Epson 3880 - which version?

Started Feb 14, 2013 | Discussions
kaholt
Regular MemberPosts: 115
Like?
Epson 3880 - which version?
Feb 14, 2013

On B&H they list three different versions of the Epson 3880. A "basic" model, the "Signature Worthy Edition" and the "Designer Edition".

What are the differences in these different editions other than price? I vaguely detect there are differences in bundled software, but I can't quite tell what those differences are, much less which one I want. Are there other differences other than software? Does it matter that I use a Mac running OS X Mountain Lion (the most recent release)?

I am generally wary of software bundles because there always seems to be issues when it comes time to upgrade.

Any advice?

Keith

Vernon D Rainwater
Forum ProPosts: 12,218
Like?
Re: Epson 3880 - which version?
In reply to kaholt, Feb 14, 2013

kaholt wrote:

On B&H they list three different versions of the Epson 3880. A "basic" model, the "Signature Worthy Edition" and the "Designer Edition".

What are the differences in these different editions other than price? I vaguely detect there are differences in bundled software, but I can't quite tell what those differences are, much less which one I want. Are there other differences other than software? Does it matter that I use a Mac running OS X Mountain Lion (the most recent release)?

I am generally wary of software bundles because there always seems to be issues when it comes time to upgrade.

Any advice?

Keith

Keith, details in the below link may be helpful for you.

http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/post/39895808

-- hide signature --

Vernon...

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
kaholt
Regular MemberPosts: 115
Like?
In reply to Vernon D Rainwater, Feb 14, 2013

OK, so the signature edition is apparently nothing more than a bundle with some different papers and no software. Nothing there that interests me. The designer edition includes the RIP EFI eXpress. No idea if that is of any value to me or not since its hard to figure out what it does above and beyond what I would have without it printing from Lightroom or Photoshop.

lpGrumpy
Forum MemberPosts: 97
Like?
In reply to kaholt, Feb 15, 2013

I have a 3880 and I got it without the RIP software. If you decide that you want to print at > than the Epson limits, folks have mentioned PrinitFab quite often. There is a home version available for about $61.00 (price in in British Pounds = 49). There is a new beta available for free until June that might be worth a try. See:

http://www.printfab.com/en/

I have sent a query to them asking if they support the .icc files from the various paper manufacturers. I also use a lot of Red River paper.

-- hide signature --

Lp

canon person
Senior MemberPosts: 1,507
Like?
In reply to lpGrumpy, Feb 18, 2013

I bought the Standard version, and it more than fits the bill for me.

Canon Person

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads