Minolta "Crossed X" 50mm 1.7 and 70-210 "Beercan"

Started Feb 12, 2013 | Discussions
StayClassy
Regular MemberPosts: 229Gear list
Like?
Minolta "Crossed X" 50mm 1.7 and 70-210 "Beercan"
Feb 12, 2013

Just bought a 50mm 1.7 and 70-210 "Beercan" off eBay, and when I was looking back at the post, both lenses had the crossed "x" logo on the front. I hear that these are rare? I bought both of them for $90 and they were in their box for years from what the seller told me. They actually come with their boxes.

-- hide signature --

When people ask me whether I'm a photographer, I tell them that I'm more of a time artist. After all, my art is my ability to freeze time and capture a moment forever.

StayClassy's gear list:StayClassy's gear list
Sony SLT-A99
cyainparadise
Veteran MemberPosts: 5,577
Like?
Re: Minolta "Crossed X" 50mm 1.7 and 70-210 "Beercan"
In reply to StayClassy, Feb 12, 2013

StayClassy wrote:

Just bought a 50mm 1.7 and 70-210 "Beercan" off eBay, and when I was looking back at the post, both lenses had the crossed "x" logo on the front. I hear that these are rare? I bought both of them for $90 and they were in their box for years from what the seller told me. They actually come with their boxes.

-- hide signature --

When people ask me whether I'm a photographer, I tell them that I'm more of a time artist. After all, my art is my ability to freeze time and capture a moment forever.

Rare, but not that much more valuable. You might be able to resell them at a small profit, or not.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
StayClassy
Like?
In reply to cyainparadise, Feb 12, 2013

cyainparadise wrote:

StayClassy wrote:

-- hide signature --

Rare, but not that much more valuable. You might be able to resell them at a small profit, or not.

Thanks mate

-- hide signature --

Sony SLT-A99
TomGallopavo
Regular MemberPosts: 427Gear list
Like?

I think Exxon sued over the use of the crossed x so the lens is the same, label slightly different.

TomGallopavo's gear list:TomGallopavo's gear list
Sony SLT-A77 Sony DT 35mm F1.8 SAM Sony DT 16-50mm F2.8 SSM +6 more
EarthQuake
Senior MemberPosts: 1,140Gear list
Like?

StayClassy wrote:

-- hide signature --

These are rare, and rarer yet in good working condition. These are from the first batch of lenses that Minolta made, as they were sued by Exxon shortly after(as mentioned by another poster as well).

What this really means is these lenses are as old as Minolta Maxxum AF lenses get, and the risk of getting one with oily blades or other defects is through the roof. I buy/sell camera gear on eBay professionally and my success rate with "XX" lenses is significantly lower than with the updated logo versions.

Because of this, if you get one that is legitimately in excellent condition with no functional issues, they are worth more. In box with manuals will be sought after by collectors, and you may be able to get as much as 50% more for them than a regular version.

$90 for the two is a very good price, a mint "XX" 50/1.7 in box could sell for $150, and a mint "XX" beercan in box could sell for $250, maybe even $300 if it really was in perfect condition. Its hard to find beercans in anything better than "very good" condition as most were well used throughout the years. So yeah, rarity and condition plays a big role in worth.

cplunk
Senior MemberPosts: 1,186Gear list
Like?
In reply to EarthQuake, Feb 12, 2013

I've had 2 or 3 crossed xx lenses, and at least 2 had a stuck aperture. And maybe a half dozen or more of the similar design "AF lens" logo'd first generation of Maxxum lenses (before the text on the side changed to just "AF") and only 1 sticky aperture out of those.

Of course, there's no difference between theses lenses and the non crossed xx's, other than being a very definite indication that they're amongst the oldest ones out there.  There's always some reference to people collecting them, and I'm aware some people do, but there not so rare that anyone collecting them doesn't already have one (or two or three).

$90 is a pretty good price for the pair, assuming they work. Wouldn't be a bad price for just the 70-210 f4. There pretty good lenses, and assume age hasn't caught up with them, I'm sure you'll be pleased with the results.

VirtualMirage
Senior MemberPosts: 2,332Gear list
Like?

I can agree about them being a higher risk of sticking blades.  I have a 50mm 1.7 with crossed X's sitting on my bookshelf that has sticky blades.  Even taking it apart to clean the blades didn't help, the oil kept seeping back in.

This particular lens came from my father's kit when he bought his Maxxum 7000 in the 80's when we were stationed in Okinawa.  Since the 7000 was released in 1985 and we moved back to the states in 1986, my guess is he bought it right when they released them. That makes my 50mm paperweight around 28 years old.  I liked the collapsible lens shade, clever idea.

-- hide signature --

Paul

VirtualMirage's gear list:VirtualMirage's gear list
Sony RX100 Sony SLT-A77 Sony a77 II Sony 50mm F1.4 Tokina AT-X Pro 11-16mm f/2.8 DX +23 more
StayClassy
Like?

EarthQuake wrote:

StayClassy wrote:

-- hide signature --

These are rare, and rarer yet in good working condition. These are from the first batch of lenses that Minolta made, as they were sued by Exxon shortly after(as mentioned by another poster as well).

What this really means is these lenses are as old as Minolta Maxxum AF lenses get, and the risk of getting one with oily blades or other defects is through the roof. I buy/sell camera gear on eBay professionally and my success rate with "XX" lenses is significantly lower than with the updated logo versions.

Because of this, if you get one that is legitimately in excellent condition with no functional issues, they are worth more. In box with manuals will be sought after by collectors, and you may be able to get as much as 50% more for them than a regular version.

$90 for the two is a very good price, a mint "XX" 50/1.7 in box could sell for $150, and a mint "XX" beercan in box could sell for $250, maybe even $300 if it really was in perfect condition. Its hard to find beercans in anything better than "very good" condition as most were well used throughout the years. So yeah, rarity and condition plays a big role in worth.

These were sitting in their boxes for years in a climate controlled storage facility so I'm really optimistic Thanks for the heads up, hopefully they're good!

-- hide signature --

Sony SLT-A99
BrewLab
Contributing MemberPosts: 600Gear list
Like?
In reply to StayClassy, Feb 13, 2013

Sounds like a great deal! I just picked up my first Beercan, too. Not a an XX, but mint in the box, also. Put it on my A57 and took it out for the first time last Sunday. I was pretty impressed, although I don't know how much I'll use it. Definitely a keeper though. I'll look forward to seeing  how it performs on your A99.

Here's a shot from last Sunday. Heavily cropped and processed in LR4, but still, not bad for $90...

210mm 1/400 f/8.0 ISO 640

Cheers!!

BrewLab's gear list:BrewLab's gear list
Sony Cyber-shot DSC-W150 Sony Cyber-shot DSC-H20 Sony SLT-A77 Tamron SP AF 17-50mm F/2.8 XR Di II LD Aspherical (IF) Sony DT 35mm F1.8 SAM
EarthQuake
Senior MemberPosts: 1,140Gear list
Like?
In reply to VirtualMirage, Feb 13, 2013

VirtualMirage wrote:

I can agree about them being a higher risk of sticking blades. I have a 50mm 1.7 with crossed X's sitting on my bookshelf that has sticky blades. Even taking it apart to clean the blades didn't help, the oil kept seeping back in.

This particular lens came from my father's kit when he bought his Maxxum 7000 in the 80's when we were stationed in Okinawa. Since the 7000 was released in 1985 and we moved back to the states in 1986, my guess is he bought it right when they released them. That makes my 50mm paperweight around 28 years old. I liked the collapsible lens shade, clever idea.

-- hide signature --

Paul

Yeah, you need to completely disassemble it, remove the blades and clean each blade, or stick the aperture assembly in an ultrasonic cleaner(I've done it both ways successfully) or the oil will come right back. Be sure to clean all the areas near the aperture assembly to keep the oil from seeping back in. Make sure everything is absolutely 100% dry as well.

There's a great guide here: http://www.pbase.com/pganzel/disassembly_repair_of_maxxum_50mm_lens

VirtualMirage
Senior MemberPosts: 2,332Gear list
Like?
In reply to EarthQuake, Feb 13, 2013

EarthQuake wrote:

VirtualMirage wrote:

I can agree about them being a higher risk of sticking blades. I have a 50mm 1.7 with crossed X's sitting on my bookshelf that has sticky blades. Even taking it apart to clean the blades didn't help, the oil kept seeping back in.

This particular lens came from my father's kit when he bought his Maxxum 7000 in the 80's when we were stationed in Okinawa. Since the 7000 was released in 1985 and we moved back to the states in 1986, my guess is he bought it right when they released them. That makes my 50mm paperweight around 28 years old. I liked the collapsible lens shade, clever idea.

-- hide signature --

Paul

Yeah, you need to completely disassemble it, remove the blades and clean each blade, or stick the aperture assembly in an ultrasonic cleaner(I've done it both ways successfully) or the oil will come right back. Be sure to clean all the areas near the aperture assembly to keep the oil from seeping back in. Make sure everything is absolutely 100% dry as well.

There's a great guide here: http://www.pbase.com/pganzel/disassembly_repair_of_maxxum_50mm_lens

Yep, that's the guide I used.  The only thing I couldn't do was the ultrasonic cleaner method like you suggested.

-- hide signature --

Paul

VirtualMirage's gear list:VirtualMirage's gear list
Sony RX100 Sony SLT-A77 Sony a77 II Sony 50mm F1.4 Tokina AT-X Pro 11-16mm f/2.8 DX +23 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads