Best starting lens set

Started Feb 9, 2013 | Questions
gavin
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,242Gear list
Like?
Best starting lens set
Feb 9, 2013

Hi, I am helping a friend buy a small DSLR and is pointing her to the OM-D. I know nothing about Olympus lens or M4/3 lens. So what are the best lens if

1) 2 lens set: something like 12-50ish and 70-300mm? I would like to find a fast lens say 2.8? I saw a new tele zoom coming out?

2) 1 super zoom lens. I saw 14-150mm.

3) Should I get olympus or other M4/3?

Thanks

Gavin

-- hide signature --

What camera do I have? I rather you look at my photos www.flickr.com/photos/gavinz

gavin's gear list:gavin's gear list
Sony RX100 Pentax WG-3 Canon EOS 5D Mark II Canon EF 50mm f/1.4 USM Canon EF 24-70mm f/2.8L USM +2 more
ANSWER:
This question has not been answered yet.
Barry Stewart
Veteran MemberPosts: 8,099Gear list
Like?
Other forum
In reply to gavin, Feb 9, 2013

Gavin, you'll get more responses in the M4/3 forum, which is one click under the Olympus SLR forum.

Thanks for the steering your friend toward the O-MD camera. If money or size/weight are a concern, I can certainly recommend the E-PL5, which is smaller and lighter than the O-MD but not as robust (and not weather-proofed.) The 14-42 kit lens is okay... but I sure hope Oly comes out with a better general-purpose lens, such as the wonderful 14-54 on the regular 4/3 mount.

-- hide signature --

Barry

Barry Stewart's gear list:Barry Stewart's gear list
Olympus C-5060 Wide Zoom Olympus Tough TG-3 Olympus E-1 Olympus PEN E-PL5 Olympus E-M1 +10 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Craig from Nevada
Contributing MemberPosts: 625Gear list
Like?
Re: Best starting lens set
In reply to gavin, Feb 9, 2013

gavin wrote:

Hi, I am helping a friend buy a small DSLR and is pointing her to the OM-D. I know nothing about Olympus lens or M4/3 lens. So what are the best lens if

1) 2 lens set: something like 12-50ish and 70-300mm? I would like to find a fast lens say 2.8? I saw a new tele zoom coming out?

2) 1 super zoom lens. I saw 14-150mm.

3) Should I get olympus or other M4/3?

Thanks

Gavin

-- hide signature --

What camera do I have? I rather you look at my photos www.flickr.com/photos/gavinz

You can pick up a new e-pl2 for between $300 and $350 on Amazon.  You can get a 40-150mm lens pretty cheap on ebay.  You can save plenty by going this path.  Upgrade later if you want to.

gavin
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,242Gear list
Like?
Re: Best starting lens set
In reply to Craig from Nevada, Feb 12, 2013

Thanks. She bought the OM-D as she is going to Antarctica this week. Need to weatherproofing

-- hide signature --

gavin's gear list:gavin's gear list
Sony RX100 Pentax WG-3 Canon EOS 5D Mark II Canon EF 50mm f/1.4 USM Canon EF 24-70mm f/2.8L USM +2 more
Barry Stewart
Veteran MemberPosts: 8,099Gear list
Like?
So she got the 12-50?
In reply to gavin, Feb 12, 2013

If so, it's weather-proofed.

One concern will be water spray/rain on the front element. Nice for some shots — but not ALL.

If it's salt spray, she'll need a way of dealing with that.

Greg (Daddyo around here) is high on the 2x in-camera teleconverter feature, which doubles the reach of any lens you use. He says it's better than cropping later. If your sister only has the 12-50 and wants more range on some shots, she should keep that in mind. (And make sure to turn it off when not needed.)

I'm not talking about the 2x conversion-to-35mm-speak factor of any Olympus lens. That the 12-50 lens is 'equivalent' to a 24-100 lens is a given. This digital teleconverter turns it into a 48-200.

-- hide signature --

Barry

Barry Stewart's gear list:Barry Stewart's gear list
Olympus C-5060 Wide Zoom Olympus Tough TG-3 Olympus E-1 Olympus PEN E-PL5 Olympus E-M1 +10 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads