please help out: how to update nex firmware (5N)

Started Feb 9, 2013 | Discussions
ottonis
Contributing MemberPosts: 591Gear list
Like?
please help out: how to update nex firmware (5N)
Feb 9, 2013

Hi all,

I have read all these good news about the new firmware update making the 5N feel snappier, faster, and – most importantly - providing a much more useful EV spacing for bracketing.

Unfortunately, I have no clue where to download the fw update and how to upload it to the camera. Is it necessary to first install the 1.01 update or can I install the 1.02 v straight away?

Is there a risk to permanently damage the camera due to fw updating?

Thanks in advance for all your help!

David

-- hide signature --

www.flicker.com/davidsphotoblog777

ottonis's gear list:ottonis's gear list
Sony Alpha NEX-5N Panasonic Lumix DMC-GM1 Sony E 18-55mm F3.5-5.6 OSS Voigtlander 40mm F1.4 Nokton Classic Samyang 85mm F1.4 Aspherical IF +4 more
Kalabalik
Junior MemberPosts: 27Gear list
Like?
Re: please help out: how to update nex firmware (5N)
In reply to ottonis, Feb 9, 2013

http://esupport.sony.com/US/p/model-home.pl?mdl=NEX5N

Choose your operating system, download the firmware updater software and just follow (the very detailed) instructions. It is really easy. As long as you don't unplug the camera once the updater has started, you should be fine (which the instuctions say like a bazillion times).

Good luck.

Kalabalik's gear list:Kalabalik's gear list
Sony Alpha NEX-5N Sony E 35mm F1.8 OSS
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
ottonis
Like?
In reply to Kalabalik, Feb 9, 2013

Kalabalik wrote:

Choose your operating system, download the firmware updater software and just follow (the very detailed) instructions. It is really easy. As long as you don't unplug the camera once the updater has started, you should be fine (which the instuctions say like a bazillion times).

Good luck.

Thank you very much!

-- hide signature --

Sony Alpha NEX-5N Panasonic Lumix DMC-GM1 Sony E 18-55mm F3.5-5.6 OSS Voigtlander 40mm F1.4 Nokton Classic Samyang 85mm F1.4 Aspherical IF +4 more
Sonyshine
Senior MemberPosts: 4,388Gear list
Like?

Is that a fried NEX I can smell....?   

Just updated my F3, for what its worth, and it went fine.

Sonyshine's gear list:Sonyshine's gear list
Nikon 1 V1 Fujifilm X-E1 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-300mm f/4.5-5.6G VR Nikon AF-S DX Micro Nikkor 40mm F2.8 Nikon 1 Nikkor VR 10-30mm f/3.5-5.6 +6 more
AscherJim
Forum MemberPosts: 81
Like?
In reply to Kalabalik, Feb 9, 2013

Kalabalik wrote:

Good luck.

But be careful with those detailed instructions.  I was finally able to update my 5n, but only after IGNORING some of the instructions.  In the instructions there was something about certain icons appearing in the lower right hand corner of my computer screen, and what to do with them.  But no such icons appeared on my screen, so those icons and instruction are what I ignored.  Good luck.

ottonis
Like?
In reply to AscherJim, Feb 9, 2013

AscherJim wrote:

Kalabalik wrote:

Good luck.

But be careful with those detailed instructions. I was finally able to update my 5n, but only after IGNORING some of the instructions. In the instructions there was something about certain icons appearing in the lower right hand corner of my computer screen, and what to do with them. But no such icons appeared on my screen, so those icons and instruction are what I ignored. Good luck.

Thanks a lot for the heads up! I'll make sure to not get confused by missing icons.

-- hide signature --

Sonyshine
Like?
Re: Bug in NEXF3 firmware upgrade!

Don't rush to upgrade the NexF3. Mine seemed OK and largely it is BUT if I go to zoom into a shot with the centre button on the control dial in playback mode the camera now freezes. ( RAW only, JPEG is fine) You have to remove the battery to restart it.

I have emailed Sony UK support and am now holding my breath....

Nikon 1 V1 Fujifilm X-E1 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-300mm f/4.5-5.6G VR Nikon AF-S DX Micro Nikkor 40mm F2.8 Nikon 1 Nikkor VR 10-30mm f/3.5-5.6 +6 more
Kookie B
Regular MemberPosts: 115Gear list
Like?

> Is it necessary to first install the 1.01 update or can I install the 1.02 v straight away?

I had the same concern, but the instructions said you did not have to install v1.01 before installing 1.02 so I took a shot and went right to the 1.02 installation. No problems - everything turned out fine.

I always have concerns about updating firmware so I make it a point to print out the directions first and then follow them very closely, double-checking at every step along the way.

HTH.

Kookie B.

Sonyshine
Like?
In reply to Kookie B, Feb 9, 2013

even if you install it by the book bugs can surface that Sony don't know about....hopefully not too many!

little jim
Forum MemberPosts: 92Gear list
Like?

I've just finished a successful install of 1.02.  I did not have to install 1.01 first (1.02 includes 1.01). I was also stumped by the missing icon for safe removal of hardware, but pressed on.  One more wrinkle that is explained in the printed instructions is the step where you reset the camera -- the software says press "OK" but the touchscreen will not start the reset -- you have to press the center button as stated in the printed instructions.

Otherwise, the install went fine -- I noticed an immediate change in AF response.  I look forward to the improved software and bugfixes.

Kudos to Sony for the 5N update -- I was really looking forward to this!

LJ

-- hide signature --

little jim

little jim's gear list:little jim's gear list
Sony Alpha NEX-5N Sony Alpha 7 +1 more
ottonis
Like?
In reply to ottonis, Feb 10, 2013

Thank you everybody for your help and guidances! I have just succesfully completed the FW update. Woot! Now the bracketing (= my main shooting mode) is so incredibly much more useful than before! This is fantastic.

Thanks again everyone!!!

(a bright smiling happy 5N user here)

-- hide signature --

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads