Am I crazy? Considering selling my RX100 and getting a Panasonic LX7 or Canon G15.

Started Feb 9, 2013 | Discussions
2eyesee
Senior MemberPosts: 1,264
Like?
Am I crazy? Considering selling my RX100 and getting a Panasonic LX7 or Canon G15.
Feb 9, 2013

I have a Sony RX100, and while in many regards it is a great camera, there are a couple of aspects that are starting to grate with me, and I'm seriously considering selling it and getting either a Canon G15 or Panasonic LX7.

I made a detailed post over in the Canon forum explaining all and I'd really appreciate the comments of any LX7 owners:

http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/thread/3381006

I thought this was probably tidier than making a duplicate post here - thanks.

Canon PowerShot G15 Panasonic Lumix DMC-LX7 Sony RX100
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Realll
Regular MemberPosts: 151Gear list
Like?
Re: Am I crazy? Considering selling my RX100 and getting a Panasonic LX7 or Canon G15.
In reply to 2eyesee, Feb 9, 2013

Hi 2eyesee, I understand what mean because I had same hesitations.Here are my reasons to choose LX7 over RX100 AND Canon G15

1. Wider angle - in fact it is amazing! The sensor of LX7 is multi aspect so in 16:9 you gain additional pixels and angle is wider than 4:3 24 mm!

2. Better low light performance - because of faster lens. This is one very ineteresting russian comparison concerning few enthusiast compacts:

http://podakuni.livejournal.com/702842.html

3. Better video especially in low-light situations. I suggest you to see this movie on YouTube:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z2frl-OmWzU

Canon is even worse than RX100.

4. Exellent image stabilisation! I was able to achieve clear nice looking images at night even at shuter speed 1/2 or 1/4, handheld.

What you loose? Better AUTO! The Auto of LX7 is quite disappointing... There is no articulated screen (as you think). Size is bigger and IQ in normal light can not match RX100.

Realll's gear list:Realll's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ150 Panasonic Lumix DMC-ZS15 Panasonic Lumix DMC-LX7 Sony a5000
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
2eyesee
Like?
Re: Am I crazy? Considering selling my RX100 and getting a Panasonic LX7 or Canon G15.
In reply to Realll, Feb 9, 2013

Realll wrote:

Hi 2eyesee, I understand what mean because I had same hesitations.Here are my reasons to choose LX7 over RX100 AND Canon G15

1. Wider angle - in fact it is amazing! The sensor of LX7 is multi aspect so in 16:9 you gain additional pixels and angle is wider than 4:3 24 mm!

I would love 24mm - never had one before!

2. Better low light performance - because of faster lens. This is one very ineteresting russian comparison concerning few enthusiast compacts:

http://podakuni.livejournal.com/702842.html

Thanks, but that's a hard read - translated from Russian and no side-by-side comparisons. Have you waded through it and formed any conclusions?

3. Better video especially in low-light situations. I suggest you to see this movie on YouTube:

While the G15 seems to have the edge over the LX7 in still image quality, video is still important too me - and a lot of it is indoors. Would you say the LX7 is definitely a better choice for low light video? I'd be interested if anyone else has compared the G15 and LX7 video in low light.

4. Exellent image stabilisation! I was able to achieve clear nice looking images at night even at shuter speed 1/2 or 1/4, handheld.

With the RX100 I am never able to use less than 1/30 sec - at best 1/15 sec if I use continuous shooting with a number of shots and pick a sharp one. Losing 2-3 stops in stabilisation completely negates the RX100's ISO advantage in low light (when you are photographing a static scene).

What you loose? Better AUTO! The Auto of LX7 is quite disappointing... There is no articulated screen (as you think). Size is bigger and IQ in normal light can not match RX100.

Sorry - my mistake. I must have been thinking about the Nikon P7700 (maybe I should also be considering that too!)

Thanks for your feedback - much appreciated!

2eyesee
Like?

2eyesee wrote:

Realll wrote:

While the G15 seems to have the edge over the LX7 in still image quality, video is still important too me - and a lot of it is indoors. Would you say the LX7 is definitely a better choice for low light video? I'd be interested if anyone else has compared the G15 and LX7 video in low light.

I actually found the following video demos courtesy of the Camera Labs site of the G15 and LX7 in the same setting:

G15: http://vimeo.com/53159899
LX7: http://vimeo.com/50394555

It looks to me like the G15 is a bit cleaner/sharper.

Ray Sachs
Senior MemberPosts: 8,794Gear list
Like?
I switched.

I switched from the RX100, which I also found "great but grating" to an LX7 and am having a lot more fun with it. The RX100 has an amazing sensor and very small size and not much else. The LX7 has a much nicer lens, overwhelmingly better controls and interface, and a more comfortable size (if ultra small size isn't a huge priority).  Between the faster and wider lens, the easily switchable multi-aspect sensor, the aperture ring and other controls, the ability to switch quickly and easily between auto and manual focus (and remember your last manual focus settings), I find the LX7 an overwhelmingly more enjoyable camera. I think the RX100 is undeniably better in low light at the wide end - other than that, I'll take the LX7.

I gave the RX100 to my wife. She leaves it in AUTO and snaps away and loves it. But if you want to interact with your gear more than that, it's a maddening camera.

-Ray
-------------------------
http://www.flickr.com/photos/20889767@N05/collections/72157626204295198/

John.Laninga
Senior MemberPosts: 1,760Gear list
Like?
Re: I switched too
In reply to Ray Sachs, Feb 9, 2013

I owned the RX100 and had a good time using it.  Then when the LX7 sale came I bought one, and although the RX100 has a better sensor I found the LX7 has a better lens.  Since in some ways, I'm kind of old school,the better lens appealed to me.  Also, I felt the handling (better access to direct controls) was better on the LX7.

So, I sold the RX100 and with the money I bought the LVF2 finder.  So the total package of LX7 and LVF2 cost less than the RX100.  Using the LVF2 was a revelation on small camera use, you can do things you just can't do with an LCD only.  Especially sunrises/sets, low light, and macro work.

So from someone who has had both I'd say go for the LX-7 and if you can afford it get the LVF2.

John.Laninga's gear list:John.Laninga's gear list
Fujifilm X-S1 Panasonic Lumix DMC-LX7 Fujifilm XF1 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX7 Olympus E-M1 +5 more
peacefrog33756
Regular MemberPosts: 371
Like?
In reply to John.Laninga, Feb 9, 2013

After a relatively short honeymoon with both the RX100 and the G15, I came back to Panasonic a few months ago.  The LX-7 affords me a good lens, fast operation, aspect ratios, relatively low noise, good ergonomics, and reassuring build quality.

Both the RX100 and G15 were very good cameras in their own right; however, having previously owned both the LX-3 and the LX-5, I was very comfortable with the LX-7 the moment I picked it up.  Subjectively, it simply lends itself to my style of shooting.  It is definitely an improvement over the LX-5.  After using it, everything you wish to do with it becomes almost second nature and it simply grows on you.

Dale108
Veteran MemberPosts: 5,222
Like?

While I have an LX7 and tried an RX100, I would keep the camera you have.  In photography the grass always appears greener on the other side of the hill but learn to use the camera you have is cheaper.

Dale

howardfuhrman
Senior MemberPosts: 2,591
Like?

I looked over the advantages that you indicated on the other thread and one you indicated is "LX7 has articulating LCD - G15 has viewfinder".  Just to set the record set, the LX7 does not have an articulating LCD and in bright sunlight I find it difficult to see the LCD.

While I think that the RX100 and Canon G15 are very good cameras, I have a LX7 and I have had very good results.  I purchased on black Friday for $299 which was less than 1/2 the price of the Rx100 at the time.  I knew at the time and still believe that the RX100 is not twice as good as the LX7.  One of my business associates purchased a RX100 and went to Europe and shot auto and got good results.  As for me the LX7 has very accessible adjustments.

While the RX100 has better high ISO performance than the LX7, it's lenses is much slower especially at the long end (less at the wide end) and LX7 faster lens offsets some or all of the advantages of RX100's ISO performance.

The RX100 is smaller than the LX7 and I like that, but has fewer accessible controls. The LX7 has an excellent (but expensive) EVF accessory and I am not sure whether the RX100 has an accessory EVF.

Bottom line I am very satisfied with my LX7. A picture is worth 1,000 words and it can say much more and in a better way than I said in my commentary.

LX7 - Napa CA

Good luck with your decision.

2eyesee
Like?
In reply to peacefrog33756, Feb 9, 2013

peacefrog33756 wrote:

After a relatively short honeymoon with both the RX100 and the G15, I came back to Panasonic a few months ago. The LX-7 affords me a good lens, fast operation, aspect ratios, relatively low noise, good ergonomics, and reassuring build quality.

Both the RX100 and G15 were very good cameras in their own right; however, having previously owned both the LX-3 and the LX-5, I was very comfortable with the LX-7 the moment I picked it up. Subjectively, it simply lends itself to my style of shooting. It is definitely an improvement over the LX-5. After using it, everything you wish to do with it becomes almost second nature and it simply grows on you.

I'm interested to hear you switched from the G15 to LX7. What was the main reason for that? At the moment the G15 is probably looking the better bet as image quality looks about 1 stop better than the LX7. Of course the LX7 makes up about 0.5 stops on its faster lens, but that still gives the G15 a 0.5 stop advantage in IQ (and with these small sensor cameras I'd be inclined to take everything I can get!).

So I'm interested to hear what made you choose the LX7 after using the G15?

peacefrog33756
Regular MemberPosts: 371
Like?

For me, it simply came down to the size of both cams and my preference for the feature set of the LX-7.  For me, the slightly better IQ of the Canon was really negligible.  I can carry about the LX-7 in a jacket pocket all day long.

If IQ is your primary consideration, perhaps the Canon is your best bet; however, I really like the lens of the LX-7 and its UI.  It was, in the end, a personal preference.

photo perzon
Senior MemberPosts: 3,611Gear list
Like?
You might add oly xz-2 and fuji x20 to the list as they best the 7

2eyesee wrote:

I have a Sony RX100, and while in many regards it is a great camera, there are a couple of aspects that are starting to grate with me, and I'm seriously considering selling it and getting either a Canon G15 or Panasonic LX7.

I made a detailed post over in the Canon forum explaining all and I'd really appreciate the comments of any LX7 owners:

Those would have never sold for $250 at amazon for months

the xz-2 and the x20 are pricier as they are considered better

photo perzon's gear list:photo perzon's gear list
Canon PowerShot S120 RX100 III Ricoh GXR A16 24-85mm F3.5-5.5 Olympus PEN E-PL5 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GM1
Kevin Coppalotti
Veteran MemberPosts: 7,986
Like?
RX100 too small

I never realised how small the RX100 was until i saw it a display case at a local store. did someone say girlie mans camera?, - how does someone with proper man hands get a grip on that sucker?

-- hide signature --
tedandtricia
Senior MemberPosts: 1,088Gear list
Like?
Kids on LX7

I noticed you mentioned that you have little kids that you want to photograph, but I should mention I have been told many times in dpreview forums that P&S are inadequate for capturing indoor low light photos of kids at high IQ levels without the use of flash.

If you want to shoot kids indoors on the LX7, I have it in P mode at 1/125 min shutter speed to freeze motion, P mode always shoots wide open at f/1.4, and it is set to auto ISO where it usually selects ISO 1000 at night. This is like my own customized auto mode. The contrast detect AF of the LX7 is really top notch, I am finding, and Panny is reputed to have the best CDAF system out there. I am always reading in these DSLR reviews about focus hunting issues, and personally, I have never experienced that with the LX7 indoors. Indoors with normal dim indoor light, my LX7 always nails the focus and fast without shutter delays as long as I use center point AF. (Facial recognition AF is slower). So I am very happy with the AF speed for toddlers. Oldest one isn't 3 yet, so maybe as they run faster it will push the limits of the LX7 more.

While I love the LX7 for its strengths, I don't think kids indoors at night is one of its strengths. ISO 1000 is not a particularly clean shooting ISO for the LX7. And since I feel duty bound to get some award winning keepers for posterity that I can be 100% proud of without any compromises, I have actually been looking into adding another camera. The LX7 is more of my all around portable cam that I throw in my pocket no matter where I'm going.

I'm amazed at the prices on not too old m4/3 bodies like the Panny GX1 and also the 1" sensored Nikon System 1 V1. You can actually get a prime lens + body for about the same price as your RX100. That's what I'm looking into right now. Getting a sensor as large or larger than the RX100 but paired with a good prime lens, not just a slow kit zoom lens probably with all kinds of compromises built into it. Hopefully that will fill my needs with photographing my kids. And if it doesn't, I may end up in the APS-C world at some point. Size doesn't matter to me because I use it at home mostly. At well lit outdoor events I could use the LX7.

Is this your only cam or is this your pocket cam but you already have some others? Don't feel like you have to drink everyone else's coolade for any camera. I am a super big fan of my LX7, but I am going to use it where it fulfills my needs. For me as a relative beginner, I found that once I became willing to own multiple cameras, these decisions got much easier. It's not about finding the perfect camera as much as it is finding the suite of cameras that fulfill your spectrum of needs. The perfect camera just doesn't exist.

tedandtricia's gear list:tedandtricia's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-LX7 Nikon D7000 Nikon 1 V1 Fujifilm X-E1 Nikon AF Nikkor 85mm f/1.4D +10 more
GeraldW
Veteran MemberPosts: 5,890Gear list
Like?

I posted a much more complete response on the Canon forum.  However, the G15 is thinner front to back than the LX7 with its lens projection and separate cap.  The difference is close to half an inch.  Difference in weight is a little under 2 oz. in favor of the LX7.

-- hide signature --

Jerry

GeraldW's gear list:GeraldW's gear list
Canon PowerShot A710 IS Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ200 Canon PowerShot G15
jazzage
New MemberPosts: 20
Like?
I Have Both the LX7 and the RX100
In reply to GeraldW, Feb 9, 2013

I think the LX7 and RX100 compliment each other well.

The LX7 excels in several ways: 24mm wide angle, excellent MF implementation that is especially useful for macro, a comprehensive set of art filters that can be tweaked and applied both before and after the shot, and IMHO the best user interface of any small camera.

The RX100 has a unique set if filters ("illustration: and "watercolor") that cannot be found on any other manufacturer's camera, and the IQ is in a class by itself among smaller cameras. I recently took the RX100 on vacation with the Olympus OM-D and the IQ of the little Sony was just as good as the Oly with kit lens.

Tom Paull
Regular MemberPosts: 311Gear list
Like?
Re: I Have Both the LX7 and the RX100
In reply to jazzage, Feb 9, 2013

What sold me on the LX7 was to add the DMW-LVF2 external live view finder.  The glare, on a sunny day, makes back screen picture taking a bit harder to see. The view finder is a great fix and a great to use.  Learn this adding live view to my Sony NEX-5N.

Good Luck

Tom Paull's gear list:Tom Paull's gear list
Sony Cyber-shot DSC-RX10 Sony Cyber-shot DSC-HX400V Sony a6000 RX100 III Sony E 55-210mm F4.5-6.3 OSS +2 more
SwatOx
Regular MemberPosts: 396Gear list
Like?
View Finder
In reply to Tom Paull, Feb 9, 2013

As an alternative to the expensive EVF (which I'm sure is terrific) you might consider ClearViewer, a plastic device that fits into the hotshoe, extends a couple of inches and has a good magnifier to view the screen on sunny days. I find it does what I need it to do: namely, frame properly. It comes in two 'qualities', and I got the better one: $40.  Take a look at "clearview.com" as an alternative. Is it as good as an EVF? Well, almost certainly not (compared, e.g., to my FZ200 EVF). But for seeing what you are taking, it is great: you can put your eye within 2" of the screen and see everything clearly. Take a look.... And good luck getting an LX7: I love it! Great complement to my FZ200.

SwatOx's gear list:SwatOx's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-LX7 Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ200 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH3 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 100-300mm F4-5.6 OIS Panasonic 12-35mm F2.8 +1 more
photo perzon
Senior MemberPosts: 3,611Gear list
Like?
Re: I switched.
In reply to Ray Sachs, Feb 9, 2013

Ray Sachs wrote:

I switched from the RX100, which I also found "great but grating" to an LX7 and am having a lot more fun with it. The RX100 has an amazing sensor and very small size and not much else. The LX7 has a much nicer lens, overwhelmingly better controls and interface, and a more comfortable size (if ultra small size isn't a huge priority). Between the faster and wider lens, the easily switchable multi-aspect sensor, the aperture ring and other controls, the ability to switch quickly and easily between auto and manual focus (and remember your last manual focus settings), I find the LX7 an overwhelmingly more enjoyable camera. I think the RX100 is undeniably better in low light at the wide end - other than that, I'll take the LX7.

I gave the RX100 to my wife. She leaves it in AUTO and snaps away and loves it. But if you want to interact with your gear more than that, it's a maddening camera.

-Ray
-------------------------
http://www.flickr.com/photos/20889767@N05/collections/72157626204295198/

But Ray the Sony RX1 has the same controls and interface and a warm following.

What is it about the Sony that gives it inferior controls and interface?

Personally I like the Leica X1 dials and the similar X100(s) dials.  I like dialing speed and aperture.  I'd even like an ISO dial.

photo perzon's gear list:photo perzon's gear list
Canon PowerShot S120 RX100 III Ricoh GXR A16 24-85mm F3.5-5.5 Olympus PEN E-PL5 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GM1
sigala1
Senior MemberPosts: 3,205
Like?
I don't think you should bother to switch
In reply to 2eyesee, Feb 10, 2013

2eyesee wrote:

While I do think the LX7 has better evenness across the frame, it doesn't lose as much sharpness in the corners, I don't think that alone is worth the effort involved in switching cameras.

Although, that's a warning to everyone not to assume that just because a camera has a bigger sensor and more megapixels doesn't guarantee superior image quality. The lens on the RX100 obviously had to be compromised a little to make it so small. The LX7 lens is much larger even though it has a smaller sensor.

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads