Help me pic my next lens!

Started Feb 14, 2013 | Discussions
danelmix
Regular MemberPosts: 383Gear list
Like?
Help me pic my next lens!
Feb 14, 2013

Hey, I have a Nex 6 (sold my 5 for the 6). I bought the 6 with a sigma 30 and a Nikkor 85mm w/ adapter. The Sigma is fantastic and I love the Nikkor 85 but realize now how its just not practical for much of family and travel shots as my manual focus skills are ok but I'm not quick enough. I sold the Nikkor and now I am looking at the Tamron 18-200 for an all around lens (the panoramic issue doesnt matter to me).  Negatives for me is the f3.5 of the Tamron as I like some Bokeh in my shots. Any other options that you guys use, w/ or w/out the La adapter cause I want auto focus.

Thx

took this with the sigma

 danelmix's gear list:danelmix's gear list
Sony SLT-A99 Sony 70-400mm F4-5.6 G SSM Tamron SP AF 17-50mm F/2.8 XR Di II LD Aspherical (IF) Sigma 18-35mm F1.8 DC HSM
El Matadurr
Senior MemberPosts: 4,979Gear list
Like?
Re: Help me pic my next lens!
In reply to danelmix, Feb 14, 2013

Can't go wrong with the nifty fifty SEL5018.

You already have the Sigma, so unless low-light is a priority, stick with it over the SEL3518 (however, if you want faster focus...sell the Sigma to get it).

Your native telephoto options are limited, at least to get good bokeh.

Question, was that 85mm Nikon a manual-focus lens or a modern AF lens you adapted to use for manual? If modern, you may want to give manual another shot with made-for-manual-focus lenses like the Nikon AI/AI-s', Canon FD/nFD's, etc.

http://matthewdurrphotography.com

 El Matadurr's gear list:El Matadurr's gear list
Sony Alpha NEX-7 Carl Zeiss Touit 1.8/32
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
danelmix
Regular MemberPosts: 383Gear list
Like?
Re: Help me pic my next lens!
In reply to El Matadurr, Feb 14, 2013

El Matadurr wrote:

Can't go wrong with the nifty fifty SEL5018.

You already have the Sigma, so unless low-light is a priority, stick with it over the SEL3518 (however, if you want faster focus...sell the Sigma to get it).

Your native telephoto options are limited, at least to get good bokeh.

Question, was that 85mm Nikon a manual-focus lens or a modern AF lens you adapted to use for manual? If modern, you may want to give manual another shot with made-for-manual-focus lenses like the Nikon AI/AI-s', Canon FD/nFD's, etc.

http://matthewdurrphotography.com

Thanks, it was a modern Nikkor for AF.  Do you think the fifty would prove good enough for travel (leaving for mexico in two weeks) and a graduation etc?

 danelmix's gear list:danelmix's gear list
Sony SLT-A99 Sony 70-400mm F4-5.6 G SSM Tamron SP AF 17-50mm F/2.8 XR Di II LD Aspherical (IF) Sigma 18-35mm F1.8 DC HSM
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
El Matadurr
Senior MemberPosts: 4,979Gear list
Like?
Re: Help me pic my next lens!
In reply to danelmix, Feb 14, 2013

danelmix wrote:

Thanks, it was a modern Nikkor for AF. Do you think the fifty would prove good enough for travel (leaving for mexico in two weeks) and a graduation etc?

Modern AF-designed lenses are difficult and inaccurate to manually focus at best, and frustratingly impossible to focus at worst. There are surely exceptions, but most of the G Nikkors I have tried on my NEX-7 are just a pain to use.

The fifty is a little tight for travel shots, especially if you are wanting to get in scenery/landscapes/etc. You may want to go wider, your Sigma should work just fine for that. Graduation though...it all depends on where you are sitting!

http://matthewdurrphotography.com

 El Matadurr's gear list:El Matadurr's gear list
Sony Alpha NEX-7 Carl Zeiss Touit 1.8/32
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
danelmix
Regular MemberPosts: 383Gear list
Like?
Re: Help me pic my next lens!
In reply to El Matadurr, Feb 14, 2013

El Matadurr wrote:

danelmix wrote:


Thanks, it was a modern Nikkor for AF. Do you think the fifty would prove good enough for travel (leaving for mexico in two weeks) and a graduation etc?

Modern AF-designed lenses are difficult and inaccurate to manually focus at best, and frustratingly impossible to focus at worst. There are surely exceptions, but most of the G Nikkors I have tried on my NEX-7 are just a pain to use.

The fifty is a little tight for travel shots, especially if you are wanting to get in scenery/landscapes/etc. You may want to go wider, your Sigma should work just fine for that. Graduation though...it all depends on where you are sitting!

http://matthewdurrphotography.com

Thanks. Think the Tamron 18-200 is worth the coin? For an all around travel and kids sports lens.  Maybe the Sel5018 and the Rokinon 8 fisheye for a little variety?

 danelmix's gear list:danelmix's gear list
Sony SLT-A99 Sony 70-400mm F4-5.6 G SSM Tamron SP AF 17-50mm F/2.8 XR Di II LD Aspherical (IF) Sigma 18-35mm F1.8 DC HSM
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Tommygun45
Senior MemberPosts: 1,059Gear list
Like?
Re: Help me pic my next lens!
In reply to danelmix, Feb 14, 2013

Id steer clear of the Tamron and new black Sony 18200 and grab an original 18200. I bought one used and its beautiful. You can get them for 650. They are superb optically and superior to both of the newer versions. They are marginally bigger but you wouldn't even notice. They have PDAF enabled for the 6 and it matches the body beautifully. Looks pretty awesome actually. Its perfect for all around shooting. Grab a cheap FD 50 1.4 if you think you might need it for portraits but the 18200 can do portraits just fine as well as a million other things.



Some of the different kinds of shots Ive got with it. All with the 5n btw just got the 6 recently.

 Tommygun45's gear list:Tommygun45's gear list
RX100 III Sony a6000 Sony E 16mm F2.8 Pancake Sony E 35mm F1.8 OSS +3 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
danelmix
Regular MemberPosts: 383Gear list
Like?
Re: Help me pic my next lens!
In reply to Tommygun45, Feb 14, 2013

Tommygun45 wrote:

Id steer clear of the Tamron and new black Sony 18200 and grab an original 18200. I bought one used and its beautiful. You can get them for 650. They are superb optically and superior to both of the newer versions. They are marginally bigger but you wouldn't even notice. They have PDAF enabled for the 6 and it matches the body beautifully. Looks pretty awesome actually. Its perfect for all around shooting. Grab a cheap FD 50 1.4 if you think you might need it for portraits but the 18200 can do portraits just fine as well as a million other things.



Some of the different kinds of shots Ive got with it. All with the 5n btw just got the 6 recently.

Thats a silver or black 18200?

 danelmix's gear list:danelmix's gear list
Sony SLT-A99 Sony 70-400mm F4-5.6 G SSM Tamron SP AF 17-50mm F/2.8 XR Di II LD Aspherical (IF) Sigma 18-35mm F1.8 DC HSM
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
aap292
Regular MemberPosts: 130
Like?
Re: Help me pic my next lens!
In reply to danelmix, Feb 14, 2013

The original one was silver.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
El Matadurr
Senior MemberPosts: 4,979Gear list
Like?
Re: Help me pic my next lens!
In reply to aap292, Feb 14, 2013

aap292 wrote:

The original one was silver.

I agree with the original sony 18200 over the tamron. You'll have PDAF and the stabilisation is even better than the other two (noticeable in video).

http://matthewdurrphotography.com

 El Matadurr's gear list:El Matadurr's gear list
Sony Alpha NEX-7 Carl Zeiss Touit 1.8/32
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
danelmix
Regular MemberPosts: 383Gear list
Like?
Re: Help me pic my next lens!
In reply to El Matadurr, Feb 15, 2013

El Matadurr wrote:

aap292 wrote:

The original one was silver.

I agree with the original sony 18200 over the tamron. You'll have PDAF and the stabilisation is even better than the other two (noticeable in video).

http://matthewdurrphotography.com

Thanks. Leaning towards the Sony 18-200 Silver.

 danelmix's gear list:danelmix's gear list
Sony SLT-A99 Sony 70-400mm F4-5.6 G SSM Tamron SP AF 17-50mm F/2.8 XR Di II LD Aspherical (IF) Sigma 18-35mm F1.8 DC HSM
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
twald
Regular MemberPosts: 491Gear list
Like?
Re: Help me pic my next lens!
In reply to El Matadurr, Feb 17, 2013

I have read several times that the original 18-200 has better stabilization than the e or the tamron. Is there any definitive evidence of that? Can anyone point to a direct comparison of these lenses' stabilization performance in video?

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads