Wow!! My first run in with Canikon snob...

Started Feb 11, 2013 | Discussions
BillyNZ
New MemberPosts: 20
Like?
Re: Wow!! My first run in with Canikon snob...
In reply to BrewLab, Feb 12, 2013

I'm a happy owner of a Nikon (my first DSLR), but I can't agree any more with your comment. Just before reading your post I was contemplating some amazing pictures taken with an "outdated" Fuji S5. It's much more about the photographer than the gear and anyway all major brands are manufacturing some great cameras. If somebody loves photography that person should be just enjoying taking photos and improving the technique and not wasting time criticising. Focusing in other's equipment is just a sign of lack of confidence in what you've got or what con you achieve with that...

BTW, great point your comment about the FPS!

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Dirk W
Senior MemberPosts: 1,583Gear list
Like?
LOL - but: I know some SONY-guys with similar personality problems

Nice story, Trevor, and I really agree with what you write: All major brands make nice cameras. I had Canon, Nikon and Fuji DSLRs before I turned to Sony equipment (NEX & SLT).

IMO it is generally quite amusing how people can get so attached with some pieces of plastic, metal and glass that they consider themselves being a Canikon snob or Sony guy. (Trevor I know you did not use the expression Sony guy for yourself in the sense that I refer to).

However, what I often see on the Sony SLT forum is that some "Sony-guys" seem to suffer from bad self esteem and think that they need to defend their decision to buy a Sony camera by all reasonable and unreasonable means. As soon as someone says a critical word about a Sony SLT, certain people almost start crying or fainting and use all kinds of arguments - sometimes totally ridiculous - why Sony is SO extremely much better than anything else in the world (recently somebody seriously wanted to tell me that Sony deliberately decided to have worse low-light capability in their SLT's because then the colors would be better than with the other brand's SLRs :-)) Of course you can always discuss pros and cons but some SLT-guys really take it on a personal level. I am sure you find such people on the Canikon forums as well. Nicely enough, the NEX forum seems to be free of those actually.

What I want to say is: As weird as such an arrogant superiority behavior of some Canikon snob appears, as weird appears the bad self esteem inferiority whining of certain Sony-guys, as soon as someone dares to mention a Sony problem. And I expressly do NOT refer to you, Trevor.

The best in any case is, as you did: to take it with humor.

Best

Dirk

Dirk W's gear list:Dirk W's gear list
Olympus Stylus XZ-10 Sony Alpha NEX-6 Sony Alpha NEX-5N Sony Alpha NEX-3N A3000 +18 more
Alphabart
Regular MemberPosts: 326Gear list
Like?
Re: I see your point...

Nice one! It's always the trick to come with a polite and smart answer.
But it's not people with camera's. Last weekend I was in a WWII Transit Camp taking a photo of the Barbed Wire on the Fences... When a lady passed by talking out loud. Why is this guy making photo's of barbed wire, barbed wire doesn't say anything. I stood up, making the photo gesture to her but I stopped, and said... No I prefer barbed wire.. LoL

Alphabart's gear list:Alphabart's gear list
Nikon D700 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 50mm f/1.4G Nikon AF-S Nikkor 85mm f/1.8G Tamron SP AF 70-200mm F/2.8 Di LD (IF) MACRO
Klipsen
Veteran MemberPosts: 6,084Gear list
Like?
Their most common reaction is ...

... disbelief.

Firstly that Sony make SLRs - and secondly that anyone would buy anything but Canon or Nikon.

There are also situations where they "hold their manhoods cheap", like when a Canon owner looked approvingly at my 300 mm f/2.8 and asked if it was the (Canon) 100-400 mm. Needles to say, he didn't snub his nose at that lens.

On another occasion I used my 70-200 mm f/2.8, and another Canon owner first thought it was a Canon, but then made the snide remark: "Well, they did a good job - even copying the colour".

-- hide signature --

Ceterum censeo soleam calidam ISO esse delendam.

Klipsen's gear list:Klipsen's gear list
Sony Alpha DSLR-A700 Sony Alpha DSLR-A900 Sony Alpha NEX-7 Sony 85mm F1.4 ZA Carl Zeiss Planar T* Sony 24-70mm F2.8 ZA SSM Carl Zeiss Vario-Sonnar T* +16 more
Frenske
Veteran MemberPosts: 4,180
Like?
In reply to Glenn, Feb 12, 2013

Glenn wrote:

did you see his wife? Did she really have plastic pale looking skin? I often wondered about them not noticing that in their pictures...

I doubt he has a wife. The worst gear snobs are the single men without a wife or girlfriend to make sure to see things from the different perspective (theirs).

-- hide signature --
jedinstvo
Senior MemberPosts: 1,914
Like?
Portland a hotbed of camera hooligans

They're like football hooligans. You're lucky you didn't get stomped for using the wrong camera. You should carry a Glock 9mm so next time you run into that guy at the duck ranch you can pull out your Glock, stick the barrel in his shooting eye and say "You don't have anything against Glocks do you?"

tbcass
Forum ProPosts: 19,051Gear list
Like?
In reply to clignus, Feb 12, 2013

clignus wrote:

Just based on comments I have read while occasionally perusing the Canon and Nikon fora/forums I have wondered if there may be a growing number of Canon and Nikon users that also own a NEX? Probably just coincidence that I have seen a number of these and not representative of the complete Nikon/Canon cohort but it has peeked my curiosity.

There a quite a few Canon and Nikon people in the Cybershot forum that use the RX100. There are jerks everywhere using every brand of camera so don't judge based on a handful of axxholes.

-- hide signature --
 tbcass's gear list:tbcass's gear list
Sony RX100 Sony SLT-A77 Sony DT 35mm F1.8 SAM Tamron SP AF 90mm F/2.8 Di Macro Tamron SP 70-300mm F/4-5.6 Di USD +6 more
mproudfoot
Forum MemberPosts: 57Gear list
Like?

Quite said when anyone places such importance on the brand rather than the photographer.

On the opposite end of the scale, I recall walking around Po Lin Monastery in Hong Kong a couple of years ago with my old A300 and, whilst taking a shot of the giant buddha, an older gentleman  who was taking pics nearby came up and started chatting - turns out he was using an A55 (the only other Sony shooter I had seen there) and we had a good old natter about Sony and photography in general.  Since then, there's been a few times when I've walked past other Sony shooters whlilst carrying my A300 or A77 and we've shared a knowing nod

mproudfoot's gear list:mproudfoot's gear list
Sony RX100 II Sony SLT-A77 Tamron SP 70-300mm F/4-5.6 Di VC USD Sigma 10-20mm F4-5.6 EX DC HSM Sony DT 16-50mm F2.8 SSM +3 more
Shield3
Senior MemberPosts: 2,440Gear list
Like?
In reply to mproudfoot, Feb 12, 2013

Not all people who shoot Canon are like this.  I recently switched from an a99 to a Canon 5DMark3.  There's black electrical tape over the Canon logo.  Why?  I'm not paid by Canon; why give them free advertising?  Doesn't matter what brand you shoot with.

Shield3's gear list:Shield3's gear list
Canon EOS 5D Mark III Canon EF 135mm f/2.0L USM Canon EF 70-200mm f/2.8L IS II USM Canon EF 85mm f/1.2L II USM Canon EF 24-70mm f/4L IS USM +2 more
eddyshoots
Senior MemberPosts: 2,174
Like?

BrewLab wrote:

I was shooting birds at a local refuge yesterday, minding my own business, when a guy with a Canon and a big white lens looked at me and says, "Sony, huh? Just make sure you don't take that around any real photographers." HUH?!? So I responded, "Well, change is scary. BTW, at least you're smart enough to admit you're not a real photographer." Then I fired off 12fps as a duck zipped past us. LOL!!

Hmmm. "smart enough to admit you're not a real photographer" Yeah, that's the way to direct a conversation to birds, technique or gear.

That was my first real life experience with the Canikon bias. Unbelievable. Rather than ask about my camera, talk shop or even better....just say nothing...he chose to bash both my gear AND my photography skills in one fell swoop. I didn't want to believe it, but they're really out there.

Trevor

I shoot Nikon but am one of those guys that couldn't give a flying f*&k about brands. I really don't get those that feel the need to talk up their gear because it's so great nor do I understand those that get overly defensive about their gear (Bueller?... Bueller?... Bueller?...Trevor?).

As I said above I don't much care about gear but if someone pulls out a Canon camera beside me at an event I'm probably going to make a smart arssed comment of some sort. I've been on the receiving end of this many times, too. It always just ends up in a laugh between two photographers who really know there's no real difference between systems. It's kind of like the Ford vs. Chevy debates that rage over beers all the time. Now, if one party in the conversation has exceptionally thin skin then maybe it'll end up being a thread on DPReview or pickuptrucks.com.

OK, teasing aside (deservedly so, I think). I'm obviously not privy to the accompanying tone of the Canon shooter (or from Trevor) but I can hardly imagine it being anything other than good natured teasing. Does anyone here really think this guy was actually bashing Trevor's gear AND photography skills because there was a Sony label on the front of his camera? Don't be silly.

Now my turn to have a little fun, "Sony huh, eight track or cassette?".

-- hide signature --

eddyshoots

antares103
Contributing MemberPosts: 918Gear list
Like?

BrewLab wrote:

"... at least you're smart enough to admit you're not a real photographer."

Trevor

Epic.

-- hide signature --

Film is a four letter word

antares103's gear list:antares103's gear list
Sony SLT-A77 NEX5R Sony Alpha NEX-6 Sony DT 35mm F1.8 SAM Canon Pixma Pro9000 Mark II +8 more
antares103
Contributing MemberPosts: 918Gear list
Like?
In reply to eddyshoots, Feb 12, 2013

eddyshoots wrote:

Does anyone here really think this guy was actually bashing Trevor's gear AND photography skills because there was a Sony label on the front of his camera?.

-- hide signature --

eddyshoots

Quite possibly. Certainly not everyone cares what gear another uses, but having worked camera retail, I saw it all the time.

Case in point, in 2006, a lady asked if we had any "5D's". I asked Canon or Minolta? I seriously think her stomach turned and she threw up a little in her mouth at the suggestion of a Minolta.

-- hide signature --

Film is a four letter word

antares103's gear list:antares103's gear list
Sony SLT-A77 NEX5R Sony Alpha NEX-6 Sony DT 35mm F1.8 SAM Canon Pixma Pro9000 Mark II +8 more
EinsteinsGhost
Forum ProPosts: 11,977Gear list
Like?
In reply to eddyshoots, Feb 12, 2013

eddyshoots wrote:

Does anyone here really think this guy was actually bashing Trevor's gear AND photography skills because there was a Sony label on the front of his camera? Don't be silly.

That chance greatly increases if that guy is a fellow DPR-er.

EinsteinsGhost's gear list:EinsteinsGhost's gear list
Sony Cyber-shot DSC-F828 Sony SLT-A55 Sony Alpha NEX-6 Sony 135mm F2.8 (T4.5) STF Sigma 70mm F2.8 EX DG Macro +12 more
Picturenaut
Regular MemberPosts: 328Gear list
Like?

Trevor, that's not only a matter of brand snobism but mere of the fact, that if you do wildlife shooting you sometimes run into real idiots. I shoot Canon but I made the same experience with people who just talk rubbish because they want to stop you from enjoying a magical moment and taking good pictures. That's it!

I wish you som nice bird shots and no such unpleasant encounters anymore!

-- hide signature --

Picturenaut

Picturenaut's gear list:Picturenaut's gear list
Canon PowerShot G7 Canon EOS 7D Canon EOS 5D Mark III Canon EF 100mm f/2.8L Macro IS USM Canon EF-S 60mm f/2.8 Macro USM +12 more
WaltKnapp
Forum ProPosts: 13,820
Like?

BrewLab wrote:

I was shooting birds at a local refuge yesterday, minding my own business, when a guy with a Canon and a big white lens looked at me and says, "Sony, huh? Just make sure you don't take that around any real photographers." HUH?!? So I responded, "Well, change is scary. BTW, at least you're smart enough to admit you're not a real photographer." Then I fired off 12fps as a duck zipped past us. LOL!!

So, where are those 12fps?  Pushing the shutter button says nothing, photos are what counts.

There are plenty of Sony snobs who are just as annoying if not more so.

Maybe it's just that I do and talk photography when out in the field, but I mostly meet photographers.

Jim N'AZ
Veteran MemberPosts: 7,252
Like?

BrewLab wrote:

First, let me preface this by saying that, although I am a Sony guy, I am of the belief that in the right hands, all the major brands will make amazing images and I couldn't care less what other folks shoot if it makes them happy. I just thought this little experience was rather funny. Having said that...

If your statement is really true "I couldn't care less what other folks shoot" Why did you find it necessary to point out he was "shooting a Canon and a big white lens." Wouldn't the story have been just as valid if you had dropped the part about what brand HE was shooting? After all, most replies seem to feel this, ahem, "story" is more about the other shooter rather than which brand he happened to have in his hands. Remember, you are the one that said "I couldn't care less what other folks shoot" yet you find it somehow useful to have a subject line that denies your statement!

It strikes me that despite your protestations to the contrary, you seem to have an agenda in telling this story about the other shooter and especially his brand of camera. Why the subject line that condemns both Canon and Nikon users by calling him a SNOB? Seems to be a needlessly inflammatory in its tone.

That was my first real life experience with the Canikon bias. Unbelievable. Rather than ask about my camera, talk shop or even better....just say nothing...he chose to bash both my gear AND my photography skills in one fell swoop. I didn't want to believe it, but they're really out there.

"but they're really out there" Really?? I've been shooting for almost 50 years and have shot nearly every brand/format ever made as both a paid professional and as a hobbiest(sp) and not one time have I been so accosted as you recount. Not once. I've been a member here on dpr for 13 years and been a poster/owner on the Oly, KM, Canon, Nikon and m4/3 fora and I have over 7,000 posts, and I have yet to be insulted in the way you describe your run in at the refuge with a "Canikon snob." Can't be because of my stature as I'm only 5' 10" tall. Can't be because of my demeanor as I am generally pretty quiet in my conduct/conversation. Wait, I know! It must be because I am filthy rich and folks are intimidated by my riches... NOT.  Just can't get my head around why a guy (you know, that SNOB)  would be so audacious as to say something like that to another shooter who was a complete stranger. And yet in my 50 years of shooting (and I have shot with some pitiful gear too) I have not even come close to what you are heralding as snobbish behavior due to the brand of camera another shooter may own...

Methinks, and this is my own opinion, that you may have/had a reason to "stir the pot" here and made a rather poor job of it in the process or your skin is waaaay too thin when a "Canikon snob" teased you a wee bit about your Sony.

Remember Rodney King? You know, the guy that got beat up (sorta' like you say you did?) and came out the other side of that beat down and uttered those famous words, "Can't we all just get along?"

I just find it pointless to stir things up on the Sony forum by pointing fingers and name-calling the "other guys" and what they may be shooting by calling him/them snobs and then sharing the whole juicy story, including your snappy comeback and somehow trying/hoping(?) to come out looking like a knight in shining armor while standing up for all us "Sony guys" here on the forum....

Trevor

TrojMacReady
Senior MemberPosts: 8,534
Like?
In reply to Trevor G, Feb 12, 2013

Trevor G wrote:

BrewLab wrote:

...a guy with a Canon and a big white lens looked at me and says, "Sony, huh? Just make sure you don't take that around any real photographers." HUH?!? So I responded, "Well, change is scary. BTW, at least you're smart enough to admit you're not a real photographer." Then I fired off 12fps as a duck zipped past us. LOL!!

Trevor

I'm sorry you got offended. Do you think your response helped him or you the most? How did he take your rudeness?

I would have thought he was joking. What part of the world did this take place in?

Perception is an odd thing. Just like how you would think the Canon shooter was joking, shouldn't he take the reply that simply applies his own statements to practise, as a joke too?

Afterall it was described as a "funny experience".

BrewLab
Contributing MemberPosts: 603Gear list
Like?
In reply to Jim N'AZ, Feb 12, 2013

Jim N'AZ wrote:

BrewLab wrote:

First, let me preface this by saying that, although I am a Sony guy, I am of the belief that in the right hands, all the major brands will make amazing images and I couldn't care less what other folks shoot if it makes them happy. I just thought this little experience was rather funny. Having said that...

If your statement is really true "I couldn't care less what other folks shoot" Why did you find it necessary to point out he was "shooting a Canon and a big white lens." Wouldn't the story have been just as valid if you had dropped the part about what brand HE was shooting? After all, most replies seem to feel this, ahem, "story" is more about the other shooter rather than which brand he happened to have in his hands. Remember, you are the one that said "I couldn't care less what other folks shoot" yet you find it somehow useful to have a subject line that denies your statement!

It strikes me that despite your protestations to the contrary, you seem to have an agenda in telling this story about the other shooter and especially his brand of camera. Why the subject line that condemns both Canon and Nikon users by calling him a SNOB? Seems to be a needlessly inflammatory in its tone.

"but they're really out there" Really?? I've been shooting for almost 50 years and have shot nearly every brand/format ever made as both a paid professional and as a hobbiest(sp) and not one time have I been so accosted as you recount. Not once. I've been a member here on dpr for 13 years and been a poster/owner on the Oly, KM, Canon, Nikon and m4/3 fora and I have over 7,000 posts, and I have yet to be insulted in the way you describe your run in at the refuge with a "Canikon snob." Can't be because of my stature as I'm only 5' 10" tall. Can't be because of my demeanor as I am generally pretty quiet in my conduct/conversation. Wait, I know! It must be because I am filthy rich and folks are intimidated by my riches... NOT.  Just can't get my head around why a guy (you know, that SNOB) would be so audacious as to say something like that to another shooter who was a complete stranger. And yet in my 50 years of shooting (and I have shot with some pitiful gear too) I have not even come close to what you are heralding as snobbish behavior due to the brand of camera another shooter may own...

Methinks, and this is my own opinion, that you may have/had a reason to "stir the pot" here and made a rather poor job of it in the process or your skin is waaaay too thin when a "Canikon snob" teased you a wee bit about your Sony.

Remember Rodney King? You know, the guy that got beat up (sorta' like you say you did?) and came out the other side of that beat down and uttered those famous words, "Can't we all just get along?"

I just find it pointless to stir things up on the Sony forum by pointing fingers and name-calling the "other guys" and what they may be shooting by calling him/them snobs and then sharing the whole juicy story, including your snappy comeback and somehow trying/hoping(?) to come out looking like a knight in shining armor while standing up for all us "Sony guys" here on the forum....

Trevor

Wow...now I feel like a complete tool for sharing what I thought was a funny story relating to my SONY camera, on the SONY forum with my fellow SONY shooters. Thanks! And the fact that you've never had an experience like that clearly proves that I have somehow fabricated this story to win the respect and admiration of all the faceless strangers (no offense anybody) on this forum, because my own life is so shallow and empty. Come to mention it....my ex-wife went sky diving in South Africa, recently. In my 40 years on this planet, I've never even thought about doing that let alone done it. She obviously made the whole thing up. I don't know who she thinks she's trying to impress, but it's not me!! Or, you...unless of course you've actually been skydiving in SA. Then, I might believe it.

Let's not forget to mention my long history of "pot stirring" posts! Granted, I only have roughly 380 of them, not 7000. But most of my time is spent outside, enjoying life and taking photos, not blowing someone up for sharing a humorous experience. Craig Biggio has 3000 hits and it may not get him into the Hall of Fame. Numbers aren't everything.

That's the problem when threads get to a certain length. Folks want to comment, but not necessarily read the whole thread. You may have missed this:

"And it is about the photographer, but the key to a good story is in the details, and the fact is he was shooting a Canon. Like I said, I have zero issues with what other folks choose to shoot. If he wouldn't have been such an a**hat, I would have liked to talk to him about his gear. Honestly, I was less offended by the poke at my gear and more by the insinuation that I was somehow an inferior photographer because of the brand I choose to use. I mean, jeez...we were all just taking pictures of ducks. Ducks..lol."

Or, this:

"that I did have a pleasant conversation with an elderly gentleman that was shooting a Nikon. About birds, though...he didn't seem the least bit interested in my camera. However, on his way back to where his wife was standing, he walked by the other guy and said, "Canon, huh?", shrugged and kept walking. Too much. I had no idea Sunday fowl shooting was so competitive..lol! Guess that's what happens when there's no football to watch. Oh, well. I hope everyone was as happy with their shots as I was with mine"

And, I called him a snob because he was a snob. There's no way to convey the tone he used, so you'll just have to take my word for it. Or, not.

Finally...you're probably right. I do have a bit of a thin skin when someone who knows nothing about me or my experiences tries to discredit me by putting words in my mouth such as "accosted"  and getting "beat up" like Rodney King. Really? Rodney King? Methinks, and this is my own opinion, that you have too much time on your hands.

For what it's worth...have a great day and I hope to see some of your photos on here.

Cheers!

BrewLab's gear list:BrewLab's gear list
Sony Cyber-shot DSC-H20 Sony Cyber-shot DSC-W150 Sony SLT-A77 Sony DT 35mm F1.8 SAM Tamron SP AF 17-50mm F/2.8 XR Di II LD Aspherical (IF)
NancyP
Senior MemberPosts: 4,190Gear list
Like?

The guy with the Big White is an idiot. That 12 fps is a really tempting option, and the best any Canon can do is 10 fps (1DX). Plus, the Sony sensors are top of the charts now, with 1-2-3 spots occupied by Sony sensors in Nikon cameras, and #4 spot occupied by Sony sensor in Sony A99 camera. Canon's own sensors are trailing the Sony made ones in dynamic range.

Carrying a Canikon camera doesn't make you a good photographer, it makes you a Canikon owner. In my case, a Canon owner (DSLR) and a Sigma owner (mirrorless).

NancyP's gear list:NancyP's gear list
Sigma DP3 Merrill
PixelRope
New MemberPosts: 22
Like?

Meh...ignore the guy that's criticizing your post. I thought it was a fun story.

I'm always surprised at the gear snobbery, but at the same time I almost expect it. If some of you think this forum is bad, I dare you to go look at a car forum. You want snobbery, it doesn't get much better/worse than that.

Personally, I shoot Canon. But I also like Sony. And Nikon. And Pentax. And Kodak. I really don't care what the brand is - does it shoot photos and can I use it? Yes? Good, sign me up. I've always shot Rebel bodies, and the looks I get from the people who clearly spent $3k just to look professional are hilarious. "Oh, is that a Rebel? Yeah, I'm shooting a 5D..." or " "Oh, I'm shooting a D3s..."

Best one ever is I was snapping a few photos here and there at a friends wedding, and the photog told me to "get out of the way and let the pros handle it". My photos are in the collage on their mantle, not the ones he took with all the expensive equipment - those are in books in a closet.

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads