Anyone Miss Their 5D (I, II, or III) after getting an OMD?

Started Feb 13, 2013 | Discussions
Angry Panda
Junior MemberPosts: 26
Like?
Anyone Miss Their 5D (I, II, or III) after getting an OMD?
Feb 13, 2013

I've been shooting happily with my OMD-EM5 since last summer, and my Canon 40D has been collecting dust.  However, I have a shelf of great L lenses, and have a 5D III on order partly for the extraordinary low light capabilities it offers, and to make use of the fantastic 70-200 for portraits and events, and 35/1.4 for low light candids of the kids around the house.

However, I'm wondering whether it's realistic that I'll make enough use of the 5D III to make it worth the cost.  I'm certainly not going to lug it around everywhere, and probably not even on vacations.  So mainly it would be for indoor low-light use around the house and special occasions and events like birthdays and recitals.  But I'm also wondering whether I've been spoiled by the OMD's current size/quality trade off (especially with fast prime lenses) and won't make nearly as much use of my Canon gear as I used to in the days when I had a Canon 40D/Panasonic GF1.

For those who gave up a 5D (of whatever mark) for an OMD, do you miss it--and if so, often enough that you wish you'd kept it?  Or for those who have kept their 5D after getting an OMD, are you glad that you have?

In the end, I'll have 30 days to try out the 5D III and develop some sense of whether it's worth keeping.  But I'd also like to hear what folks who have had longer to miss (or not) their 5D have to relate.  Thanks!

Canon EOS 40D Canon EOS 5D Panasonic Lumix DMC-GF1
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Timbukto
Senior MemberPosts: 2,774Gear list
Like?
Re: Anyone Miss Their 5D (I, II, or III) after getting an OMD?
In reply to Angry Panda, Feb 13, 2013

I'm keeping my 5D II and will still shoot and look forward to Canon developments, etc.  Not a fan of EVFs, IBIS is still a bit *iffy* for me, and MFT lenses are frequently decentered...but this is me being ultra-critical, otherwise its pretty terrific.  The 40-150 + my E-PM2 with its 8 FPS burst is enough to keep me from buying something like any huge 70-300...

Timbukto's gear list:Timbukto's gear list
Canon EOS M Canon EOS 6D Canon EF 50mm f/1.4 USM Canon EF 85mm f/1.8 USM Canon EF 200mm f/2.8L II USM +1 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Lucas McDonald
Regular MemberPosts: 165Gear list
Like?
In reply to Timbukto, Feb 13, 2013

I don't have a 5D but I did have a crop camera (50D) and was debating on upgrading to a full frame so I borrowed  a mates 5D for a couple of days shooting with a 24-70L and the 85L.

For what I want to do ie street scenes / people and family shots I find the OMD the better camera , now before people start saying I don't know what I am talking about I will say I am no expert and have only started this hobby 3 years ago , but I find the OMD a fantastic llittle camera that is the perfect size for me and because of its size I TAKE IT EVERYWHERE.

The weight and size difference between the two systems is a big deal and my back is very grateful for the lighter system , I do admit that a 5D plus an L lens does give some shots and extra appeal but when my Panny 25 arrives and then the 75 Oly I think I won't notice too much of a difference

Lucas McDonald's gear list:Lucas McDonald's gear list
Samyang 7.5mm F3.5 UMC Fisheye MFT Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 75mm 1:1.8 Olympus OM-D E-M5 Panasonic Leica D Summilux Asph 25mm F1.4 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 12-50mm 1:3.5-6.3 EZ +2 more
Macx
Senior MemberPosts: 1,248Gear list
Like?

I guess it completely depends on how much you shoot and what, but I think a 135 format camera and a micro 4:3 complements each other well. Something like a 5DN brings continuous auto-focus, shallower depth of field, a bit less noise at both extremes of the ISO range and different ergonomics. But it does so at the cost of size, weight and money. You have to figure out how much use you'll get out of those advantages, before you can decide if it'll be a good investment or a waste of money.

Personally, I don't miss having a larger dSLR. Though I envy the advantages of a larger sensor, the smaller size and weight more than makes up for it. A 5D3 or D800, good as they may be, would sit in my cupboard collecting dust. Your mileage may vary.

Brian Wadie
Veteran MemberPosts: 5,059Gear list
Like?
not any more

I moved from 5Dmk2 + 60D to EM-5 making the transfer in two stages, sold the 60D + a few lenses to buy the EM-5 + a couple of lenses. After a few months found I wasn't using the 5D mk2 enough to warrant keeping that much money teid up so sold it + 3 L lenses and made the full transition.

My reason for selling was simple - I've reached an age and degree of imfirmity that I couldn't handle the weight of the canon kit, otherwise I would have kept it

My useage is for hobby +semi-pro, from shooting BIFs, bees bugs and butterflies, studio portraiture, water sport, landscape etc

I sell around £5k worth of images / year and have found that the images from the EM-5 are getting veryy positive comments from my customers (largely landscape and flowers)

I'm still winning local and area competitions with the images it produces and have even found a way to produce acceptable quality BIF work (which also sell / win comps)

This was the genre that gave me the most concern to start with but having overcome this by learning to adapt my techniques and learn a few new I'm now happy

The big bonus for me is that once again I can carry all my gear with me (including a 500mm mirror lens) in a small shoulder bag (nova 180) and better yet I still have about £1000 left over from selling the canon kit

Its not the right decision for most people but it worked for me

Brian Wadie's gear list:Brian Wadie's gear list
Olympus OM-D E-M5 Olympus E-M1 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 9-18mm 1:4.0-5.6 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 40-150mm 1:4-5.6 R Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 60mm 1:2.8 Macro +4 more
slimandy
Forum ProPosts: 14,025Gear list
Like?

I don't miss my Nikon D700 for one simple reason - I've still got it. I would miss it if I sold it. I'll use both systems for a while yet.

-- hide signature --

www.andrewsandersphotography.co.uk

slimandy's gear list:slimandy's gear list
Nikon D200 Nikon D700 Olympus OM-D E-M5 Fujifilm X-E1 Fujifilm X-T1
chino
New MemberPosts: 22
Like?

I still have my mkII, but the Oly sees most of the use. There are only 2.5 things i miss:

1. High ISO. Ok, not a lot that can be done here, i knew what i was getting and I'm still pleasantly surprised on this matter by the OM-D

2. Custom user settings implementation. Major gripe here, bad Oly, bad!

2,5: The viewfinder, although i learned to live with the EVF, not so bad after all.

dino1891
New MemberPosts: 8
Like?
In reply to chino, Feb 13, 2013

I miss my Canon 5D. I didn't want two partial systems, and so when it came down to it, I chose the OMD and a full m43 system. Pan 14mm, Oly 17mm f1.8, Pan 25mm, and Oly 75mm with fl-600r flash. That came out to $3000 exactly (of course I bought cheap hoya multicoat filters for each of them so slap $50 on top of that).

I use this OMD so much more than my 5D (everyday vs limited weekend use) that I couldn't justify keeping the 5D. I have a small laptop/camera bag, and I carry two lenses and the flashgun with me all the time. LOVE IT.

I miss the 5D but ONLY sometimes. The narrow depth of field I got with my 50mm and 85mm was amazing. The Pan25mm and Olympus 75mm are sufficient though in that department. I actually like the wider depth of field sometimes. When I am out with the Oly 17mm f1.8, I set it to f5.6 and at 5ft, the total depth of field is 5.5 feet. With the 5D and 35mm lens, I would have to stop it down to f11 to have an equivalent depth of field. So for my street shooting, the wider depth of field is welcome.

slimandy
Like?
In reply to dino1891, Feb 13, 2013

dino1891 wrote:

(of course I bought cheap hoya multicoat filters for each of them so slap $50 on top of that).

Oh dear. Why would you do that?

-- hide signature --

MPA1
Senior MemberPosts: 2,542Gear list
Like?

I would miss my Nikon D3s bodies and lenses.

Which is why I kept them...!

dino1891
New MemberPosts: 8
Like?
In reply to slimandy, Feb 13, 2013

Because its still multicoated and not single-coated.

Future user
Forum MemberPosts: 66
Like?
Too much money sitting on the shelf?

Only you know whether the technical advantages of the 5D Mark III + L lenses will outweigh the quality/portability ratio of using your OM-D setup. You may be thinking it's too much money sitting on the shelf "just in case" around the house.

If you can return it, test the 5D for a few days and compare the experience to that of using your OM-D. That's what matters: real world usage, which will always beat technical measurebations.

sgoldswo
Senior MemberPosts: 3,105Gear list
Like?

Angry Panda wrote:

However, I'm wondering whether it's realistic that I'll make enough use of the 5D III to make it worth the cost. I'm certainly not going to lug it around everywhere, and probably not even on vacations. So mainly it would be for indoor low-light use around the house and special occasions and events like birthdays and recitals.

For low light stuff around the house the E-M5 will be fine - use it with the 17 F1.8 and you'll be happy.

I don't have a 5D (DSLRs are too heavy and impractical for what I shoot). As a cheaper alternative for a "see in the dark" camera, the Fuji X-Pro1 is pretty good. It won't have the choice of lenses of the Canon and the AF is slower than the E-M5 but it is excellent for low light work (great high ISO results, OVF, works well with flash etc).

That said, I'm not sure I would bother for the purposes you describe. Another alternative that might make more sense is the GH3, which has similar results to the E-M5 for stills (possibly a hair nicer) but doubles as a very nice video camera too and you can use all your M43s lenses on it.

sgoldswo's gear list:sgoldswo's gear list
Nikon D800E Leica M Typ 240 Olympus E-M1 Nikon Df
slimandy
Like?
In reply to dino1891, Feb 13, 2013

dino1891 wrote:

Because its still multicoated and not single-coated.

Why do you use them at all?

-- hide signature --

lighthunter80
Regular MemberPosts: 205Gear list
Like?

I got a 5D2 as well plus 16-35L II, 50L, Sigma 85 and 135L.

While m4/3 is a great system, it cannot cover every desire. It can never give me a shallow DOF in wider angle shots. If I want to separate a subject from the background the larger sensor helps a lot.
Also low light quality is noticeably better on the Canon. Everything above ISO 1600 is just better on the 5D.

Having said that makes both systems complementary to me. I wouldn't give up one over the other. I take m4/3 whenever I want something small and light weight. If I purely want quality or low light I take the Canon.

For some people it might though make sense to give up on Canon. That really depends on how they use them and what their main subjects are.

lighthunter80's gear list:lighthunter80's gear list
Canon EOS 5D Mark II Olympus PEN E-P5 Canon EF 16-35mm f/2.8L II USM Panasonic Lumix G 14mm F2.5 ASPH Sigma 85mm F1.4 EX DG HSM +5 more
TORN
Contributing MemberPosts: 671
Like?
Usage is the point

If you do not use something you do not need it. Guess with cameras this depends greatly on your needs.

I do own an E-M5 and the 5D classic with Ls and primes. My 5D sees nearly no use for 7 months now but I am still on the edge about selling it. Why is that so?

One thing is ergonomics. While the E-M5 goes everywhere and the touch and tilt display is a pleasure the buttons and dials are very cramped. For my taste Olympus just overdid the miniaturization here plus others have done it better (for my taste) like Sony and Fuji. Sometimes this little wonder is so much fun and sometimes it is not. Whenever I use my 5D it is a pleasure, fitting like a glove. Just grab a nice L-Tele, use the joystick for quick AF-Selection, dial in your main parameter and you know what I mean.

Other thing is special needs. Minimum depth of field especially at 35 and 85mm is what I like plus ultra wide lenses. Unfortunately Olympus opted for just 1.8 on its 17 and 45mm. I would have loved to see 1.4. Ok Panasonic will do the 43mm 1.2, possibly costing a fortune. But 35mm 1.8 on mft does just not have the perfect look for me. With the ultra wide I have a different issue: 9-18 is just ok and the 7-14 has purple blotches on Olympus mft cameras. I am underwhelmed here after the 7-14 was one of the reasons I took the E-M5 over Sony and Fuji.

Last thing is build quality (of the lenses). Ok I know everybody goes crazy about Olympus metal lenses. Maybe it is just me but compared to my Canon Ls they still feel a bit toylike. I simply have doubts that those will give me the same durability as my Ls. Maybe I do them injustice but the Ls have stood the test of time and really are worth the investment. The good mft lenses are not cheap but will they give you 15 years of use?

Then there are of course applications the E-M5 simply cannot do as well. Honestly apart from action shooting there are not so many and simply I personally have none. Instead I like the inobtrusive and easy ways of the E-M5.

So I guess I just need another year or two to see how mft, Sony and Fuji develop. Maybe they get a bit better ergonomics, lenses which say a bit more "I last forever", hybrid AF for action, a perfect ultra wide and some more real bright primes. I am convinced this is going to happen in the next years. And then I would not miss my 5D nomore.

Anyhow what I do right now is reducing my 5D setup. I just keep the lenses which give me something special and I will not go for the best and most expensive body.

rrr_hhh
Veteran MemberPosts: 5,894Gear list
Like?

I own a 5D Mk1 and feel that I'm now at a turning point : should I sell all my Canon gear ? keep it dusting on a shelf on the more and more hypothetic case that I may need it ? or should I update it with a Canon 6D (I'm not considering considering a 5D3, it added a lot of weight along with features I don't need).

The only real reason pushing me toward an update is the fact that there are no TSE lenses for MFT cameras.

I could sell the 5D plus the first version of the 16-35mm F2.8 L zoom which I don't use on the FF and that shouldn't make the price of the updating too painful. I will probably pay a visit to my favorite camera shop and see whether I can get a good deal In exchange. But I'm still wondering whether I'll use the 6D enough to justify the update. One thing is sure : I'm mostly using the E-M5 these days. But it has also something to do with the novity. Getting a 6D would push me to use the FF again.

One thing is worrying me however : reading the DPreview review of the 6D, the E-M5 seems to have more DR than the 6D and that is one of the most important feature I appreciate with the E-M5. I would love the WIFI connectivity and GPS of the 6D (you can shoot remotely using an iPad - it seems - and compose on a huge E-VF). But I hate the fact that it only has a fixed LCD.

-- hide signature --

rrr_hhh

rrr_hhh's gear list:rrr_hhh's gear list
Olympus PEN E-P3 Olympus OM-D E-M5 Canon EOS 6D Canon EF 50mm f/1.4 USM Canon EF 16-35mm f/2.8L USM +18 more
ryan2007
Veteran MemberPosts: 7,232Gear list
Like?

Don't discount the Panasonic GH-3.

ryan2007's gear list:ryan2007's gear list
Fujifilm X100S
Bob Tullis
Forum ProPosts: 25,259Gear list
Like?
In reply to ryan2007, Feb 13, 2013

ryan2007 wrote:

Don't discount the Panasonic GH-3.

What an odd response.

-- hide signature --

...Bob, NYC
http://www.bobtullis.com
"Well, sometimes the magic works. . . Sometimes, it doesn't." - Little Big Man

Bob Tullis's gear list:Bob Tullis's gear list
Olympus E-M1 Rokinon 7.5mm 1:3.5 UMC Fisheye CS Voigtlander Nokton 42.5mm F0.95 Voigtlander Nokton 17.5mm F0.95 Aspherical Olympus 12-40mm F2.8 +17 more
Bob Tullis
Forum ProPosts: 25,259Gear list
Like?
No.

I missed the 5D2 to a degree working with the 12mp Pens and the GH2, but still sold it off (it took a year of lack of use, though).

Since acquiring the E-M5 that's no longer the case.

-- hide signature --

...Bob, NYC
http://www.bobtullis.com
"Well, sometimes the magic works. . . Sometimes, it doesn't." - Little Big Man

Bob Tullis's gear list:Bob Tullis's gear list
Olympus E-M1 Rokinon 7.5mm 1:3.5 UMC Fisheye CS Voigtlander Nokton 42.5mm F0.95 Voigtlander Nokton 17.5mm F0.95 Aspherical Olympus 12-40mm F2.8 +17 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads