Help Please Is this mark the lense or the sensor?

Started Feb 14, 2013 | Questions
RenePR
New MemberPosts: 22
Like?
Help Please Is this mark the lense or the sensor?
Feb 14, 2013

I have been noticing these marks on my photos can someone tell me what is the cause of them (Upper Upper left hand corner).

Thanks in advance

ANSWER:
This question has not been answered yet.
edwardaneal
Senior MemberPosts: 9,101Gear list
Like?
Re: Help Please Is this mark the lense or the sensor?
In reply to RenePR, Feb 14, 2013

you have a bit of dust on your sensor - get a rocket blower and blow it off

-- hide signature --

NEX-7 & Sigma 30mm f/2.8
NEX-5 & 18-55 OSS
And a spare black 18-55

edwardaneal's gear list:edwardaneal's gear list
Sony Alpha NEX-7 Sigma 60mm F2.8 DN | Art Carl Zeiss Touit 1.8/32
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
RenePR
Like?
In reply to edwardaneal, Feb 14, 2013

you have a bit of dust on your sensor - get a rocket blower and blow it off

-- hide signature --

NEX-7 & Sigma 30mm f/2.8
NEX-5 & 18-55 OSS
And a spare black 18-55

Thanks for quick response. Whats the level of dificulty to blow sensor or should I have a pro do it?

Thanks

Rene

Glenn
Veteran MemberPosts: 6,927
Like?

really it's not hard. if your blowing just don;t dig the end of the blower into the sensor if you're wet cleaning don't soak the inside of the camera or touch the sensor with anything but the swab... if you can scratch your nose without an ambulance ride you can do this...

El Matadurr
Senior MemberPosts: 4,986Gear list
Like?

The Giottos large rocket air blower is one of the most essential pieces of kit I own. Moved enough dust and crap off of my lenses and sensor to make a dust-bunny army.

http://matthewdurrphotography.com

El Matadurr's gear list:El Matadurr's gear list
Sony Alpha NEX-7 Carl Zeiss Touit 1.8/32
aap292
Regular MemberPosts: 132
Like?
In reply to El Matadurr, Feb 14, 2013

Some other tips: You can use a little light to see if you can visibly see the dust on the sensor. If you buy a blower, don't stick the tip right beside the sensor. Most dust will easily fall off even if you blow from a bit of a distance. And third, stick the body upside down with the sensor facing down so you the dust will theoretically fall down.

RenePR
Like?
In reply to aap292, Feb 14, 2013

Some other tips: You can use a little light to see if you can visibly see the dust on the sensor. If you buy a blower, don't stick the tip right beside the sensor. Most dust will easily fall off even if you blow from a bit of a distance. And third, stick the body upside down with the sensor facing down so you the dust will theoretically fall down.

So the line is a dust "spot"? Were you able to locate them?

jk2l
Regular MemberPosts: 171
Like?

Try to take photo against white wall, sky...etc that is plain single color. Use blower to blow the dust in those area and repeat taking photo until it is gone.

WaltKnapp
Forum ProPosts: 13,820
Like?
In reply to jk2l, Feb 14, 2013

jk2l wrote:

The line is probably something resembling a short section of hair, and yes it's clearly visible in your photos.  I do have a sensor magnifying viewer, but this one probably is visible without that.

Try to take photo against white wall, sky...etc that is plain single color. Use blower to blow the dust in those area and repeat taking photo until it is gone.

Best to stop the lens aperture down, the dust becomes more visible the smaller the aperture.   Way I do it is stop down to f16 or so, set the lens to infinity and point at a section of even clear sky and shoot a photo.

Note in spite of all the faith that everything can be blown off, that's just not so.  Most of the time a blower can get it off, but not always, and the longer it's on there the less likely it will blow off.  When it does not I go to a static charged sensor brush and if that can't get it when used properly (very very lightly) then I go to wet cleaning.

You should really learn to do all this. The techniques are not that hard. Choose a cleaning system and learn it. There is no photo tech following you around, but at any instant a bad dust spec can be in all your photos.  I have cleaning supplies along on all my photo forays. I use the copperhillimages supplies so can recommend them, they do have instructions on their site.

Note on average I only have to clean a sensor less than once a year.

-- hide signature --

I'm Only Responsible For What I Say, Not For What You Understand.
-Walt-

RenePR
Like?
In reply to WaltKnapp, Feb 14, 2013

Thanks everybody I will update as soon as a clean my sensor.

This is the reasons I loce this forum. Great members 2 👍👍

Rene

akophoto
Junior MemberPosts: 35
Like?

Absolutely nothing to worry about. When you take the lens off a NEX you are looking straight at the sensor. Its protected by a hard glass filter.  Just blow it off with a rocket blower but never let the tip of the blower encroach the camera opening. There is then no risk of touching the sensor filter. Wet cleaning is also easy as the shutter is always open and out of the way and you have no mirror box to navigate like a DSLR.

Dust is always going settle on the NEX sensor due to being so open to the outside environment.

El Matadurr
Senior MemberPosts: 4,986Gear list
Like?
In reply to aap292, Feb 14, 2013

aap292 wrote:

If you buy a blower, don't stick the tip right beside the sensor.

Yeah...early on in my cleanings I got it too close to the sensor and unknowingly drug the tip along the surface of the sensor (glass...really). Supposedly it isn't a scratch (doesn't show until f/11 anyway) and can be cleaned off, so we'll see.

http://matthewdurrphotography.com

El Matadurr's gear list:El Matadurr's gear list
Sony Alpha NEX-7 Carl Zeiss Touit 1.8/32
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads