Sony DSC-RX10

Started Feb 12, 2013 | Discussions
dwightlooi
New MemberPosts: 12
Like?
Sony DSC-RX10
Feb 12, 2013

WARNING: THIS IS FICTION

All trademarks and copyrighted symbols are used only to deliver a fair illustration

The contents herein has no commercial intent or purpose

Honestly, I believe that the DSC-RX1 is too expensive and out of reach of most prosumers. In the old days, you might splurge for a Leica which one cannot comfortably afford knowing that in a decade or two, it'll still be the camera you most desire. Film was the great constant for 50 years. Today, you can spend $10K and the image sensor is still obsolete in 2~3 years.

The DSC-RX100 on the other hand is too compromised. The sensor is too small and, frankly, I don't care for a zoom lens when imaging quality is a priority. An APS-C sensor and a lens that covers it's frame size is not that big. It is possible to have a $999~1299 camera (50~100% more than the DSC-RX100) with a Zeiss T* prime lens and the same APS-C sensor off of the $699 A65 SLT.

This is what I'll do if I am Sony...

http://img534.imageshack.us/img534/667/dscrx10.jpg

DSC-RX10 -- 24.3MP APS-C Exmor HD Sensor w/ Carl Zeiss Planar T* 2/30

• The Camera only has one button and one capacitive touch screen
  • Flipping open the front cover turns the camera on / closing it shuts it off
  • With the front cover closed, pressing and holding the shutter button enables images review
  • Aperture Settings are Auto - 2 - 2.8 - 4 - 5.6 - 8 - 11 - 16 - 22
  • Shutter Settings are Auto - 1000 - 500 - 250 - 125 - 60 - 30 - 15 - B
  • Auto - Auto = Program Mode
  • Drive Modes = Still Continuous-Low - Still Continuous-High - Still 10 Sec Delay - Video 1080P
  • Flash Modes = Auto - Off - On - Red Eye - Wireless
  • Menu allows access to ISO, White Balance, Steady Shot, Compression and Focus Mode settings
  • Storage is one Memory Stick Pro
  • Battery is is internal (ala iPad) and recharged via the USB cable)
  • There is a screw thread on the underside for a tripod
  • The Camera can wirelessly trigger a remote HVL-F58AM flash if desired
-- hide signature --

Because good enough is simply not good enough.

Sony SLT-A65
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Docno
Veteran MemberPosts: 4,074Gear list
Like?
What sort of pocket will that fit it?
In reply to dwightlooi, Feb 12, 2013

I like the creative design, but it doesn't look all that practical. The appeal of the RX100 (which I own) is that you can get near DSLR quality images from something you can literally take anywhere (in a pants pocket or handbag). The appeal of the RX1 is that it gives you full-frame image quality (including a Zeiss lens) in something that can at least fit in a jacket pocket or knapsack, doesn't break your back, and doesn't attract a whole lot of attention when you're trying to be discrete. The downsides of both cameras is that they lack a grip so they're not so easy to hold (though you can at least buy a third party grip for the RX100 now).

Your design looks interesting as a concept. But, other than the APS-C sensor, it doesn't seem to have the portability of the RX1 and RX100 and it certainly would attract attention    It also doesn't look like it would be easy to hold. But that's only my take ... I may be way off.

Docno's gear list:Docno's gear list
Sony RX100 Sony RX1 Sony Alpha DSLR-A900 Sony Alpha NEX-7
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
dwightlooi
Like?
Re: What sort of pocket will that fit it?
In reply to Docno, Feb 12, 2013

It's more or less a 2" cube. So it is smaller in every dimension than an RX-1 (2.55") is slim. Think of a 35mm P&S from the film days. Take that lens and build a box around it.

It'll be like holding a loupe, except it's a camera!

BTW, the idea is that the lens is completely fixed. There are no moving parts. The sensor itself is moved back and forth by about 7~8 mm to achieve focus.

-- hide signature --

dwightlooi
Like?
Re: Sony DSC-RX10 -- SIZE

BTW, the size is 50 x 50 x 50 mm -- 1.97" x 1.97" x 1.97"

-- hide signature --

Docno
Veteran MemberPosts: 4,074Gear list
Like?

dwightlooi wrote:

It's more or less a 2" cube. So it is smaller in every dimension than an RX-1 (2.55") is slim. Think of a 35mm P&S from the film days. Take that lens and build a box around it.

It'll be like holding a loupe, except it's a camera!

BTW, the idea is that the lens is completely fixed. There are no moving parts. The sensor itself is moved back and forth by about 7~8 mm to achieve focus.

-- hide signature --

Interesting thought experiment. I'm not an engineer so I can comment on whether it would be possible to put an APS-C sensor and decent lens in a box of that size. [And even at that size, carrying it in my jeans pocket is still ruled out ... would keep my RX100 for casual shooting]. I still have a problem with the cube shape. Not sure that it would be possible to hold steadily ... what do you think. And is there an increased danger of dropping it?

Docno's gear list:Docno's gear list
Sony RX100 Sony RX1 Sony Alpha DSLR-A900 Sony Alpha NEX-7
dwightlooi
Like?
In reply to Docno, Feb 12, 2013

Well, think of it this way...

The main problem most compact cameras -- especially the very small ones -- have with grip is that the grip axis and the shutter release axis is at 90 degrees. You have to pinch the camera horizontally while depressing the shutter release vertically. This is particularly difficult to do with one hand. Even with two, many compact camera users end up pinching the camera with one hand vertically while depressing the shutter vertically with the other. Because of how slim they are, this usually means two fingers on each hand.

The Cube shape is that is 50mm across is intended for one handed operation with the thumb, index and 4th finger pinching to hold the camera. This leaves the first finger free to depress the shutter release. The other hand can be used to operated the touch controls when needed or support the cube from the side when free.

-- hide signature --

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads