Olympus trys to Calm our fears once more

Started Feb 14, 2013 | Discussions
alatchin
Contributing MemberPosts: 772Gear list
Like?
Olympus trys to Calm our fears once more
Feb 14, 2013

After the slew of "what does like to produce products for 43rds and m43rds mean", and the reduction of production being the sign they will make one more body and annouce the end of the system (laughable)... Here we have Olympus saying, no holds barred they will continue to produce DSLRs....

Anyone read into that m43rds, anyone read into that a dead system? They will probably have a body between the 620 and e-30 and a body between the e-30 and e-5 for size reduction... Both will be considered potential upgrades for m43rds users who want to access HG lenses and Olympus will continue to work on the potential One Beautiful System

Enjoy, Olympus has been as direct as I can imagine them to be.

-- hide signature --

“You don’t take a photograph, you make it.” -Ansel Adams
blog.alatchinphotography(dot)com

alatchin's gear list:alatchin's gear list
Olympus E-3 Olympus PEN E-P2 Olympus PEN E-PL2 Olympus OM-D E-M5 Olympus PEN E-PL5 +20 more
Olympus E-30 Olympus E-5
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
goblin
Senior MemberPosts: 2,792Gear list
Like?
Re: Olympus trys to Calm our fears once more
In reply to alatchin, Feb 14, 2013

Source ?

goblin's gear list:goblin's gear list
Ricoh GXR P10 28-300mm F3.5-5.6 VC Sigma DP1 Merrill Sigma DP3 Merrill Olympus E-1 Olympus E-3 +36 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
pris
Senior MemberPosts: 2,191
Like?
In reply to goblin, Feb 14, 2013
daddyo
Veteran MemberPosts: 9,524Gear list
Like?
Here's the source...
In reply to goblin, Feb 14, 2013

http://www.dpreview.com/news/2013/02/13/Olympus-denies-ceasing-DSLR-production

God Bless,

Greg

www.imagismphotos.com

www.mccroskery.zenfolio.com

www.pbase.com/daddyo

daddyo's gear list:daddyo's gear list
Olympus 12-40mm F2.8
daddyo
Like?
You beat me Pris! (n/t)
In reply to daddyo, Feb 14, 2013

God Bless,

Greg

www.imagismphotos.com

www.pbase.com/daddyo

Olympus 12-40mm F2.8
daddyo
Like?
Great news and...

This is a very wise move on the part of Olympus -- to clear the air and make a definitive statement on this issue.

The rumor mill is a dangerous thing:-)

God Bless,

Greg

www.imagismphotos.com

www.pbase.com/daddyo

Olympus 12-40mm F2.8
pris
Senior MemberPosts: 2,191
Like?
Sorry, didn't mean to hurt :) n/t
dave gaines
Veteran MemberPosts: 9,181Gear list
Like?
Olympus assures us of a DSLR - and what size?

alatchin wrote: ...

... They will probably have a body between the 620 and e-30 and a body between the e-30 and e-5 for size reduction... Both will be considered potential upgrades for m43rds users who want to access HG lenses and Olympus will continue to work on the potential One Beautiful System

Enjoy, Olympus has been as direct as I can imagine them to be.

Good comments. Thanks for the post. I actually missed that news on the home page today.

Some people understood from Toshi Terada's announcement 10 days ago (link below) that Olympus would aim for a smaller DSLR. We'll have to wait and see what he meant by " ... And also it needs to be the right size - the benefit of Micro Four Thirds and Four Thirds is compact size. ..."

For my use, I like the size and weight of the E-5. I can't see how they'd fit all of the easy access creative controls and a swivelling LCD on a smaller body that's as rugged and weather-proof as the E-5.

The Olympus announcement on 2/2/2013: http://www.dpreview.com/articles/7898773566/cp-2013-interview-with-olympus-toshi-terada

-- hide signature --

Dave

dave gaines's gear list:dave gaines's gear list
Olympus C-8080 Wide Zoom Olympus E-330 Nikon D800E Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR Nikon AF-S Nikkor 14-24mm f/2.8G ED +7 more
erichK
Veteran MemberPosts: 4,040Gear list
Like?
Re: Olympus assures us of a DSLR - and what size?
In reply to dave gaines, Feb 14, 2013

dave gaines wrote:

For my use, I like the size and weight of the E-5. I can't see how they'd fit all of the easy access creative controls and a swivelling LCD on a smaller body that's as rugged and weather-proof as the E-5.

Olympus has made miniaturization of cameras and lenses major priority from the days of the Pens and Pen F's. That was the quality of the OM that made it so revolutionary. And they essentially did it all over again - digitally - with the 400 series and the E- 620.

There is a good chance that such miniaturization is exactly what they are working on - in combination with the problem you have cited - in a successor to the E-5 (isn't it interesting, how often the E-620, which did indeed have almost everything the E-3 did, come up in this discussion.)

I think that you are in a minority in your championing of the E3/5 chassis. I have owned and used every Olympus DSLR except the E300 and the E-520. IMHO the E-1 is the most ergonomic camera they have produced, followed closely by the E-620 and the E-420. The E-3/5 bodyi simply too big and heavy, especially for those of us who like to carry and use at least two bodies and a reasonable assortment of lenses.

-- hide signature --

erichK
saskatoon, canada
Photography is a small voice, at best, but sometimes one photograph, or a group of them, can lure our sense of awareness.
- W. Eugene Smith, Dec 30, 1918 to Oct 15, 1978.
http://erichk.zenfolio.com/
http://www.fototime.com/inv/7F3D846BCD301F3
underwater photos:
http://www.scubaboard.com/gallery/showgallery.php/cat/500/ppuser/5567

erichK's gear list:erichK's gear list
Olympus E-1 Olympus E-330 Olympus E-420 Olympus E-30 Olympus E-620 +22 more
dave gaines
Like?
Good points about size
In reply to erichK, Feb 14, 2013

You've recognized the advantages Olympus has had with small cameras from the beginning.

My first DSLR was the E-3. The E-5 is the same size body with a larger LCD screen and one less button, the battery door release. I really like the rugged, weather-proof body of the E-3/E-5. The only other Olympus to have this is the E-1. Besides that, I have large hands with long fingers so I like a big grip.

We'll have to wait and see what Olympus actually offers.

I think the biggest size advantage Olympus DSLRs have is in the telephoto lenses.

-- hide signature --

Dave

Olympus C-8080 Wide Zoom Olympus E-330 Nikon D800E Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR Nikon AF-S Nikkor 14-24mm f/2.8G ED +7 more
alatchin
Like?
Re: Good points about size
In reply to dave gaines, Feb 14, 2013

dave gaines wrote:

You've recognized the advantages Olympus has had with small cameras from the beginning.

My first DSLR was the E-3. The E-5 is the same size body with a larger LCD screen and one less button, the battery door release. I really like the rugged, weather-proof body of the E-3/E-5. The only other Olympus to have this is the E-1. Besides that, I have large hands with long fingers so I like a big grip.

We'll have to wait and see what Olympus actually offers.

I think the biggest size advantage Olympus DSLRs have is in the telephoto lenses.

I wouldnt mind a smaller E-5/3 now mind you, not E620 size... But I can see the potential for a rethink. Maybe not as small as the E-620, as they m43rds for the absolute smallest, and not as big as an E-5/E-30... Think how many here lauded the Pentax size... Maybe that big?

To be honest I have had the E-300 and the E-3 and didnt mind either of them, I am a young man and I dont have the worry of weight (unless lugging equipment to an on-site shoot) but I do want the choice of an OVF / EVF, when I cant tell the difference (and we are close) I wont mind, but EVFs have their strengths, as do OVFs and I think, judging by everything Olympus has said, they understand that as well.

-- hide signature --

Dave

-- hide signature --

Olympus E-3 Olympus PEN E-P2 Olympus PEN E-PL2 Olympus OM-D E-M5 Olympus PEN E-PL5 +20 more
alatchin
Like?
Re: Great news and...

daddyo wrote:

This is a very wise move on the part of Olympus -- to clear the air and make a definitive statement on this issue.

The rumor mill is a dangerous thing:-)

Especially here huh?! I look forward to a bit of peace here

God Bless,

Greg

www.imagismphotos.com

www.pbase.com/daddyo

-- hide signature --

exdeejjjaaaa
Veteran MemberPosts: 6,843Gear list
Like?

erichK wrote: MHO the E-1 is the most ergonomic camera they have produced, followed closely by the E-620 and the E-420. The E-3/5 bodyi simply too big and heavy, especially for those of us who like to carry and use at least two bodies and a reasonable assortment of lenses.

but those of you who prefer to carry and use at least two bodies and a reasonable assortment of lenses are a small minority vs those who just want a normal sized camera that are comfortable to work with and do not carry 2 bodies and dozen lenses...

exdeejjjaaaa's gear list:exdeejjjaaaa's gear list
Olympus E-M1 Sony Alpha 7 Panasonic Lumix G 20mm F1.7 ASPH Panasonic Leica DG Macro-Elmarit 45mm F2.8 ASPH OIS Panasonic Lumix G 14mm F2.5 ASPH +23 more
Messier Object
Senior MemberPosts: 2,975Gear list
Like?

erichK wrote:

I think that you are in a minority in your championing of the E3/5 chassis. I have owned and used every Olympus DSLR except the E300 and the E-520. IMHO the E-1 is the most ergonomic camera they have produced, followed closely by the E-620 and the E-420. The E-3/5 bodyi simply too big and heavy, especially for those of us who like to carry and use at least two bodies and a reasonable assortment of lenses.

IMO the E-30 is the minimum size a new DSLR should be, and there needs to be a solid grip to go with it.

If you have used a ZD90-250mm or ZD300mm then you will understand the importance of having a substantial body on the end of those lenses.  If Oly gives us a small DSLR then they need to offer a really BIG pro grip to go with it.

If in your opinion ZD300 owners are in such a small minority that we don't count and that Oly should cater for the 'majority', you need to consider that the ZD is the Olympus Flagship lens and it truly is an optical gem, and Oly needs to support it with a decent sized body. To cut it out of consideration is just the start of a road down to the ordinary. And those special lenses will be just curiosities.

But with a proper pro 4/3 DSLR with a new sensor behind these lenses Oly shooters will not only out-reach the FF competition (we already do) they will have the IQ and high ISO performance as well to be stand-out alternatives to Canon and Nikon. Hey, if the new camera sells well Oly might just keep the 4/3 DSLR alive and one day we might even see a 400mm F/4 prime

Peter

Messier Object's gear list:Messier Object's gear list
Olympus E-5 Olympus E-300 Olympus E-330 Olympus E-30 Canon EOS 5D Mark III +1 more
Darrell500
Senior MemberPosts: 2,021Gear list
Like?
In reply to Messier Object, Feb 14, 2013

A 400 f4 would be nice especially priced near a 35-100 or less. I just have this feeling that Olympus is going to surprise everyone like they did with the OMD and their new DSLR is going to be a hit.

-- hide signature --

"Don't Be Afraid To See What You See"
Darrell

Darrell500's gear list:Darrell500's gear list
Olympus E-500 Olympus E-520 Olympus E-5 Olympus PEN E-P3 Olympus Zuiko Digital ED 50mm 1:2.0 Macro +25 more
Marty4650
Forum ProPosts: 10,059Gear list
Like?
Hold on a minute

Read this news story carefully:

It says two things:

• Olympus denies it is ceasing production of DSLRs
  • Olympus lost $170 million last year on cameras and lenses
The first statement doesn't mean there will be any new 4/3 cameras or lenses. It just means that the E5 will continue in production as long as anyone wants to buy one. And I don't imagine they will sell very many more E5s since they can be had at bargain prices used, as E5 owners switch to other brands or OM-Ds. Are there really many people left who want to spend $1700 for a nice camera with 2008 sensor technology?
The second statement is the one that is the most troubling. If Olympus lost $170 million last year, then they lost that money selling P&S cameras and M4/3 cameras and lenses, because this is pretty much all they sell nowadays.
I don't think 4/3 has a future, no matter what hints, promises and assurances Olympus makes about 4/3. They are in no financial position to revive a line that was losing money. But now I'm starting to worry about how long M4/3 can last if the imaging division keeps losing that much money each year.
 Marty4650's gear list:Marty4650's gear list
Sony SLT-A55 Olympus OM-D E-M5 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GM1 Panasonic Lumix G 14mm F2.5 ASPH Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 14-42mm 1:3.5-5.6 II R +7 more
dave gaines
Like?
Re: Hold on - the empty glass
In reply to Marty4650, Feb 14, 2013

Marty, your glass is not half empty. It's not just empty, it's dry as a bone. Your pessimism is as deep as the well.

You have to read today's news along with Toshi Terada's statement from earlier this month. He's not talking about continuing the existing DSLRs. He's talking about new camera bodies.

The Olympus announcement on 2/2/2013: http://www.dpreview.com/articles/7898773566/cp-2013-interview-with-olympus-toshi-terada

-- hide signature --

Dave

Abrak
Senior MemberPosts: 1,552
Like?
Re: Hold on a minute

Marty4650 wrote:

Read this news story carefully:

It says two things:

• Olympus denies it is ceasing production of DSLRs
  • Olympus lost $170 million last year on cameras and lenses
The first statement doesn't mean there will be any new 4/3 cameras or lenses. It just means that the E5 will continue in production as long as anyone wants to buy one. And I don't imagine they will sell very many more E5s since they can be had at bargain prices used, as E5 owners switch to other brands or OM-Ds. Are there really many people left who want to spend $1700 for a nice camera with 2008 sensor technology?
The second statement is the one that is the most troubling. If Olympus lost $170 million last year, then they lost that money selling P&S cameras and M4/3 cameras and lenses, because this is pretty much all they sell nowadays.
I don't think 4/3 has a future, no matter what hints, promises and assurances Olympus makes about 4/3. They are in no financial position to revive a line that was losing money. But now I'm starting to worry about how long M4/3 can last if the imaging division keeps losing that much money each year.

The renewed speculation about what Olympus is going to do with its camera division has almost certainly come about because of a presentation they gave to analysts at their results.

The slides show contains 2 bullet points on the imaging division

* Reduce personnel by 10% from March 2012

* Cut SG&A expenses 4bn YOY

There is then --> Further drastic reform is under review

The underlining is not mine it is Olympus's and it is the only planned action that is underlined in the presentation of the entire business.

And remember six months ago, Olympus was forecasting a profit for cameras and now it is forecasting a loss of 15% of sales. Anyway there is bound to be speculation about what 'drastic reform' of the business actually entails.

illy
Forum ProPosts: 12,160Gear list
Like?

nice to see a clear statement

-- hide signature --

The time you enjoy wasting is not wasted time.

illy's gear list:illy's gear list
Nikon D200 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GF1 Nikon D5100 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 55-200mm f/4-5.6G VR Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6G VR +4 more
Haider
Contributing MemberPosts: 974
Like?
Re: Hold on a minute

From Oly statements mirrorless market-share is growing in US but it's not on fire. Obviously Oly will look to increase their sales as the mirrorless market-share grows.

Conjecture to say where the money is being lost. Has Oly made any announcements?

From what I see in London most tourists have mobiles and advanced compact cameras or a DSLR. I don't see many P&S basic cameras. I have seen a few people shooting with iPads though:) The global economy isn't booming that bubbles over. Price will be important to consumers and Pros going forward as the global squeeze continues on house-hold budgets and profit margins.

They need think out of the box make their advanced compacts and basic mirrorless and DSLRs able to stick photos/videos straight onto Facebook et. all. Add Full HD video recording. Consumers will care less about MPs are more about usability and convergence...

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads