First shots with my LX7

Started Feb 11, 2013 | Discussions
guyindasky
Regular MemberPosts: 306
Like?
First shots with my LX7
Feb 11, 2013

Well for the most part since I got my LX7 in late December I've been a lurker...reading others posts and being a voyeur and viewing others photos. Ok, well I've finally processed some of my RAW photos after building a computer that could handle Lightroom. Please feel free to offer constructive criticism as I learn more from that rather than just adding nice comments (however, those are welcome too). In regards to PP skills, I try not to take away from the composition by overcooking any treatment but I am far from being an expert.

Lobby of the Hyatt Regency in SFO.

Street vendor near the Embarcadero in SFO.

The Hyatt Regency in SFO

Vegetable stand at the Reading Market Place in Philadelphia.

Diner counter in the Reading Market Place in Philadelphia.

Vegetable stand in the Reading Market Place in Philadelphia.

On the sunny streets of SFO on a warm January day.

Panasonic Lumix DMC-LX7
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
howardfuhrman
Senior MemberPosts: 2,586
Like?
Re: First shots with my LX7
In reply to guyindasky, Feb 11, 2013

You are off to a great start--nice photos.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
morepix
Veteran MemberPosts: 7,942Gear list
Like?
Some thoughts on your set of photos

You evidently like geometric patterns: #s 1, 3, and 7. Photo #1 is a nice piece of op art, found on the floor; #3 is pleasing use of light and shadow. As for #7, I'm particular about alignment, so if it were mine, I'd nudge the lower corners to straighten out the row of stones at the bottom. Not a big thing.

They're all pleasant photos, that have, taken as a whole, little in common other than the three geometry pieces. Another preference of mine is, when I'm showing a set of photos, that they have something in common that makes them a set. I was really struck by the force of that when looking at a wonderful bunch of iPhone photos by Julieanne Kost, Adobe Photoshop evangelist. They depict the simplest of subjects displayed in pairs or threes. Have a look, if you're interested, at her "Moments Alone" series, of which she's posted three, as far as I know: 2011 , 2012 , and 2013. I hope you enjoy them as much as I have.

Thanks for showing your LX7 images. I've had an LX7 for about the same amount of time as you have, and I'm finding it a real pleasure.

-- hide signature --

David
www.pbase.com/morepix

morepix's gear list:morepix's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-LX7 Olympus Stylus 1 Olympus OM-D E-M10
guyindasky
Like?
Re: Some thoughts on your set of photos
In reply to morepix, Feb 11, 2013

morepix wrote:

You evidently like geometric patterns: #s 1, 3, and 7. Photo #1 is a nice piece of op art, found on the floor; #3 is pleasing use of light and shadow. As for #7, I'm particular about alignment, so if it were mine, I'd nudge the lower corners to straighten out the row of stones at the bottom. Not a big thing.

They're all pleasant photos, that have, taken as a whole, little in common other than the three geometry pieces. Another preference of mine is, when I'm showing a set of photos, that they have something in common that makes them a set. I was really struck by the force of that when looking at a wonderful bunch of iPhone photos by Julieanne Kost, Adobe Photoshop evangelist. They depict the simplest of subjects displayed in pairs or threes. Have a look, if you're interested, at her "Moments Alone" series, of which she's posted three, as far as I know: 2011 , 2012 , and 2013. I hope you enjoy them as much as I have.

Thanks for showing your LX7 images. I've had an LX7 for about the same amount of time as you have, and I'm finding it a real pleasure.

-- hide signature --

David
www.pbase.com/morepix

Thanks for your comments David. I do have an affinity for patterns, shape, repetition and shadows while at the same time I try and force myself out of my typical shooting style, hence my attempt at some street photography. I do like street photography and it takes a bit of effort on my part to break out of my shell and take shots of people.

I've seen some of Julieanne Kost's videos before on using LR but I'll have to take a look at those links you added to see some more of her work.

lapdog99
Regular MemberPosts: 310Gear list
Like?

The Hyatt and the Embarcadero are a photo rich area, and was one of the highlights of the  Google Plus photography walk last year.  Why didn't you shoot the dramatic hanging lights and  elevator capsules.  Nice start.

lapdog99's gear list:lapdog99's gear list
Fujifilm X100S Olympus E-M1 Olympus OM-D E-M10
Ray Sachs
Senior MemberPosts: 8,784Gear list
Like?

I love those two Hyatt shots from San Francisco. And the B&W from Reading Terminal. I live near Philly and spend a lot of time there. And I spent summers near Prescott as a kid...

Enjoy the new camera!

-Ray
-------------------------
http://www.flickr.com/photos/20889767@N05/collections/72157626204295198/

guyindasky
Like?
In reply to howardfuhrman, Feb 11, 2013

howardfuhrman wrote:

You are off to a great start--nice photos.

Thanks Howard.

guyindasky
Like?
In reply to lapdog99, Feb 11, 2013

lapdog99 wrote:

The Hyatt and the Embarcadero are a photo rich area, and was one of the highlights of the Google Plus photography walk last year. Why didn't you shoot the dramatic hanging lights and elevator capsules. Nice start.

Actually I did take some shots of of the hanging lights and elevator capsules but wasn't completely happy with the results.

Darrell Spreen
Forum ProPosts: 10,052
Like?
Great first set!

I like patterns and textures and yours are superb!  My only criticism is that the lady's portrait looks cold (a bit of a blue tone) on my monitor and is probably not the most flattering.  The old quote is: "no one ever returned a portrait for being too warm".  But forgive me if that was your intention.

-- hide signature --

Darrell

guyindasky
Like?
Re: Great first set!
In reply to Darrell Spreen, Feb 11, 2013

Darrell Spreen wrote:

I like patterns and textures and yours are superb! My only criticism is that the lady's portrait looks cold (a bit of a blue tone) on my monitor and is probably not the most flattering. The old quote is: "no one ever returned a portrait for being too warm". But forgive me if that was your intention.

-- hide signature --

Darrell

That's a good observation Darrell in regards to the "coldness" of the portrait. I'm guessing I didn't change the WB from Auto to Cloudy as the temp was 5800. Moving it up to about 7800 gave it a much better feel. Her demeanor was warm so no, it was not my intent to make her look cold despite the actual temp that day.

snap
Veteran MemberPosts: 4,928Gear list
Like?

Guy, beautiful and wonderful first series with your LX7.

It was like Déjà vu as I was looking at your images. Three weeks ago I was in SF with my LX7 and took the same Tiled Floor at Hyatt & backlit pedestrians on Market Street. 

Cheers

Rick

snap's gear list:snap's gear list
Fujifilm FinePix S100fs Panasonic Lumix DMC-LX3 Sony Cyber-shot DSC-R1 Panasonic Lumix DMC-FX580 Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ35 +19 more
guyindasky
Like?
In reply to Ray Sachs, Feb 11, 2013

Ray Sachs wrote:

I love those two Hyatt shots from San Francisco. And the B&W from Reading Terminal. I live near Philly and spend a lot of time there. And I spent summers near Prescott as a kid...

Enjoy the new camera!

-Ray
-------------------------
http://www.flickr.com/photos/20889767@N05/collections/72157626204295198/

Thanks Ray, it's such a small world. Places like Philly and SFO are rich with material to shoot. Sometimes the only problem is not being visually distracted with all the options. I'm guessing you have been to Eastern State Penitentiary at some point in time...a bit touristy but a great old facility.

guyindasky
Like?
In reply to snap, Feb 11, 2013

snap wrote:

Guy, beautiful and wonderful first series with your LX7.

It was like Déjà vu as I was looking at your images. Three weeks ago I was in SF with my LX7 and took the same Tiled Floor at Hyatt & backlit pedestrians on Market Street.

Cheers

Rick

Very nice shots Rick...apparently you and I share a similar eye when it comes to photography.

guyindasky
Like?
Re: Some thoughts on your set of photos
In reply to morepix, Feb 11, 2013

morepix wrote:

-- hide signature --

David
www.pbase.com/morepix

Thanks for the suggestion on straightening the bricks...I tried that and I definitely like that better.

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads