Yongnuo YN-560 III has built in receiver

Started Feb 14, 2013 | Discussions
victorian squid
Senior MemberPosts: 1,970Gear list
Like?
Yongnuo YN-560 III has built in receiver
Feb 14, 2013

A little faster than I thought , but I think everybody's going to jump on this. I would assume future models will be TTL compatible (622), but for now there's an awful lot of 602-603 receivers out there.

Question - does this change anything for anybody if you were in the market for a new flash? Assuming of course you're invested in the 602-603's, or if you don't have anything yet.

There's a lot of interesting new technology starting to pop up out there. But, some of it looks like it requires investing in a given system.

victorian squid's gear list:victorian squid's gear list
Canon EOS 60D Canon EOS 6D Canon EF 17-40mm f/4.0L USM Canon EF 100mm f/2.8L Macro IS USM Sigma 10-20mm F4-5.6 EX DC HSM +27 more
ktownbill
Senior MemberPosts: 1,978
Like?
Re: Yongnuo YN-560 III has built in receiver
In reply to victorian squid, Feb 14, 2013

victorian squid wrote:

A little faster than I thought , but I think everybody's going to jump on this. I would assume future models will be TTL compatible (622), but for now there's an awful lot of 602-603 receivers out there.

Question - does this change anything for anybody if you were in the market for a new flash? Assuming of course you're invested in the 602-603's, or if you don't have anything yet.

There's a lot of interesting new technology starting to pop up out there. But, some of it looks like it requires investing in a given system.

http://www.yongnuostore.com/product/yongnuo-yn560iii-yn-560-iii-ultra-long-range-wireless-flash-speedlite_canon/

I linked some more info.  The 560iii's are only $84 plus you don't need a receiver since it is built-in.  A real game-changer for sure. There is some info on backwards compatibility with the 602/603 receivers in the link.

I'm passing on these for the moment though because I want hss. I think these have a lower gn than the yn568 too.

Bill

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
ihgold2
Forum MemberPosts: 68
Like?
In reply to ktownbill, Feb 15, 2013

So, why are these guys like 85 USD, compared to ~500 USD for a 580EX II?

Ok, no HSS.  But do they work more or less the same?  I guess they can't be a Master either, correct?  But, do they work using E-TTL, just like a Canon would?  Can they be controlled from the camera (60D in my case) the way the EX IIs can?  Or only from the flash itself?

With the built-in receiver, would I just need to buy an RF-602 or 3 (or is there something else because I no longer need the receiver portion?) to trigger it remotely?

What else is there to consider when looking at the 6x price difference?  Even if build quality is not as good, you could buy and replace the YN a couple times and still come out ahead.

Sailor Blue
Senior MemberPosts: 6,390Gear list
Like?
In reply to ihgold2, Feb 15, 2013

ihgold2 wrote:

Ok, no HSS. But do they work more or less the same? I guess they can't be a Master either, correct? But, do they work using E-TTL, just like a Canon would?.

The YN-560 is a manual flash power control only hot-shoe flash. No TTL of any kind.

victorian squid and ktownbill, thanks for the info.

-- hide signature --

Living and loving it in Bangkok, Thailand. Canon 7D - See the gear list for the rest.

Sailor Blue's gear list:Sailor Blue's gear list
Canon EOS 7D +10 more
victorian squid
Senior MemberPosts: 1,970Gear list
Like?
In reply to Sailor Blue, Feb 15, 2013

Sailor Blue wrote:

ihgold2 wrote:

Ok, no HSS. But do they work more or less the same? I guess they can't be a Master either, correct? But, do they work using E-TTL, just like a Canon would?.

The YN-560 is a manual flash power control only hot-shoe flash. No TTL of any kind.

Thus, only working with the 602 and 603. You just know though that they've got a 565 or 568 version to work with the 622's in the works! For the price though - and those who prefer to work manually this is pretty neat. You could have a fleet of flashes and a trigger or two for the price of one 600ex-rt.

-- hide signature --

Living and loving it in Bangkok, Thailand. Canon 7D - See the gear list for the rest.

victorian squid's gear list:victorian squid's gear list
Canon EOS 60D Canon EOS 6D Canon EF 17-40mm f/4.0L USM Canon EF 100mm f/2.8L Macro IS USM Sigma 10-20mm F4-5.6 EX DC HSM +27 more
Starshot
Contributing MemberPosts: 764
Like?
In reply to victorian squid, Feb 15, 2013

victorian squid wrote:

Sailor Blue wrote:

ihgold2 wrote:

Thus, only working with the 602 and 603. You just know though that they've got a 565 or 568 version to work with the 622's in the works! For the price though - and those who prefer to work manually this is pretty neat. You could have a fleet of flashes and a trigger or two for the price of one 600ex-rt.

-- hide signature --

If they have one that comes out for my 622s I'll buy it!

jamesdo
New MemberPosts: 8
Like?
In reply to ktownbill, Jul 21, 2013

ktownbill wrote:

I linked some more info. The 560iii's are only $84 plus you don't need a receiver since it is built-in. A real game-changer for sure. There is some info on backwards compatibility with the 602/603 receivers in the link.

I'm passing on these for the moment though because I want hss. I think these have a lower gn than the yn568 too.

Bill

YN560-III can do HSS for sure

how to do high speed sync with YN560-III

daviddavis71
Regular MemberPosts: 289Gear list
Like?
In reply to victorian squid, 8 months ago

It says it has built in RF, but I bought the yn560III and the RF603N, but can not get the flash to fire unless it is on the hot shoe of the camera or mounted on top of one of the RF603's.

I thought you were supposed to be able to fire the flash without having to mount it on a 603.  The flash recognizes a button press because the blue light flashes, but the flash doesnt fire.

Is it me?  Am I doing something wrong or am I misunderstanding how this should work.

daviddavis71's gear list:daviddavis71's gear list
Nikon D5200 Nikon D610 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 35mm f/1.8G Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-300mm f/4.5-5.6G VR Tamron SP 24-70mm F/2.8 Di VC USD +1 more
fotowbert
Senior MemberPosts: 1,177Gear list
Like?
YN560III works for me
In reply to daviddavis71, 8 months ago

daviddavis71 wrote:

It says it has built in RF, but I bought the yn560III and the RF603N, but can not get the flash to fire unless it is on the hot shoe of the camera or mounted on top of one of the RF603's.

I thought you were supposed to be able to fire the flash without having to mount it on a 603. The flash recognizes a button press because the blue light flashes, but the flash doesnt fire.

Is it me? Am I doing something wrong or am I misunderstanding how this should work.

daviddavis71,

My recently purchased yn560III built-in rf receiver works as advertised. With rf603NII trigger in hot shoe and yn560III set to built in rf trigger mode I get constant blue indicator light on flash while camera meter is live and flash fires upon shutter press. Blue light goes out when camera meter times out.

When triggering the flash with the rf603NII hand held I get blue indicator light on yn560III upon half-press of the trigger button and it fires upon full-press. The rf603NII trigger is set to "TX" mode to force it into transmit mode since it is not in hot shoe.

The original rf603N trigger does not have the "OFF TX TRX" switch so must sense it is in a live Nikon hot shoe before it will operate as transmitter. Perhaps that is your problem.

Also check the setup menu for it being set to operate as rf603 compatible and not rf602.

• John
 fotowbert's gear list:fotowbert's gear list
Canon PowerShot A20 Canon PowerShot SD870 IS Fujifilm FinePix F31fd Panasonic Lumix DMC-LZ8 Canon PowerShot S95 +15 more
rockjano
Senior MemberPosts: 2,359Gear list
Like?
In reply to victorian squid, 8 months ago

I just ordered two YN560III for $46,55 each

The best bang for the buck for sure.

I like TTL and remote TTL control I use my D300 SB600-SB800 combo for that but in studio environment the manual is the only viable solution…

I hope they will work well with my RF602 set.

rockjano

victorian squid wrote:

daviddavis71
Like?
Re: YN560III works for me
In reply to fotowbert, 8 months ago

Thank you for answering.  I have the rf603.  Maybe that is the issue.  Or maybe I need to get deeper into the menus of the flash to see if I can trigger flash.

Thinking about it, I did not try to trigger the flash by having the 603 on the hotshoe and flash set to RF on.  I will have to try that tonight.  Didnt even think of that, I was trying to trigger the flash with a 603 by pressing the button.

David

Nikon D5200 Nikon D610 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 35mm f/1.8G Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-300mm f/4.5-5.6G VR Tamron SP 24-70mm F/2.8 Di VC USD +1 more
daviddavis71
Like?
In reply to rockjano, 8 months ago

Whoa, where did you get them for $47.00?  Is that US $$?  I just got mine for $74 on Amazon.  I only got one because I already have the 560II.

David

daviddavis71
Like?

Nope.  Did not work.  I will order the new 603.  They are only $35 a pair.  Hopefully they will trigger the old ones and now I have 4 units.

David

rockjano
Senior MemberPosts: 2,359Gear list
Like?

Hi

Yes the usual price is around $72 with free shipping on E-Bay.

I don't know why it was that cheap but I paid just that and I also bought one on the next day.

Sure I did not get them yet (there is one more week) so it might be fake as well, I hope not, I also got tracking number

Here is the link: http://www.ebay.com/itm/121267727614?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1497.l2649

52 AU dollar that is about 46.55 US dollar

I hope it is not a scam

Thanks

jano

daviddavis71 wrote:

Whoa, where did you get them for $47.00? Is that US $$? I just got mine for $74 on Amazon. I only got one because I already have the 560II.

David

fotowbert
Like?

daviddavis71 wrote:

Thank you for answering. I have the rf603. Maybe that is the issue. Or maybe I need to get deeper into the menus of the flash to see if I can trigger flash.

Thinking about it, I did not try to trigger the flash by having the 603 on the hotshoe and flash set to RF on. I will have to try that tonight. Didnt even think of that, I was trying to trigger the flash with a 603 by pressing the button.

David

The original rf603 only goes into transmitter mode when it senses it is in a Nikon hot-shoe.  (There is a DIY mod to make it a transmitter by tricking it into thinking it is in the hot-shoe if you are so inclined) The new rf603 mark II models have a switch to do this.

Pressing the button on an off-camera rf603 is intended to be used for activating the shutter of the camera via a hot-shoe mounted rf603 with its shutter cord plugged into the camera's wired release port.

Also the yn560III must be in rf mode to operate with its built-in rf receiver.  Pressing the mode button on the yn560III cycles it thru 4 modes, normal (hot-shoe operation), S1 optical, S2 optical/digital delay, and rf internal receiver.  The icon in the lcd panel for the rf mode is somewhat obscure when it displays at the far right in the top row.

A needless complication IMO with the yn560III is it remembers a unique power level for each of its 4 operating modes.   It should be a global setting like the zoom head position.

You got to pay attention to the details to make this stuff work! 

• John
Canon PowerShot A20 Canon PowerShot SD870 IS Fujifilm FinePix F31fd Panasonic Lumix DMC-LZ8 Canon PowerShot S95 +15 more
daviddavis71
Like?
In reply to fotowbert, 8 months ago

When I put the 603 on the hot shoe and the 560-III on another 603, it works.

When I put the 603 on the hot shoe and the 560-III in RF mode, it does not flash. In this mode, when I push half down on the shutter release to focus, the blue light on the flash comes on, as does the flashing red light on the front of the flash, but flash does not fire with shutter release pressed all the way down.

fotowbert
Like?
YN560III likely defective
In reply to daviddavis71, 7 months ago

The YN560III is likely defective.

daviddavis71 wrote:

When I put the 603 on the hot shoe and the 560-III on another 603, it works.

This indicates your rf603 on camera is transmitting OK.

When I put the 603 on the hot shoe and the 560-III in RF mode, it does not flash. In this mode, when I push half down on the shutter release to focus, the blue light on the flash comes on, as does the flashing red light on the front of the flash, but flash does not fire with shutter release pressed all the way down.

Based upon your posts my best guess is your yn560III has some defect in its rf circuit. If you had access to some other transmitters and yn560III units you could probably confirm this. Looks like you should return the yn560III as defective.

• John
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads