a Mint Canon 70-200mm F2.8 IS for £875 - is that a good price?

Started Feb 14, 2013 | Discussions
SohoAperture
Forum MemberPosts: 90Gear list
Like?
a Mint Canon 70-200mm F2.8 IS for £875 - is that a good price?
Feb 14, 2013

Hi,

I am about to spend some hard earned on a 5D Mk3 with a 24-105mm this weekend but i also want a 70-200mm lens.  My plan was to buy a new 70-200 F4 IS however i can get a mint condition F2.8 IS for about the same price (£875 in UK)

The weight is not an issue for me and it will be used handheld 95% of the time.  I mainly shoot street and wildlife.

Is it therefore worthwhile buying a used F2.8 rather than a new F4?  If we compared the two using F4 apertures and smaller would there be much difference in sharpness?

Thanks in advance for any help

SohoAperture's gear list:SohoAperture's gear list
Canon EOS 5D Mark III Canon EOS 6D Canon EF 35mm f/1.4L USM Canon EF 50mm f/1.4 USM Canon EF 17-40mm f/4.0L USM +3 more
Canon EOS 5D
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Wibbler1
Junior MemberPosts: 32
Like?
Re: a Mint Canon 70-200mm F2.8 IS for £875 - is that a good price?
In reply to SohoAperture, Feb 14, 2013

Are you sure it's the IS version?  That seems very cheap.

I am assuming it's version 1 of the lens and not the current ISii model?

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
SohoAperture
Forum MemberPosts: 90Gear list
Like?
In reply to Wibbler1, Feb 14, 2013

Yes it is the IS version - the one without IS can be picked up for around £600

It is the original Mk.1 version of the lens and not the current Mk.II model (unfortunately !!!)

I presuming you are saying the F2.8 is the better choice rather than a new F4 IS version?

SohoAperture's gear list:SohoAperture's gear list
Canon EOS 5D Mark III Canon EOS 6D Canon EF 35mm f/1.4L USM Canon EF 50mm f/1.4 USM Canon EF 17-40mm f/4.0L USM +3 more
thinkfat
Senior MemberPosts: 1,184Gear list
Like?

SohoAperture wrote:

Hi,

The weight is not an issue for me and it will be used handheld 95% of the time. I mainly shoot street and wildlife.

Is it therefore worthwhile buying a used F2.8 rather than a new F4? If we compared the two using F4 apertures and smaller would there be much difference in sharpness?

The 70--200 is not a bad lens for street, I used it on a trip to Berlin recently, but if you're thinking about more than just people portraits on the street and details of buildings it's too long. But you're going for the kit with the 24-105, you've covered that anyway.

The price for a mint "Mk I" is good. They usually sell for 900-1000 on ebay, so it's a very reasonable offer.

For comparison with the new F4 IS, looking at the DXOmark database, they're about equally sharp at 5.6, with a slight advantage to the new F4. It's hard to tell, but I think at F4 it's about equal to the F2.8 at F5.6. DXOmark gives a slightly higher overall score to the F2.8 version, however their "perceived MP resolution" score for the F4 is higher.

I think you can't go wrong with the F2.8 IS, especially for the price. If weight and bulk is no objection, as you say. But be aware that it's considerable weight and bulk!

-- hide signature --

Everybody loves gadgets, until they try to make them
http://www.flickr.com/photos/thinkfat
http://thinkfat.blogspot.com

thinkfat's gear list:thinkfat's gear list
Canon EOS 5D Mark II Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH1 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 14-45mm F3.5-5.6 ASPH OIS Canon EF 50mm f/1.4 USM Canon EF 100mm f/2.0 USM +10 more
hedwards
Regular MemberPosts: 267
Like?

The F2.8 Mk I is a really good lens. I'm using it as my walking around lens these days. I get very, very little CA or distortion no matter which way I point it. It's a bit clean for my taste as the bokeh is so clean that it makes a lot of my images look like they've been manipulated to edit out the background.

It's actually not as heavy as it seems. If you do some wall pushups you shouldn't have too much trouble hand holding it with decent light.

But, I'd recommend getting a good strap for the camera and lens. One that distributes the weight across the shoulders. If you get something like that, then it feels like it isn't very heavy at all. I personally use Trekking Safari Straps, but there may be other options as well that do the trick.

Gearóid Ó Laoi, Garry Lee
Veteran MemberPosts: 5,801Gear list
Like?
One thing....
In reply to hedwards, Feb 15, 2013

..and this applies to all lenses.

Quoting DXO mark etc works fine for the average lens of that type, or should, BUT your lens maybe be a lot better, average, or worse.

Test it.

Two of the best lenses I ever had, in the days of film, were Tamron zooms. They were outstanding and were it not for the advent of autofocus, I'd still have them. So, if you can, test..

Gearóid Ó Laoi, Garry Lee's gear list:Gearóid Ó Laoi, Garry Lee's gear list
Canon PowerShot S90 Fujifilm X10 Canon EOS-1Ds Mark III Panasonic Lumix DMC-G1 Canon EOS-1D Mark IV +27 more
mlf123
Junior MemberPosts: 34
Like?
In reply to SohoAperture, Feb 15, 2013

If you need a good average assessment go with an expert average evaluation, as already recommended.

Otherwise you are relying on advice from people that spend more time debating what is sharp and what is oof and what prints sharp.  If there was a clear definition available here, it must have escaped me?

I have only seen endless debate on the sharpness or otherwise of pictures posted.  I am not complaining, but finding agreement is not easy.

John P Roskos
Regular MemberPosts: 229Gear list
Like?
In reply to SohoAperture, Feb 15, 2013

That's about the going price I just sold one on e bay for 1326.00 USD

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads