Quick Review of the 10-18mm Wide Zoom

Started Feb 9, 2013 | Discussions
NeoTiger
Forum MemberPosts: 50
Like?
Quick Review of the 10-18mm Wide Zoom
Feb 9, 2013

Hey everyone, I've done a quick comparative review of the Sony NEX E-mount 10-18mm wide angle zoom with the 18-200mm zoom and the 16mm prime.

Full review and images can be found here: http://ai-artificialimagination.blogspot.com.au/2013/02/sony-nex-10-18mm-lens-shootout.html

My findings were that the lens is not that sharp at 18mm when comparing to the 18-200mm, which is a bit disappointing. It definitely beats the 16mm prime with the VCL-ECU1 (0.75x converter) though when comparing at the wide end.

I also find that when you're shooting at extreme wide angles, having a zoom is very handy. In this focal length range, a small change in focal length has a huge impact on your composition and framing, so I definitely prefer having the convenience of a zoom as well as being able to walk closer or further from the subject.

achuang
New MemberPosts: 12
Like?
Re: Quick Review of the 10-18mm Wide Zoom
In reply to NeoTiger, Feb 9, 2013

Sorry for going off topic a bit here, but that is a beautiful camera strap you have. Where'd you get it?

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
jk2l
Regular MemberPosts: 171
Like?

can you show crop in the center for each lens too?

moregone
Regular MemberPosts: 107
Like?
In reply to achuang, Feb 9, 2013

achuang wrote:

Sorry for going off topic a bit here, but that is a beautiful camera strap you have. Where'd you get it?

yeah, looks about perfect for the camera

-- hide signature --

I'd rather be an indication of my future, than a product of my past" - Me

NeoTiger
Like?
In reply to achuang, Feb 9, 2013

achuang wrote:

No worries. It's the DSPTCH wrist strap, see http://www.dsptch.com/collections/wrist/products/camera-wrist-strap-olive

It's pretty nice, as you can use the clip to simply clip onto something, or in the pictured configuration where it tightens the strap on your wrist. The paracord is comfortable enough for this sort of weight.

NeoTiger
Like?
In reply to jk2l, Feb 9, 2013

jk2l wrote:

can you show crop in the center for each lens too?

Oh sure, I'll update it with centre crops when I get a chance. I did consider that as I was posting the blog post, but decided that I'd keep it shorter and simpler. Can see the value in doing it though.

Nexographer
Regular MemberPosts: 107
Like?

Interesting. I had exactly the same results comparing the 10-18 to my SEL16 and 18-200. The 10-18 was clearly better than the 16 (with and without UWA-converter), but also clearly inferior at 18mm than the 18-200mm.

But the main reason why I returned the lens was because of the strong magenta corner cast on my NEX-7 at focal lenghts shorter than 14mm. I found that unacceptable for a $/€850,- lens (even if the blame goes to the NEX-7).

Which is a pity since it's the build quality is superb as is the OSS.

And it showed what a great performer the 18-200mm lens is - especially considering its huge zoom range.

aap292
Regular MemberPosts: 132
Like?

Thanks for the review!

Just a quick question from a beginner, would going to a smaller aperture improve the sharpness on the 1018 at 18mm?

offswitch
New MemberPosts: 5Gear list
Like?
In reply to aap292, Feb 9, 2013

aap292 wrote:

Thanks for the review!

Just a quick question from a beginner, would going to a smaller aperture improve the sharpness on the 1018 at 18mm?

As with most lenses it seems, yes, there seems to be an improvement in crispness as you move to a smaller aperture from wide open. A quote from the review at Luminous Landscape says, "Changing the aperture from f/4 to f/5.6, there is a noticeable up-tick of overall image crispness, making it very good indeed"

http://www.luminous-landscape.com/reviews/lenses/sony_super_wa_zoom_e_mount_for_nex.shtml

But most people like to see what the lens is capable of wide open since that's why they got fast lenses for in the first place.

offswitch's gear list:offswitch's gear list
Canon EOS 650D Sony Alpha NEX-6 Sony E 16mm F2.8 Pancake Sony E 55-210mm F4.5-6.3 OSS Sigma 30mm F2.8 EX DN +4 more
NowHearThis
Senior MemberPosts: 2,330Gear list
Like?
Re: One question for you.
In reply to NeoTiger, Feb 10, 2013

NeoTiger wrote:

Hey everyone, I've done a quick comparative review of the Sony NEX E-mount 10-18mm wide angle zoom with the 18-200mm zoom and the 16mm prime.

Full review and images can be found here: http://ai-artificialimagination.blogspot.com.au/2013/02/sony-nex-10-18mm-lens-shootout.html

My findings were that the lens is not that sharp at 18mm when comparing to the 18-200mm, which is a bit disappointing. It definitely beats the 16mm prime with the VCL-ECU1 (0.75x converter) though when comparing at the wide end.

I also find that when you're shooting at extreme wide angles, having a zoom is very handy. In this focal length range, a small change in focal length has a huge impact on your composition and framing, so I definitely prefer having the convenience of a zoom as well as being able to walk closer or further from the subject.

Regarding this image of yours here:  It looks like there is no magenta cast on the corners on this image, did you touch it up and remove it or was this actually what you got from the NEX7?

Thanks, for posting you thoughts BTW.

-- hide signature --

NHT
while ( ! ( succeed = try() ) );

NowHearThis's gear list:NowHearThis's gear list
Olympus OM-D E-M10 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 14-42mm 1:3.5-5.6 II R
NeoTiger
Like?
In reply to NowHearThis, Feb 10, 2013

NowHearThis wrote:

Regarding this image of yours here: It looks like there is no magenta cast on the corners on this image, did you touch it up and remove it or was this actually what you got from the NEX7?

Thanks

All images were shot RAW+JPG, imported into Lightroom, and exported without any processing (other than whatever defaults Lightroom might have).

I haven't really noticed much magenta cast in corners from this lens. Do you have any example photos were the magenta cast is more obvious, so I can have a look and compare?

NeoTiger
Like?
Update: Centre Crops Added

As requested, I have added some centre crops to the review for further comparison. Review is still at http://ai-artificialimagination.blogspot.com.au/2013/02/sony-nex-10-18mm-lens-shootout.html

The centre crops don't change the conclusions much, although I'd note that the sharpness in the centre crop for the 16mm was a bit suprising. Of course, it loses a lot of that sharpness in the corner.

martindesu
Senior MemberPosts: 1,015Gear list
Like?

Nice review.

I assume this is the 18-200 original, not the LE? I have the LE and find it to be a very capable lens.

Thanks again for sharing.

martindesu's gear list:martindesu's gear list
Sony RX1 Sony Alpha NEX-C3 Sony Alpha NEX-7 Sony E 16mm F2.8 Pancake Voigtlander 35mm F1.4 Nokton +2 more
jk2l
Regular MemberPosts: 171
Like?
Re: Update: Centre Crops Added

NeoTiger wrote:

As requested, I have added some centre crops to the review for further comparison. Review is still at http://ai-artificialimagination.blogspot.com.au/2013/02/sony-nex-10-18mm-lens-shootout.html

The centre crops don't change the conclusions much, although I'd note that the sharpness in the centre crop for the 16mm was a bit suprising. Of course, it loses a lot of that sharpness in the corner.

thanks for the update, i am a bit surprising that the 10-18 is doing quite a bit worse than the 16mm one on first image, but at 12mm image 10-18 is much better than 16mm with UWA (also can notice some distortion caused quite a bit problem in image when it got UWA).

NeoTiger
Like?
In reply to martindesu, Feb 10, 2013

martindesu wrote:

Nice review.

I assume this is the 18-200 original, not the LE? I have the LE and find it to be a very capable lens.

Thanks again for sharing.

Thanks for the comment. Yeah, this is the original 18-200mm that came out first.

NowHearThis
Senior MemberPosts: 2,330Gear list
Like?

NeoTiger wrote:

NowHearThis wrote:

Regarding this image of yours here: It looks like there is no magenta cast on the corners on this image, did you touch it up and remove it or was this actually what you got from the NEX7?

Thanks

All images were shot RAW+JPG, imported into Lightroom, and exported without any processing (other than whatever defaults Lightroom might have).

I haven't really noticed much magenta cast in corners from this lens. Do you have any example photos were the magenta cast is more obvious, so I can have a look and compare?

I don't have the lens yet, however, it will likely be the next lens I get.  I've been hearing that this lens has a magenta cast when used on a NEX 7, but the shots I'm seeing don't show that.  Anyway, thanks again for posting and for getting back to me.

-- hide signature --

NHT
while ( ! ( succeed = try() ) );

NowHearThis's gear list:NowHearThis's gear list
Olympus OM-D E-M10 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 14-42mm 1:3.5-5.6 II R
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads