Wow!! My first run in with Canikon snob...

Started Feb 11, 2013 | Discussions
BrewLab
Contributing MemberPosts: 600Gear list
Like?
Wow!! My first run in with Canikon snob...
Feb 11, 2013

First, let me preface this by saying that, although I am a Sony guy, I am of the belief that in the right hands, all the major brands will make amazing images and I couldn't care less what other folks shoot if it makes them happy. I just thought this little experience was rather funny. Having said that...

I was shooting birds at a local refuge yesterday, minding my own business, when a guy with a Canon and a big white lens looked at me and says, "Sony, huh? Just make sure you don't take that around any real photographers." HUH?!? So I responded, "Well, change is scary. BTW, at least you're smart enough to admit you're not a real photographer." Then I fired off 12fps as a duck zipped past us. LOL!!

That was my first real life experience with the Canikon bias. Unbelievable. Rather than ask about my camera, talk shop or even better....just say nothing...he chose to bash both my gear AND my photography skills in one fell swoop. I didn't want to believe it, but they're really out there.

Trevor

BrewLab's gear list:BrewLab's gear list
Sony Cyber-shot DSC-W150 Sony Cyber-shot DSC-H20 Sony SLT-A77 Tamron SP AF 17-50mm F/2.8 XR Di II LD Aspherical (IF) Sony DT 35mm F1.8 SAM
Sonyshine
Senior MemberPosts: 4,387Gear list
Like?
Re: Wow!! My first run in with Canikon snob...
In reply to BrewLab, Feb 11, 2013

Try using a NEX camera then imagine the conversation...... 

Sonyshine's gear list:Sonyshine's gear list
Nikon 1 V1 Fujifilm X-E1 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-300mm f/4.5-5.6G VR Nikon AF-S DX Micro Nikkor 40mm F2.8 Nikon 1 Nikkor VR 10-30mm f/3.5-5.6 +6 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Glenn
Veteran MemberPosts: 6,821
Like?

did you see his wife?  Did she really have plastic pale looking skin? I often wondered about them not noticing that in their pictures...

Ponch1966
Junior MemberPosts: 31Gear list
Like?

Great reply with the camera's 12 FPS.

I would love to see some of the shots you took.

I would have welcomed the tech talk / camaraderie but not the snobbish remark.

Like you said, it's not the equipment.

Ponch1966's gear list:Ponch1966's gear list
Sony SLT-A77 Sony SLT-A57 Sony 85mm F2.8 SAM Sony DT 35mm F1.8 SAM Tamron SP 70-300mm F/4-5.6 Di VC USD +21 more
Jack R. Grouell
Contributing MemberPosts: 734
Like?

One of the pleasures of being a Sony shooter:  You don't havve to worry about being mistaken for one of those.  And by the way, some of my best friends us Canicons...  

-- hide signature --

Jack G Everett WA

EinsteinsGhost
Forum ProPosts: 10,314Gear list
Like?
In reply to Sonyshine, Feb 11, 2013

I was about to go there. At Chihuly exhibit in Dallas recently, I was walking around with my NEX and probably getting on the nerves of many “pro-look-essionals” based on the looks I was getting for simply being around (I guess they didn’t expect a “P&S” guy walking next to them and shooting using a tripod).

EinsteinsGhost's gear list:EinsteinsGhost's gear list
Sony Cyber-shot DSC-F828 Sony SLT-A55 Sony Alpha NEX-6 Sigma 18-250mm F3.5-6.3 DC OS HSM Sony 135mm F2.8 (T4.5) STF +12 more
Draek
Senior MemberPosts: 2,028Gear list
Like?

That... was an awesome reply, my hat's off to you.

Draek's gear list:Draek's gear list
Fujifilm FinePix F70EXR Samsung TL500 Canon PowerShot A1200 Sony Alpha DSLR-A390
clignus
Forum MemberPosts: 86Gear list
Like?
In reply to Sonyshine, Feb 11, 2013

Just based on comments I have read while occasionally perusing the Canon and Nikon fora/forums I have wondered if there may be a growing number of Canon and Nikon users that also own a NEX?   Probably just coincidence that I have seen a number of these and not representative of the complete Nikon/Canon cohort but it has peeked my curiosity.

clignus's gear list:clignus's gear list
Sony Cyber-shot DSC-F717 Sony SLT-A77
dlkeller
Veteran MemberPosts: 6,129
Like?
In reply to Jack R. Grouell, Feb 11, 2013

Do those friends fit the Canikon snob mode?  I've encountered a number of cankon types who were interested in and knowledgable of the Sony line.  You get these responses more from real neophytes who bought their camera by reputation and status than you do from knowledgable photographers.

-- hide signature --

Dave

JimmyMelbourne
Senior MemberPosts: 1,694Gear list
Like?

So I shot a wedding once as a guest, shooting with an a77 and an 18 - 250. The paid photographer was using 2 full frame canons a 70 - 200 2.8 and a 24 - 70 2.8 lens on either camera. We both sent the photos to the bride. Guess which photos she liked better, in terms of colour and skin tones?

JimmyMelbourne's gear list:JimmyMelbourne's gear list
Sony Alpha DSLR-A300 Sony SLT-A77 Sony SLT-A37 Sony 70-200mm F2.8 G Sony DT 18-55mm F3.5-5.6 SAM +16 more
RichV
Veteran MemberPosts: 5,898Gear list
Like?
It happens in both directions ...

There are snobs in all camps; at least they're good for occasional entertainment - and worth my own self-reflection!

-- hide signature --
 RichV's gear list:RichV's gear list
Sony RX100 Sony SLT-A77 Sony SLT-A99 Sony 70-200mm F2.8 G Sony 50mm F1.4 +6 more
njralston
Forum MemberPosts: 73Gear list
Like?
In reply to JimmyMelbourne, Feb 11, 2013

After 25+ years with Canon, I just sold all my Canon gear and bought a complete set up with a Sony A77, the 70-400, Zeiss 16-35, and Sony 50mm 1.4.   And I still have $$$ left over.  I finally (duh) figured out that the Canikon road is one of constant frustration over missing capabilities and ever increasing financial load.  I can do everything I want with this Sony kit and and get off the "next latest thing" road.

-- hide signature --

Aloha, Bud

JimmyMelbourne
Senior MemberPosts: 1,694Gear list
Like?
In reply to njralston, Feb 11, 2013

Im considering the same lenses, how do you find the 16 35 on the a77?

JimmyMelbourne's gear list:JimmyMelbourne's gear list
Sony Alpha DSLR-A300 Sony SLT-A77 Sony SLT-A37 Sony 70-200mm F2.8 G Sony DT 18-55mm F3.5-5.6 SAM +16 more
Kings1
Regular MemberPosts: 176
Like?
I've heard of that happening

The people I know that own Canon and Nikon aren't like that at all, except for one person. He honestly believes Nikons are so much better than a Sony. I asked who made the sensors for many of Nikons, but he didn't know. He was surprised to find out it was Sony from another Nikonowner as well as me.

Most of the newer DSLR and SLT  cameras can produce good if not great pictures in the hands of someone who knows how to use them.  I'd take the Canon owner's remarks with a grain of salt, clearly they are a fool to insult others....

brian14478
Senior MemberPosts: 3,488
Like?

Nice+. Your response was priceless.

Thanks for sharing, very cool....he is probably looking at sony equipment on the internet as i  write. I feel the same, if it gets it done awesome. Some people think the best equipment will almost take the pictures for them.

'The car is so smooth, it  drives itself'...not quite. Except that google thingy...brian

(what a dork)

Brian_Smith
Senior MemberPosts: 1,256
Like?

I doubt it will be your last encounter, though lately I've had a lot of fun over how many of my fellow pros are lusting for my RX1...

BrewLab
Like?
Re: I should mention...

that I did have a pleasant conversation with an elderly gentleman that was shooting a Nikon. About birds, though...he didn't seem the least bit interested in my camera. However, on his way back to where his wife was standing, he walked by the other guy and said, "Canon, huh?", shrugged and kept walking. Too much. I had no idea Sunday fowl shooting was so competitive..lol! Guess that's what happens when there's no football to watch. Oh, well. I hope everyone was as happy with their shots as I was with mine

Cheers!!

Sony Cyber-shot DSC-W150 Sony Cyber-shot DSC-H20 Sony SLT-A77 Tamron SP AF 17-50mm F/2.8 XR Di II LD Aspherical (IF) Sony DT 35mm F1.8 SAM
MediaArchivist
Contributing MemberPosts: 859Gear list
Like?

I use my a77 to photograph bands in dark bars, where it is a little more difficult to immediately tell what equipment anyone might be using. I get the Canikon fanboi evil look all the time, those are easy to ignore (the fanbois give each other the same look). When I get the snooty comments, I tell them a joke:

Q: What's the best way to keep your camera from getting stolen?

A: Put it in a Sony bag.

Usually they will leave me alone after that

Nikon fanbois (Youtube)  (funny clip-- but the comments are even better)

MediaArchivist's gear list:MediaArchivist's gear list
Sony SLT-A99 Sigma 50mm F1.4 EX DG HSM Sony 135mm F2.8 (T4.5) STF Sony 24mm F2 SSM Carl Zeiss Distagon T* Samyang 8mm F3.5 Aspherical IF MC Fisheye +15 more
BrewLab
Like?
In reply to MediaArchivist, Feb 11, 2013

MediaArchivist wrote:

I use my a77 to photograph bands in dark bars, where it is a little more difficult to immediately tell what equipment anyone might be using. I get the Canikon fanboi evil look all the time, those are easy to ignore (the fanbois give each other the same look). When I get the snooty comments, I tell them a joke:

Q: What's the best way to keep your camera from getting stolen?

A: Put it in a Sony bag.

Usually they will leave me alone after that

Nikon fanbois (Youtube) (funny clip-- but the comments are even better)

Hahaha!! That's awesome! I'm totally stealing that

Cheers!

EinsteinsGhost
Forum ProPosts: 10,314Gear list
Like?
Did you say fowl shooting? :D n/t

BrewLab wrote:

that I did have a pleasant conversation with an elderly gentleman that was shooting a Nikon. About birds, though...he didn't seem the least bit interested in my camera. However, on his way back to where his wife was standing, he walked by the other guy and said, "Canon, huh?", shrugged and kept walking. Too much. I had no idea Sunday fowl shooting was so competitive..lol! Guess that's what happens when there's no football to watch. Oh, well. I hope everyone was as happy with their shots as I was with mine

Cheers!!

EinsteinsGhost's gear list:EinsteinsGhost's gear list
Sony Cyber-shot DSC-F828 Sony SLT-A55 Sony Alpha NEX-6 Sigma 18-250mm F3.5-6.3 DC OS HSM Sony 135mm F2.8 (T4.5) STF +12 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads