K-5II AF correction >10

Started Feb 9, 2013 | Questions
CtrlAltDel_ru
Junior MemberPosts: 32
Like?
K-5II AF correction >10
Feb 9, 2013

I have 7 lenses and K-5IIs. One of them (Tamron 17-50/2.8) requires more than 10 points of autofocus correction. Is there way to use debug menu? I used it for K100D and K-7.

If I change AF in debug menu will it be active for all lenses or for mounted lens?

ANSWER:
Pentax K100D Pentax K-5 Pentax K-7
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Peleg
Regular MemberPosts: 381
Like?
Re: K-5II AF correction >10
In reply to CtrlAltDel_ru, Feb 9, 2013

I had the same problem with a Sigma lens.  I sent it into an authorized fix-it place and they calibrated it and solved the problem under waranty.  That might be less risky than what you're wanting to do.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Kerusker
Contributing MemberPosts: 723Gear list
Like?

CtrlAltDel_ru wrote:

I have 7 lenses and K-5IIs. One of them (Tamron 17-50/2.8) requires more than 10 points of autofocus correction. Is there way to use debug menu? I used it for K100D and K-7.

PK_Tether should also allow for going into Debug on the K-5 II(s) as it still does on the K-5.

If I change AF in debug menu will it be active for all lenses or for mounted lens?

Yes. AF correction in Debug shifts the center of the -10 to +10 AF Fine Adjust settings in the camera menu (C4/26).

There are several threads about this f.ex. in the most bookmarked list:

http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/post/41747050

If yous lens is still under warranty, you should send it in for calibration.

-- hide signature --

][.Kerusker
we don't see that we don't see (eye's blind spot)

Kerusker's gear list:Kerusker's gear list
Pentax K-5 II Pentax K-5 Pentax smc DA 15mm F4 ED AL Limited Pentax smc DA* 16-50mm F2.8 ED AL (IF) SDM Pentax smc DA 55-300mm F4.0-5.8 ED
selected answer This post was selected as the answer by the original poster.
CtrlAltDel_ru
Junior MemberPosts: 32
Like?
Re:solved

thank you very much

RPulley
Senior MemberPosts: 1,029
Like?

CtrlAltDel_ru wrote:

Yet another Tamron 17-50 f2.8 that does not AF correctly.

I would advise selling the lens and buying a Sigma 17-50 f2.8. The Tamron is notorious for AF problems, and you might well find that when you do adjust the AF tune with debug that it still does not AF properly at some zoom settings.

If you are not afraid of SDM, there seem to be a fair number of used 16-50s showing up at decent prices as well.

In addition, doesn't dialing in an offset via debug then apply to all lenses? If so, you might not be able to dial in your other lenses after the debug change.

I guess the low price of the Tamron just keeps sucking people into buying it, but even a brief search will turn up many reports of AF issues with this lens on every brand.

Ray

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads