Wow!! My first run in with Canikon snob...

Started Feb 11, 2013 | Discussions
rpenmanparker
Contributing MemberPosts: 569
Like?
Re: Wow!! My first run in with Canikon snob...
In reply to clignus, Feb 13, 2013

clignus wrote:

Just based on comments I have read while occasionally perusing the Canon and Nikon fora/forums I have wondered if there may be a growing number of Canon and Nikon users that also own a NEX? Probably just coincidence that I have seen a number of these and not representative of the complete Nikon/Canon cohort but it has peeked my curiosity.

No offense intended, but you may like to know that it is piqued, not "peeked".  We don't see that one very often, do we?

Robert

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
jpsphotos
New MemberPosts: 11
Like?
In reply to BrewLab, Feb 13, 2013

I was shooting recently with some Canikon folks and they caught me looking through my viewfinder to review my shots, which is much better than the screen imo. They asked, how can you review your shots in the viewfinder? My answer, "you mean you can't?" LOL So, I let them look and drool...

clignus
Forum MemberPosts: 89Gear list
Like?
In reply to rpenmanparker, Feb 13, 2013

No offense taken.  I usually have to wait 24 hours to proof my own text effectively.

Thanks

clignus's gear list:clignus's gear list
Sony Cyber-shot DSC-F717 Sony SLT-A77
gooseta
Contributing MemberPosts: 707Gear list
Like?
In reply to jpsphotos, Feb 13, 2013

I've experienced the same with my previous sony and my Pentax. Shooting in Salzburg yesterday with loads of amerian tourists flaunting their 5diis, One with a D7000 said *Ultra sarcasm*"Hey nice pentax; yea I heard they sell REAL well. I replied "Nice kit lens *smug axhole face*

-- hide signature --

Angad S. aka gooseta
LBA and CBA haunt me.
angadsrin.zenfolio.com
K5iis with DA 17-70/4, 35/2.4, M 50/1.7, Tamron 70-200/2.8, Sigma 70/2.8 macro
Sigma DP1 MERRILL WOOHOO
Isold the sony stuff!

gooseta's gear list:gooseta's gear list
Pentax K-3 Pentax smc DA 17-70mm F4.0 AL (IF) SDM Pentax smc DA* 300mm F4.0 ED (IF) SDM Sigma 70mm F2.8 EX DG Macro Sigma 8-16mm F4.5-5.6 DC HSM +1 more
Dédéjr
Regular MemberPosts: 491Gear list
Like?
Klispen my friend
In reply to Klipsen, Feb 13, 2013

Don't shoot nikon so..And where is the skill in spray and pray???

Dédéjr's gear list:Dédéjr's gear list
Pentax K-5 Pentax smc DA 40mm F2.8 Limited Pentax smc DA 70mm F2.4 AL Limited Pentax smc DA 35mm F2.8 Macro Limited
Dédéjr
Like?
jpsphotos
In reply to jpsphotos, Feb 13, 2013

Yep you showed them well done....

Pentax K-5 Pentax smc DA 40mm F2.8 Limited Pentax smc DA 70mm F2.4 AL Limited Pentax smc DA 35mm F2.8 Macro Limited
BrewLab
Contributing MemberPosts: 603Gear list
Like?
Re: Just a little follow up...
In reply to BrewLab, Feb 13, 2013

First, in retrospect, I probably could have worded the title to this thread differently. Perhaps, "My first experience with camera bias" or something similar. Given that and the fact that this thread is getting longer, some newcomers may not have read all that was posted earlier, so I just want to say again that I have no issue with any particular brand. As much fun as it is discussing and comparing gear, at the end of the day it's all about the photos, and I think we all can agree on that.

There are certainly "snobs" associated with every brand and without knowing the context of my interaction with the aforementioned a**hat, my response could be perceived as no better than his initial comment. But I'm being honest when I say his tone raised my ire a bit. Generally, I try and diffuse things with humor, as in this case. It didn't work too well with my ex-wife, and I don't know if it did or didn't with this guy, but it gave me a chuckle rather than stand there being angry, and I thought it might give other folks a chuckle, too, so I passed the story along.

To those who have mentioned the 12fps burst, that was meant more as an exclamation point to my (what I thought was) humorous retort, not necessarily an example of the old "spray and pray". And although I don't use it all the time, it certainly does have it's purpose and can be used quite effectively. Like they say, "Better to have it and not need it, then need it and not have it."

I'm glad to see some Canon, Pentax and Nikon shooters on here, too. It's been great fun reading everybody's stories and hopefully nobody's feathers got too ruffled in the process. That certainly wasn't my intent.

And for the record, I do have a couple of friends that are Canon shooters and a couple that shoot Nikon, one of whom I KNOW thinks his camera is better than mine...LOL! Who knows...maybe he's right

Cheers!!

BrewLab's gear list:BrewLab's gear list
Sony Cyber-shot DSC-W150 Sony Cyber-shot DSC-H20 Sony SLT-A77 Tamron SP AF 17-50mm F/2.8 XR Di II LD Aspherical (IF) Sony DT 35mm F1.8 SAM
BrewLab
Contributing MemberPosts: 603Gear list
Like?
In reply to gooseta, Feb 13, 2013

gooseta wrote:

I've experienced the same with my previous sony and my Pentax. Shooting in Salzburg yesterday with loads of amerian tourists flaunting their 5diis, One with a D7000 said *Ultra sarcasm*"Hey nice pentax; yea I heard they sell REAL well. I replied "Nice kit lens *smug axhole face*

-- hide signature --

Angad S. aka gooseta
LBA and CBA haunt me.
angadsrin.zenfolio.com
K5iis with DA 17-70/4, 35/2.4, M 50/1.7, Tamron 70-200/2.8, Sigma 70/2.8 macro
Sigma DP1 MERRILL WOOHOO
Isold the sony stuff!

Hey, welcome back. So how are you liking your new system? My first SLR was a Pentax and I've always like them. Also,I was never clear on why you switched. Not that it matters...just curious.

Trevor

BrewLab's gear list:BrewLab's gear list
Sony Cyber-shot DSC-W150 Sony Cyber-shot DSC-H20 Sony SLT-A77 Tamron SP AF 17-50mm F/2.8 XR Di II LD Aspherical (IF) Sony DT 35mm F1.8 SAM
Ionian
Senior MemberPosts: 1,259
Like?
In reply to PixelRope, Feb 13, 2013

PixelRope wrote:

Best one ever is I was snapping a few photos here and there at a friends wedding, and the photog told me to "get out of the way and let the pros handle it". My photos are in the collage on their mantle, not the ones he took with all the expensive equipment - those are in books in a closet.

But he got paid for his photos, you didn't regardless of where they ended up.  He still wins.

-- hide signature --

'...For every man who has ever lived, in this universe,
there shines a star.'
-Arthur C. Clarke
-------------------------------------------
My gallery: http://www.frankperri.com/g/index.html
Why is it that the people with the biggest and most conspicuous watermarks have the photos least worth stealing?

I instantly disregard any thread or poster that use the words 'Tack Sharp'.

'Can't help it, I am a Barry fanboy.' - gpr2020 (a.k.a. mzd), Sept. 3, 2009

If you don't know, then you can't know.

eddyshoots
Senior MemberPosts: 2,174
Like?
Re: Klispen my friend
In reply to Dédéjr, Feb 14, 2013

Dédéjr wrote:

Don't shoot nikon so..And where is the skill in spray and pray???

Not skill per se but sometimes it's hard to time the exact moment when a 40 mph duck, 100 yards out, might decide to blink.

-- hide signature --

eddyshoots

njralston
Forum MemberPosts: 82Gear list
Like?
In reply to njralston, Feb 15, 2013

njralston wrote:

JimmyMelbourne wrote:

Im considering the same lenses, how do you find the 16 35 on the a77?

Don't know yet. I take delivery on my A77 and 16-35 Zeiss the end of this week. The Canon 16-35 f/2.8L II was a VERY good lens on my 7D. However, I fully expect the Zeiss on an A77 to knock it's socks off. Looking forward to it.

-- hide signature --

Aloha, Bud

I got the A77 and SAL-70400G and SAL1635Z lenses yesterday. I took them out for a test run this morning.  All I can say is WOW!  Both are considerably better than the Canon lenses I just sold.  Of course the A77 has a lot more going for it than the 7D.  I'm looking forward to being as familiar with the A77 settings as I was with my 7D.  My guess is I will be bringing home a lot more keepers in the future.

-- hide signature --

Aloha, Bud

Rab G
Regular MemberPosts: 382
Like?
A photographer is......
In reply to BrewLab, Feb 15, 2013

Well having only a humble little Sony SLT A37 with 18-55mm & a Tamron 70-300mm zoom I would have said to him.
A PHOTOGRAPHER is a person NOT the equipment, if he said anything after that I would have said well we both have been taking pictures lets compare results.
It would have been interesting if you had compared results, this place like all internet forums has members that judge their skill and others by their budget, biggest is not always best.

I will give a link to an image from another site   Amateur v NASA

http://www.petapixel.com/2013/02/13/photographer-captures-detailed-photos-of-the-sun-from-his-backyard/

The photographer on the above link has a tiny fraction of the budget NASA has spent on the SOHO Satellite that monitors the Sun are his results any less impressive than NASA's.

Klipsen
Veteran MemberPosts: 6,084Gear list
Like?
Re: Klispen my friend
In reply to Dédéjr, Feb 15, 2013

Dédéjr wrote:

Don't shoot nikon so..

That's hardly relevant to this subject. The F2H was certainly not a camera designed for unskilled photographers.

And where is the skill in spray and pray???

I've heard there's an old fighter pilot adage: "I'd rather be lucky than good". You may think that your skills will enable you to press the shutter at just the right moment when the winner of a 100 m dash crosses the finish line, but those runners move at 10 metres per second, so even at 12 fps they move almost 1 metre between shots.

Just because a camera is able to shoot at 12 fps ... you don't have to do so. But as the French say: "Qui peut le plus, peut le moins", i.e. "He who can do more can also do less", so look at the positive sides.

-- hide signature --

Ceterum censeo soleam calidam ISO esse delendam.

Klipsen's gear list:Klipsen's gear list
Sony Alpha DSLR-A700 Sony Alpha DSLR-A900 Sony Alpha NEX-7 Sony E 18-55mm F3.5-5.6 OSS Sony 70-200mm F2.8 G +16 more
Dédéjr
Like?
bien sur mon cher Klispen
In reply to Klipsen, Feb 15, 2013

On dit aussi pourquoi faire compliquer quand on peut faire simple.

Enfin c'est sur qu'en avoir 12 ou 14 fps est pas negligible.

bon soiree

GeraldW
Veteran MemberPosts: 6,170Gear list
Like?
In reply to BrewLab, Feb 16, 2013

A long time ago, I found that people who choose a certain brand based on what they feel are good reasons will defend that choice as if they were religious zealots.  It seems to boil down to preserving their self image - as in I couldn't possibly be wrong.

Over many years, I've had many cameras of different brands - as in SLR's from Pentax, Ricoh, Nikon, Minolta, and Olympus and DSLR's from Canon and Nikon.  I'm currently looking seriously at a Sony SLT-57.  Along the way, I've had folks sneer at one of my cameras or another- but never anything as rude and full of himself as your encounter.

I guess A-holes exist in all venues.  The worst I ever encountered personally was on a ski lift.  He had all the "best" gear and was spending the ride denigrating my gear and pointing out how wonderfull his was.  At the top he fell off the chair and they had to stop the lift to disengage him.  I didn't stay to watch and just skiied off down the mountain on my "inferior" skis.

-- hide signature --

Jerry

GeraldW's gear list:GeraldW's gear list
Canon PowerShot A710 IS Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ200 Canon PowerShot G15
Klipsen
Veteran MemberPosts: 6,084Gear list
Like?
Re: bien sur mon cher Klispen
In reply to Dédéjr, Feb 16, 2013

Dédéjr wrote:

On dit aussi pourquoi faire compliquer quand on peut faire simple.

N'est-ce pas "faire compliqué"? Sinon, "simple" devrait être "simplifier", non?

Enfin c'est sur qu'en avoir 12 ou 14 fps est pas negligible.

12 ou 14 ips, 10 ou 12 ips, 8 ou 10 ips, 6 ou 8 ips, 4 ou 6 ips - quelle est la différence? Enfin, 4 ou 14 ips, quelle est la différence? Si l'on sait ce qu'on fait, il suffit d'un seul image, n'est-ce pas?

bon soiree

Bonne soirée à toi aussi

D'ailleurs, c'est Klipsen, et non Klispen

-- hide signature --

Ceterum censeo soleam calidam ISO esse delendam.

Klipsen's gear list:Klipsen's gear list
Sony Alpha DSLR-A700 Sony Alpha DSLR-A900 Sony Alpha NEX-7 Sony E 18-55mm F3.5-5.6 OSS Sony 70-200mm F2.8 G +16 more
Dédéjr
Like?
Re: bien sur mon cher Klispen
In reply to Klipsen, Feb 16, 2013

Ha ha oui c'est vrai mais je suis nul en orthographe, cela dit je ssuis anglophone de naissance et puis j'ai jamais pris de cours de francais malgre le fait que je vit ici en france, mea culpa.

Pour le terminologie photographique en france je ne le connais pas trop, et parfois ils utilise l'anglais!!!!!

Enfin je radote je sais mais fps ou ips si on veut!! C'est utile j'en ai utiliser mais voila mitrailler a la fin, n'importe qui peut le faire.

André

Bonne journee

realgeek
Senior MemberPosts: 1,183
Like?
Re: It happens in both directions ...
In reply to RichV, Feb 16, 2013

RichV wrote:

There are snobs in all camps; at least they're good for occasional entertainment - and worth my own self-reflection!

I'm not saying that Sony users are any better than anyone else, but I doubt there are very many Sony snobs who look down on Canikon users.  We're the underdogs, after all.

Perhaps overcompensaters, but not snobs.

GuyMcKie
Contributing MemberPosts: 535
Like?
In reply to GeraldW, Feb 17, 2013

A talented artist can use any tool. Some artists are photographers, but not all photographers are artists.

contadorfan
Contributing MemberPosts: 876Gear list
Like?
In reply to GuyMcKie, Feb 17, 2013

GuyMcKie wrote:

A talented artist can use any tool. Some artists are photographers, but not all photographers are artists.

I just saw "W. Eugene Smith & the Jazz Loft Project" at the Center for Creative Photography in Tucson. That exhibited really hammered home that it's the photographer, not the gear: amazing low light photography with primitive (compared to today) equipment. I'll keep that in mind as I continue to venture forth with my little Sony a330.

Smith was a genius, a giant among the greats.  Although he favored Leicas with Canon lenses for a while in the 50s, he wasn't wedded to any particular system or type of camera over the course of his career:

http://www.rangefinderforum.com/forums/archive/index.php/t-83829.html

contadorfan's gear list:contadorfan's gear list
Tamron SP 70-300mm F/4-5.6 Di VC USD
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads