Tripod fitting these constraints?

Started Feb 10, 2013 | Discussions
river251
Regular MemberPosts: 227
Like?
Tripod fitting these constraints?
Feb 10, 2013

I'm going to post a query again, now that I have an idea of what I need. I just got a D7000 + 18-105 on Black Friday sale. I am having a bit of trouble finding a tripod that fits these needs. Thanks very much for your help (and feel free to correct any misconceptions I have):

====Thanks for any suggestions. It's bee surprisingly hard to find one.
====
- Number of sections = 4 or less, but willing to consider 5 (Hogan says that's bad)
- Leg locks = flip levers preferred, but will consider anything
- Material = carbon fiber or aluminum
- Weight capacity = 12lbs or more, D7000 and up to 300 lens in windy desert
- Folded length = < 22" (to fit in my motorcycle side bag, shorter is definitely better)
- Max height = 64" or more (I am 6' and want eye level for landscapes)
-- hide signature --

You're as happy as you think you are.

Nikon D7000
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Kuppenbender
Senior MemberPosts: 1,803Gear list
Like?
Feisol ct3442
In reply to river251, Feb 10, 2013

Feisol ct3442 rapid

Height 69" (with optional centre column)

Folded length 19"

Weight capacity 22lb

The main sticking point (apart from the need for an extended centre column) would be the ring leg-locks, but you'll get used to them.

One thing to bear in mind when you're comparing other tripods, a tripod head will add an aditional 3 or 4 inches to the maximum height and often to the folded length. You can remove the head each time you put it away, but that would be a major inconvenience.

The Feisol and other 'systematic' style tripods will fold the legs over the ballhead, so the folded length remains the same.

If you go with the Feisol or similar tripod, I'd suggest trying it without the centre column first. You may find it's tall enough. Extended centre columns adversely affect stability.

Kuppenbender's gear list:Kuppenbender's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX1 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 14-45mm F3.5-5.6 ASPH OIS Panasonic Lumix G Vario 45-200mm F4-5.6 OIS +1 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Nigel Wilkins
Senior MemberPosts: 1,006
Like?
Re: Tripod fitting these constraints?
In reply to river251, Feb 10, 2013

river251 wrote:

I'm going to post a query again, now that I have an idea of what I need. I just got a D7000 + 18-105 on Black Friday sale. I am having a bit of trouble finding a tripod that fits these needs. Thanks very much for your help (and feel free to correct any misconceptions I have):

====Thanks for any suggestions. It's bee surprisingly hard to find one.
====
- Number of sections = 4 or less, but willing to consider 5 (Hogan says that's bad)
- Folded length = < 22" (to fit in my motorcycle side bag, shorter is definitely better)
-- hide signature --

Benro C2182T

Max height = 52" legs only, but 63 1/2" with column attached.  Depending on the head you intend to use, this may not be required.

Folded length = 19 1/2"

Weight capacity = 26ibs

Material = Carbon fibre

Leg locks = twist locks

Number of sections = 4

Weight = 2.8lbs.

It also folds flat, so will take up substantially less space in your bag.  They do others that may suit you better, but for the price, quality is excellent.

Mine came from China via ebay.

Benro USA

river251
Like?
Re: Feisol ct3442
In reply to Kuppenbender, Feb 10, 2013

Kuppenbender wrote:

Feisol ct3442 rapid

Folded length 19"

Weight capacity 22lb

The main sticking point (apart from the need for an extended centre column) would be the ring leg-locks, but you'll get used to them.

One thing to bear in mind when you're comparing other tripods, a tripod head will add an aditional 3 or 4 inches to the maximum height and often to the folded length. You can remove the head each time you put it away, but that would be a major inconvenience.

The Feisol and other 'systematic' style tripods will fold the legs over the ballhead, so the folded length remains the same.

If you go with the Feisol or similar tripod, I'd suggest trying it without the centre column first. You may find it's tall enough. Extended centre columns adversely affect stability.

Oh, you raise a good point. These tripods that fold back over themselves to be compact have limited space between the legs for a head. I'm sure my Bogen 3030 would not fit. And the included ball heads on these don't seem great. This may be a big point of compromise. Even the Manfrotto 055 four section that fold to 22" probably are lots longer with the head.

Hmmm, this changes the picture...

-- hide signature --

NancyP
Senior MemberPosts: 3,766Gear list
Like?
In reply to river251, Feb 15, 2013

You can buy the head separate from the legs. If I get a smaller tripod, I would likely go for a high-quality small head, one size down from the biggest head the manufacturer makes. ArcaSwiss p0, Markins Q3 or Q10, and RRS 30 and 25 sizes are some examples of top-quality small heads.

I have been very happy with my "systematic" style (no center column) Feisol CT 3472, the big brother (38 mm diameter legs) of the CT 3442, mounted with a ArcaSwiss Z1sp ball head, and compatible with a half gimbal for 400mm lens. This is great for birds, overkill for landscapes. When I get too annoyed with hiking with the thing, I may downsize to a 27 mm diameter leg compact tripod kit.

NancyP's gear list:NancyP's gear list
Sigma DP3 Merrill
river251
Like?
In reply to NancyP, Feb 15, 2013

NancyP wrote:

You can buy the head separate from the legs. If I get a smaller tripod, I would likely go for a high-quality small head, one size down from the biggest head the manufacturer makes. ArcaSwiss p0, Markins Q3 or Q10, and RRS 30 and 25 sizes are some examples of top-quality small heads.

I have been very happy with my "systematic" style (no center column) Feisol CT 3472, the big brother (38 mm diameter legs) of the CT 3442, mounted with a ArcaSwiss Z1sp ball head, and compatible with a half gimbal for 400mm lens. This is great for birds, overkill for landscapes. When I get too annoyed with hiking with the thing, I may downsize to a 27 mm diameter leg compact tripod kit.

Thanks much Nancy. Can you help me understand what "headless" tripods are about? Is it that the legs are made long enough that you can go without a center column and mount the head directly to the legs, to avoid the weaker support of the center column? I do notice it usually is with more heavy duty tripods, but it seems like you should be able to mount the head to the legs with any tripod, so I don't understand if there is something special about a purpose built headless tripod.....??

Thanks

Jim

-- hide signature --

river251
Like?
In reply to Kuppenbender, Feb 15, 2013

Kuppenbender wrote:

Feisol ct3442 rapid

Folded length 19"

Weight capacity 22lb

Kuppenbender, when you have a tripod in which the legs fold back over the head, does this limit the space for the head, and thus limit what head can be used? Indeed limit it to the head that comes with it? Having to fit into such a small space, I would think the ball must be small, so that with these kinds of tripods you are limiting the solidness of the head. Of course the advantages for travel probably outweight the disadvantages of the head. But this will be my one and only tripod, and solidity is really important.

I made a mistake in my first post. I need the tripod to be 22" or less because if it is longer, I will see it in my rear view mirrors on my ST1300 tourer. I have a luggage rack and will carry the tripod sitting sideways across it. I was mistaken about putting it inside the luggage.

How hard is it to remove the head from the legs? I frequently pull over for a quick shot of something. One of the points of the trip.

Jim

-- hide signature --

Hank3152
Forum ProPosts: 12,466Gear list
Like?

Depending on your budget you may find a suitable series matching your quest from Gitzo. However they don't use lever leg locks as don't other premium tripod makers like RRS. Twist leg locks are quicker, more secure, less prone to break or creep, and less obtrusive when folded/stowed.

http://www.gitzo.us/photo-tripods

Hank3152's gear list:Hank3152's gear list
Canon PowerShot S95 Canon EOS 5D Mark II Canon EOS-1D Mark IV Canon EF 300mm f/4.0L IS USM Canon EF 100mm f/2.8L Macro IS USM +5 more
river251
Like?
In reply to Hank3152, Feb 15, 2013

Hank3152 wrote:

Depending on your budget you may find a suitable series matching your quest from Gitzo. However they don't use lever leg locks as don't other premium tripod makers like RRS. Twist leg locks are quicker, more secure, less prone to break or creep, and less obtrusive when folded/stowed.

Thanks Hank. I have only used levers, which seem fast, and I imagined you would have to twist each setion's lock whereas with levers you can hit them all at once. Can you give one twist to all of the twist locks at once? (I mean on one leg, not the whole tripod )

Jim

-- hide signature --

Kuppenbender
Senior MemberPosts: 1,803Gear list
Like?

river251 wrote:

Kuppenbender, when you have a tripod in which the legs fold back over the head, does this limit the space for the head, and thus limit what head can be used?

There are two kinds of tripods where the legs fold over the head. Gitzo (and others) call these 'Traveller 'and 'systematic'.

The Traveller-style tripods are very small. They have a non-removable centre column and, as you say, are limited to small ballheads. You can use bigger heads, but the legs won't fold all the way down. Traveller-style tripods need the centre column extended to achieve a reasonable height. For this reason they are not suitable for heavier camera/lens combinations.

Of course the advantages for travel probably outweight the disadvantages of the head. But this will be my one and only tripod, and solidity is really important.

The 'Systematic' style of tripod (Feisol call them 'Tournament- class') are more solid. They are a couple of inches longer than the Traveller-style tripods when folded, but that allows them to extend higher and without a centre column (centre columns are available to get even higher). If you follow the link you'll see the plate at the top of the legs is over 3" in diameter and will easily accommodate a ballhead 2 1/2" in diameter with the legs folded over the head.

How hard is it to remove the head from the legs? I frequently pull over for a quick shot of something. One of the points of the trip.

That all depends on how tight you screw the head on. Some people carry their tripods short distances with the legs extended and the camera attached. If your head is too loosely screwed on, your camera might one crashing to the ground.

Kuppenbender's gear list:Kuppenbender's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX1 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 14-45mm F3.5-5.6 ASPH OIS Panasonic Lumix G Vario 45-200mm F4-5.6 OIS +1 more
river251
Like?
In reply to Kuppenbender, Feb 15, 2013

Kuppenbender wrote:

river251 wrote:

Kuppenbender, when you have a tripod in which the legs fold back over the head, does this limit the space for the head, and thus limit what head can be used?

There are two kinds of tripods where the legs fold over the head. Gitzo (and others) call these 'Traveller 'and 'systematic'.

The Traveller-style tripods are very small. They have a non-removable centre column and, as you say, are limited to small ballheads. You can use bigger heads, but the legs won't fold all the way down. Traveller-style tripods need the centre column extended to achieve a reasonable height. For this reason they are not suitable for heavier camera/lens combinations.

Of course the advantages for travel probably outweight the disadvantages of the head. But this will be my one and only tripod, and solidity is really important.

The 'Systematic' style of tripod (Feisol call them 'Tournament- class') are more solid. They are a couple of inches longer than the Traveller-style tripods when folded, but that allows them to extend higher and without a centre column (centre columns are available to get even higher). If you follow the link you'll see the plate at the top of the legs is over 3" in diameter and will easily accommodate a ballhead 2 1/2" in diameter with the legs folded over the head.

That all depends on how tight you screw the head on. Some people carry their tripods short distances with the legs extended and the camera attached. If your head is too loosely screwed on, your camera might one crashing to the ground.

Thanks very much for the thorough explanation! I think I can shop knowledgeably now...

Thanks

Jim

-- hide signature --

Hank3152
Like?

river251 wrote:

Hank3152 wrote:

Depending on your budget you may find a suitable series matching your quest from Gitzo. However they don't use lever leg locks as don't other premium tripod makers like RRS. Twist leg locks are quicker, more secure, less prone to break or creep, and less obtrusive when folded/stowed.

Thanks Hank. I have only used levers, which seem fast, and I imagined you would have to twist each setion's lock whereas with levers you can hit them all at once. Can you give one twist to all of the twist locks at once? (I mean on one leg, not the whole tripod )

Yes, since they are all grouped when compressed, just like this monopod below.........just wrap your hand around 3 of them at once and give it a 1/4 turn.

My first tripods were by Manfrotto and I thought levers were the way to go until I bought a Gitzo and now see why the premium ones all use twist locks for the aformentioned reasons. Besides, the legs do not rotate either, they just slide straight out........

Canon PowerShot S95 Canon EOS 5D Mark II Canon EOS-1D Mark IV Canon EF 300mm f/4.0L IS USM Canon EF 100mm f/2.8L Macro IS USM +5 more
confyushis
Contributing MemberPosts: 856Gear list
Like?
sirui tripod

river251 wrote:

the sirui n-2204 (carbon fiber, $405) and the n-2004 (aluminum, $185) ... same specs, different materials ... try searching at bhphoto.com or adorama.com if in the USA ...

a video showing the tripod and twist-lock legs is here:

sirui n-2204

good luck ...

confyushis's gear list:confyushis's gear list
Canon EOS 550D Canon EF-S 15-85mm f/3.5-5.6 IS USM Sigma 30mm F1.4 EX DC HSM Sigma 8-16mm F4.5-5.6 DC HSM Sigma 17-50mm F2.8 EX DC OS HSM +1 more
river251
Like?
In reply to Hank3152, Feb 16, 2013

Hank3152 wrote:

river251 wrote:

Hank3152 wrote:

Yes, since they are all grouped when compressed, just like this monopod below.........just wrap your hand around 3 of them at once and give it a 1/4 turn.

My first tripods were by Manfrotto and I thought levers were the way to go until I bought a Gitzo and now see why the premium ones all use twist locks for the aformentioned reasons. Besides, the legs do not rotate either, they just slide straight out........

Thanks again Hank. I was also wondering if the legs twisted or just came out straight. Is this also true for the older Gitzos like the G1228, which I've been watching, since they are a bit more affordable than the newer line....

Thanks

Jim

-- hide signature --

river251
Like?
Re: sirui tripod
In reply to confyushis, Feb 16, 2013

confyushis wrote:

river251 wrote:

the sirui n-2204 (carbon fiber, $405) and the n-2004 (aluminum, $185) ... same specs, different materials ... try searching at bhphoto.com or adorama.com if in the USA ...

a video showing the tripod and twist-lock legs is here:

sirui n-2204

good luck ...

Thanks, confyushis, that's another one I'm looking at....with the Benro. I can't seem to get a good sounding on whether the Benrus, Feisel, Sirui etc are as rigid as the Gitzo.

-- hide signature --

Hank3152
Like?
In reply to river251, Feb 16, 2013

river251 wrote:

Thanks again Hank. I was also wondering if the legs twisted or just came out straight. Is this also true for the older Gitzos like the G1228, which I've been watching, since they are a bit more affordable than the newer line....

You may have to contact Gitzo for a definitive answer......
http://www.gitzo.us/Footer/contact+us/Contact+Us/3661034

.......even the reviews didn't say one way or another. The 4th review mentions it but it's for a different model........Here's a few reviews:

http://www.fredmiranda.com/reviews/showproduct.php?product=142

river251
Like?
In reply to Hank3152, Apr 18, 2013

Hank3152 wrote:

river251 wrote:

You may have to contact Gitzo for a definitive answer......
http://www.gitzo.us/Footer/contact+us/Contact+Us/3661034

.......even the reviews didn't say one way or another. The 4th review mentions it but it's for a different model........Here's a few reviews:

http://www.fredmiranda.com/reviews/showproduct.php?product=142

Thanks much Hank, and thanks for the links.

Jim

-- hide signature --

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads