X20 accessories

Started Feb 11, 2013 | Discussions
Gaze
Contributing MemberPosts: 616
Like?
X20 accessories
Feb 11, 2013

For those who have preordered the X20, which accessories have you bought in advance to be used for the upcoming X20?; for example, memory card, filters, screen protector, hot shoe cover, shutter button, extra battery, case …..

BTW, I've read that the GGS 3" screen protector ironically fits better than a 2.8" even though the X20 has a 2.8" screen???

Fujifilm X20
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
unknown member
(unknown member)
Like?
Re: X20 accessories
In reply to Gaze, Feb 11, 2013

Fortunately, all the odds + ends I have for my X10 carry over to the -20.

I don't know if you have an X10, but I use these things:

You DEFINITELY need extra batteries.  These things are so small, there's not much real estate for a big battery.  Despite skipping the usual battery-eaters (Continuous AF, etc.), they don't last very long, so get two more.

I got the Fuji leather case at a savings in an online classified.  I keep the bottom on it, so I skip the screen protector.  If you have any of the old-school threaded cable releases, that's all you need for the 10/20.  I got the Fuji adapter/lens hood on sale, but I prefer to use the 40mm Marumi digital clear and run the lens hood 'empty', as I always got dust behind the 52mm if I used it as designed.

I'll be interested to see the Fuji accessory set with the filter, hood, and pinch-style lens cap; from the pics, it seems they've brought their own EBC 40mm for this, but I'm sure I'll find out more once they're released.

As on the X100, the built-in flash is wonderfully seamless in use.  The dedicated flashes (EF20 and EF42 with bounce heads) are seamless as well.  I have both, and once took a test with the built-in, -20, and -42, and you literally could not tell which was which.  The EF42 is as big or bigger than the camera, so it almost looks as if the X is hanging off of it !  The EFX-20 is a metal bodied piece, a real fashion accessory, if you will.  No bounce, but it does slave, which I hope Fuji will include in later iterations of the other dedicated flashes.  I'm using the EF-20 quite a bit, so I don't run a hot shoe blank cover, nor a soft release:  I've been around firearms long enough to know to squeeze, not pull !  If I'm ever tight on a slow shutter, if necessary, I just preset the 2-second self-timer and freeze.  And of course, any small to medium tripod is plenty for this little camera.

All the Best,
JW

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
WillemB
Contributing MemberPosts: 669Gear list
Like?
In reply to Gaze, Feb 11, 2013

Where did you read that? By the way, I have a brass button and a 40 mm CP filter from my X10 and just have bought a Nikon WC-E68 wide angle adapter. The 40-46mm step-up ring is coming. Now looking for a self-adhesive red dot...

-- hide signature --

WillemB

WillemB's gear list:WillemB's gear list
Fujifilm FinePix X100 +1 more
Gaze
Like?
In reply to WillemB, Feb 11, 2013

WillemB,

You asked, "Where did you read that?"  Concerning the GGS screen filter, I've read that in the comments on Amazon; pages 2,4,5..

From page five for example:

"5.0 out of 5 stars Very good fit for the Fuji X10, April 21, 2012

By rp "rp" (Kennesaw, GA) - See all my reviews

"Having read another review regarding the 2.8 size not being wide enough, I decided to go with the 3.0 for the Fuji X10. Very good fit. Quality of this screen protector appears to be excellent and is very easy to apply."

==================================================

Gaijim Tourist,

I've never had a Fuji camera but that's about to change!  Yeah, I've read about that battery and I will take your advice.

As for as the flash unit, I assume that I can use my old Olympus FL-36 on it which is bigger than the X20 I think …lol  I do have several tripods including mini-tripods…my favorite is the Giotto (ball.pod).

CYF
CYF
Junior MemberPosts: 45
Like?
In reply to Gaijin Tourist, Feb 12, 2013

Gaijin Tourist wrote:

As on the X100, the built-in flash is wonderfully seamless in use. The dedicated flashes (EF20 and EF42 with bounce heads) are seamless as well. I have both, and once took a test with the built-in, -20, and -42, and you literally could not tell which was which. The EF42 is as big or bigger than the camera, so it almost looks as if the X is hanging off of it ! The EFX-20 is a metal bodied piece, a real fashion accessory, if you will. No bounce, but it does slave, which I hope Fuji will include in later iterations of the other dedicated flashes. I'm using the EF-20 quite a bit, so I don't run a hot shoe blank cover, nor a soft release: I've been around firearms long enough to know to squeeze, not pull ! If I'm ever tight on a slow shutter, if necessary, I just preset the 2-second self-timer and freeze. And of course, any small to medium tripod is plenty for this little camera.

All the Best,
JW

This is very useful to me. So for fill flash, both the built-in and EF42 will have the same effect?

evoprox
Senior MemberPosts: 1,122Gear list
Like?
In reply to Gaze, Feb 12, 2013

Same as GT, pretty much the same stuff I bought for my X10, including a Vikuti anti-reflex screen protector, UV filter and a handful! of batteries. I might get a black Gariz half case this time but first comes the X20.

-- hide signature --

'Have no fear of perfection - you'll never reach it.' Dali

evoprox's gear list:evoprox's gear list
Fujifilm X10 Sony Alpha NEX-7 Fujifilm X-Pro1 +1 more
unknown member
(unknown member)
Like?
In reply to CYF, Feb 12, 2013

CYF, at distances where either the built-in or the EF42 can be used (remember, the 42 is much stronger than the built-in, so it will reach out much further than the built-in), the Flash IQ on the X10 (and I'm assuming the same for the X20) is fantastic.  You can add/subtract flash exposure ONLY, separate from the metering system, either onboard menus or on the rear panel of the flash.  I've never owned a camera where the flash blends as seamlessly as it does.  Of course the 42 bounces and the built-in obviously doesn't.  The 42 has a swveling head as well, so you can still use bounce flash when you throw the camera up on one end for vertical framing.  But it's pretty big on the X10, so I use the EF20 (NOT the EFX20) mostly.

All the Best,
JW

evoprox
Senior MemberPosts: 1,122Gear list
Like?

Another great add-on IMO is the Metz 28 CS II. A real tiny yet powerful and very versatile optically triggered flash gun for all kinds of situations.

The last time I've used straight-in-the-face-flash was at a college party back in 1988 ... big fat Nikon F3 with motor drive and a huge Metz flash monster ... more than 6 pounds in my hands and gawd, how I loathe that look.

-- hide signature --

'Have no fear of perfection - you'll never reach it.' Dali

evoprox's gear list:evoprox's gear list
Fujifilm X10 Sony Alpha NEX-7 Fujifilm X-Pro1 +1 more
CYF
CYF
Junior MemberPosts: 45
Like?

Gaijin Tourist wrote:

CYF, at distances where either the built-in or the EF42 can be used (remember, the 42 is much stronger than the built-in, so it will reach out much further than the built-in), the Flash IQ on the X10 (and I'm assuming the same for the X20) is fantastic. You can add/subtract flash exposure ONLY, separate from the metering system, either onboard menus or on the rear panel of the flash. I've never owned a camera where the flash blends as seamlessly as it does. Of course the 42 bounces and the built-in obviously doesn't. The 42 has a swveling head as well, so you can still use bounce flash when you throw the camera up on one end for vertical framing. But it's pretty big on the X10, so I use the EF20 (NOT the EFX20) mostly.

All the Best,
JW

Thank you very much Gaijin! The EF42 will work better for me because I shoot vertical bounce too.

Gaze
Like?
In reply to CYF, Feb 13, 2013

I also thank you very much Gaijin!  There's been many times when I would have liked to take vertical shots using bounce flash but my old Olympus FL-36 couldn't do it … it only has a tilted head.  The more I read about it with comments and youtube videos the more interested I am in purchasing the EF42 for the X20.  It would be interesting to compare the two flash units as far as the light output / reach.

JJ1983
Regular MemberPosts: 142
Like?
In reply to Gaze, Feb 13, 2013

The only accesory I have hanging off my X10 is a Nintendo Wii wrist strap. I bought a box with four different colours, and feel the green goes best with the black camera.

foocando
Regular MemberPosts: 188Gear list
Like?
In reply to WillemB, Feb 14, 2013

Hi

I am seriously looking to buy this Nikon WC-E68 wide angle adapter but not sure that I need to buy another adapter to go with it to mount it on my X10 or my X20 is on its way.  Please let me know if you have any additional info.

Thank you.

foocando's gear list:foocando's gear list
Olympus XZ-2 iHS Leica D-Lux 6 Fujifilm X20 Nikon Coolpix A Sony RX100 II +28 more
WillemB
Contributing MemberPosts: 669Gear list
Like?
In reply to foocando, Feb 14, 2013

Hi 'Foocando',

The WC-E68 was originally developed for the Nikon Coolpix 5000. It has a 46 mm thread and its shortening factor is 0.68x.

The X10/X20 has a 40 mm thread, not 40.5! It's an old Canon thread and you really have to search E-Bay to find a seller for the step-up ring.

THe WC-E68 can also be used on the X100/X100s, but that camera has a thread of 49 mm and it may need an extra distance ring of 2-4 mm thickness to give optimal sharpness in the corners. It can be an old UV filter with its glass removed. This you screw between step-down ring and camera (if it was a 49 mm filter) or between WA converter and step-down ring (if it was a 46 mm filter).

I have used this WA converter with a 52 mm step-down ring on a Nikon 24 mm lens on my D200...

Regards,

-- hide signature --

WillemB

WillemB's gear list:WillemB's gear list
Fujifilm FinePix X100 +1 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads