Wow!! My first run in with Canikon snob...

Started Feb 11, 2013 | Discussions
nzmacro
Veteran MemberPosts: 8,852Gear list
Like?
Ha, it takes all sorts I guess
In reply to BrewLab, Feb 11, 2013

Gees it takes all sorts I tell ya. Sad to see someone like that really.

Wonder what he would think of my little Sony NEX-7 then.........

You should see the looks I get and the comments I get from Canon shooters

A small story for you. I was out with a wedding photographer who wants to get into nature shots, birds mainly. Shooting a Canon 7D and 100-400L. Down to a place I can guarantee Cormorants in flight, got back and both posted in a nature forum.

"How come yours are so sharp and mine are blurred" Took a look at the EXIF and said "Well you won't get a decent BIF with 1/180 sec will ya" So there you go, LOL. Its not like they are taking a shot of a wedding bride huh !!

I don't actually care what they think or say now, the proof is in the pudding I tell them

All the best, have fun and a great read. Its nice to know we are not alone.

Danny.

-- hide signature --
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Equals Nothing
Forum MemberPosts: 90
Like?
Re: I've heard of that happening
In reply to Kings1, Feb 11, 2013

Kings1 wrote:

The people I know that own Canon and Nikon aren't like that at all, except for one person. He honestly believes Nikons are so much better than a Sony. I asked who made the sensors for many of Nikons, but he didn't know. He was surprised to find out it was Sony from another Nikonowner as well as me.

Most of the newer DSLR and SLT cameras can produce good if not great pictures in the hands of someone who knows how to use them. I'd take the Canon owner's remarks with a grain of salt, clearly they are a fool to insult others....

I have a Nikon buddy and a Canon buddy, the Canon buddy has a 7D with tamron 70-200. From my experience with that lens, it is my next purchase in K mount. Neither of them are snobby, and from a 7D and D7000, they are both envious of my K5 in many respects. Perhaps the guy in the OP's story was just being rude because he was a stranger, perhaps a sony user had irked him in the past. I have seen many brand pride warriors in every forum here, including sony (and pentax). I think this story should have been about a photographer who is an idiot, not a canon user who is an idiot. This kind of labeling will only spur other canikon owners to take offense, and give you another story to tell.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
BrewLab
Contributing MemberPosts: 600Gear list
Like?
Re: Did you say fowl shooting? :D n/t
In reply to EinsteinsGhost, Feb 12, 2013

Ha!! Nice catch! I was rereading and also noticed how the sentence "I was shooting birds at a local refuge" could be taken out of context if not on a photo forum...lol.

 BrewLab's gear list:BrewLab's gear list
Sony Cyber-shot DSC-W150 Sony Cyber-shot DSC-H20 Sony SLT-A77 Tamron SP AF 17-50mm F/2.8 XR Di II LD Aspherical (IF) Sony DT 35mm F1.8 SAM
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
BrewLab
Contributing MemberPosts: 600Gear list
Like?
Re: Ha, it takes all sorts I guess
In reply to nzmacro, Feb 12, 2013

Whoa!! I have to admit, I'd give you a second look, too That's pretty cool.

Thanks for sharing your story!

Trevor

 BrewLab's gear list:BrewLab's gear list
Sony Cyber-shot DSC-W150 Sony Cyber-shot DSC-H20 Sony SLT-A77 Tamron SP AF 17-50mm F/2.8 XR Di II LD Aspherical (IF) Sony DT 35mm F1.8 SAM
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
RedFox88
Forum ProPosts: 21,633
Like?
Re: Wow!! My first run in with Canikon snob...
In reply to BrewLab, Feb 12, 2013

BrewLab wrote:

Then I fired off 12fps as a duck zipped past us. LOL!!

Your attitude and how you posted what you did says as much about you as it did about him and I find neither to be exemplary.  Here's hoping you got a good frame out of those 12.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
BrewLab
Contributing MemberPosts: 600Gear list
Like?
Re: I see your point...
In reply to Equals Nothing, Feb 12, 2013

Equals Nothing wrote:

Kings1 wrote:

The people I know that own Canon and Nikon aren't like that at all, except for one person. He honestly believes Nikons are so much better than a Sony. I asked who made the sensors for many of Nikons, but he didn't know. He was surprised to find out it was Sony from another Nikonowner as well as me.

Most of the newer DSLR and SLT cameras can produce good if not great pictures in the hands of someone who knows how to use them. I'd take the Canon owner's remarks with a grain of salt, clearly they are a fool to insult others....

I have a Nikon buddy and a Canon buddy, the Canon buddy has a 7D with tamron 70-200. From my experience with that lens, it is my next purchase in K mount. Neither of them are snobby, and from a 7D and D7000, they are both envious of my K5 in many respects. Perhaps the guy in the OP's story was just being rude because he was a stranger, perhaps a sony user had irked him in the past. I have seen many brand pride warriors in every forum here, including sony (and pentax). I think this story should have been about a photographer who is an idiot, not a canon user who is an idiot. This kind of labeling will only spur other canikon owners to take offense, and give you another story to tell.

And it is about the photographer, but the key to a good story is in the details, and the fact is he was shooting a Canon. Like I said, I have zero issues with what other folks choose to shoot. If he wouldn't have been such an a**hat, I would have liked to talk to him about his gear. Honestly, I was less offended by the poke at my gear and more by the insinuation that I was somehow an inferior photographer because of the brand I choose to use. I mean, jeez...we were all just taking pictures of ducks. Ducks..lol.

Cheers!

 BrewLab's gear list:BrewLab's gear list
Sony Cyber-shot DSC-W150 Sony Cyber-shot DSC-H20 Sony SLT-A77 Tamron SP AF 17-50mm F/2.8 XR Di II LD Aspherical (IF) Sony DT 35mm F1.8 SAM
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Neeyon
Contributing MemberPosts: 972Gear list
Like?
Re: His loss, I guess (and I don't mean brand-wise)
In reply to BrewLab, Feb 12, 2013

As you've alluded to, that could have been a nice opportunity to talk shop with a fellow photographer whether it was a bird discussion, technique discussion, or even a bit of good-natured banter about the pros and cons of various brands. But for some reason this guy chose to be a pompous twit. At the end of the day though it's his loss...he's not going to be making many friends/acquaintances with that attitude, whereas you, as evidenced by your discussion with the Nikon guy, will.

Call it morbid fascination, but I'd be curious to know the thoughts going on in that guy's head before he approached you. If I had to guess I'd suggest that at some level he actually felt threatened seeing someone using a Sony, and so a way to make himself feel better about his choice of Canon was to put you down. In fact I suspect that this strange insecurity is behind a lot of fanboy-ism with any brand. Some people need to constantly convince themselves that their brand is the best, and the easiest way to do that sometimes is to put someone else down. Me, I'd rather spend my energy having fun taking pictures then worrying about what brand someone else is using.

100% agreed with your attitude though...all major brands these days have good cameras that can take excellent pics in the right hands, so it's really up to the individual to pick which model or system suits them best.

 Neeyon's gear list:Neeyon's gear list
Canon PowerShot S100 Sony SLT-A55 Sony 70-400mm F4-5.6 G SSM Tamron SP AF 90mm F/2.8 Di Macro Sony DT 50mm F1.8 SAM +1 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
TrojMacReady
Senior MemberPosts: 8,409
Like?
Ignore RedFox88 aka Hellashot.
In reply to RedFox88, Feb 12, 2013

RedFox88 wrote:

BrewLab wrote:

Then I fired off 12fps as a duck zipped past us. LOL!!

Your attitude and how you posted what you did says as much about you as it did about him and I find neither to be exemplary. Here's hoping you got a good frame out of those 12.

He has a history like this, if you're interested.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
BrewLab
Contributing MemberPosts: 600Gear list
Like?
Re: Ignore RedFox88 aka Hellashot.
In reply to TrojMacReady, Feb 12, 2013

TrojMacReady wrote:

RedFox88 wrote:

BrewLab wrote:

Then I fired off 12fps as a duck zipped past us. LOL!!

Your attitude and how you posted what you did says as much about you as it did about him and I find neither to be exemplary. Here's hoping you got a good frame out of those 12.

He has a history like this, if you're interested.

I thought as much

Cheers!!

 BrewLab's gear list:BrewLab's gear list
Sony Cyber-shot DSC-W150 Sony Cyber-shot DSC-H20 Sony SLT-A77 Tamron SP AF 17-50mm F/2.8 XR Di II LD Aspherical (IF) Sony DT 35mm F1.8 SAM
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Miike Dougherty
Regular MemberPosts: 224Gear list
Like?
Re: Wow!! My first run in with Canikon snob...
In reply to BrewLab, Feb 12, 2013

Most of my bodies are Nikon which I shoot with Sigma lenses (e.g. 8-16, 120-300, and 300-800).  Nikon and Canon simply don't have any lenses like these.  However, I do shoot football and BIF with an A57 with Sony 80-400 because the combo is fast and sharp.  The silver colored 80-400 actually causes a lot of curious Canikon users to ask me what it is.  Then they hear the 10 FPS with continuous autofocus.  Nice.

 Miike Dougherty's gear list:Miike Dougherty's gear list
Nikon D7100 Sony a77 II Sigma 120-300mm F2.8 EX DG OS HSM Sigma 17-70mm F2.8-4 DC MACRO OS HSM | C Sony 70-400mm F4-5.6 G SSM II
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Neeyon
Contributing MemberPosts: 972Gear list
Like?
Re: Wow!! My first run in with Canikon snob...
In reply to Miike Dougherty, Feb 12, 2013

Miike Dougherty wrote:

Most of my bodies are Nikon which I shoot with Sigma lenses (e.g. 8-16, 120-300, and 300-800). Nikon and Canon simply don't have any lenses like these. However, I do shoot football and BIF with an A57 with Sony 80-400 because the combo is fast and sharp. The silver colored 80-400 actually causes a lot of curious Canikon users to ask me what it is. Then they hear the 10 FPS with continuous autofocus. Nice.

A bit off-topic, but what's IQ like of the 300-800, and what do you normally use it for? That is certainly a drool-worthy lens. In fact it's a real pity that both the 300-800 and 120-300 aren't made in Sony mount.

 Neeyon's gear list:Neeyon's gear list
Canon PowerShot S100 Sony SLT-A55 Sony 70-400mm F4-5.6 G SSM Tamron SP AF 90mm F/2.8 Di Macro Sony DT 50mm F1.8 SAM +1 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Gordon1965
Junior MemberPosts: 47Gear list
Like?
Re: Wow!! My first run in with Canikon snob...
In reply to BrewLab, Feb 12, 2013

When I bought my A77 last year I actually looked at Canikon and Sony side by side with my official advisor - a Canon Mark 3 user who was pushing me towards Canon initially but then pushed me to Sony. The EVF and in camera stabilisation and a few other tricks changed some fixed opinions. I think many users ( in either brand camp ) are simply not aware of whats happening outside their world.

As an opposite to that an old mate who still hasn't moved from film to digital vehemently said Nikon was the only choice and he has basically missed the last 10-15 years of whats been happening in digital.

I shoot regularly with a photo club group mostly Canikon and tend to get good questions basically talking gear - and in fact many of them now with NEX and RX100 as their backup cameras too.

So you get all sorts...simply human nature.

-- hide signature --

Cheers Gordon

 Gordon1965's gear list:Gordon1965's gear list
Sony DT 16-50mm F2.8 SSM +1 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
eviled
Junior MemberPosts: 37
Like?
Re: Wow!! My first run in with Canikon snob...
In reply to Gordon1965, Feb 12, 2013

There's always one in the crowd. It's the same in the motorcycle community. I once had a guy tell me "If you ain't riding a Harley, you ain't riding s#%t". Needless to say, my reply left his face red and his friends laughing.
I have the A700 strap on my D700, and the looks I get are priceless. It's not the camera that is the problem, it's the tool behind it sometimes.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
MediaArchivist
Contributing MemberPosts: 867Gear list
Like?
Good analogy!
In reply to eviled, Feb 12, 2013

I was going to mention how I have overheard similar conversations between BMW owners (not to disparage BMW owners). "Oh, a 3 series. They are nice, I suppose. I have a 5." Or something like that. Needless to say, they never have that conversation with me-- I drive a [gulp] Saturn

 MediaArchivist's gear list:MediaArchivist's gear list
Sony SLT-A99 Sigma 50mm F1.4 EX DG HSM Sony 135mm F2.8 (T4.5) STF Sony 24mm F2 SSM Carl Zeiss Distagon T* Samyang 8mm F3.5 Aspherical IF MC Fisheye +15 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Michaels7
Contributing MemberPosts: 500Gear list
Like?
Most that focused on your gear and
In reply to BrewLab, Feb 12, 2013

BrewLab wrote:

First, let me preface this by saying that, although I am a Sony guy, I am of the belief that in the right hands, all the major brands will make amazing images and I couldn't care less what other folks shoot if it makes them happy. I just thought this little experience was rather funny. Having said that...

I was shooting birds at a local refuge yesterday, minding my own business, when a guy with a Canon and a big white lens looked at me and says, "Sony, huh? Just make sure you don't take that around any real photographers." HUH?!? So I responded, "Well, change is scary. BTW, at least you're smart enough to admit you're not a real photographer." Then I fired off 12fps as a duck zipped past us. LOL!!

That was my first real life experience with the Canikon bias. Unbelievable. Rather than ask about my camera, talk shop or even better....just say nothing...he chose to bash both my gear AND my photography skills in one fell swoop. I didn't want to believe it, but they're really out there.

Trevor

and critique ones work without even seeing it, project their own bad skills. Most of them can't walk the walk with all of the high end gear. I always laugh at these type.

 Michaels7's gear list:Michaels7's gear list
Sony SLT-A99 Sigma 85mm F1.4 EX DG HSM
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Miike Dougherty
Regular MemberPosts: 224Gear list
Like?
Re: Wow!! My first run in with Canikon snob...
In reply to Neeyon, Feb 12, 2013

Neeyon wrote:

Miike Dougherty wrote:

Most of my bodies are Nikon which I shoot with Sigma lenses (e.g. 8-16, 120-300, and 300-800). Nikon and Canon simply don't have any lenses like these. However, I do shoot football and BIF with an A57 with Sony 80-400 because the combo is fast and sharp. The silver colored 80-400 actually causes a lot of curious Canikon users to ask me what it is. Then they hear the 10 FPS with continuous autofocus. Nice.

A bit off-topic, but what's IQ like of the 300-800, and what do you normally use it for? That is certainly a drool-worthy lens. In fact it's a real pity that both the 300-800 and 120-300 aren't made in Sony mount.

I will use it to shoot birds in flight but the main purpose is surf contests in Southern California.  Depending on how far out the waves are breaking, Sigma even makes a 1.5x teleconverter that works great with the lens.

http://mdougherty.com/100-THEPHOTOEXPERIENCE/150-SURFING/00-surfing-intro-htm.htm

 Miike Dougherty's gear list:Miike Dougherty's gear list
Nikon D7100 Sony a77 II Sigma 120-300mm F2.8 EX DG OS HSM Sigma 17-70mm F2.8-4 DC MACRO OS HSM | C Sony 70-400mm F4-5.6 G SSM II
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
nzmacro
Veteran MemberPosts: 8,852Gear list
Like?
Yes exactly
In reply to BrewLab, Feb 12, 2013

BrewLab wrote:

that I did have a pleasant conversation with an elderly gentleman that was shooting a Nikon. About birds, though...he didn't seem the least bit interested in my camera. However, on his way back to where his wife was standing, he walked by the other guy and said, "Canon, huh?", shrugged and kept walking. Too much. I had no idea Sunday fowl shooting was so competitive..lol! Guess that's what happens when there's no football to watch. Oh, well. I hope everyone was as happy with their shots as I was with mine

Cheers!!

95% of the bird shooters I meet are wonderful, they really are and have made good friendships because of that. Its just that one now and again that really.............

At the end of the day, the image doesn't care what camera or lens took it, it just simply exists and hopefully its a good one

All the best and good on you.

Danny.

-- hide signature --
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Rexel99
Regular MemberPosts: 422Gear list
Like?
Re: Wow!! My first run in with Canikon snob...
In reply to BrewLab, Feb 12, 2013

Nicely done.

I have had a bit of the attitude, one example was submitting paparazzi shots to a media distributor.. told me I would have a Canon full-frame soon to do this properly, first shots in and i got a 'not bad' from him...

Other than that I have had good responses from people generally, at camera clubs and groups all have been open to any brand... And then doing night-shoots and light painting where they are lying in the sand trying to focus on a dark subject and I am standing above my camera with the screen flipped and a nice green square on the black target all focused... Then they know why I have an advantage.

Oh, and I have met some great and serious Sony shooter out there that are doing portrait to fashion and beyond.. It also comes to mind when i have done stills behnd video clips etc, most of the pro(ish) video guys are holding Sony too

 Rexel99's gear list:Rexel99's gear list
Sony SLT-A77 Sony 70-300mm F4.5-5.6 G SSM Sony DT 16-50mm F2.8 SSM +5 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Trevor G
Veteran MemberPosts: 6,413Gear list
Like?
Re: Wow!! My first run in with Canikon snob...
In reply to BrewLab, Feb 12, 2013

BrewLab wrote:

...a guy with a Canon and a big white lens looked at me and says, "Sony, huh? Just make sure you don't take that around any real photographers." HUH?!? So I responded, "Well, change is scary. BTW, at least you're smart enough to admit you're not a real photographer." Then I fired off 12fps as a duck zipped past us. LOL!!

Trevor

I'm sorry you got offended.  Do you think your response helped him or you the most?  How did he take your rudeness?

I would have thought he was joking.  What part of the world did this take place in?

-- hide signature --

Cheers
Trevor G
Silkypix tutorials at: http://photo.computerwyse.com

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Marti58
Marti58 MOD
Forum ProPosts: 18,679Gear list
Like?
a real Photographer will look at
In reply to BrewLab, Feb 12, 2013

what you produce ... not what you use.

-- hide signature --

*All my Post Processing is done with Capture NX2*
Flickr Photo's
Galleries on DPR

 Marti58's gear list:Marti58's gear list
Nikon 1 Nikkor 10mm f/2.8 Panasonic Lumix DMC-TZ3 Samsung HZ35W Canon PowerShot S95 Nikon Coolpix P500 +24 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads