Wow!! My first run in with Canikon snob...

Started Feb 11, 2013 | Discussions
Joe M.
Regular MemberPosts: 499Gear list
Like?
Re: Wow!! My first run in with Canikon snob...
In reply to BrewLab, Feb 12, 2013

Great Comeback.

I would have probably said, " OH YEAH. WELL, WELL, YOUR MOMA"  I am terrible at comebacks....

I was once taking Photos of a Local Fire Dept a group shot.  I asked them what size print they wanted, They told me the Largest I could print.  Well I decided a 11x17 would be sufficient enough.  They were having someone else mat and frame it and was going to give it to the Chief that was retiring.  They had someone else make a brass embossed plate a Thank You for all his years of service.

So I told them I wouldn't charge them except for the ink I was going to use.  I figured I would use my Epson 1280 Printer and I charged them I think $50 or so I can't remember exactly.  The only pro camera I had back then was the D770 which you all know was a 1.5mp camera.  I had just purchased a 7mp P/S Cybershot can't remember the model number W series I think.  My F707 I could have used, but after doing some test shots with the W P/S made some panos with it I figured it would do fine higher MP for the Pano and a nice Sunny Bright Day.  So I charged the Batteries up and the next day took some shots.  Well the Fire Dept is right next to literally a few steps away from the police dept.  I had all the fire crew stand infront of the Large Ladder Firetruck which was parked parallel infront of the Firestation showing the Name of the City Fire Station.  I started to take photos, well a Barney Fife walked out of the station and asked what kinda of camera that was using, I said a Sony.  He said you want to see his camera I said sure.  Now he brought out a Nikon or Canon I honestly couldn't remember and it was one of the $4000 or $5000 units.  He said now that's a camera I said yeah true but so is this one, I asked is that your personal camera he explained no it is the dept's.  I said oh so you didn't buy it the Tax Payers did he chuckled abit and said yeah I guess.  I left it at that.  I told the Firefighters in the Station.  Remember it isn't the Size of your lens its how you use it, most thought it was funny except the one Female Firefighter on duty.  I went home and printed the photo and dropped it off at the Framers and they said it looked great and thanked me.  I also gave them a CD with Every Photo I took Free of Charge. Which I had done the last time I took photos of them during a Controlled House Burn I used my D770 then.

Thanks

Joe

Joe M.'s gear list:Joe M.'s gear list
Sony Cyber-shot DSC-TX20 Sony Cyber-shot DSC-R1 Sony Cyber-shot DSC-HX200V Sony Cyber-shot DSC-S85 Sony Cyber-shot DSC-HX300 +8 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
marike6
Senior MemberPosts: 5,070Gear list
Like?
Re: I should mention...
In reply to BrewLab, Feb 13, 2013

BrewLab wrote:

that I did have a pleasant conversation with an elderly gentleman that was shooting a Nikon. About birds, though...he didn't seem the least bit interested in my camera. However, on his way back to where his wife was standing, he walked by the other guy and said, "Canon, huh?", shrugged and kept walking. Too much. I had no idea Sunday fowl shooting was so competitive..lol! Guess that's what happens when there's no football to watch. Oh, well. I hope everyone was as happy with their shots as I was with mine

Cheers!!

I was going to mention that in general Nikon shooters are much nicer than Canon users.

But seriously, I think you'll find that in any creative field, whether it's music, photography, fine arts, drama, et al, there is a lot of silly competitive nastiness that goes along with the territory.  Often it's people who are insecure that feel they need to constantly prove they are "the real deal". And to do that often means some feeble attempt to knock someone else down a peg, like the jerk tried to do with you.  The irony is that it's usually the people with the most talent and experience that are the most helpful and humble and vice versa.

All the big four (and others) make superb gear.  Just enjoy it, make the best images you can, and leave all the "mine is better than yours" BS to the clowns who have time for such foolishness.

All the best, and happy shooting, Markus

marike6's gear list:marike6's gear list
Nikon Coolpix P330 Nikon D800 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH2 Fujifilm X-E1 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/4G ED VR +7 more
njralston
Forum MemberPosts: 82Gear list
Like?
In reply to JimmyMelbourne, Feb 13, 2013

JimmyMelbourne wrote:

Im considering the same lenses, how do you find the 16 35 on the a77?

Don't know yet.  I take delivery on my A77 and 16-35 Zeiss the end of this week.  The Canon 16-35 f/2.8L II was a VERY good lens on my 7D.  However, I fully expect the Zeiss on an A77 to knock it's socks off.  Looking forward to it.

-- hide signature --

Aloha, Bud

Shield3
Senior MemberPosts: 2,440Gear list
Like?
In reply to NancyP, Feb 13, 2013

NancyP wrote:

The guy with the Big White is an idiot. That 12 fps is a really tempting option, and the best any Canon can do is 10 fps (1DX).

The 1DX actually does 12FPS in full manual mode, unlike the A77 that requires the aperture to be fixed @ F/5.6.  The 1DX will do 14FPS in "Super Speed Mode" similar to the a77's mode.

The 1DX has a much larger buffer too.  Please, check your facts before posting.

Plus, the Sony sensors are top of the charts now, with 1-2-3 spots occupied by Sony sensors in Nikon cameras, and #4 spot occupied by Sony sensor in Sony A99 camera. Canon's own sensors are trailing the Sony made ones in dynamic range.

Carrying a Canikon camera doesn't make you a good photographer, it makes you a Canikon owner. In my case, a Canon owner (DSLR) and a Sigma owner (mirrorless).

Shield3's gear list:Shield3's gear list
Canon EOS 5D Mark III Canon EF 135mm f/2.0L USM Canon EF 70-200mm f/2.8L IS II USM Canon EF 85mm f/1.2L II USM Canon EF 24-70mm f/4L IS USM +2 more
Nikcan
Senior MemberPosts: 1,320Gear list
Like?

BrewLab wrote:

First, let me preface this by saying that, although I am a Sony guy, I am of the belief that in the right hands, all the major brands will make amazing images and I couldn't care less what other folks shoot if it makes them happy. I just thought this little experience was rather funny. Having said that...

I was shooting birds at a local refuge yesterday, minding my own business, when a guy with a Canon and a big white lens looked at me and says, "Sony, huh? Just make sure you don't take that around any real photographers." HUH?!? So I responded, "Well, change is scary. BTW, at least you're smart enough to admit you're not a real photographer." Then I fired off 12fps as a duck zipped past us. LOL!!

That was my first real life experience with the Canikon bias. Unbelievable. Rather than ask about my camera, talk shop or even better....just say nothing...he chose to bash both my gear AND my photography skills in one fell swoop. I didn't want to believe it, but they're really out there.

Trevor

He, he,

What a plonker, I used to be a Nikon shooter until the weight got to me. hence the forum name. This reminds me of my trip to Key West a few years ago.

The chap next to me had a big white lens and got all set up with his tripod as the sun went down and then started to get annoyed that he was in the wrong place as the sun drifted to the right and went behind the land out to sea thus he lost the effect on the water. As he started to scream I shouted at him to look at the cloud formation above that had appeared as the sun disappeared from view, it was amazing but he just packed up his gear and went off in a temper

Best Regards Mike.
http://michaelgoodes.blogspot.com/
http://ekim.zenfolio.com
'Live every day as if it was your last, one day it will be'.

Nikcan's gear list:Nikcan's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH3 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH2 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX7 Panasonic Lumix G 20mm F1.7 ASPH Panasonic Lumix G Vario 7-14mm F4 ASPH +7 more
MediaArchivist
Senior MemberPosts: 1,244Gear list
Like?
In reply to Shield3, Feb 13, 2013

Shield3 wrote:

The 1DX actually does 12FPS in full manual mode, unlike the A77 that requires the aperture to be fixed @ F/5.6.

One of the great things about these forums is how much you can learn. In particular, the hidden nuggets of knowledge that are posted-- by real people actually using the cameras. These are the gems that go beyond the manuals, and beyond the hype.

I was not aware that the a77 was limited to f/5.6 in 12fps burst mode. This is one of those gems-- it is certainly not in the manual. Nonetheless, I could not help but remember that I had used it in that mode at a wider f/stop. But, here I am, reading this thread. How do I know my recollection is in error? Because right after reading in a post that the aperture is fixed at f/5.6, it is emphasized that one should "check your facts before posting."

I am at a loss to explain why, when attaching a f/1.4 lens to my a77, I was able to burst 12fps at f/1.4. How can this be? In continuous AF as well as manual focus. In auto ISO mode, as well as ISO 800. Aperture priority or shutter priority. All at f/1.4.

Please, check your facts before posting.

Indeed.

MediaArchivist's gear list:MediaArchivist's gear list
Sony SLT-A99 Sigma 50mm F1.4 EX DG HSM Sony 24mm F2 SSM Carl Zeiss Distagon T* Sony 135mm F2.8 (T4.5) STF Sigma 35mm F1.4 DG HSM +16 more
TrojMacReady
Senior MemberPosts: 8,534
Like?
Fact check
In reply to Shield3, Feb 13, 2013

Shield3 wrote:

NancyP wrote:

The guy with the Big White is an idiot. That 12 fps is a really tempting option, and the best any Canon can do is 10 fps (1DX).

The 1DX actually does 12FPS in full manual mode, unlike the A77 that requires the aperture to be fixed @ F/5.6. The 1DX will do 14FPS in "Super Speed Mode" similar to the a77's mode.

The 1DX has a much larger buffer too. Please, check your facts before posting.

The 14 fps mode on the 1DX is not similar to the 12 fps mode on the A77. Unlike the A77, the 1DX loses AF and only allows jpegs (no RAW).

With continuous AF and RAW, both top out at 12 fps.

Dédéjr
Regular MemberPosts: 491Gear list
Like?
12 fps ha ha ha

Cause spray and pray is what "real photographers" do eh??? Guess i missed that memo...

No but serouisly man, the other stuff was good up until the 12 fps part.

Dédéjr's gear list:Dédéjr's gear list
Pentax K-5 Pentax smc DA 35mm F2.8 Macro Limited Pentax smc DA 40mm F2.8 Limited Pentax smc DA 70mm F2.4 AL Limited
nzmacro
Forum ProPosts: 10,034Gear list
Like?
Ah ha
In reply to Dédéjr, Feb 13, 2013

Dédéjr wrote:

Cause spray and pray is what "real photographers" do eh??? Guess i missed that memo...

Bird in flight shooter. How about sports ??

All the best and we are all different, except I only shoot at 10 fps, LOL.

Danny.

-- hide signature --
 nzmacro's gear list:nzmacro's gear list
Sony Mavica CD1000 +11 more
Dédéjr
Regular MemberPosts: 491Gear list
Like?
Re: Ah ha
In reply to nzmacro, Feb 13, 2013

Yes I was a bit tongue in cheek there... still it does get silly sometimes especially on a practically all male forum like this, metaphor for who has the bigges d... eh?? Lol

Dédéjr's gear list:Dédéjr's gear list
Pentax K-5 Pentax smc DA 35mm F2.8 Macro Limited Pentax smc DA 40mm F2.8 Limited Pentax smc DA 70mm F2.4 AL Limited
JimmyMelbourne
Senior MemberPosts: 1,997Gear list
Like?
In reply to njralston, Feb 13, 2013

Nice, would be interested in your thoughts once they arrive. Congrats on your new equipment.

JimmyMelbourne's gear list:JimmyMelbourne's gear list
Sony Alpha DSLR-A300 Sony SLT-A77 Sony SLT-A37 NEX5R Sony DT 18-250mm F3.5-6.3 +18 more
Lawrence W
Regular MemberPosts: 311Gear list
Like?
In reply to Miike Dougherty, Feb 13, 2013

My wife and I went for an Alaska trip Last summer. On a day cruise from Seward, we were with lots of Canikon big guns. Then we saw humpbacks jumping out of the water, and you hear all shutters click click click. At the end of that cruise, we all share the shots we took. "Look, this lady got the best shot!" They were referring to my wife using a relatively cheap gear, A57+Tamron 200-500. The big gunners kept looking through their files but could not find anything better. I think Sony's continuous shooting speed, with a bit of luck and skill got her the winning shot of the day. But ALL were friendly, no matter what equipment they use. I had a Nikon, but missed the shot as I was changing for a longer lens!

Lawrence W's gear list:Lawrence W's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-LX5 Olympus OM-D E-M5 Panasonic Lumix DMC-G5 Olympus PEN E-PM2 Nikon D7100 +9 more
jeffharris
Veteran MemberPosts: 4,823Gear list
Like?

That was my first real life experience with the Canikon bias. Unbelievable.

I feel your pain….

I shoot Micro Four Thirds and was at B&H yesterday buying a Panasonic GX1 body (on sale!) to augment my GH2.

The sales guy asks: "What camera do you have now?"

I was carrying my GH2 with a Voigtländer 35mm f1.4 lens and showed it to him.

"You shoot video, then…"

Nope. Then he gave me this condescending look.

Yep, asshats are everywhere.

jeffharris's gear list:jeffharris's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX7 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 7-14mm F4 ASPH Voigtlander Nokton 25mm F0.95 Voigtlander Nokton 17.5mm F0.95 Aspherical Voigtlander Nokton 42.5mm F0.95 +25 more
BingoCharlie
Contributing MemberPosts: 849
Like?
In reply to jeffharris, Feb 13, 2013

jeffharris wrote:

Yep, asshats are everywhere.

Indeed.  To be honest, every manufacturer makes worthy cameras these days and they all have an amazing -- almost miraculous -- range of abilities.  Being snobbish about someone else's choice is just sad.

I am an Olympus OM-D user and have gotten the stink eye on more than one occasion.  That's fine.  Whatever helps you sleep at night.

My most fun conversations come when I carry my tiny Pentax Q.  Pentaxians are an interesting lot.  They always seem SO happy to see someone else shooting with Pentax!  The camaraderie is priceless.

Richard
Veteran MemberPosts: 4,839
Like?
You are just as bad as he is.

BrewLab wrote:

I was shooting birds at a local refuge yesterday, minding my own business, when a guy with a Canon and a big white lens looked at me and says, "Sony, huh? Just make sure you don't take that around any real photographers." HUH?!? So I responded, "Well, change is scary. BTW, at least you're smart enough to admit you're not a real photographer." Then I fired off 12fps as a duck zipped past us. LOL!!

Trevor

People who say things like he did have low self esteem and or feel the need to justify their purchase or their status as a photographer,  ie white lens means I am a real photographer and you are not because you don't have one.

You turned around and said the same thing. You are saying he is not a real photographer and you justify your purchase and your photographer status because your camera does 12 fps.

You are just as bad as he is.

A real photographer goes around taking pictures with his camera, both of you were doing that, didn't matter what camera you had.

[joke]

Now if he would have said Pro photographer, then he would have been right because everyone knows that only pro photographers use white lenses and none of them would purchase a sony. LOL

[joke/]

Midwest
Forum ProPosts: 14,192
Like?
Re: It happens in both directions ...
In reply to RichV, Feb 13, 2013

Yes it does happen in both directions. The people who use mirrorless (for example) and have no need of fast autofocus or a real-time optical viewfinder make out our DSLR's as though there's not a reason on Earth to want to use one, or that they are so 'big' while petite little mirrorless cameras must be better because everyone knows that 'smaller is better', or so they imply.

Whatever works for a person is fine, and I don't get the burning desire some have to tell other people they are crazy to use whatever their choice is.

-- hide signature --

You don't TAKE a photo, you MAKE a photo.

projectfx
New MemberPosts: 20
Like?
In reply to JimmyMelbourne, Feb 13, 2013

JimmyMelbourne wrote:

So I shot a wedding once as a guest, shooting with an a77 and an 18 - 250. The paid photographer was using 2 full frame canons a 70 - 200 2.8 and a 24 - 70 2.8 lens on either camera. We both sent the photos to the bride. Guess which photos she liked better, in terms of colour and skin tones?

thats not the camera, thats the photographer...

Shield3
Senior MemberPosts: 2,440Gear list
Like?
In reply to MediaArchivist, Feb 13, 2013

MediaArchivist wrote:

Shield3 wrote:

The 1DX actually does 12FPS in full manual mode, unlike the A77 that requires the aperture to be fixed @ F/5.6.

One of the great things about these forums is how much you can learn. In particular, the hidden nuggets of knowledge that are posted-- by real people actually using the cameras. These are the gems that go beyond the manuals, and beyond the hype.

I was not aware that the a77 was limited to f/5.6 in 12fps burst mode. This is one of those gems-- it is certainly not in the manual. Nonetheless, I could not help but remember that I had used it in that mode at a wider f/stop. But, here I am, reading this thread. How do I know my recollection is in error? Because right after reading in a post that the aperture is fixed at f/5.6, it is emphasized that one should "check your facts before posting."

I am at a loss to explain why, when attaching a f/1.4 lens to my a77, I was able to burst 12fps at f/1.4. How can this be? In continuous AF as well as manual focus. In auto ISO mode, as well as ISO 800. Aperture priority or shutter priority. All at f/1.4.

Please, check your facts before posting.

Indeed.

I beg your pardon; I misread Gary Friedman's e-book on the a77.

"In this mode the autofocus mechanism officially can’t handle lenses whose maximum f/stop is f/5.6 or smaller. (The only lens I can think of that falls into this category is the 500mm f/8 mirror lens.)"

But you of course say nothing of the person who said the 1DX is limited to 10FPS?  Not to mention the A77's tiny buffer that only does 17 raw (so 12FPS for what, less than 1.5 seconds) while the 1DX will do up to 38 raw files in a row with a UDMA 7 card.  But, of course, the "Sony" is the fastest. 

Shield3's gear list:Shield3's gear list
Canon EOS 5D Mark III Canon EF 135mm f/2.0L USM Canon EF 70-200mm f/2.8L IS II USM Canon EF 85mm f/1.2L II USM Canon EF 24-70mm f/4L IS USM +2 more
Klipsen
Veteran MemberPosts: 6,084Gear list
Like?
Re: 12 fps ha ha ha
In reply to Dédéjr, Feb 13, 2013

Dédéjr wrote:

So high frame-rates are only for novices ? That must have been why Nikon made the F2H:

14 fps - who needs it?

-- hide signature --

Ceterum censeo soleam calidam ISO esse delendam.

Klipsen's gear list:Klipsen's gear list
Sony Alpha DSLR-A700 Sony Alpha DSLR-A900 Sony Alpha NEX-7 Sony 85mm F1.4 ZA Carl Zeiss Planar T* Sony 24-70mm F2.8 ZA SSM Carl Zeiss Vario-Sonnar T* +16 more
alphacam
Contributing MemberPosts: 949Gear list
Like?
Re: 12 fps ha ha ha
In reply to Klipsen, Feb 13, 2013

ooooooh that big Nikon is so pretty.  It probably pairs well with the old school motorola brick phone from the 80's

alphacam's gear list:alphacam's gear list
Sony SLT-A99 Adobe Photoshop CS6
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads