R3000 ink levels display

Started Feb 10, 2013 | Discussions
Jay Reeves
Contributing MemberPosts: 635
Like?
R3000 ink levels display
Feb 10, 2013

Due to a system rebuild and fresh OS install I needed to re-install the software and driver for the Epson R3000.  Everything is working well except the ink level display on the main page in printing preferences window is not registering ink - all inks are grey - as if the printer is not turned on, when in fact, it is.

System is Cone inks and carts - Win 7 - wireless connection.  I am able to print and the ink level display shows on the printer display.  All was working prior to the re-install.

Would it make sense to pull the carts and reset them?  Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Jay

Phil Hill
Senior MemberPosts: 2,616Gear list
Like?
Re: R3000 ink levels display
In reply to Jay Reeves, Feb 10, 2013

You might need to install and configure the EpsonNet utility (available from the web site).

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Vernon D Rainwater
Forum ProPosts: 12,126
Like?

Jay Reeves wrote:

Due to a system rebuild and fresh OS install I needed to re-install the software and driver for the Epson R3000. Everything is working well except the ink level display on the main page in printing preferences window is not registering ink - all inks are grey - as if the printer is not turned on, when in fact, it is.

System is Cone inks and carts - Win 7 - wireless connection. I am able to print and the ink level display shows on the printer display. All was working prior to the re-install.

Would it make sense to pull the carts and reset them? Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Jay

Hello Jay,

I believe petruska (Bob) uses the R3000 with cone inks and cartridges.  Hopefully He will see your post and respond.  I don't know if You and He use the same type systems (PC or MAC).  You may have already mentioned which you use.

-- hide signature --

Vernon...

jtoolman
Senior MemberPosts: 4,514
Like?
In reply to Vernon D Rainwater, Feb 10, 2013

Vernon D Rainwater wrote:

Jay Reeves wrote:

Due to a system rebuild and fresh OS install I needed to re-install the software and driver for the Epson R3000. Everything is working well except the ink level display on the main page in printing preferences window is not registering ink - all inks are grey - as if the printer is not turned on, when in fact, it is.

System is Cone inks and carts - Win 7 - wireless connection. I am able to print and the ink level display shows on the printer display. All was working prior to the re-install.

Would it make sense to pull the carts and reset them? Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Jay

Hello Jay,

I believe petruska (Bob) uses the R3000 with cone inks and cartridges. Hopefully He will see your post and respond. I don't know if You and He use the same type systems (PC or MAC). You may have already mentioned which you use.

-- hide signature --

Vernon...

He use a PC so he has no problems.

The weird problems with Epson Printers are always with the latest MAC OSs

Jay Reeves
Like?
In reply to Phil Hill, Feb 10, 2013

Phil Hill wrote:

You might need to install and configure the EpsonNet utility (available from the web site).

Hi Phil,

Unless you are talking about something different, I do have that installed - it is the wireless network setup?  I had help from a computer wizard to set the wireless up - mostly the issue was IP address issues.  In addition to going through that setup the router needed to be set up with a static IP for the printer.  So the printer now does everything wireless - prints and nozzle check, but no display of the ink levels.

I could learn to live with not having the display show, but it is a little like having a new car with one of the hub caps missing - some of the pazazz is gone.  I was hoping this was one of those things where somone would say, Oh yeah, go check this or that box.

I haven't tried resetting the carts, but it seems that since they register on the printer display that would not be a likely fix.

Jay

Jay Reeves
Like?

Using Windows 7 - had this printer working previously - this is on a new OS install due to mother board and hard drive replacement - previous install was Win7 - this install is Win7.

Phil Hill
Like?

Check your Start Menu to see whether EpsonNet is installed.  If it's there, make sure that it can see your printer.  If you don't find it you can get it from Epson's download page.  In fact, you should also be using the current downloadable drivers, and there even have been a couple of firmware updates.

Phil Hill
Like?

Also, don’t share the printer unless you have to.  I’m pretty sure I read that Epson doesn’t support the levels display for shared printers.

Jay Reeves
Like?
In reply to Phil Hill, Feb 11, 2013

Phil Hill wrote:

Check your Start Menu to see whether EpsonNet is installed. If it's there, make sure that it can see your printer. If you don't find it you can get it from Epson's download page. In fact, you should also be using the current downloadable drivers, and there even have been a couple of firmware updates.

I do have EpsonNet Setup.  Ran it again tonight and ...

in the Select a Printer window the printer shows, but status is "Network Not Set", MAC Address is correct, and Ip address says "NONE".

Here is the error message ---

"The printer's network configuration is incomplete.

Check the printer's IP address, Subnet Mask, and Default Gateway.

If DHCP is enabled in your network, we recommend selecting "Acquire the IP Address Automatically Using DHCP (Recommended)" in "IP Address Settings".

After confirming the IP settings, try the "Printer Diagnostic Check" again and confirm that the printer is correctly configured."

So Phil, thanks for being stubborn with your advice - now I just need to figure out how to set this up.  Perhaps I need to figure out how to get into my Linksys router to see what IP the person helping me set it up as.  The issue, as best as I can understand it is that the IP in the router needs to be set to static and that is what the computer wiz did.

I'll work on this and let you know how it goes.  If I can't do this in five minutes then it will be a couple of days before I can go at it again.

Thanks for your patience and help,

Jay

Phil Hill
Like?
In reply to Jay Reeves, Feb 11, 2013

You can find the printer's IP address (and other network settings) on the printer's own menu.  If that doesn't solve your problem then there might be a setting that you need to tweak on the printer, the router or your PC.

Sal Baker
Veteran MemberPosts: 7,813Gear list
Like?
In reply to jtoolman, Feb 11, 2013

jtoolman wrote:

Vernon D Rainwater wrote:

Jay Reeves wrote:

Thanks,

Jay

Hello Jay,

I believe petruska (Bob) uses the R3000 with cone inks and cartridges. Hopefully He will see your post and respond. I don't know if You and He use the same type systems (PC or MAC). You may have already mentioned which you use.

-- hide signature --

Vernon...

He use a PC so he has no problems.

The weird problems with Epson Printers are always with the latest MAC OSs

Incorrect.  This weird Epson problem is with a PC.

Sal

Sal Baker's gear list:Sal Baker's gear list
Canon EOS 5D Mark II Canon EOS 350D Fujifilm X-E2 Canon EF 50mm f/1.4 USM Canon EF 85mm f/1.8 USM +5 more
printwoeman
New MemberPosts: 9
Like?
In reply to Sal Baker, Mar 31, 2013

Just a thought.  It may be mostly for newer models (dunno), but seems Epson - maybe others - have new bag of tricks.  Been reported that after software updates - perhaps mainly firmware - prtrs no longer recognized non OEM carts, of any kind. http://www.nifty-stuff.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=7415

I just bought / installed Epson WF 3540.  Used wireless connection.  Soon as install finished, W/O WARNING OR ASKING, it said "was checking for firmware updates."  If I'd known possible implications, could've pulled power cord.  Was no "Stop," "Cancel" buttons - nothing.  It finished in well under 1 min.

Don't know yet if it's not going to recognize compatibles or refillables.  Don't have any & sure not going to invest in refill kit until find out more.

Deal is, if set up wireless conn., & enter router PW during setup, it can dial out as it wants.  If use ethernet or USB method, can disconn internet during install & then set software to "never check updates."  Even create FW rules not to let Epson access web.

Some report other mfgs may be doing same thing - so beware.

I've yet to find more recent updates on this issue - don't know if solution has been found.

camerashy
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,501Gear list
Like?
In reply to printwoeman, Mar 31, 2013

There has apparently been no problems installing the latest drivers and firmware for the R3000

http://www.dpreview.com/forums/post/51171741

interested to hear if others find a source of conflict

dave

-- hide signature --

pbase supporter at www.pbase.com/dav4184
for equipment see profile

camerashy's gear list:camerashy's gear list
Nikon D800
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads