own welfare, than in the welfare of the company that they were legally and ethically charged to run for the company's benefit.

Effectively, if Olympus were to make the "same" camera in three different forms (entry; semi-pro and pro), with slight differences that go to the cost structure, they would be on the money. Much the same as the "current" E-620, E-30 and E-5 are at present. Each format offers its own benefits to its users. The E-620 was patently a cheaper camera to make than the E-30 (penta-mirror, consumer grade shutter, simpler AF system, smaller/cheaper battery). My brother owns one. It's a great camera for what it is.

The E-30 seems to be a better camera than the E-3 in almost every way, including responsiveness and AF. Just not weather/dust sealed. Mine has now become an extension of my right arm, same as my E-510 was. The E-510 now feels slightly strange when I snaffle it from the CEOoDO ...

The E-5 appears to be a good box, even allowing for the fact that Olympus was hobbled for a decent sensor for it. Even so, they performed optical magic with the AA filter, and their expertise with the other sensor components is obviously alive and kicking (CFA, anti-dust). These experiences will stand them in good stead.

As Mr Terada said "They can be confident about image quality, he says: They already know image quality from the OM-D. Four Thirds and Micro Four Thirds sensors are the same size, so they can imagine that. "

AND Sony have been making terrific sensors for video cameras for longer than many on this forum have been alive!

Just a few thoughts, FWIW.

-- hide signature --

Regards, john from Melbourne, Australia.
(see profile for current gear)
Please do not embed images from my web site without prior permission
I consider this to be a breach of my copyright.
-- -- --
The Camera doth not make the Man (nor Woman) ...
Perhaps being kind to cats, dogs & children does ...
I am a Photography Aficionado ... and ...
"I don't have any problems with John. He is a crotchety old Aussie. He will smack you if you behave like a {deleted}. Goes with the territory." boggis the cat
Gallery: http://canopuscomputing.com.au/gallery2/v/main-page/

Bird Control Officers on active service.

John King's gear list:John King's gear list
Olympus E-1 Olympus E-510 Olympus E-30
unknown member
(unknown member)
Like?
And Still...

...the haters will keep on hating. I swear, Olympus Corp. could release an explicit statement such as "By the end of 2013, we will unveil the E-7 DSLR"

and there would be people saying... "they mean some kind of mirrorless camera... or an adapter that will convert a m4/3 into a 'DLSR'... and 'E-7' is just a name they're going to use to help ease the transition..."

-- hide signature --

Dr. Lecter

DonParrot
Senior MemberPosts: 1,564Gear list
Like?
In reply to John King, Feb 15, 2013

John King wrote:

My reading of Mr Terada's statement is that Olympus is going to continue with both entry level and high end dSLRs (at the very least). That much is very clear. As I have said elsewhere, the "middle camera" - E-30 replacement - is the easiest and cheapest to make, and therefore the biggest money spinner. Almost all parts can be selected from the parts bins of the entry level and high end camera (as was the E-30 ... ).

They already have a good body (the current E-30 ... ); they have the OVF (current one is excellent, IMHO); all they really need is the new sensor, or an improved version of it, and the supporting electronics and f/w. All of this latter stuff has to be developed for the entry level camera and high end camera anyway.

I have to slightly disagree here, John. The most important change they need if they want continue building and SELLING DSLRs is a clearly improved C-AF. I can live with the C-AF of my E-30 - and the same applied to my E-5 - as I learned how to use it and so, I'm rather happy with my keeper rate. Nonetheless, the C-AF is clearly inferior to the offerings of CaNikon. And if they want to be/become successful in this hard-fought market, they have to be - at least - on a par in this area that is the only one where DSLRs still excel the MILCs.
And I have my doubts if Olympus were/are ready to make the massive investmenmts that would be necessary to achieve this goal. Including the design of new SWD versions of lenses such as the 150, 14-35 and 35-100 2.0.
I would love to see these cameras and lenses but I don't believe it will happen. Particularly as I'm of the opinion that the DSLR is a dying breed.

Not really. Just overcome the faults that arose out of their flawed contract with Panasonic that appears to have locked Olympus into using whatever discarded sensors Panasonic would let them use. The old Olympus board, or most of them, have gone.

True - FT was heavily hampered by the 'noisy' sensors Oly was provided with by Kodak and Panny. And if the Sony sensor had been available in time for the E-5 (and an assumed E-650 or E-50) this might have been the perfect tool for taking FT to another marketshare level. But now, two and a half years later? I don't know.
Yes, our FT lenses are - to a large extent - the best lenses available on the market but how many people using the systems of other manufacturers will make the move to FT in consideration of the fact that Oly/Terada announced in 2010 that they regard the DSLR era as more or less over and will stop making DSLRs as soon as they will be able to design a mirrorless camera that is able to make full use of the FT lenses.

And don't forget that there was this other announcement some weeks ago that made many of us believe that the OBS will be launched this year.

My view as well. I suspect that the new management at Olympus has concluded that the combined difficulties of getting the HG/SHG lenses to work well on such patently ridiculous bodies (for such large lenses); and the problems that the µFT cameras have with focusing even CDAF enabled FT lenses, is much more difficult than they thought when the board was comprised of a bunch of crooks.

Nobody ever said the an mFT camera must be small. But a bigger mFT camera would offer room for more of the amzing innovations we have seen from Oly in the past. I believe they are going to surprise us once again - as they did last year with the five-axis IBIS.

Effectively, if Olympus were to make the "same" camera in three different forms (entry; semi-pro and pro), with slight differences that go to the cost structure, they would be on the money. Much the same as the "current" E-620, E-30 and E-5 are at present. Each format offers its own benefits to its users. The E-620 was patently a cheaper camera to make than the E-30 (penta-mirror, consumer grade shutter, simpler AF system, smaller/cheaper battery). My brother owns one. It's a great camera for what it is.

It was a great camera for what it was. But it was sold for a - then - ridiculously low price that made Oly lose money. Now, the competition also are selling their entry-level and medium-class cameras at ridiculously low prices to be able to sell them at all - do you think it would be a clever move of Olympus to re-enter this arena in consideration of the fact that they can sell their ,FT offerings for far more money? I fear that would be economical suicide.

-- hide signature --

I wish I was an OLYgarch

DonParrot's gear list:DonParrot's gear list
Olympus E-30 Olympus OM-D E-M5 Olympus E-M1 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 17mm 1:2.8 Pancake Olympus Zuiko Digital ED 12-60mm 1:2.8-4.0 SWD +7 more
John King
Like?
In reply to DonParrot, Feb 15, 2013

Gidday Don

DonParrot wrote:

John King wrote:

My reading of Mr Terada's statement is that Olympus is going to continue with both entry level and high end dSLRs (at the very least). That much is very clear. As I have said elsewhere, the "middle camera" - E-30 replacement - is the easiest and cheapest to make, and therefore the biggest money spinner. Almost all parts can be selected from the parts bins of the entry level and high end camera (as was the E-30 ... ).

They already have a good body (the current E-30 ... ); they have the OVF (current one is excellent, IMHO); all they really need is the new sensor, or an improved version of it, and the supporting electronics and f/w. All of this latter stuff has to be developed for the entry level camera and high end camera anyway.

I have to slightly disagree here, John. The most important change they need if they want continue building and SELLING DSLRs is a clearly improved C-AF. I can live with the C-AF of my E-30 - and the same applied to my E-5 - as I learned how to use it and so, I'm rather happy with my keeper rate. Nonetheless, the C-AF is clearly inferior to the offerings of CaNikon. And if they want to be/become successful in this hard-fought market, they have to be - at least - on a par in this area that is the only one where DSLRs still excel the MILCs.
And I have my doubts if Olympus were/are ready to make the massive investmenmts that would be necessary to achieve this goal. Including the design of new SWD versions of lenses such as the 150, 14-35 and 35-100 2.0.
I would love to see these cameras and lenses but I don't believe it will happen. Particularly as I'm of the opinion that the DSLR is a dying breed.

Non-SWD versions of a whole lot of lenses DO actually focus, Don ...

Even the SG lenses are very much faster on my E-30 than on (say) my E-510. Accuracy is also a key requirement ... Of course there is always room for improvement - otherwise we would all still be driving A model Fords, or worse ...

True - FT was heavily hampered by the 'noisy' sensors Oly was provided with by Kodak and Panny. And if the Sony sensor had been available in time for the E-5 (and an assumed E-650 or E-50) this might have been the perfect tool for taking FT to another marketshare level. But now, two and a half years later? I don't know.
Yes, our FT lenses are - to a large extent - the best lenses available on the market but how many people using the systems of other manufacturers will make the move to FT in consideration of the fact that Oly/Terada announced in 2010 that they regard the DSLR era as more or less over and will stop making DSLRs as soon as they will be able to design a mirrorless camera that is able to make full use of the FT lenses.

And don't forget that there was this other announcement some weeks ago that made many of us believe that the OBS will be launched this year.

My view as well. I suspect that the new management at Olympus has concluded that the combined difficulties of getting the HG/SHG lenses to work well on such patently ridiculous bodies (for such large lenses); and the problems that the µFT cameras have with focusing even CDAF enabled FT lenses, is much more difficult than they thought when the board was comprised of a bunch of crooks.

Nobody ever said the an mFT camera must be small. But a bigger mFT camera would offer room for more of the amzing innovations we have seen from Oly in the past. I believe they are going to surprise us once again - as they did last year with the five-axis IBIS.

It was a great camera for what it was.

It still IS a great little camera, Don.
So is my E-510.

So are whole lots of cameras of all makes and models that are not made anymore. If they are capable of taking an image at all (i.e. not broken ... ).

How quickly some forget how far even the most basic digital camera has come. Most people only ever had cameras that were at best basic, at worst flaming lousy.
Today, the average 5 MPx phone camera with a lens the size of the head of a pin (my Blackberry 9810 ... ) and a sensor to match will produce stunningly detailed images that those basic 35 mm film cameras didn't have a dog's show of matching ...
Are they the "ant's pants" of photographic excellence? Well, no, they are not. BUT almost every person has one, and they will give any cheap 35 mm (etc) film camera a heckuva bashing for IQ.

It really depends on whether one wants to see the glass as almost empty; or as almost full to the brim ...
I am the latter kind of person, I guess.

-- hide signature --

-- -- --
"I don't have any problems with John. He is a crotchety old Aussie. He will smack you if you behave like a {deleted}. Goes with the territory." boggis the cat

CollBaxter
Forum ProPosts: 12,390Gear list
Like?
Re: THIS JUST IN!!!
In reply to CharlesB58, Feb 15, 2013

-- hide signature --

Collin
(Aficionado Olympus DSLR )
http://collinbaxter.zenfolio.com/
http://www.pbase.com/collinbaxter
Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by the moments that take our breath away. (George Carlin)
New Seventh Wonder of the World.
http://www.pbase.com/collinbaxter/image/95297052.jpg

CollBaxter's gear list:CollBaxter's gear list
Canon PowerShot SX230 HS Olympus E-500 Olympus E-30 Olympus E-620 Olympus E-5 +15 more
DonParrot
Senior MemberPosts: 1,564Gear list
Like?
In reply to John King, Feb 15, 2013

You are absolutely rioght, john.

John King wrote:

Gidday Don

DonParrot wrote:

John King wrote:

Non-SWD versions of a whole lot of lenses DO actually focus, Don ...

Even the SG lenses are very much faster on my E-30 than on (say) my E-510. Accuracy is also a key requirement ... Of course there is always room for improvement - otherwise we would all still be driving A model Fords, or worse ...

You are absolutely right John. But if you want to sell new products, they have to be better than the ones offered by the competition.

It was a great camera for what it was.

The same as above. We are talking about new cameras, don't we? And they have to C-AF at least as good as the ones provided by the competition if FT is supposed to gain a bigger marketshare. This means new cameras and new lenses. This has nothing to do with a glass being hald empty or half full or with the fact that we are happy with our current FT products. FT will only survive - if at all - if the new products attract new users. Something I regards as virtually impossible if they are outclassed in the only area where DSLRs still enjoy an advantage over MILCs.

-- hide signature --

I wish I was an OLYgarch

DonParrot's gear list:DonParrot's gear list
Olympus E-30 Olympus OM-D E-M5 Olympus E-M1 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 17mm 1:2.8 Pancake Olympus Zuiko Digital ED 12-60mm 1:2.8-4.0 SWD +7 more
John King
Like?
In reply to DonParrot, Feb 15, 2013

Gidday Don

You appear to be having a problem where none exists ...

Of course I want the new cameras to be the very best that can be made.

To suggest otherwise is like suggesting that I want Olympus to make a direct replacement for my E-510. BTW, I don't ... Much as I like my E-510, things have moved on.

I also want accurate AF, not blindingly fast but inaccurate, as some have said after changing to other brands for this very reason.

Equally, I do not want Olympus to pursue cameras with terrific "headline" figures and specs at the cost of the balance that I expect from Olympus. That is to say, whatever is produced should still do everything well, not just some things well.

-- hide signature --

-- -- --

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads