Cheap 7-14mm went unsold on ebay

Started Feb 12, 2013 | Discussions
Messier Object
Senior MemberPosts: 2,933Gear list
Like?
Cheap 7-14mm went unsold on ebay
Feb 12, 2013

This week I watched what was listed as

Olympus Zuiko DIGITAL ED 7-14mm F/4.0 Fast Ultrawide Zoom 4/3 Mount: New/Demo!

US $1,099.99

It is a brand new lens with full Olympus USA warranty coverage, it was taken out of the box occasionally to demonstrate for customers. We are authorized Olympus USA dealers.  . . .

go unsold without a bid on ebay.  want,  but I put it on watch out of curiosity to see what it went for. don't This is one SHG  lens I know I  I know from comments on this forum that it's highly praised by many users, and I expected it to go for upwards of $1500 hmm ? Peter  
 Messier Object's gear list:Messier Object's gear list
Olympus E-300 Olympus E-330 Olympus E-30 Olympus E-5 Canon EOS 5D Mark III +1 more
John King
Forum ProPosts: 12,796Gear list
Like?
Re: Cheap 7-14mm went unsold on ebay
In reply to Messier Object, Feb 12, 2013

Gidday Peter

Nah. This lens in very good to mint condition sells here s/h for about Oz$1,000. Granted, no guarantee, and not brand new.

I paid much more than this for mine s/h in mint condition some years ago now.

The retail price has also fallen here in Oz from around Oz$2,900 at peak around 5 years ago, to about $2,200 right now. After all, this lens is now a relatively old lens, so I would think that the development costs have well and truly been amortised by Olympus.

-- hide signature --

Regards, john from Melbourne, Australia.
(see profile for current gear)
Please do not embed images from my web site without prior permission
I consider this to be a breach of my copyright.
-- -- --
The Camera doth not make the Man (nor Woman) ...
Perhaps being kind to cats, dogs & children does ...
I am a Photography Aficionado ... and ...
"I don't have any problems with John. He is a crotchety old Aussie. He will smack you if you behave like a {deleted}. Goes with the territory." boggis the cat
Gallery: http://canopuscomputing.com.au/gallery2/v/main-page/

Bird Control Officers on active service.

John King's gear list:John King's gear list
Olympus E-1 Olympus E-510 Olympus E-30
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
eaa
eaa
Senior MemberPosts: 1,845Gear list
Like?

Kinda strange. This is one of my most used lenses, a versatile robust gem I simply cannot be without. But I guess things will change once we have a new PDAF compatible pro body by the end of the year. Looking forward to that, regardless of concept or type...

-- hide signature --
 eaa's gear list:eaa's gear list
Olympus E-5 Olympus E-M1 Olympus Zuiko Digital 35mm 1:3.5 Macro Olympus Zuiko Digital ED 50-200mm 1:2.8-3.5 SWD Olympus Zuiko Digital 14-54mm 1:2.8-3.5 +6 more
Messier Object
Like?
In reply to John King, Feb 12, 2013

John,

it maybe an old design but it's still $1800  retail in the US.  Maybe this really is the bottom of the 4/3 lens market

Peter

Olympus E-300 Olympus E-330 Olympus E-30 Olympus E-5 Canon EOS 5D Mark III +1 more
Messier Object
Like?
In reply to eaa, Feb 12, 2013

Hi Erik,

I've only read very good things about the 7-14mm here - comments like yours just now - so yes I too thought it's strange, and I just now found that Cameta in the US has a refurbished one going for just under $1,100.

The 9-18mm is my favourite for wide shooting so I never fealt a need for the 7-14mm.

Peter

osman moral
New MemberPosts: 9Gear list
Like?

Maybe it's because Cameta Camera has refurbs listed on ebay for $50 less with free shipping......

osman moral's gear list:osman moral's gear list
Olympus TG-610 Olympus E-30 Olympus Zuiko Digital ED 12-60mm 1:2.8-4.0 SWD Olympus Zuiko Digital 35mm 1:3.5 Macro Olympus Zuiko Digital ED 50-200mm 1:2.8-3.5 SWD +3 more
Craig from Nevada
Contributing MemberPosts: 637Gear list
Like?

The 7-14mm used goes for anywhere between $785 and $925 used.  I have been watching these prices closely.  The higher prices appear to be for lenses sold by reputable dealers.  Lower prices tend to be for private sellers.

The refurbished lenses from Cameta will probably drop a bit more.

goblin
Senior MemberPosts: 2,751Gear list
Like?

Messier Object wrote:

...it was taken out of the box occasionally to demonstrate for customers. We are authorized Olympus USA dealers. . . .

Besides the obvious Ebay variations (when was the sale expiring, how long was the sale, etc.), many people (me included) do not trust the "Taken out of the box occasionally" mantra.

I personally call these "Seller refurbs", and I stay away from those. An "occasional take out of the box" can just as well mean "took it out of the box and put it on a sunny shelf for three years", "BH took it out of the box, put it on display for six months to go through a gazillion of hands and then sold it to us..." or stuff like that (although a 7-14mm would rarely be on display anywhere, but a camera body might very well be).

While there is a full warranty, I personally still prefer the Refurbished by Olympus items Cameta (and others) sell. At least I know those come directly and fresh from Oly in Hauppauge, and I have had enough nice experiences with them (both refurbs and Oly repair) to buy those refurbs with my eyes closed. Yes, the warranty on those is only three months.

Last but not least - this specific sentence - "...it was taken out of the box occasionally to demonstrate for customers. We are authorized Olympus USA dealers..." specifically rings a bell to my Ebay accustomed ears.

This seller regularly sells "...taken out of the box to demonstrate for customers..." Olympus gear, at a rate which would warrant them taking Oly gear out of boxes and demonstrating for customers day in and day out. Not that it matters much, but it doesn't seem to me that THEY took it out of the box. They are getting those somewhere else, which makes it quite likely that the item's history is nearly impossible to track.

Long story short - Oly refurbs - yes, Seller refurbs - triple no. Then again, it's a matter of taste, full warranty is not something to sneeze at.

goblin's gear list:goblin's gear list
Ricoh GXR P10 28-300mm F3.5-5.6 VC Olympus E-1 Olympus E-3 Olympus E-330 Olympus E-400 +31 more
jkrumm
Veteran MemberPosts: 8,236
Like?

I bought mine for $1400 new a few years ago (Amazon sale). It's not surprising to me that it is selling used a fair bit lower now.

If you want to sell it on Ebay, be prepared to start it at bottom and watch the bidding go up from there. But the truth is the bidding might not go up very high, since there are less 4/3 users buying the lenses .My used GH2, on the other hand, actually sold close to what I paid for it new, thanks in part to the still growing interest in M43 (and the fact that the GH3 is so much more expensive).

-- hide signature --

John Krumm
Juneau, AK

Roger Engelken
Senior MemberPosts: 2,929Gear list
Like?

I was able to acquire a new in box, never opened copy of the lens late last year for that price.  A decent price to be sure, but since I already own a copy of this beautiful lens, I did not go for a second one.  

Roger Engelken's gear list:Roger Engelken's gear list
Olympus TG-830 iHS Olympus E-1 Olympus E-420 Olympus E-30 Olympus E-620 +22 more
esco
Senior MemberPosts: 1,780
Like?
unlikely
In reply to goblin, Feb 12, 2013

Because 4/3 market share is soo low the chances of coming across a demo item that has been abused is extremely rare imo especially today where even fewer retailers even carry 4/3's gear and if they do they'll carry maybe an e5 to try it out on. Even in photography mecca here in nyc where b&h is located I seldom ever see people trying out 4/3's gear, EVER. When i worked at a camera shop during the height of 4/3's, ONE person came to try out a lens during my 2yrs of working there. I reckon the employees played with the gear far more than the customers did, at least those who were even curious to try olympus in the first place.
When it comes to canikon gear though. . .much of it can pass through many hands as everyone is going to carry gear for those systems, there is more demand and canikon have a constant line-up of several bodies not to mention a huge 2nd hand market and so these lenses can possibly pass through many hands, many bodies and many demonstrations.
Anyway, if the place is reputable and offers a guarantee than really I see no reason to be paranoid. Life's too short to worry about stuff you have little control over.

-- hide signature --

Oldschool Evolt shooter

jimbeaux
Regular MemberPosts: 373
Like?
In reply to goblin, Feb 13, 2013

goblin wrote:

Messier Object wrote:

...it was taken out of the box occasionally to demonstrate for customers. We are authorized Olympus USA dealers. . . .

Besides the obvious Ebay variations (when was the sale expiring, how long was the sale, etc.), many people (me included) do not trust the "Taken out of the box occasionally" mantra.

I personally call these "Seller refurbs", and I stay away from those. An "occasional take out of the box" can just as well mean "took it out of the box and put it on a sunny shelf for three years", "BH took it out of the box, put it on display for six months to go through a gazillion of hands and then sold it to us..." or stuff like that (although a 7-14mm would rarely be on display anywhere, but a camera body might very well be).

While there is a full warranty, I personally still prefer the Refurbished by Olympus items Cameta (and others) sell. At least I know those come directly and fresh from Oly in Hauppauge, and I have had enough nice experiences with them (both refurbs and Oly repair) to buy those refurbs with my eyes closed. Yes, the warranty on those is only three months.

Last but not least - this specific sentence - "...it was taken out of the box occasionally to demonstrate for customers. We are authorized Olympus USA dealers..." specifically rings a bell to my Ebay accustomed ears.

This seller regularly sells "...taken out of the box to demonstrate for customers..." Olympus gear, at a rate which would warrant them taking Oly gear out of boxes and demonstrating for customers day in and day out. Not that it matters much, but it doesn't seem to me that THEY took it out of the box. They are getting those somewhere else, which makes it quite likely that the item's history is nearly impossible to track.

Long story short - Oly refurbs - yes, Seller refurbs - triple no. Then again, it's a matter of taste, full warranty is not something to sneeze at.

I agree. Oly refurbd = yes. I recently picked up a nice (looks like new) 35-100 refurb through Adorama.

Haider
Contributing MemberPosts: 974
Like?
In reply to Messier Object, Feb 14, 2013

You call £1K cheap8-( I'm in the wrong job...

Art_P
Veteran MemberPosts: 9,141Gear list
Like?
Well, if it's a demo
In reply to Messier Object, Feb 14, 2013

it's no longer really 'new'

-- hide signature --

Art P
"I am a creature of contrast,
of light and shadow.
I live where the two play together,
I thrive on the conflict"

Art_P's gear list:Art_P's gear list
Olympus OM-D E-M5 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 9-18mm 1:4.0-5.6 Panasonic Lumix G 14mm F2.5 ASPH Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 40-150mm 1:4-5.6 R Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 45mm 1:1.8 +2 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads