Is anyone using Cone cartridges in an Epson R2400?

Started Feb 9, 2013 | Questions
TonyGamble
Senior MemberPosts: 2,249
Like?
Is anyone using Cone cartridges in an Epson R2400?
Feb 9, 2013

You can guess I have problems.

There is no point in explaning them here unless there is anyone with a similar setup.

Suffice it to say I have doubts about the cartridges supplied.

I'll post at length if anyone around here might be able to help.

Tony

London UK

ANSWER:
jtoolman
Senior MemberPosts: 4,604
Like?
Re: Is anyone using Cone cartridges in an Epson R2400?
In reply to TonyGamble, Feb 9, 2013

TonyGamble wrote:

You can guess I have problems.

There is no point in explaning them here unless there is anyone with a similar setup.

Suffice it to say I have doubts about the cartridges supplied.

I'll post at length if anyone around here might be able to help.

Tony

London UK

There is no huge difference between CONE and others. So what is the problem?

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
TonyGamble
Like?
In reply to jtoolman, Feb 9, 2013

John,

Briefly for the moment lest I bore you with the full saga.

I started with problems getting eight clean nozzle printouts.

When I got all eight clean I did a profile and got some good prints.

Overnight something leaked and my print head took well over an hour to clean. I left the cartridges out of the machine for safety.

The next day I never managed to get all nozzles clean. Get one right with a flush cassette and another one would fail. In desparation I re-installed all eight Epson cartriidges and after two nozzle cleans I had a fully functioning system.

Is there any likelyhood that the cartridges are not seating properly? If they were not they might either never feed ink or alternatively leak it overnight?

Tony

jtoolman
Like?

TonyGamble wrote:

John,

Briefly for the moment lest I bore you with the full saga.

I started with problems getting eight clean nozzle printouts.

When I got all eight clean I did a profile and got some good prints.

Overnight something leaked and my print head took well over an hour to clean. I left the cartridges out of the machine for safety.

The next day I never managed to get all nozzles clean. Get one right with a flush cassette and another one would fail. In desparation I re-installed all eight Epson cartriidges and after two nozzle cleans I had a fully functioning system.

Is there any likelyhood that the cartridges are not seating properly? If they were not they might either never feed ink or alternatively leak it overnight?

Tony

It sounds like several possible problems.

The ink ports are not sealing around the ink stems so ink is leaking.

I assume the carts have been properly primed to remove air and introduce ink into the exit ink chamber located where the Sub Micron filter.

Leaky ink refill hole plug will be another cause, specially since during use youhave to have the Ari Vent plug removed. If it's the type that had a vent port tape applied which you removed then if a fill plug that does not seal is in place, the cart will indeed empty itself out and flood the purge pad/capping station.

Would you believe it if I told you that OEM R2400 carts are perfectly refillable and resettable?

You do need a few supplies to accomplish that. Rjettek sells these but you might be able to find equivalents in the UK

http://www.rjettek.com/Inkjet-Supplies/Epson-Super-Valve-Plug-Kit.html

Take a look at my video. I am refilling stylus 2200 carts but the R2400 ones refill the same way.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fB8QspjBbhk

I have been doing this for ages. I even buy 110 / 220 ml OEM ink carts for the PRO4800 on ebay so I can use OEM to refill with so ZERO quality compromizes.

You do not nee everything included in this kit, just look at the video and decide what you need and do not need.

They do have a minimum order amount. I think it is $30.

Joe

TonyGamble
Like?

Joe,

What an illuminating reply.

What is odd that when I ordered the extra two sets of cartridges so I could keep them filled with purging solution I was told they were out of stock and would be for another two weeks.

To me that suggests three things:-

One that I bought the last two in my initial order. Two that there has been a big run on them since then. Or three, and I cannot believe this is the case as Jon is so well spoken of around here, that they have withdrawn them and are waiting for some alternative.

Several days of research on this forum suggested I would be in safe hands with Cone products. I read how Jon Cone designed his own inks that were exclusive to him and visited cartridge making factories in China to monitor quality control.

One of the eight syringes they sent me had a crack in the side. These cartridges are so inexpensive I wonder how well they are checked.

Tony

jtoolman
Like?

TonyGamble wrote:

Joe,

What is odd that when I ordered the extra two sets of cartridges so I could keep them filled with purging solution I was told they were out of stock and would be for another two weeks.

One that I bought the last two in my initial order. Two that there has been a big run on them since then. Or three, and I cannot believe this is the case as Jon is so well spoken of around here, that they have withdrawn them and are waiting for some alternative.

Several days of research on this forum suggested I would be in safe hands with Cone products. I read how Jon Cone designed his own inks that were exclusive to him and visited cartridge making factories in China to monitor quality control.

One of the eight syringes they sent me had a crack in the side. These cartridges are so inexpensive I wonder how well they are checked.

Tony

Jon Cone does have a very good reputation and does provide very good customer service, but the truth is, us refillers comprise a very tiny portion of his company's total business. He tries very hard to keep us happy though.

On your points listed above, it makes sense that they likely ran out and are just waiting for more to come in. They do not sell too many carts for the older Epson "R" model such as the R2400.

Among their refilling home customers like us, it's the 3800/3880 and above printer PRO model owners that comprise the largest cross section of his K3 ink customers.

I have experienced the same exact problems a couple of time in my long history in printing and refilling. It's always pretty random and even switching carts from the same batch will often solve the leaks.

The leaking, bad nozzle checks and other crazy problems, seem to always be caused by the actual cart, the plugs, the outlet seals / valves, and of course, user error as in sub optimal initial priming.

Switching back to OEM almost 100% fixes those problems.

You should be able to get a satisfactory answer from Jon. He is a good guy!

Joe

jtoolman
Like?

jtoolman wrote:

TonyGamble wrote:

Joe,

Tony

Jon Cone does have a very good reputation and does provide very good customer service, but the truth is, us refillers comprise a very tiny portion of his company's total business. He tries very hard to keep us happy though.

On your points listed above, it makes sense that they likely ran out and are just waiting for more to come in. They do not sell too many carts for the older Epson "R" model such as the R2400.

Among their refilling home customers like us, it's the 3800/3880 and above printer PRO model owners that comprise the largest cross section of his K3 ink customers.

I have experienced the same exact problems a couple of time in my long history in printing and refilling. It's always pretty random and even switching carts from the same batch will often solve the leaks.

The leaking, bad nozzle checks and other crazy problems, seem to always be caused by the actual cart, the plugs, the outlet seals / valves, and of course, user error as in sub optimal initial priming.

Switching back to OEM almost 100% fixes those problems.

You should be able to get a satisfactory answer from Jon. He is a good guy!

Joe

In case youhave not seen this from inkjetmall support:

http://shopping.netsuite.com/s.nl/c.362672/it.I/id.220/.f

TonyGamble
Like?

Thanks Joe.

The demo is shown filling a cartridge from the top.

In the manual for the 2400 here they fill from the bottom.

http://www.inkjetmall.com/tech/content.php?121-Refillable-Cartridge-instruction-manuals

I hope I am doing the right thing in filling from near the exit valve.

Tony

TonyGamble
Like?

Joe,

"Jon Cone does have a very good reputation and does provide very good customer service, but the truth is, us refillers comprise a very tiny portion of his company's total business. He tries very hard to keep us happy though."

That is what worries me about the 2400 cartridges. They sell at around 3 USD a time. Not a lot of money to manufacture, ship to the US and quality check.

I'm hoping another 2400 user with Cone will surface on this thread. Otherwise I am of a mind to run down my OEM ink, buy a 3880 and sell the 2400 on eBay.

Tony

jtoolman
Like?

TonyGamble wrote:

Thanks Joe.

The demo is shown filling a cartridge from the top.

In the manual for the 2400 here they fill from the bottom.

http://www.inkjetmall.com/tech/content.php?121-Refillable-Cartridge-instruction-manuals

I hope I am doing the right thing in filling from near the exit valve.

Tony

Those are not the carts you got. I guarantee it!

They are just like the ones Dana is demostrating on the video. Initial fill is done via vacuum method. Those carts in the PDF are ancient!

Did you really have a fill port next to the exit port?????

I've never see that in the over 10 years I've doing this.

Here is my suggestion.

Remove each cart ( with ink )

Tape the vent and exit port and with a syringe with about 10 ml ( NO AIR )  each do what she does.

You insert into the fill hole, Puill back the plunger to create a vacuum, slowly release plunger, repeat unitl no more ink enters the cart.

Remove syringe and carefull reinsert the fill plug. Untape the exit port and vent hole and see if you are getting any leaks out of the exit hole. Is not, reinsert back into the printer and repeat the process for every other cart.

When refilling is needed you just fill from the top with a needle.

Joe

jtoolman
Like?

TonyGamble wrote:

Joe,

"Jon Cone does have a very good reputation and does provide very good customer service, but the truth is, us refillers comprise a very tiny portion of his company's total business. He tries very hard to keep us happy though."

That is what worries me about the 2400 cartridges. They sell at around 3 USD a time. Not a lot of money to manufacture, ship to the US and quality check.

I'm hoping another 2400 user with Cone will surface on this thread. Otherwise I am of a mind to run down my OEM ink, buy a 3880 and sell the 2400 on eBay.

Tony

Sure that's always an option. The 3880 is totally awesome.

johnpeeay
Regular MemberPosts: 123
Like?

Looking at Inkjetmall website, the K3 ink and cartridges page has a link showing you how to fill the cartridges. FILL USING THE PLUG NEXT TO THE EXIT PORT. NOT LIKE THE ONES DEMONSTRATED IN THE DANA VIDEO!! Lets hear what Jon Cone has to say about Tony's problem carts.

jtoolman
Like?
In reply to johnpeeay, Feb 9, 2013

johnpeeay wrote:

Looking at Inkjetmall website, the K3 ink and cartridges page has a link showing you how to fill the cartridges. FILL USING THE PLUG NEXT TO THE EXIT PORT. NOT LIKE THE ONES DEMONSTRATED IN THE DANA VIDEO!! Lets hear what Jon Cone has to say about Tony's problem carts.

OK, this totally new to me. I too would be interested to hear this.

But if you take a look at the carts for the R2400 shown in:

http://shopping.netsuite.com/s.nl/c.362672/it.A/id.6664/.f

They are excallty as I have been describing to the OP.

BUT... the Pdf says otherwise so... we will have to see.

Tony please take some pics of these carts for me to look at. I've never seen carts like these EVER!!!!

Joe

TonyGamble
Like?

"Those are not the carts you got. I guarantee it!

They are just like the ones Dana is demostrating on the video. Initial fill is done via vacuum method. Those carts in the PDF are ancient!

Did you really have a fill port next to the exit port?????

I've never see that in the over 10 years I've doing this."

That really is weird. The PDF is what came with the cartridges. I have two copies.

On the video with Dana she removes a tab with a flap from the top of the cartridge and at the far end from the plastic locking device i.e. near the chip. The cartridges I have got have the tab with the flap near the lock and at the end that does not hold the chip. In the PDF it is called 'Unused hole keep plug IN'

Which of my plugs would you fill? The one Cone say should not be used?

If I were to fill them your way how could I check whether they were leaking in my machine? I really don't want to face another major clean up.

Back  to the 3880. One attraction is that it comes with around 350 UKP of ink.

Tony

TonyGamble
Like?

Green is for filling !!

Red is the vacuum plug that is removed whilst printing

jtoolman
Like?

TonyGamble wrote:

Green is for filling !!

Red is the vacuum plug that is removed whilst printing

Well, apicture is worth a thousand words but I still say there very old design and no one I know is selling this style anymore.

As I said in my first repply OEM carts are esaily refilled and they will then work as reliably as OEM.

TonyGamble
Like?

"no one I know is selling this style anymore."

Fascinating. And this is the company that travels to China to source the best cartridges?

I'll look at the OEM filling option tomorrow (UK Time is dinner time now).

Tony

jtoolman
Like?

TonyGamble wrote:

"no one I know is selling this style anymore."

Fascinating. And this is the company that travels to China to source the best cartridges?

I'll look at the OEM filling option tomorrow (UK Time is dinner time now).

Tony

Tony, who knows, they may have gone back to that style. But the God Honest truth is that this is the first time I've ever seen them.

I have 5 empty sets of the latest Chinese carts and they are like the ones Dana is filling in the video.

Joe

TonyGamble
Like?
In reply to jtoolman, Feb 10, 2013

Sunday,

Thanks, Joe, for all that advice. I am just about to watch your video about refilling OEM cartridges. However, as it will take me 25 minutes, I decided to pass on some overnight thoughts.

Firstly, I wonder why those refillables from China are so much smaller than the OEM carts. If they were the same size I presume they would contain at least a third more ink and need refilling a third less often. Why are they so tiny?

Secondly. Much as I have valued your wisdom I am disappointed that more Cone/2400 users have not surfaced. Maybe they are too buzy out shooting moose or something at the weekend. At least a couple more people saying they find Jon's cartridges reliable and easy to use would restore my confidence. Yes, I can follow your route of refilling OEM and at least I know they work and don't flood my printer.

But thirdly...Maybe now is the time to move on from the 2400 to a 3880. What has always deterred me from getting rid of the 2400 before is the fact that, being a cautious chap, I always have had serveral cartridges of each ink in stock. Not many people want to buy three of each colour. Now I am down to about one of each I reckon I can sell the printer and one spare of each colour at the sort of price someone buying second hand on eBay will find tolerable.

I can get a 3880 delivered within 24 hours of closing the sale. Chat around here suggests that it is not immediately to be replaced. Chat around here suggests that any replacement may be less easy to use with third party ink.

I'd buy the printer with one spare set of inks. As the first set ran out I'd ask advice as to the viability of refilling the cartridges with my unused Cone ink. I see that Jon sells empty 3880 cartridges but these require me to remove a chip from an OEM one - so I guess it's just as easy to put Cone into the OEM cartridge and use some of that JetTek kit.

Unless someone surfaces soon I will have to take a view that the two sets of cartridges for the 2400 that Cone sold me are useless - and write them off. You think I am filling them the wrong way. Jon has yet to respond to my Thursday email  - but maybe he is also shooting moose this weekend!

A few questions there for you Joe, and any other lurker.

Hope to hear from you soon.

Tony

jtoolman
Like?
In reply to TonyGamble, Feb 10, 2013

TonyGamble wrote:

Sunday,

Thanks, Joe, for all that advice. I am just about to watch your video about refilling OEM cartridges. However, as it will take me 25 minutes, I decided to pass on some overnight thoughts.\

There plenty of time and one you see how easy it is you might reconsider upgrading for a while.

Firstly, I wonder why those refillables from China are so much smaller than the OEM carts. If they were the same size I presume they would contain at least a third more ink and need refilling a third less often. Why are they so tiny?

I agree, and wonder the same thing myself

Secondly. Much as I have valued your wisdom I am disappointed that more Cone/2400 users have not surfaced. Maybe they are too buzy out shooting moose or something at the weekend. At least a couple more people saying they find Jon's cartridges reliable and easy to use would restore my confidence. Yes, I can follow your route of refilling OEM and at least I know they work and don't flood my printer.

The R2400, though a damn great printer is old and so there is not too much demand for refillable carts for it as you can see, CONE has let their current stock just run out.

But thirdly...Maybe now is the time to move on from the 2400 to a 3880. What has always deterred me from getting rid of the 2400 before is the fact that, being a cautious chap, I always have had serveral cartridges of each ink in stock. Not many people want to buy three of each colour. Now I am down to about one of each I reckon I can sell the printer and one spare of each colour at the sort of price someone buying second hand on eBay will find tolerable.

You can sell them but people will not pay more than pennies on the dollar for them.

I can get a 3880 delivered within 24 hours of closing the sale. Chat around here suggests that it is not immediately to be replaced. Chat around here suggests that any replacement may be less easy to use with third party ink.

There is zero news on any replacement for this printer that I know of.

The upgrade was to the 12 HDR inks and the 4900 prooved to be a LEMON!!!!!

I'd buy the printer with one spare set of inks. As the first set ran out I'd ask advice as to the viability of refilling the cartridges with my unused Cone ink. I see that Jon sells empty 3880 cartridges but these require me to remove a chip from an OEM one - so I guess it's just as easy to put Cone into the OEM cartridge and use some of that JetTek kit.

You could but you will have to get Vivid Magenta inks for your future 3880 not the regular Magenta.

I have bought OEM 110 and 220ml carts meant for the 4800 and 4880 on EBAY for just about a couple of dollars more per 110ml, and sometimes for less that equivalent CONE volumes. I then extract the OEM inks and refill my R2400 R2880 and PRO 3800s I get OEM performance for about the same as the BEST 3rd party which is cone.

Unless someone surfaces soon I will have to take a view that the two sets of cartridges for the 2400 that Cone sold me are useless - and write them off. You think I am filling them the wrong way. Jon has yet to respond to my Thursday email - but maybe he is also shooting moose this weekend!

The way I fill my refillables has to do with the fact that they do not have a botton fill plug like yours do. I can't even begin to guess if yo did it wrong or not. Since this method is totally strange to me.

New Modern R2400 carts are have a self priming chamber so you simple inject ink ink put the fill plug in and remove the vent tape tab. You could is you wish suck out a bit of ink from the exit port just before inserting into the printer for the first time.

A few questions there for you Joe, and any other lurker.

Hopefully you will hear from him this week.

Hope to hear from you soon.

Tony

Joe

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads