Portrait and auto ISO to 1600 test on D5100

Started Feb 14, 2013 | Discussions
Pedro Freitas
Junior MemberPosts: 34Gear list
Like?
Portrait and auto ISO to 1600 test on D5100
Feb 14, 2013

I tought the noise at ISO until 1600 was good enough for good quality photos but this one has lot's of noise, i'm expecting to much from DX format?

Nikon D5100-Kit lens 18-55 VR

Portrait essay at auto ISO 100-1600

-- hide signature --

Photography is just a form of expression!

Pedro Freitas's gear list:Pedro Freitas's gear list
Nikon D5100
nfpotter
Senior MemberPosts: 4,072
Like?
Re: Portrait and auto ISO to 1600 test on D5100
In reply to Pedro Freitas, Feb 14, 2013

Pedro Freitas wrote:

I tought the noise at ISO until 1600 was good enough for good quality photos but this one has lot's of noise, i'm expecting to much from DX format?

-- hide signature --

Um, what noise?  Looks great to me.

PS - you missed focus on the closer eye.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
intensity studios
Contributing MemberPosts: 668Gear list
Like?
agreed
In reply to nfpotter, Feb 14, 2013

noise level looks totally acceptable to me. if you view an image at 100%, you are always going to see slight noise levels. But no one is going to see this when viewing your photos on the web.

The main ways you will get bad noise is if you underexpose and then try to brighten it in post. That will make the noise pop out.

-- hide signature --
 intensity studios's gear list:intensity studios's gear list
Nikon D3200 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6G VR Nikon AF-S Nikkor 50mm f/1.8G Canon Pixma Pro9000 Mark II Adobe Photoshop CS6 +4 more
pavi1
Veteran MemberPosts: 5,109Gear list
Like?
In reply to Pedro Freitas, Feb 15, 2013

Did you by any chance under expose and push in post?

It is better to expose bright and then reduce in post, the opposite will always induce noise that then must be dealt with.

-- hide signature --

Everything happens for a reason. #1 reason: poor planning
WSSA #44

Pedro Freitas
Like?
In reply to pavi1, Feb 15, 2013

You are right. Because i didn't want to use the flash (internal flash is harsh) and the lens kit do not permit to shot below F5.0 the show went underexposed, i corrected things in LR4 but i guess is not the best thing to do in noise department.

Thanks for the tip.

-- hide signature --

Nikon D5100
pavi1
Like?

Pedro Freitas wrote:

You are right. Because i didn't want to use the flash (internal flash is harsh) and the lens kit do not permit to shot below F5.0 the show went underexposed, i corrected things in LR4 but i guess is not the best thing to do in noise department.

Thanks for the tip.

-- hide signature --

Sometimes it is just not possible to expose to the right and I just have to live with it. Anytime possible, high ISO, I expose a little brighter that I want to final to be and then reduce. I get much less noise that way. With the D5100 you would probably be better to use 3200, expose bright and then reduce in post.

-- hide signature --

WSSA #44

Reilly Diefenbach
Senior MemberPosts: 8,271Gear list
Like?

Nice one, Pedro.  The noise level is normal.  If you had exposed higher, it would have burned highlights worse, so I think you did well.  Denoising the background strongly and the face very lightly, you can get a smooth result with no problem.  Bring out the eyes a bit if you like. You can never go wrong smoothing the skin of a woman of any age :^)

Denoise

toomanycanons
Veteran MemberPosts: 9,606
Like?

Pedro Freitas wrote:

-- hide signature --

I don't see any noise in this image.

davidib17
Regular MemberPosts: 362Gear list
Like?

There is absolutely no noise there.

davidib17's gear list:davidib17's gear list
Nikon D7100 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 35mm f/1.8G Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 55-300mm f/4.5-5.6G ED VR Sigma 17-50mm F2.8 EX DC OS HSM Sigma 150-500mm F5-6.3 DG OS HSM +2 more
Lightpath48
Senior MemberPosts: 2,226Gear list
Like?
In reply to davidib17, Feb 15, 2013

These are fine results. No worries.

Lightpath48's gear list:Lightpath48's gear list
Nikon Coolpix L610 Nikon D3300 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 55-200mm f/4-5.6G VR Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 35mm f/1.8G Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6G VR II
Reilly Diefenbach
Like?

There is actually a fair amount of noise.  Click on the original and have a look.  ISO 1400 is pushing it for portraits on DX or FX if you ask me.

Noise

davidib17
Regular MemberPosts: 362Gear list
Like?
In reply to Reilly Diefenbach, Feb 15, 2013

Haha, come on man, of course if you zoom in to astronomical levels you're gonna find some imperfections...overall it's a fine photo. Who tries to zoom all the way in on a photo of a little girl to find out if there's any ISO noise anyway?

davidib17's gear list:davidib17's gear list
Nikon D7100 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 35mm f/1.8G Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 55-300mm f/4.5-5.6G ED VR Sigma 17-50mm F2.8 EX DC OS HSM Sigma 150-500mm F5-6.3 DG OS HSM +2 more
PenFan2011
Regular MemberPosts: 172
Like?

This is what I call a usable photo.  Sure there is noise, but you have to go 100% zoom to see it. Most people rarely print anything bigger than an 8x10, so unless this picture is turning into a poster sized print, it is usable for just about anything else, IMHO.  And I am assuming this is OOC, so if you were really concerned there are noise reducers out there.

A pro photographer once said during a seminar I was at, you can keep your ISO at 100 all the time and get nice shots only in adequate light and get low/no noise (and miss any shots that are approaching dark), or you can do what you have to to get the shot, even if you have to put that ISO up to 6400.  You can get a noisy, picture or none at all.  This case is not as extreme as what he was talking about, but I think you made the right choice on ISO so you would not need a flash.

-- hide signature --

I am far too busy taking pictures to look for problems with the cameras I use to take them.

Reilly Diefenbach
Like?

Apparently you are not bothered by noise, but the OP is, otherwise he wouldn't have posted.  ISO 1400 for portraiture is a bridge too far unaided, as any book on the subject would tell you.  As well, that noise would be quite visible in print or on a large panel TV, a more likely delivery system these days.

sshoihet
Senior MemberPosts: 2,363Gear list
Like?
In reply to pavi1, Feb 15, 2013

pavi1 wrote:

It is better to expose bright and then reduce in post, the opposite will always induce noise that then must be dealt with.

-- hide signature --

WSSA #44

That is only true at base ISO.  That sensor is basically isoless, you don't lose anything by underexposing and pushing in post and that is a better method if you have highlights you need to protect. This assumes that you are shooting raw.

sshoihet's gear list:sshoihet's gear list
Canon PowerShot S95 Nikon D7000 Canon EOS M Nikon D600 Nikon D7100 +14 more
HongKongExpat
Junior MemberPosts: 27Gear list
Like?
In reply to PenFan2011, Feb 15, 2013

There is obviously noise there at 100% but there would be with this format and that iso...but if you're noticing that the photo has a less than crystal sharp look to it it could well be due to the 1/60th it was shot at - assuming it was handheld.  However a great result which suits the subject very well.

HongKongExpat's gear list:HongKongExpat's gear list
Nikon D7000 +2 more
Pedro Freitas
Like?

I should have said that i corrected noise in LR4 and smoothed a bit her face (because of noise), and corrected exposure (to the right), the rest is OOC settings.

Thanks for the feedback, i really appreciate that.

-- hide signature --

Nikon D5100
Sammy Yousef
Veteran MemberPosts: 4,416Gear list
Like?

I'd be fixing the blown highlights (by covering the holes in the blinds while shooting) before working about the noise. Whatever you did to smooth the face, see if you can apply the same technique to the rest of the subject's body. Having a smooth face and then noisy detailed arms including every crease and blemish isn't the best idea. The post processing isn't subtle and doesn't blend as well as it could but it's by no means the worst I've seen (or done myself).

But all of the above is nitpicking. Continually trying to improve is admirable, but don't forget to give yourself a pat on the back once in a while. It's a nice shot despite it's imperfections...and you know what I can nit pick even prize winning photos!

-- hide signature --

Sammy.
My forum postings reflect my own opinions and not those of my employer. I'm not employed in the photo business.

lnguyenh
Contributing MemberPosts: 685
Like?

Neil van niekerk, who is a bit known when it comes to off camera lighting made a joke in one of his B&H presentation saying that noone sees noise except people on dpreview

pavi1
Like?
In reply to sshoihet, Feb 15, 2013

sshoihet wrote:

pavi1 wrote:

-- hide signature --

WSSA #44

That is only true at base ISO. That sensor is basically isoless, you don't lose anything by underexposing and pushing in post and that is a better method if you have highlights you need to protect. This assumes that you are shooting raw.

As long as you are ok with the grain induced when you push it.

-- hide signature --

WSSA #44

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads