New MX 1 first images

Started Feb 14, 2013 | Discussions
tshapiro
Regular MemberPosts: 228Gear list
Like?
New MX 1 first images
Feb 14, 2013

I purchased a new silver MX-1.  It arrived yesterday.  I went for a walk and took some pictures.  I've posted them here.   They were all jpgs.   I did some post processing.  Quickly.  So, I would change some of what I've done, work on other aspects over the long haul.

My first impressions of the camera are positive.  It feels solid.  It is well made.  It is fast. I like what I see in the lens.  For such a small sensor, it crops well.  Of course, it has limitations for its genre.  But, when I compare it to previous cameras in its class that I owned, the Lx3 and the Canon G12, it is an improvement (and the two I just named are fine cameras).

Please be kind with the critique of the images.  I don't mean them to be great examples of my work.  Just the results of a first walk around with a new camera that I haven't learned yet.

I've really downsized these, the full size resolution holds up quite well.

I'm happy to respond to any questions about the MX-1.  From a personal usage question.  I'm only a pixel peeper when I'm printing large for friends and for wall display at home.  

downtown church

saint 1

downtown church

buildings

downtown church

lent

saint

tshapiro's gear list:tshapiro's gear list
Canon Pixma Pro-10 Canon Pixma Pro-100
Canon PowerShot G12 Panasonic Lumix DMC-LX3 Pentax MX-1
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
tshapiro
Like?
Re: New MX 1 first images
In reply to tshapiro, Feb 14, 2013

Hmmm, guess I ordered too quickly from Amazon.  Live and learn.  I do think the camera works well.  Here are two more images.   One uses the camera's HDR mode. 

Church HDR

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
jonska
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,205Gear list
Like?
In reply to tshapiro, Feb 14, 2013

I like the look of these. I have the Canon G12 as a backup for my dSLRs, but if I needed a small travel camera this one would come in as a strong contender.

-- hide signature --

Shooting since '59 and still waiting for a keeper

jonska's gear list:jonska's gear list
Pentax K-5
jimr
Forum ProPosts: 11,251
Like?
In reply to jonska, Feb 15, 2013

jonska wrote:

I like the look of these. I have the Canon G12 as a backup for my dSLRs, but if I needed a small travel camera this one would come in as a strong contender.

-- hide signature --

I suggest that you check the size and weight of the Pentax MX -1 .

MX -1  smaller and lighter than your Canon  G12? .

Not at all....

photocat2007
Regular MemberPosts: 405Gear list
Like?
In reply to tshapiro, Feb 15, 2013

tshapiro wrote:

Hmmm, guess I ordered too quickly from Amazon. Live and learn. I do think the camera works well. Here are two more images. One uses the camera's HDR mode.

So what do you mean you ordered too quickly from Amazon?  Price drop or having second thoughts about the camera?  (My MX-1 is on the way)

The initial images look pretty good to me.  The photo that has the blue sky seems to have some sort of wavy artifact type thing in the left corner or is it just my eyes/screen?

sue

photocat2007's gear list:photocat2007's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-LF1 Pentax K-5 Fujifilm X-A1
tshapiro
Like?
In reply to photocat2007, Feb 15, 2013

Alas. The amazon price drop. Happy with camera.

I see the wavy blue sky too. It is not in the full size jpeg at all. Must from reducing size for display in this thread.

photocat2007
Like?

Ah - glad to hear you are happy with the camera.  You can try calling Amazon and asking for a refund of the current price difference.  Likely you will have to use the the trigger words of "can I talk to your manager" b/c the initial rep won't be able to give you the refund without that tactic (call centers - joy).  It took 30 minutes but it worked for me when they dropped the price of the kindle fire by $50 and I was still within my 30 day return window.  For bigger price drops you may find it worth the hassle.

Thanks btw for posting the photos - can't wait to see more!

jimr
Like?
In reply to photocat2007, Feb 15, 2013

You are a talented photographer. Thank you for sharing.

marike6
Senior MemberPosts: 5,070Gear list
Like?

tshapiro wrote:

Alas. The amazon price drop. Happy with camera.

I see the wavy blue sky too. It is not in the full size jpeg at all. Must from reducing size for display in this thread.

The posterization in the sky is from JPEG compression.  Shoot in RAW mode, and that kind of thing won't happen.

Anyway, I'm surprised that both Amazon and B&H now have the MX-1.  I contacted B&H last week and they told me "March 28th" as the date they'd get the new Pentax MX-1.

The new price is an insanely good price for that camera.  Love the design, the LCD, and the images I've seen from the MX-1.  If it weren't for the Fuji X20 that I've pre-ordered, I would have definitely purchased the MX-1.

Nice job, Enjoy your camera.

Markus

marike6's gear list:marike6's gear list
Nikon Coolpix P330 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH2 Nikon D800 Fujifilm X-E1 Panasonic Lumix G 20mm F1.7 ASPH +7 more
marike6
Like?
In reply to jimr, Feb 15, 2013

jimr wrote:

jonska wrote:

-- hide signature --

MX -1 smaller and lighter than your Canon G12? .

Not at all....

Don't know about the G12, but the G15 and MX-1 are not much different in size and weight. The G15 is taller than the MX-1, but depth and width are slightly smaller.  Nothing dramatic.  The G15 is 3 oz (85 grams) lighter than the MX-1. Not much of a difference at all.

Pentax MX-1

4.8 x 2.4 x 2" / 121.9 x 61.0 x 50.8 mm

13.8 oz / 391 g

Canon G15

4.0 x 2.9 x 1.6" / 101.6 x 73.7 x 40.6 mm

10.9 oz / 0.31 kg

See here for photos of MX-1 vs iPhone5 size comparison, and other photos comparing the dimensions of various compacts (click link below):

http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/post/50862637

Nikon Coolpix P330 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH2 Nikon D800 Fujifilm X-E1 Panasonic Lumix G 20mm F1.7 ASPH +7 more
jimr
Like?
In reply to marike6, Feb 15, 2013

He has a G12 and is looking for a small travel camera. The MX-1 is not the small travel camera that he wants if he thought it would be much different in size/weight than the G 12 he already has.

BTW...13.8  ounces of the MX -1 vs. 10.9 ounces of the G is, IMHO, a significant noticeable difference in weight...

marike6
Like?
In reply to jimr, Feb 15, 2013

jimr wrote:

He has a G12 and is looking for a small travel camera. The MX-1 is not the small travel camera that he wants if he thought it would be much different in size/weight than the G 12 he already has.

"Small" is a relative word, but your above post implied that there is a significant size difference between the G series Canons and the Pentax MX-1.  As the dimension above show, there really isn't. Because of the VF, the G15 is taller, but has a slightly more narrow body (.4 inches).  We are not talking Canon S110 small with either camera.

BTW...13.8 ounces of the MX -1 vs. 10.9 ounces of the G is, IMHO, a significant noticeable difference in weight...

3 ounces (85 grams) is significant difference to you?  Interesting.  For most, that's an almost undetectable weight difference.

jimr
Like?
In reply to marike6, Feb 15, 2013

Yes...3 ounces is almost 30 % more in weight.

Add 3 ounces to the weight of a paper airplane and you would notice. Add 3 ounces to the weight of a car and you wouldn't notice.

Subtract 3 ounces from the weight of a cellphone or an iPad and you would notice.

If you watch the video review of the MX -1, the reviewer also mentions the weight 'issue'....

If you read the OP's desire for a pocket camera and then read that he already owns a G12 you would clearly understand that the MX -1 was not gaining him what he seeks. That was my point.

2eyesee
Senior MemberPosts: 1,646
Like?

Thanks for uploading the images. There is quite a strong blue cast in some of them - it looks like the white balance was out. I've seen this on some other images from the MX-1 I've seen too - does it have a AWB issue?

Also, do you have any straight out-of-camera jpg's that you can upload full size for us to have a look at? I'm particular interested in low light/ high ISO images - ISO 800/1600/3200.

Thanks.

tshapiro
Like?
In reply to 2eyesee, Feb 15, 2013

I see the bluish cast most evident in the photo of the person on the street. I will need to take more photos to see if that is prevalent.

I will shoot more photos this weekend including high iso in low light and post them.

2eyesee
Like?

tshapiro wrote:

I see the bluish cast most evident in the photo of the person on the street. I will need to take more photos to see if that is prevalent.

I will shoot more photos this weekend including high iso in low light and post them.

I also see it in some of the photos here:

http://www.quesabesde.com/noticias/pentax-mx-1-analisis-fotos-video,1_9433

Notably:

http://images.quesabesde.com/camaras_digitales/noticias/pentax_mx_1_rimg1857.jpg

http://images.quesabesde.com/camaras_digitales/noticias/pentax_mx_1_rimg1951.jpg

photocat2007
Like?
In reply to tshapiro, Feb 16, 2013

Just got my MX-1.  So far, REALLY like the handling and the menus.  I have an Olympus XZ-1 and while a great little camera, the Oly menu set up just confounds me.  I didn't use it enough to really "learn" it (or more precisely remember it) as I mainly shoot with my Pentax K-5.  I had enough juice in the battery to set the MX-1 up and play a bit but now the battery is charging.  Plan to give it a work out this weekend.

As for size, weight etc.  I'm a petite female and don't find this heavy or "brick-like" at all.  Would it fit in my pants pocket - not at all (of course neither would the Oly XZ-1).  Is it noticeably smaller than my K-5?  Indeed!

sue

jonska
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,205Gear list
Like?
In reply to jimr, Feb 16, 2013

As I understand it, you are talking about miy post. Here is what I said:

"I have the Canon G12 as a backup for my dSLRs, but if I needed a small travel camera this one would come in as a strong contender."

Note  the "if" I needed a small travel camera. I have the Canon G12 so I don't need a small travel camera, but if I did the Pentax would be a contender. The G12 is great as long as there is plently of light and the rotating LCD is sheer genius.

In reality, the Pentax K01 will probably be my next camera ... or perhaps the Q ... hmmm....

-- hide signature --

jonska's gear list:jonska's gear list
Pentax K-5
2eyesee
Like?
In reply to marike6, Feb 16, 2013

marike6 wrote:

jimr wrote:

jonska wrote:

-- hide signature --

MX -1 smaller and lighter than your Canon G12? .

Not at all....

Don't know about the G12, but the G15 and MX-1 are not much different in size and weight. The G15 is taller than the MX-1, but depth and width are slightly smaller. Nothing dramatic. The G15 is 3 oz (85 grams) lighter than the MX-1. Not much of a difference at all.

Pentax MX-1

4.8 x 2.4 x 2" / 121.9 x 61.0 x 50.8 mm

13.8 oz / 391 g

Canon G15

4.0 x 2.9 x 1.6" / 101.6 x 73.7 x 40.6 mm

10.9 oz / 0.31 kg

See here for photos of MX-1 vs iPhone5 size comparison, and other photos comparing the dimensions of various compacts (click link below):

http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/post/50862637

Actually from the dpReview review pages the difference is less than 85 grams - it's only 39 grams:

Pentax MX-1

Weight (inc. batteries): 391 g (0.86 lb / 13.79 oz)
Dimensions: 122 x 61 x 51 mm (4.8 x 2.4 x 2.01")

Canon G15

Weight (inc. batteries): 352 g (0.78 lb / 12.42 oz)
Dimensions: 107 x 76 x 40 mm (4.21 x 2.99 x 1.57")

I checked on the CameraLabs site to confirm this weight - maybe the weight you have is without a battery?

tshapiro
Like?
In reply to jonska, Feb 16, 2013

Related to the bluish cast.  I went back and looked at the original shots.  All jpeg's.

The images i posted, I increased saturation more than a little.  When I back off on the saturation to the original shots.  The colors are far more neutral.  And that actually remind me of the colors I had with a  Pentax k20.

Once I get the hang of a camera I shoot more and more in raw.  So, I'm not too worried about white balance issues.  Plus, the MX 1 has an incredible high degree of adjustments that can be made in almost every area of shooting including white balance.

I like that.  Plus, the manual is incredibly comprehensive.  So, I look forward to learning more.

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads