First outing with Samyang fisheye

Started Feb 9, 2013 | Discussions
Shop cameras & lenses ▾
raymb Regular Member • Posts: 485
First outing with Samyang fisheye
2

After looking at fisheye shots from Roel Hendrickx and others I jumped on a mint cond Samyang 7.5 on ebay. the following bubble shots  were de-fished with Hemi. I am looking forward to trying out more without defishing.

 raymb's gear list:raymb's gear list
Olympus OM-D E-M5 Olympus E-M1 Olympus 12-40mm F2.8 Olympus M.Zuiko ED 75-300mm 1:4.8-6.7 II Panasonic Lumix G Vario 45-150mm F4-5.6 ASPH Mega OIS
BingoCharlie Contributing Member • Posts: 849
Re: First outing with Samyang fisheye

Really nice shots and great use of the fisheye.  What a superb little lens.

amtberg Veteran Member • Posts: 5,532
Re: First outing with Samyang fisheye

raymb wrote:

After looking at fisheye shots from Roel Hendrickx and others I jumped on a mint cond Samyang 7.5 on ebay. the following bubble shots were de-fished with Hemi. I am looking forward to trying out more without defishing.

You've got an eye for it (no pun intended).  The second and third shots are wonderful.

amipal
amipal Regular Member • Posts: 442
Re: First outing with Samyang fisheye

raymb wrote:

Love this shot, encompassed in bubbles!

 amipal's gear list:amipal's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH3 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GM5 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 9-18mm F4.0-5.6 Panasonic Lumix G 20mm F1.7 ASPH Panasonic Lumix G Vario 100-300mm F4-5.6 OIS +4 more
raymb OP Regular Member • Posts: 485
Re: Thanks for looking

Hi It certainly looks to be a fun lens, with the added bonus of being great for close ups too.

Regards Ray

 raymb's gear list:raymb's gear list
Olympus OM-D E-M5 Olympus E-M1 Olympus 12-40mm F2.8 Olympus M.Zuiko ED 75-300mm 1:4.8-6.7 II Panasonic Lumix G Vario 45-150mm F4-5.6 ASPH Mega OIS
tedolf
tedolf Forum Pro • Posts: 22,049
This lens is so cool.....

it is unbelievable.

The IQ, the price, the size, the mechanical quality.

It is one of the lenses that makes the case for u 4/3.

20mm f/1.7,   45mm f/1.8 and 40-150mm zoom being the others.

Maybe the 9-18mm too.

Tedolph

 tedolf's gear list:tedolf's gear list
Olympus PEN E-P5 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 17mm 1:2.8 Pancake Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 9-18mm F4.0-5.6 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 40-150mm 1:4-5.6 Samyang 7.5mm F3.5 UMC Fisheye MFT +8 more
RoelHendrickx
RoelHendrickx Forum Pro • Posts: 24,399
Looks like you got soapy

raymb wrote:

After looking at fisheye shots from Roel Hendrickx and others I jumped on a mint cond Samyang 7.5 on ebay.

Too much credit here.  Or is it blame?

the following bubble shots were de-fished with Hemi. I am looking forward to trying out more without defishing.

That guy is cool, and knowing what the lens does, I think you got very close...

-- hide signature --

Roel Hendrickx
lots of images: www.roelh.zenfolio.com
my E-3 user field report from Tunisian Sahara: http://www.biofos.com/ukpsg/roel.html

RoelHendrickx
RoelHendrickx Forum Pro • Posts: 24,399
Getting all soapy, huh?

EDIT: no double post intended, but my first attempt to post failed, or so it looked like.

raymb wrote:

After looking at fisheye shots from Roel Hendrickx and others I jumped on a mint cond Samyang 7.5 on ebay.

Too much credit here... Or is it blame?

the following bubble shots were de-fished with Hemi. I am looking forward to trying out more without defishing.

Cool sequence.

Knowing what the lens does, I am thinking you got really close.

-- hide signature --

Roel Hendrickx
lots of images: www.roelh.zenfolio.com
my E-3 user field report from Tunisian Sahara: http://www.biofos.com/ukpsg/roel.html

raymb OP Regular Member • Posts: 485
Re: Getting all soapy, huh?

Hi Roel, you are right the bubble burst over the lens causing a bit of mess on the front element. You definately get the credit, after looking at your examples, and when a mint copy came upon Ebay for £170.00 it was a no brainer.

Regards Ray

 raymb's gear list:raymb's gear list
Olympus OM-D E-M5 Olympus E-M1 Olympus 12-40mm F2.8 Olympus M.Zuiko ED 75-300mm 1:4.8-6.7 II Panasonic Lumix G Vario 45-150mm F4-5.6 ASPH Mega OIS
raymb OP Regular Member • Posts: 485
Re: This lens is so cool.....
1

Hi Ted, I did own a 9-18 it is a great lens, however when I used Exposure plot it showed that over 90% of the shots  were taken at the 9mm end.I also prefer to use primes so of to ebay it went.

Regards Ray

 raymb's gear list:raymb's gear list
Olympus OM-D E-M5 Olympus E-M1 Olympus 12-40mm F2.8 Olympus M.Zuiko ED 75-300mm 1:4.8-6.7 II Panasonic Lumix G Vario 45-150mm F4-5.6 ASPH Mega OIS
TorsteinH
TorsteinH Senior Member • Posts: 1,089
Re: This lens is so cool.....

raymb wrote:

Hi Ted, I did own a 9-18 it is a great lens, however when I used Exposure plot it showed that over 90% of the shots were taken at the 9mm end.I also prefer to use primes so of to ebay it went.

Regards Ray

...but 9mm UWA is quite a different story from FishEye. So what 9mm prime did you find?

-- hide signature --

www.ohb.no/foto
Torstein

 TorsteinH's gear list:TorsteinH's gear list
Olympus OM-D E-M5 Panasonic Lumix G 20mm F1.7 ASPH Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 45mm F1.8 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 12-50mm 1:3.5-6.3 EZ Adobe Photoshop Lightroom 5 +2 more
raymb OP Regular Member • Posts: 485
Re: This lens is so cool.....

Hi, I haven't replaced the 9-18. I only used it very occasionally and I felt that there was too much money tied up in a zoom lens that I was only using mostly at one focal length.

I see the Samsung not so much as replacement but as fun lens that can do wide angle when de-fished. Of course I am still at the early stages of using it so time will tell.

Regards Ray

 raymb's gear list:raymb's gear list
Olympus OM-D E-M5 Olympus E-M1 Olympus 12-40mm F2.8 Olympus M.Zuiko ED 75-300mm 1:4.8-6.7 II Panasonic Lumix G Vario 45-150mm F4-5.6 ASPH Mega OIS
reygon Senior Member • Posts: 2,035
Re: First outing with Samyang fisheye

Nice shots. It will even show its capabilities on other subjects (e.g. Landscape and buildings) later. Have fun with your new toy

-- hide signature --

reygon
----------------------------------------------------------------
Take nothing but photos... Kill nothing but time... Leave nothing but footprints...

Aleo Veuliah
Aleo Veuliah MOD Forum Pro • Posts: 14,628
Re: First outing with Samyang fisheye

Liked. Favorite is the last picture.


-- hide signature --

Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication.
Pure logic is the ruin of the spirit.
Imagination is more important than knowledge.
God is the tangential point between zero and infinity.
Aleo Photo Site

 Aleo Veuliah's gear list:Aleo Veuliah's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-ZS1 Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ1000 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GF1 Panasonic Lumix DMC-G2 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH4 +4 more
Isacas Contributing Member • Posts: 525
Other Samyang masters on dp review

Besides Roel and company, I invite you to check out the Samyang undefished images obtained by camperbc from the Sony forum. They are truly outstanding and made me buy this lens when I was shooting with Sony. I now have the micro4/3 version and love its sharpness and contrast. Here are Glen's images:

http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/read.asp?forum=1037&message=41199486

 Isacas's gear list:Isacas's gear list
Olympus OM-D E-M10 Olympus E-M5 II Panasonic Lumix G X Vario 35-100mm F2.8 OIS Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 9-18mm F4.0-5.6 Olympus 12-40mm F2.8 +4 more
RoelHendrickx
RoelHendrickx Forum Pro • Posts: 24,399
Great stuff in that link

Isacas wrote:

Besides Roel and company, I invite you to check out the Samyang undefished images obtained by camperbc from the Sony forum. They are truly outstanding and made me buy this lens when I was shooting with Sony. I now have the micro4/3 version and love its sharpness and contrast. Here are Glen's images:

http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/read.asp?forum=1037&message=41199486

Glen knows how to use his fisheye in order to make the results look natural without defishing:

* horizon centered

* avoid verticals near the edges

-- hide signature --

Roel Hendrickx
lots of images: www.roelh.zenfolio.com
my E-3 user field report from Tunisian Sahara: http://www.biofos.com/ukpsg/roel.html

zabatman Regular Member • Posts: 428
Re: Great stuff in that link

RoelHendrickx wrote:

Isacas wrote:

Besides Roel and company, I invite you to check out the Samyang undefished images obtained by camperbc from the Sony forum. They are truly outstanding and made me buy this lens when I was shooting with Sony. I now have the micro4/3 version and love its sharpness and contrast. Here are Glen's images:

http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/read.asp?forum=1037&message=41199486

Glen knows how to use his fisheye in order to make the results look natural without defishing:

* horizon centered

* avoid verticals near the edges

-- hide signature --

Roel Hendrickx
lots of images: www.roelh.zenfolio.com
my E-3 user field report from Tunisian Sahara: http://www.biofos.com/ukpsg/roel.html

Here are two, one with the horizon centred. Quite a difference.

And just for fun:

 zabatman's gear list:zabatman's gear list
Olympus XZ-1 Olympus OM-D E-M5 Olympus E-M5 II Panasonic Leica Summilux DG 25mm F1.4 Rokinon 7.5mm 1:3.5 UMC Fisheye CS +14 more
RoelHendrickx
RoelHendrickx Forum Pro • Posts: 24,399
Re: Great stuff in that link

zabatman wrote:

RoelHendrickx wrote:

Isacas wrote:

Besides Roel and company, I invite you to check out the Samyang undefished images obtained by camperbc from the Sony forum. They are truly outstanding and made me buy this lens when I was shooting with Sony. I now have the micro4/3 version and love its sharpness and contrast. Here are Glen's images:

http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/read.asp?forum=1037&message=41199486

Glen knows how to use his fisheye in order to make the results look natural without defishing:

* horizon centered

* avoid verticals near the edges

-- hide signature --

Roel Hendrickx
lots of images: www.roelh.zenfolio.com
my E-3 user field report from Tunisian Sahara: http://www.biofos.com/ukpsg/roel.html

I take both approaches:

* sometimes I want to give and impression of normalcy

* sometimes I use the FE effect to the max in order to show the roundness of the planet...

Like in your examples, indeed

Here are two, one with the horizon centred. Quite a difference.

And just for fun:

-- hide signature --

Roel Hendrickx
lots of images: www.roelh.zenfolio.com
my E-3 user field report from Tunisian Sahara: http://www.biofos.com/ukpsg/roel.html

raymb OP Regular Member • Posts: 485
Re: Keep the samples coming

I am learning a lot.  Thanks

regards Ray

 raymb's gear list:raymb's gear list
Olympus OM-D E-M5 Olympus E-M1 Olympus 12-40mm F2.8 Olympus M.Zuiko ED 75-300mm 1:4.8-6.7 II Panasonic Lumix G Vario 45-150mm F4-5.6 ASPH Mega OIS
RoelHendrickx
RoelHendrickx Forum Pro • Posts: 24,399
Samples? If you visit my zenfolio galleries...

raymb wrote:

I am learning a lot. Thanks

regards Ray

If you visit my zenfolio galleries, you will find a great number of FE shots.

They are scattered throughout the chapters, but mostly under

SPORT: http://roelh.zenfolio.com/f140234235

ARCHITECTURE: http://roelh.zenfolio.com/f376749605

But I also use them at

EVENTS: http://roelh.zenfolio.com/f264633344

(In that section, check out the Fly-In : an airshow shot exclusively with fisheye.)

And also of course during my

TRAVELS: http://roelh.zenfolio.com/f209747629

-- hide signature --

Roel Hendrickx
lots of images: www.roelh.zenfolio.com
my E-3 user field report from Tunisian Sahara: http://www.biofos.com/ukpsg/roel.html

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads