Sony E-Mount 10-18 f4 or Tokina 11-16 f2.8

Started Feb 10, 2013 | Discussions
baidun
New MemberPosts: 10
Like?
Sony E-Mount 10-18 f4 or Tokina 11-16 f2.8
Feb 10, 2013

I was wondering if anyone had experience with these two lenses and could provide Pros and Cons? I'm a total newb and have just finished reading Friedman's Sony Nex-7 book a couple of times (and still trying to understand it all), but I've become enamoured at manual focusing (yet very slow at it and miss many shots because of it). I've searched this site but don't see much regarding the Tokina lens. I have a variety of legacy lenses (35mm and up) along with the original SEL 18-200 (my favorite all around lens), the SEL 50, and the SEL 24. I need a wider angle lens for both outdoor and indoor shots, so I figure a wide angle zoom lens that is somewhat fast would be goodness. The Sony seems very nice, albeit a bit slow and more expensive. I'm not sure, but I don't think OSS would be a big factor at these wide angles, especially outdoors? The Tokina seems great spec-wise and less expensive. I don't do RAW as I haven't figured our Photoshop or Lightroom or any of those SW tools.  Does anyone have experience with the Tokina?

Regards

Sony Alpha NEX-7
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
aap292
Regular MemberPosts: 132
Like?
Re: Sony E-Mount 10-18 f4 or Tokina 11-16 f2.8
In reply to baidun, Feb 10, 2013

I think one thing you might consider is that the 10-18 would have lens correction (including distortion) from your NEX. Since you aren't using RAW, then you might have some distortion in your shots that wouldn't get corrected (I think) on the Tokina.

I'm a newbie too, so I'm sure someone else can comment on this.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Clayton1985
Veteran MemberPosts: 4,049
Like?
In reply to baidun, Feb 10, 2013

I've used the Tokina with the A77 and it is a great lens.   It is considerably heavier and bulkier especially with the adapter.   I think you will be happy with the image quality of both so I guess it depends on whether you want the f2.8 and lower price more than the lighter, smaller 10-18 f4.

I would also be aware of the potential for color cast with the NEX 7.   I'm not sure how the Tokina 11-16 fares with the NEX 7 but the 10-18 does exhibit the issue from time to time although most people seem to have concluded that it isn't bad enough to be a deal breaker and can be corrected in post.

Dennishh
Contributing MemberPosts: 505Gear list
Like?
In reply to Clayton1985, Feb 11, 2013

The 10-18 is always on my NEX-7 and I just love this lens. Not heavy or to large. Very sharp plus the stabilization keeps everything sharp. I would highly recommend this lens.

Dennishh's gear list:Dennishh's gear list
Nikon D800E Sony Alpha 7R Nikon AF-S Nikkor 14-24mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF-S Nikkor 50mm f/1.4G Nikon AF Nikkor 24mm f/2.8D +3 more
baidun
Like?
In reply to aap292, Feb 11, 2013

Good point, given I shoot JPEG-only for now, the in-camera lens correction could be an important factor. I had not thought of that. Some of the images with the Sony that others have posted on this site are incredible. Wish I has access to some taken with the Tokina.

baidun
Like?
In reply to Dennishh, Feb 11, 2013

Good to know. Do you have any experience in low light indoors with the lens?

garwood71
Forum MemberPosts: 82Gear list
Like?
In reply to baidun, Feb 11, 2013

The OSS will allow you to slow the speed down by a couple/few stops and brighten things up. 2.8 probably won't be sharp and that's shallow for a wide angle.

garwood71's gear list:garwood71's gear list
Sony Alpha NEX-5N +3 more
indybird
Junior MemberPosts: 29Gear list
Like?

I've been using the Tokina 11-16 + LA-EA2 for almost a month now and so far I've mostly loved it. The combo focuses fast and accurately in most situations other than low-light (but thats to be expected). This lens is super-sharp even wide open, and also has great contrast.

There are sometimes I wish I had a little more zoom range like the 10-18mm, but I love the wide aperture too much to make that trade.

Before my purchase I did a lot of research between the two and came to these conclusions:

I'd buy the Tokina 11-16 if you:

-Often take shots with moving subjects

-Are looking to squeeze a little bit of background blur out of your shots

-Prefer a mechanical focus ring (as opposed to the focus-by-wire of E-Mount lenses)

-Are looking for slightly faster/more accurate focus (Thanks to LA-EA2)

I'd buy the Sony 10-18 if you:

-Mostly shoot stills

-Need a relatively compact or lightweight lens (The Tokina + LA-EA2 is very big and very heavy)

-Rely on in-camera lens corrections

-Are looking for a slightly more practical zoom range

indybird's gear list:indybird's gear list
Olympus PEN E-P5 Olympus E-M1 Panasonic Leica D Summilux Asph 25mm F1.4 Olympus 12-40mm F2.8 Panasonic Leica DG Summilux 15mm F1.7 ASPH +3 more
kazkioken
Contributing MemberPosts: 534
Like?

One more option to consider:

If you don't mind the cost, you might want to consider getting the Metabones Speed Booster, and get a Canon copy of the Tokina lens.  You end up with a true full frame 11-16mm f2 from the stop increase.  I have the 10-18, and really love it - the stabilization is great and I use this for a lot of photo and video work as well.  I use my Voigt 15mm for serious landscape work, but the 10-18 is very close.

And now as I type this, it would be pretty amazing to have an f2.0 full frame 11-16mm on my Nex.  Was waiting for the FD version of the Speed Booster but might just get the current EF...

-- hide signature --
kev777zero
Senior MemberPosts: 1,476Gear list
Like?

I have neither, but I have several E-mount and A-mount lenses with LA-EA2. My vote will go for the E-mount because of size and weight. Any DSLR/SLT lenses becomes much larger on the NEX, and very bad in ergonomics. I would only go for A-mount lenses that don't exist on the E-mount yet (fast zooms, extra reach, telephoto primes/macros, etc...). Tokina is 1 stop faster, but 10-18mm has OSS. And wide zooms autofocus much better to begin with so the faster AF part is rather irrelevant. just my 2 cents.

kev777zero's gear list:kev777zero's gear list
Sony Alpha NEX-3 Sony Alpha NEX-5N NEX5R Sony E 16mm F2.8 Pancake Tamron AF 28-75mm F/2.8 XR Di LD Aspherical (IF) +4 more
Koko Monstrum
New MemberPosts: 8
Like?
In reply to kazkioken, Feb 11, 2013

If you don't mind the cost, you might want to consider getting the Metabones Speed Booster, and get a Canon copy of the Tokina lens. You end up with a true full frame 11-16mm f2 from the stop increase. I have the 10-18, and really love it - the stabilization is great and I use this for a lot of photo and video work as well. I use my Voigt 15mm for serious landscape work, but the 10-18 is very close.

And now as I type this, it would be pretty amazing to have an f2.0 full frame 11-16mm on my Nex. Was waiting for the FD version of the Speed Booster but might just get the current EF...

The Tokina is a DX lens and would not work well on the Speed Booster.

-- hide signature --
Nikolai Vassiliev
Regular MemberPosts: 284Gear list
Like?
In reply to indybird, Feb 11, 2013

10-18 also has OSS - very useful for video.

-- hide signature --
 Nikolai Vassiliev's gear list:Nikolai Vassiliev's gear list
Sony Alpha DSLR-A900 Sony 24mm F2 SSM Carl Zeiss Distagon T* Sony 85mm F2.8 SAM Sigma 12-24mm F4.5-5.6 EX DG Aspherical HSM Samyang T-S 24mm 1:3.5 ED AS UMC +3 more
baidun
Like?
In reply to kazkioken, Feb 11, 2013

Thanks for all the replies and feedback. I'm going to have to get to the bottom of things and just make a decision - I think either lens can be resold if I decide incorrectly for me.

The size/weight of the Tokina doesn't bother me too much as I routinely carry the SEL18-200 (original) lens on my Nex 7, love the versatility and IQ, and am used to the weight. I do take videos with the setup, so the OSS in the Sony 10-18 would be helpful and may make up for the difference between f4 and f2.8. I can get the Tokina in used but excellent condition for about 400 less than the Sony; the Sony is too new to be found used. When it comes to lenses, especially in the size I use a lot, I don't like to skimp and tend to put IQ and low light capability at the top of my priority list. In-camera lens correction may end up being a decision factor for me, but being forced into learning Lightroom isn't a bad thing either:)

Regards,

Dennishh
Contributing MemberPosts: 505Gear list
Like?

I have been loaning this camera to my son to use on assignments at work. He's been using the combination on totally automatic mode which shoots at f4 with the flash bouncing off the ceiling. The images have been very sharp.

Dennishh's gear list:Dennishh's gear list
Nikon D800E Sony Alpha 7R Nikon AF-S Nikkor 14-24mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF-S Nikkor 50mm f/1.4G Nikon AF Nikkor 24mm f/2.8D +3 more
Jefenator
Senior MemberPosts: 1,460Gear list
Like?

I briefly had the Tokina 11-16 with the LA-EA1 adapter and found the combination to be objectionably bulky. I am an enthusiastic legacy lens user - none of my old Nikkor or Canon primes bug me that way - not even the FL 55/1.2 or the Micro-Nikkor 105/2.8. But for some reason, I felt that Tokina 11-16 would have been a drag to deal with. (Can't just tote it in a jacket pocket, the way I like to do with all my primes...) Since I had a bad copy, returning it was a no-brainer.

A good copy, delivering sharp renderings as per the lens' reputation, that might be a tougher call. The Sony's size point would be a major consideration and would probably win me over if IQ were in the same ballpark. (Speed and focus feel would be very minor considerations for me in a lens of this type.)

As it is, I'm looking hard at the Voigtlander 15mm - or maybe that Zeiss 12mm when it comes out.

Jefenator's gear list:Jefenator's gear list
Sony Alpha 7 Sony Alpha NEX-7 Canon EOS M Sigma 30mm F2.8 EX DN Canon EF-M 22mm f/2 STM +1 more
joun
Junior MemberPosts: 37
Like?
In reply to Koko Monstrum, Feb 11, 2013

apparently it's quite usable at the 16mm end with the Speed Booster, but at 11mm you get vignetting. Same as using it on a FF camera body

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads