Difference Between Micro 4/3 and 4/3

Started Feb 13, 2013 | Questions
JoeBrautigam
Junior MemberPosts: 25Gear list
Like?
Difference Between Micro 4/3 and 4/3
Feb 13, 2013

So i have either a really dumb question or an actual question....Im looking to get a new lens for my olympus pen epl1 and the one i want is rokinon fisheye but theres two theres olympus 4/3 system category or micro 4/3 and the one in the olympus 4/3 system i really like...hahaha so im just wondering if there is a difference or the olympus 4/3 system category will only work for olympus and not other brands.

ANSWER:
This question has not been answered yet.
Leonard Migliore
Forum ProPosts: 10,381Gear list
Like?
Re: Difference Between Micro 4/3 and 4/3
In reply to JoeBrautigam, Feb 13, 2013

JoeBrautigam wrote:

So i have either a really dumb question or an actual question....Im looking to get a new lens for my olympus pen epl1 and the one i want is rokinon fisheye but theres two theres olympus 4/3 system category or micro 4/3 and the one in the olympus 4/3 system i really like...hahaha so im just wondering if there is a difference or the olympus 4/3 system category will only work for olympus and not other brands.

The original 4/3 system was for single lens reflex cameras. This has been a generally unsuccessful type of product. The micro 4/3 system was then introduced. This has a similar lens mount to 4/3 but it's closer to the sensor. It won't work with reflex cameras but does work with electronic view finders. Micro 4/3 seems to be a more viable system than 4/3.

Your Olympus is a micro 4/3 camera, so you should get micro 4/3 lenses for it. Lenses for the original 4/3 system will only fit with an adapter.

Why do you prefer the 8mm 4/3 fisheye over the 7.5mm micro 4/3 fisheye?

-- hide signature --

Leonard Migliore

Leonard Migliore's gear list:Leonard Migliore's gear list
Canon PowerShot G12 Nikon D300 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 16-85mm f/3.5-5.6G ED VR Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 35mm f/1.8G Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 10-24mm f/3-5-4.5G ED +9 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Chris R-UK
Forum ProPosts: 12,544Gear list
Like?
Slower focusing
In reply to Leonard Migliore, Feb 13, 2013

Apart from requiring an adapter, the main disadvantage of using 4/3 lenses on an M4/3 body is that they are slower focusing.

4/3 cameras were DSLRs with phase detection focusing whereas M4/3 cameras are mirrorless with contrast detection focusing.  The design requirements for phase detection and contrast detection lenses are different which is why the 4/3 lenses are slower focusing on M4/3 bodies.

Having said that there are some 4/3 lenses that have no equivalent on m4/3 bodies, e.g. the professional quality Olympus 50-200mm f2.8-3.5 lens.

-- hide signature --

Chris R

Chris R-UK's gear list:Chris R-UK's gear list
Canon EOS 7D Panasonic Lumix DMC-GF1 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH2 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 14-45mm F3.5-5.6 ASPH OIS Canon EF 50mm f/1.8 II +6 more
Pedagydusz
Veteran MemberPosts: 4,426Gear list
Like?

I think you will be better served in respect to answers if you post this in the Micro Four Thirds forum, it is where it belongs.

Having said that, I see that the previous posters gave you the condensed but essential answers.

-- hide signature --
 Pedagydusz's gear list:Pedagydusz's gear list
Olympus PEN E-PL5 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX7 Adobe Photoshop CS6
sigala1
Senior MemberPosts: 3,508
Like?
Different lens mount

JoeBrautigam wrote:

Both systems have the same size sensor. Lens mounts are different.

A micro 4/3 lens will not fit on a 4/3 camera, and vice versa.
There is an ADAPTER that will allow a 4/3 lens to be used on a micro 4/3 camera, but not the other way around. Some 4/3 lenses will not auto focus correctly when using the adapter and you will have to use manual focus. Or if they do auto focus correctly, it will be very slow.

JoeBrautigam
Like?
In reply to Leonard Migliore, Feb 20, 2013

Leonard Migliore wrote:

JoeBrautigam wrote:

The original 4/3 system was for single lens reflex cameras. This has been a generally unsuccessful type of product. The micro 4/3 system was then introduced. This has a similar lens mount to 4/3 but it's closer to the sensor. It won't work with reflex cameras but does work with electronic view finders. Micro 4/3 seems to be a more viable system than 4/3.

Your Olympus is a micro 4/3 camera, so you should get micro 4/3 lenses for it. Lenses for the original 4/3 system will only fit with an adapter.

Why do you prefer the 8mm 4/3 fisheye over the 7.5mm micro 4/3 fisheye?

-- hide signature --

Leonard Migliore

Yeah i just liked the size a bit better than the 7.5mm but the 7.5mm is probably better for traveling and just putting my camera in a bag.....Thanks for responding!!

JoeBrautigam
Like?
Re: Different lens mount
In reply to sigala1, Feb 20, 2013

Thankyou!!

JoeBrautigam
Like?
In reply to Pedagydusz, Feb 20, 2013

Pedagydusz wrote:

I think you will be better served in respect to answers if you post this in the Micro Four Thirds forum, it is where it belongs.

Having said that, I see that the previous posters gave you the condensed but essential answers.

-- hide signature --

Sorry this was my first time being on this website and posting did not even know there was a micro four thirds forum....my appologies

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads